Become a Patron!

Ultroner Theia - Stabwood Pod Mod

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Theia which is a Pod Mod from Ultroner. The Theia was supplied for the purpose of this review by Linky from Sacowin, Ultroner's Marketing Company.

https://www.sacowin.com/

Introduction

Ultroner release their latest stabwood device this time in the form of the latest trend a pod mod. The Theia accommodates a 2ml capacity pod which houses replaceable mesh coils with either 0.6ohm or 1.2ohm resistance.

We have an old school style display and adjustable wattage from 5W to 30W, the device is powered by Ultroner's efficient Sevo Chipset.

The main talking point is that the device accommodates a replaceable Li-Po battery and includes a charging dock to charge the battery externally while also supplying a spare battery. This device offers something a little different so let's crack on!

In The Box

Contents:

1 X Theia Device and Pod
2 X 1000mAh Li-Po Batteries
1 X 1A Charging Dock
2 X Coils (mesh 0.6ohm & 1.2ohm)
1 X Polishing Cloth
1 X Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Theia came in the usual flip open cardboard packaging with viewing window the same shape and size as the device so it can be clearly viewed before opening. I received a device which the most prominent colour is Purple but due to the nature of Stabwood devices all will be unique.

The device is a slim box mod shape with bowed sides and bevelled edging for good hand feel and has the right balance in weight feeling of quality but not over heavy.

The main body is made of stabwood while we have a darkly tinted pod with delrin proprietary drip tip protruding from the top of the device. The stabwood has slight pitting which is common with Ultroner devices but in my opinion it doesn't take away from it's aesthetics. On the face of the device we have a Silver, round fire button top and nearer to the bottom 2 smaller round navigational buttons side by side, central we have the screen then finally at the bottom of the face we have the micro USB port.

Moving to the base we have printed safety marks and a grooved catch as on the base is a hatch door which accommodates a removable Li-Po battery. Being a stabwood fan, in my opinion the Theia is a gorgeous looking device.

Theia Specs and Features:

Dimensions incl pod & drip tip: 95mm x 42mm x 18mm
Weight: 120g
Input Voltage: 3.3V - 4.2V
Power Range: 5W - 30W
Output Voltage: 1V - 8V
Static Currant: Under 50uA
Resistance Range: 0.1ohm - 3ohm
Battery: Removable Li-Po 1000mAh
Multiple Protections
Colour: Stabwood Finishes with the usual Purple's, Green's, Blue's, Red's, Blacks etc as with other Ultroner Stabwood devices (each one unique)

The Pod

The included pod is 2ml capacity and whether larger capacity pods will be available i would have no idea because at the time of writing there is no marketing material about the device available and the manual gives just a few specs about the device but doesn't even mention the pods. In fact the manual really does need to be giving more information as it consists of sparse specs, operating the device and what safety protections the device has but as mentioned doesn't cover the pods, coils, batteries or charging dock.

The pod is very darkly tinted and while i initially thought the visibility was fine that was because i was using Red coloured followed by dark e-liquid but when i switched to a more standard light coloured juice then visibility was not good and i needed a good light sauce to see the level. Up top we have a fixed delrin drip tip so unfortunately i couldn't switch for one of my own.

The coil head get's press fitted into the pod and to one side on the base we have a silicone Black bung which is easy to get hold of and lift, it stays attached to the pod. The fill port is a really good size and i found filling both quick and mess free, the only issue is the need to remove the pod to fill as so many of this type of device has a much more convenient top-fill method.

Fitting The Coils

You receive 2 different coils which simply get press fitted into place with o-rings giving a good seal. Both coils are mesh and the resistance and rating is printed on the base area and you do need to check as this is the only way of telling them apart.

Both coils have the same large wicking holes and the mesh and inner bore of both coils to me look identical but one is 0.6ohm and the other 1.2ohm despite both being rated at 15 to 20W but more about that later.

The Airflow

The Theia like many of these devices (although recently the trend has been changing to adjustable) has fixed airflow so the only control is the bore of the coil and as mentioned both bores look identical with the two supplied coils.

The air comes into the pod via 3 small openings on the spine side of the pod and gets channelled down to the bottom of the coil.

Fitting The Pod

The pod get's secured in place and released via a protruding catch which is situated on one side of the device and it both releases smoothly and secures the pod very well.

Looking inside the shallow bay for the pod to be fitted we have a raised area one side where the fill bung fits into for added protection from leaking, then a lower section where we can see the 2 sturdy spring loaded contacts surrounded by a peek seal. To one side we can see the catch which is operated as mentioned from the side of the device, a really good job!

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Display

The Theia has a sharp, bright old school style of display which is laid out nicely to give plenty of feedback without looking over cluttered. Top Left we have the resistance then underneath this is the voltage, bottom left we have a battery status bar. The top Right of the display is taken up by the wattage and then in the bottom Right section we have both the preheat and time of your vape.

Operating The Device

The Theia is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on the wattage can be adjusted using the navigational buttons from 5W to 30W in 1W increments which i prefer but those that vape MTL at very low wattage's might prefer more micro management of the wattage setting, the adjustment round robins. The device is adjustable wattage only but offers 3 different preheats that can be altered using the fire and up buttons together, the choice is between Normal, Soft or Hard. The only other feature available is pressing both navigational buttons at the same time locks everything including the fire button. As hopefully came across from my description the Theia is a very simple, user friendly device.

