Become a Patron!

Unregulated mods? Help please

Hey everyone. My friend just built me a beautiful .06 ohm coil In my new twisted messes 2 rda. To my surprise it would not fire on my smok gx350 until I realized that no regulated mod would fire that low in wattage mode. Can you guys please explain what kind of unregulated mech mod I would need to fire at .06 ohms safely. I use sony vtc5 30a batteries.

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At 4.2 volts that's 70 amps. There isn't an 18650 mod that would fire that safety. It would take 7 20A 18650's in parallel to handle that.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't know about unregulated but my SXmini G class will fire
.05 ohm in power mode easily.
It says it supports 0.0001 ohm coil resistance.
I'm pretty sure my Hohm Wrecker G2 will also.

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't know about unregulated but my SXmini G class will fire
.05 ohm in power mode easily.
It says it supports 0.0001 ohm coil resistance.
I'm pretty sure my Hohm Wrecker G2 will also.
Just because something says it can do it doesn't always make it a good idea to do it. Especially when you are a beginner.

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just because something says it can do it doesn't always make it a good idea to do it. Especially when you are a beginner.

A regulated is always safer than an unregulated mech

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone. My friend just built me a beautiful .06 ohm coil In my new twisted messes 2 rda. To my surprise it would not fire on my smok gx350 until I realized that no regulated mod would fire that low in wattage mode. Can you guys please explain what kind of unregulated mech mod I would need to fire at .06 ohms safely. I use sony vtc5 30a batteries.
First I'd ask your friend WTF?

There are some regulated Mod's out there that will fire that low in power mode. If you have no experience with Mech's putting that on one you are a candidate for the Darwin Award. Let me put it this way, 0.00 is a dead short and you're right up getting close and personal with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First I'd ask your friend WTF?

There are some regulated Mod's out there that will fire that low in power mode. If you have no experience with Mech's putting that on one you are a candidate for the Darwin Award. Let me put it this way, 0.00 is a dead short and you're right up getting close and personal with it.

Exactly! If you have ever used a digital mutilmeter, touch both leads together and you'll see a reading of about 0.01. So think of it this way basically you are taking a battery and connecting a wire directly from positive to ground just a few inches from your face.

The sxmini g class can only fire that low in tc and I'm running kanthal so that's a no go. The ohmwrecker g2 can hit it at .06 but... It only goes up to 170w. Nowhere near what I was hoping for (more like 280+). Does anyone know of a regulated mod that can fire at. 06 in wattage mode and handle up to 300w? Thanks

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The sxmini g class can only fire that low in tc and I'm running kanthal so that's a no go. The ohmwrecker g2 can hit it at .06 but... It only goes up to 170w. Nowhere near what I was hoping for (more like 280+). Does anyone know of a regulated mod that can fire at. 06 in wattage mode and handle up to 300w? Thanks
Most regulated Mods will not fire it for good reason. A coil like that is for a very advanced user. But you don't seem to care about your safety. You are going to need a custom lipo mod to handle something like that. I highly advise you to ask your friend to build you a coil with something in the range of .25.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

First of all, any mechanical mod will fire at whatever resistance you use. The trick is to keep it from blowing up.
So the first question you ask yourself is.. is 10 cents worth of wire to build a new coil worth the additional risk involved?

So the good news is, you have the right batteries. VTC5a would be even better.
Bad news is.. "safely" completely depends on YOU. What YOU know about your battery, tank, mod. How many amps is that coil going to pull.. how long are you going to be firing it? How long has the battery been stress tested for? How long between pulls?

Remember... the lower your resistance, the faster your battery heats up and the less time you have to react if something goes wrong, such as a stuck fire button.

On a single cell mod, that coil is going to pull 70 amps and nearly 300 watts. The max I have gone is a 56A draw at 240 watts, on a dual cloud coil build.
To be honest, you are going to find that drawing 70 amps is going to heat even your VTC5 pretty fast. It has been tested at 6x 5 second pulses with 30 seconds rest between fires and stayed below the 100C limit that Mooch uses as his safety net.

So back to my original question.. is 10 cents worth of wire worth the additional risk.
With mechanical mods, it is very literally all on you to know what is safe for your level of expertise. Given that your friend built the coil and you did not buit it yourself, in my opinion, no, a 0.06 ohm build would not be close enough to any acceptable risk level to use. But like I said, it is all on you to decide.

*side note.. I only use 0.07 ohm when building a competition level build, they don't really give a decent vape, just a shit load of cloud and no nicotine (0mg pure VG for those builds) UNFLAVORED!

