Become a Patron!

Under or over

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’ve been building my own coils for awhile using a Greek vape kit without the nub twister just by hand because I like spaced coils.

A few times I’ve read that depending on the rba you should wind the coil so the legs are on the bottom.

Is there some different way that I should be winding my coils when the pos and neg poles are on opposite sides so that both legs come from under the coil?

Does that even make sense? Right now one leg will be under and the other from the top of the coil.

Or am I just doing it correctly just not understanding the terminology?

Thanks

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you mean the posts in the rda are opposite of each other? Like a Haku phenom or wasp nano. What RDA/rba are you trying to build for? When building for them the over under to me is the coil itself not the legs perse'. I'll make a few real quick and see. I may be misunderstanding it too.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So you mean "belly up" or "belly down"
Like in a hadaly you want the coil upside down from what we are accustomed to?
IMG_0419.JPG

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well shit how about that. I think this is what you mean. I hold the start of the wire under the screwdriver and wrap over and away
b89b8e44c29c68482fc2c5e0879fc4ea.jpg
7e3c61f80157057e27243e4f9b67fecc.jpg
85948caa557aad02e41d3da4dddb373d.jpg
78a4f23b0fd68c4655dae13e8f1abc3a.jpg

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well shit how about that. I think this is what you mean. I hold the start of the wire under the screwdriver and wrap over and away
b89b8e44c29c68482fc2c5e0879fc4ea.jpg
7e3c61f80157057e27243e4f9b67fecc.jpg
85948caa557aad02e41d3da4dddb373d.jpg
78a4f23b0fd68c4655dae13e8f1abc3a.jpg

Ol well that’s what I’ve been doing. I mean there really isn’t a way to have both legs come from under.

I’ll post a pic tomorrow. Do you always wrap away from you? Is there any reason to wrap or wind towards me?

I know I’m over think this but on some RDAs one of the legs always feels too long.

I’ll try to explain it better tomorrow. Thanks for at least helping me.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes yes yes!!
In most cases you wrap the direction mr meowgi showed and hold the coil belly down- coil down with legs coming from on top.

If the legs are facing the wrong direction wrap the coil in the opposite direction- in other words:
I normally wrap clockwise around the coil rod. To do belly down, I wrap counter clockwise.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do you always wrap away from you? Is there any reason to wrap or wind towards me?

Do you always wrap away from you?
No, not always.

Is there any reason to wrap or wind towards me?
No, not always.

Apologies if both answers seem vague. Sometimes I wrap toward, other times away. Not found any real positive, or negative to either. Not found any rhyme / reason, or lack of rhyme / reason for either.

Ultimately? Well it boils down to wire crossing a gap to close, or complete circuit. Not sure electricity cares how the coil is wrapped. If electricity isn't concerned then, not sure I need concern for wrapping to, or away. All electricity is worried about is "got a path?"

Yes, you are over thinking the plate of beans. I usually try to recall I got fingers. Spoon, fork, spork, knife, ... which one do I choose to eat the beans. Well, I choose to eat the beans, the utensils don't eat. Hell, I can scoop beans up in my fingers if need be. Plate of beans, grab it and growl. You might not get a plate later. Say thank you & pay forward. :)

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, not always.

No, not always.

Apologies if both answers seem vague. Sometimes I wrap toward, other times away. Not found any real positive, or negative to either. Not found any rhyme / reason, or lack of rhyme / reason for either.

Ultimately? Well it boils down to wire crossing a gap to close, or complete circuit. Not sure electricity cares how the coil is wrapped. If electricity isn't concerned then, not sure I need concern for wrapping to, or away. All electricity is worried about is "got a path?"

Yes, you are over thinking the plate of beans. I usually try to recall I got fingers. Spoon, fork, spork, knife, ... which one do I choose to eat the beans. Well, I choose to eat the beans, the utensils don't eat. Hell, I can scoop beans up in my fingers if need be. Plate of beans, grab it and growl. You might not get a plate later. Say thank you & pay forward. :)

I love baked beans but then again I’m from Boston!!

Thanks for your reply:)

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In most cases you wrap the direction mr meowgi showed and hold the coil belly down- coil down with legs coming from on top.

If the legs are facing the wrong direction wrap the coil in the opposite direction- in other words:
I normally wrap clockwise around the coil rod. To do belly down, I wrap counter clockwise.

Ok that’s exactly the answer I was trying to find. Belly up clockwise. Belly done counterclockwise.

I’m just trying to make the most efficient coils for the RBAs I’m using.

Thanks for all the help :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok that’s exactly the answer I was trying to find. Belly up clockwise. Belly done counterclockwise.

I’m just trying to make the most efficient coils for the RBAs I’m using.

Thanks for all the help :)
No worries.. glad to be of help

VU Sponsors