Safety Protections

The device has plenty of safety protections which if they kick in the relative protection alert is displayed on the screen, the protections are:

Short Circuit Protection
Low Resistance Protection
High Resistance Protection
Over-heat Protection
Low Voltage Protection
High Voltage Protection

The Battery And Charging Dock Adaptor

The battery gets fitted via the battery hatch door on the base of the device that can be opened and locked back in place via a grooved catch. The battery can only go one way for the contacts to line up so very safe and no need for marked orientation. With or without a battery fitted their is no rattles from the device and the door fits very securely, so no issues whatsoever!

You get supplied with 2 1000mAh Li-Po batteries so you can have the spare ready charged so can simply swap batteries when needed. The device does have a USB port which supports both unlikely firmware updates and charging but being supplied with a 1A charging adaptor dock i really would recommend charging externally, especially as it only takes an hour to charge one of the batteries.

My Experience And Thoughts!

I particularly like Ultroner devices because of the mods they did in collaboration with Asmodus but also like their simple but very efficient Sevo Chipset which i have in a few devices now, finally i'm a sucker for a bit of stabwood! The but side is with the Theia i really thought i would love the device, it's looks and the removable Li-Po batteries but the coils would let it down as was the case with both the Oner and Pixie.

The coils did confuse me because as mentioned apart from the printed resistance being different they look identical in every way, even the bore looks identical and i would say is a little narrow than expected for a 0.6ohm coil but wider than expected for a 1.2ohm coil, even the mesh looks the same. In fact i was actually surprised that indeed when using they were different resistances with the 0.6ohm registering at 0.61ohms and the 1.2ohm being 1.18ohms but i do dispute both having a rating of 15 to 20W

These coils are the best i have used from Ultroner with both giving really good flavour, i started with the 1.2ohm coil at the lowest rating of 15W which i found a very warm vape and although it wicks fine with the large wicking holes (even with 70VG juice) i just wouldn't go higher because of the heat of the vape and ended up using this coil at 10W where the vape was still warm but much better for my preference, with plenty of cloud and flavour on point.

The 0.6ohm coil was much better in the rating range and it still vaped really well at 25W if you like a very warm vape but personally i was at 18W for a very similar vape to what i got from the 1.2ohm coil. A pro for these coils is you get flavour on point at both a lower wattage and temperature but also with a much warmer vape than a lot of this style of device will allow for.

When it comes to draw both coil heads were identical giving a loose MTL draw and also allowing for a very restrictive direct lung vape. I could get a tighter draw by covering a couple of the airflow openings but doing so while vaping was very awkward but a small piece of tape could be your friend!

I really do like having the removable Li-Po batteries included as it allows the device to be a small in-built battery size while being able to both recharge externally and just switching for the charged spare so you never need to be without battery life, add to that the efficient Sevo Chipset it's a real winner.

But the device does have cons, firstly the pod is just too darkly tinted to see lighter juices and although i had no issues with longevity with the coils that won't help much if you run low on juice and get a burn't hit which will no doubt leave a burn't taste until a new coil is fitted. Also needing to remove the pod to fill via the port on the base of the device is a pain and really can't see why we don't have top-fill like most devices have of late, adding to this is there only seems to be a 2ml option so filling is needed quite often. On the plus side is that i found filling quick and mess free and also had no leaking from either the fill port or coil.

Another con for me is the proprietary fixed drip tip as i would prefer the option of using my own and also as mentioned unless using some tape or other method of closing down the airflow the airflow is non adjustable. The wattage adjusts in 1W increments which would be a plus for most usually but with this being a low wattage device i can see some MTL vapers preferring more micro management.

Back to the pros and the device fires instantly and the fire button and navigational buttons give really satisfying clicks, having 3 preheat options is also a bonus. The device looks really nice and feels great in the hand and will be a device i will carry on using just hope their won't be an issue with coil availability in the future!

High build quality
Unique stabwood finishes
Nice weight
Sharp, bright display
Adjustable wattage 5 to 30W in 1W increments
3 preheats
0.6ohm and 1.2ohm mesh coils included
Nice loose MTL draw (both coils)
Restricted DL vape possible
Very good flavour both coils
No leaking suffered from pod
Can get really warm vape if you prefer
Pod secures and releases very impressively
Durable catch for holding pod in place
Removable 1000mAh Li-Po battery
Battery door is very secure
Spare battery
Charging adaptor dock included
Battery charges in 1 hour at 1A
USB supports charging and firmware upgrades (i would recommend using supplied adaptor)

Cons

Darkly tinted pod
Only 2ml option (as far as i am aware)
Bottom fill (need to remove pod to fill)
Airflow non adjustable (unless a bit of creativity is used)
Don't agree with 1.2ohm wattage coil rating
Low wattage users might prefer 0.1W increments (as many will prefer 1W increments so a pro for some)
Proprietary fixed drip tip
Manual needs to be more concise

I would once again like to thank Linky from Sacowin for supplying the Ultroner Theia for the purpose of this review.

https://www.sacowin.com/

VU Sponsors