Thank you for the response. I plan to use a triple parallel mod so the amps will be spread more reasonably. I also plan to get new batteries for the build as well as keeping them freshly charged.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thank you for the response. I plan to use a triple parallel mod so the amps will be spread more reasonably. I also plan to get new batteries for the build as well as keeping them freshly charged.
should be ok as long as you know what you are doing. My answer was on a single cell mod. Which is all i use for mech cloud builds. You will still get a better vape from a regulated mod and higher resistance coil though.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still, if you have no experience with Mech's putting a super sub-ohm build on a Mech you're a candidate for the Darwin Award.

Again, 0.00 is a dead short, take a minute and let that sink in.

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still, if you have no experience with Mech's putting a super sub-ohm build on a Mech you're a candidate for the Darwin Award.

1000% agree with this. Electricity must be respected in order to stay safe. With zero knowledge of ohms laws you have no business using that coil.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The ohmwrecker g2 can hit it at .06 but... It only goes up to 170w. Nowhere near what I was hoping for (more like 280+)
Three-stooges-facepalm.gif

Freejep

Member For 4 Years
Firstly cheers for the headsup on the gx350 not firing below 0.1..
I was gonna buy the smok today so i could vape at a constant 304w until I saw your post..

For the last 13 months(without a coil change) I've been vaping at 0.05 on an incubus mech with a simple 6 coil build "remote wicked" on a "so horney"..
(Gives 304w on fresh 25rs and 231w 8 hours later when I swap them out)
20160420_221630.jpg

20160420_230930-1.jpg

20160531_181332.jpg

13 months later...after my monthly dry burn n rewick(cotton never touches the coils to avoid dry burns at higher wattages)...
20170406_230023.jpg

#500 ss mesh to draw the liquid from the cotton(the remote wicking part prior to a cleaning of the deck)....
20160901_185649.jpg

But my advice to you is learn to make your own simple coils..starting at 0.4 then work your way down until you find your sweet spot...
The lower the ohm the shorter the draw you will need...
An 8 second draw on a 0.05 build is a big no no...(you will only need a 2 second draw to fill your lungs if you build it correctly)
And most importantly learn maintainance...(strip,clean n rebuild) of your mech..
Good luck and be safe

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have found, those ohm meters are accurate to about +0.04 ohm. So a 0.05 ohm reading is actually closer to 0.09. This is according to putting the coil on my regulated mod which read 0.09 ohm.
Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Freejep

Member For 4 Years
I have found, those ohm meters are accurate to about +0.04 ohm. So a 0.05 ohm reading is actually closer to 0.09. This is according to putting the coil on my regulated mod which read 0.09 ohm.

I like your mind...question something without being disrespectful..

I was aiming for 0.06... 6 coils each 0.36
Single coil showed 0.36
Add another coil it was 0.18
Add 2 more it read 0.09..so far so good
Added the last 2 and it read 0.06
After squeezing and dry firing it went to 0.05
My separate multimeter also read 0.05

I test all my builds 3 different ways before firing...mathematics first,cheap but convenient ohm tester second,multimeter third...
If I get within 0.01 between all three then I'm good to vape
My little ohm tester concurs with the other 2 test figures(so I know mine is accurate in this case)

What regulated mod did you use to test your ohms on? I put my rda on the missus smok alien and it simply said "short"

I actually don't believe I'm vaping at 300w(ohms law doesn't apply to coils and filaments as resistance is not a constant when heat is applied..but its a safe starting point for calculations )...that's why I wanted the gx350 to confirm the flavour at 300w...I'll be able to tell from the taste
Happy vaping

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I like your mind...question something without being disrespectful..

I was aiming for 0.06... 6 coils each 0.36
Single coil showed 0.36
Add another coil it was 0.18
Add 2 more it read 0.09..so far so good
Added the last 2 and it read 0.06
After squeezing and dry firing it went to 0.05
My separate multimeter also read 0.05

I test all my builds 3 different ways before firing...mathematics first,cheap but convenient ohm tester second,multimeter third...
If I get within 0.01 between all three then I'm good to vape
My little ohm tester concurs with the other 2 test figures(so I know mine is accurate in this case)

What regulated mod did you use to test your ohms on? I put my rda on the missus smok alien and it simply said "short"

I actually don't believe I'm vaping at 300w(ohms law doesn't apply to coils and filaments as resistance is not a constant when heat is applied..but its a safe starting point for calculations )...that's why I wanted the gx350 to confirm the flavour at 300w...I'll be able to tell from the taste
Happy vaping

Im using an Ijoy Asolo, 200w. "short" is rather an odd reading. Usually it would be "Ohm to low", because a short is a totally different problem.
My mod will actually read lower, but I have to be really quick to read it. LOL.. it flashes the ohms for a fraction of a second before reading ohms to low.

