Become a Patron!

Understanding flavor profiles in RTAs

PrinceWizdom

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So i have been trying to understand the Kayfun 5 since i tried it and i think i have finally nailed it. I just like to share my conclusions and what I have experienced from it. Having being vaping for a only a short time, i am in no way an "expert" vaper and i am sure there may be some who thinks my opinions are sacrilege, but since vaping is more of a "do as you like" kind of thing, i am sure there maybe others who may find this interesting. I have not vaped on many RDAs or RTAs as many of the members here and vapers around the world- so take whatever i say with a grain of salt. And of course there maybe a hundred other people who have already found and expressed this better... But , screw it- enough rambling.

So to start off, the biggest thing i look for in vaping is the flavor. And the clouds would be almost as important because, as per my (very narrow) experience more denser bigger clouds actually improve the flavor. However as anything in life there are many variables to this. This is going to take a while to explain so grab a beer and bare with me. This is one of the only forums i am not worried about sharing my opinions, because i know I won't be judged here.

I am not a MTL guy. The kind folk that welcomed me to this forum know why i started vaping and a direct lung is just how I enjoy my hits. After the TFV4, the TFV8 has become my favourite tank (with the RBA given a couple of Claptons of course)

However, having said that i was intrigued by an authentic Kayfun 5 one of my mates had gotten. He just kept gushing about it so much that I had to try it and i have to admit that the most flavors on it are great. And that was the problem. Most, not all, tasted great and i tried it everyday when my mate brought it with him to work and for the weekend he gave i to me. I could not pin point why some flavors did not taste as good as the others... Until i saw Wayne's (DIYorDie) video.

It was like a light bulb went off in my mind
5:25 he explains how a tighter draw amplifies flavor. One of our most senior members in this forum explains it well.
I think it has a lot more to do with the atty, because in order to get best flavor, you need less airflow -- which yes, will also mean lower wattage, and maybe higher resistance in the build, but it's the tighter airflow that will create best flavor; it's not so diluted with hot air, but more concentrated vaporized ejuice. You need the airflow to flow DIRECTLY over the coil and wick, so from below is the optimal configuration; I've never been able to get decent flavor from side airflow.

Andria

And then Wayne goes on to talk about the flavor stage and how it works.
At 6:10 (paraphrased) he says that juices that have bold or more singular flavors really shine in the kayfun 5, where as flavors with a wider range which accomplishes its taste with a combination of a multitude of flavors don't do as well. (Kinda like a sound stage of head phones. Headphones with smaller sound stages allow you to pick out individual instruments clearly and the clarity is exceptional where as headphones with a larger sound stage give a sound more rounded and wholesome as a collection of instruments)
For the latter, a tank like the TFV8, Griffin, crown would be ideal to experience its full flavor potential.

That's when I got it. It really hit me like a brick; coupled with something Matt (from suckmymod) explained in one of his videos how much of an effect a smaller chamber has on improving flavor from a tank.

A tighter draw, less airflow, and a smaller chamber is what really makes the Kayfun 5 shine in most flavors.

With me so far? Fantastic.

So here are my conclusions in point form so as not to bore you anymore. Again take it with a grain of salt- this is my opinion.

Best type of atty for bold more singular type juices- Restricted Attys (like the Kayfun)

Best type of atty for juices which accomplish its unique Flavor with a mixture of flavors- attys with more air flow (the TFV8/4 tank closed 1/3 of the way or a crown 2 fully open for example )

Best type of tank that balances both imo - the Wotofo Conquerer (the smaller chamber and more airflow means it kind of does both type of flavors in an acceptable fashion , although it will never trump either when compared to attys made to cater to each flavor profile.) Things like the serpent and serpent mini come somewhere in the middle as well but more towards the bold flavor side i think

Of course finding a sweet spot for you is where personal experience comes in. So many variables like
1. taste
2. Type of draw
Etc play a huge role. What works for one won't work for another.

Of course there are a ton of other things that matter like the build, wicking etc but covering all of that is just impossible.

Anyway that's about it. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and i hope someone found this helpful.
The reason i have not spoken much on RDAs here is because there are a more things that affect flavor in RDAs than just deck size, air flow etc and i have still not been able to have full understanding about them to put my experiences in to words. Will do one in future if i have a sudden insight.

Will update this post if i find anything else interesting on the same topic.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regardless of mod or atty. The difference between flavor builds and cloud builds. Is the resulting ratio of air to juice vapor. Along with the temperature if that vapor. These same ratios have varying affect on the flavor profile of juice flavorings. So if you have a j u c made of many flavors. It is possible the to adjust the build air and power.. to bring individual flavoring to the fore or mute them. Turn a tart cherry to a sweeter one by adjusting the air to juice ratio.

Then it all goes out the window when personal preference defines good flavor. Some like Bolder more intense flavor. Some prefer a more subtle yet just as intense a flavor. Some base flavor on quantity other quality. Not the either would preclude quantity or quality of flavor. Flavor vs cloudNJs is all about the balance of air to juice to power to cgamber volume to surface area and a few other factor all tinge by our individual preferences.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that's why kayfun or tfv8, there's no real perfect tank/setup for flavor since it's based off something subjective. "Best" is what's best to the person experiencing it. Many of the best chef's in the world all conclude that steaks should be served just the other side of moo-ing, what's best is what tastes best to me if I'm the one eating the steak. I say it's my steak, my tastebuds and my money, put a little more fire under it :p

Having a wide variety of options means there will likely be something best suited to any individual preference even among flavor chasers. Concentration of flavor can help make it more intense but does it make it better? Over seasoning food definitely makes the flavor stronger but to its benefit or detriment? It may depend on the seasoning (or in this case juice) and back to the individual's preferred subjective taste.

PrinceWizdom

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Regardless of mod or atty. The difference between flavor builds and cloud builds. Is the resulting ratio of air to juice vapor. Along with the temperature if that vapor. These same ratios have varying affect on the flavor profile of juice flavorings. So if you have a j u c made of many flavors. It is possible the to adjust the build air and power.. to bring individual flavoring to the fore or mute them. Turn a tart cherry to a sweeter one by adjusting the air to juice ratio.

Then it all goes out the window when personal preference defines good flavor. Some like Bolder more intense flavor. Some prefer a more subtle yet just as intense a flavor. Some base flavor on quantity other quality. Not the either would preclude quantity or quality of flavor. Flavor vs cloudNJs is all about the balance of air to juice to power to cgamber volume to surface area and a few other factor all tinge by our individual preferences.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yup. That's why finding your preferred juice is hard and is a long process of trial and error. Its no surprise taht there are entire communities dedicated to DIYing.

I think that's why kayfun or tfv8, there's no real perfect tank/setup for flavor since it's based off something subjective. "Best" is what's best to the person experiencing it. Many of the best chef's in the world all conclude that steaks should be served just the other side of moo-ing, what's best is what tastes best to me if I'm the one eating the steak. I say it's my steak, my tastebuds and my money, put a little more fire under it :p

Having a wide variety of options means there will likely be something best suited to any individual preference even among flavor chasers. Concentration of flavor can help make it more intense but does it make it better? Over seasoning food definitely makes the flavor stronger but to its benefit or detriment? It may depend on the seasoning (or in this case juice) and back to the individual's preferred subjective taste.

Exactly. Another problem is, with more intense flavor, every shortcoming of a particular juice is highlighted. You might have been vapimg a juice for months and suddenly realised that slight tart undertone in a juice is actually not too great with its flavor intensified.

VU Sponsors