Become a Patron!

Unleashing the Flavor: DIY Flavor Undertones (Intermidate mixing)

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was on the e-liquid calculator forums last night, and one of the moderators gave me a interesting tip.

Cactus (INW) at 0.5% will bring out the juiciness in a fruit vape. Never would have guessed, it worked well for my fruit mixes.

It made me think that maybe we could all contribute to a thread for DIY flavor undertones. Most intermediate mixers know that FA Marshmallow can be used a sweetner, or TPA Koolada is used to make a give cold menthol sensation. What I'm really interested, and a lot of you guys and girls probably know well, is how flavor undertones interact and which can be used to create a fuller, rich flavor.

Here's an example, if we're trying to mix a strawberry kiwi juice. Most people would add FW Strawberry kiwi and call it a day. But If your really trying to get a "premium" (whatever that means these days) flavor, you need some undertones to make it pop.

I've found that adding a little TPA dragonfruit to my FA Kiwi and Cap Sweet Strawberry mix is a total gamechanger. Dragonfruit will enhance the crap out of the strawberry.

CAP Cucumber (at low percentages ~1%), like Cactus will also bring out a fresh taste to fruity mixes, without you actually tasting the Cucumber.

You guys have any undertones you think work well?

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What will go good with keylime? I made pie but had someone vape it and said it reminded him of Mary Jane flavor. I need to make it pop.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What key lime did you use? You could add FA Lime Cold Press @ 0.5-1%, FA Custard at the same, Lemon Sicily at 3%

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used TFA. FA custard is the one probably most useful ingredient that I don't have

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is there an online tool that mixologists use to blend flavors?

I use flavorpairing.com to discover complimentary flavors, but I haven't really found a tool that's like _____ will enhance _____. That would be super useful.. All this info is crazy scattered.

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What will go good with keylime? I made pie but had someone vape it and said it reminded him of Mary Jane flavor. I need to make it pop.

Doesn't sound like a popping issue. I think you used too much TFA percentage or it's just a bum flavor.

Idk if you want to be using lemon juice, that's pretty advanced..

Try Huckleberried's recipe, FA Lime Cold Press is pretty good. Maybe add some FA Fresh Cream for a fresher pie taste? Maybe some whipped cream, graham cracker, vanilla ice bean gelato if you really want to get into it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know of any mixologists thingies or anything else. I noticed the coconut thing in a recipe I made a while back. It started out nice and creamy coconut, then became buttery tasting. People just discover things when they mix and share the info.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't sound like a popping issue. I think you used too much TFA percentage or it's just a bum flavor.

Idk if you want to be using lemon juice, that's pretty advanced..

Try Huckleberried's recipe, FA Lime Cold Press is pretty good. Maybe add some FA Fresh Cream for a fresher pie taste? Maybe some whipped cream, graham cracker, vanilla ice bean gelato if you really want to get into it.
I used it at 10%. And vanilla ice cream also at 10. I don't think that's to high for TFA. I've been mixing for a while.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh wow. We're all different with how we taste, but 1% on the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream or the Vanilla Swirl and I'm good.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That low with TFA I wouldn't be able to taste a thing. I'll have to try it out... Will save me a lotta money that way. Thanks Huckleberried

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That low with TFA I wouldn't be able to taste a thing. I'll have to try it out... Will save me a lotta money that way. Thanks Huckleberried
It's just me and a couple other people. I recently used it at 3% and couldn't taste anything else in the mix. Don't take it too low if you like it the way you like it :)

VU Sponsors