Freejep

Member For 4 Years
Im using an Ijoy Asolo, 200w. "short" is rather an odd reading. Usually it would be "Ohm to low", because a short is a totally different problem.
My mod will actually read lower, but I have to be really quick to read it. LOL.. it flashes the ohms for a fraction of a second before reading ohms to low.

Just took it off the incubus and tried again on the smok....it first says "short atomizer"..fired a second time and it says "don't abuse protects!" oops lol

Tried an earlier(18 months old 0.1 build) in the smok and it does say "ohms too low" every time i try to fire it..but it also gives me a reading of 0.096 ohms onscreen before I put the stock 0.4 coil back in..
The upside is my triple way of calculating a coil setup resistance seems to work..
The downside is I still want a constant vape on my 13 month old coils(I don't want to change them until they fail)...it's the experimental builder in me lol

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Just took it off the incubus and tried again on the smok....it first says "short atomizer"..fired a second time and it says "don't abuse protects!" oops lol

Tried an earlier(18 months old 0.1 build) in the smok and it does say "ohms too low" every time i try to fire it..but it also gives me a reading of 0.096 ohms onscreen before I put the stock 0.4 coil back in..
The upside is my triple way of calculating a coil setup resistance seems to work..
The downside is I still want a constant vape on my 13 month old coils(I don't want to change them until they fail)...it's the experimental builder in me lol
LOL a mod that chastises you.. what next? A hand that pops out and pimp slaps you if you fire a 3rd time? lol

I said.. DON'T ABUSE PROTECTS!...
(hope the gif works.. lol)
https://media3.giphy.com/media/4maPzsZTtsMsE/giphy.gif (animation didnt work in forum...)

Attachments

• giphy[1].gif
    giphy[1].gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends greatly on the accuracy of the Ohm Meter. That is one of the reasons super sub ohm especially when you screw around with crazy builds around 0.05. 0.00 is a dead short.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Depends greatly on the accuracy of the Ohm Meter. That is one of the reasons super sub ohm especially when you screw around with crazy builds around 0.05. 0.00 is a dead short.

I believe 0.04 is about average, with usa ohm meters being the best at +/- 0.018, but like you said, that is a LOT when you build super low competition builds.
A little note here.. NEVER build that low on a cheap ass battery! That is an advanced build. As such, you need to know your battery and be able to depend on them and know the battery specs are not exaggerated by some dishonest vendor.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First of all, any mechanical mod will fire at whatever resistance you use. The trick is to keep it from blowing up.

Bad news is.. "safely" completely depends on YOU.

But my advice to you is learn to make your own simple coils..starting at 0.4 then work your way down until you find your sweet spot...
The lower the ohm the shorter the draw you will need...
An 8 second draw on a 0.05 build is a big no no...(you will only need a 2 second draw to fill your lungs if you build it correctly)
And most importantly learn maintainance...(strip,clean n rebuild) of your mech..
Good luck and be safe

All of the above quoted to restate truth. I'll add to @Freejep's advice a wee bit. If you're only starting out, stick in the mid ohm range with your builds until you gain competency in building. You'll know that time for yourself. Then, go on and delve into the super low ohm range if you feel you still need to do that . Better to have a foundation of good basics than not.

Also understand that mech users do mean the euphemisms so flippantly tossed around regarding mech use, such as "kissing dynamite", "sucking on a pipe bomb", "facing the squad". We use such language to encourage anyone new to understand there are indeed risks involved, none of us desire seeing anyone hurt doing something we all enjoy and want others to enjoy. We are not exactly trying to scare folks away, granted if these terms do scare you away, well, you probaly do need to steer clear of mech use.

It boils down to being careful, learning that no one knows everything and that's alright, and oh, being careful in case I forgot mentioning it. :) Yet, even if we are careful, yes poop happens. Understand the risks and act accordingly.

It has been tested at 6x 5 second pulses with 30 seconds rest between fires and stayed below the 100C limit that Mooch uses as his safety net.

Good to know about this.

I use roughly a 0.50 to 0.80 range in builds for a single cell 18650 of 20 amp, usually take about 4-6 second draws and let it rest ten to twenty seconds between - set the mod aside a bit, return later to vape more, repeat. I also swap out between two different mechs at random. yes, I know not too random but you understand what I'm meaning. :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Good to know about this.
It is all in Moochs Blog, including tables and charts for other batteries he tests. If you (john q mechuser) have not studied his charts and tests, then you haven't done enough research to build super sub ohm. He tests up to 70A on a single cell, and if that is as far as Mooch goes, I sure as hell am not going higher. (I stay below 60, because I'm no Mooch)

VU Sponsors