Become a Patron!

UPDATE Lungs Hurting - Looking for suggestions

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi All,

I have been vaping for quite some time and have noticed that "more" for me is not necessarily a good thing. For the most part, I have been using a Kayfun Lite at 1.4 - 1.6 ohms, around 7 watts, 6mg nic. Nice vape for me with good flavor.

However, my lungs have started to hurt and have been tight, as well. This happens with a variety of eliquids all at 50/50 pg/vg.

So, in an effort to "tone it down" I went to a 2.0 ohm build and kept it around 7.5 watts. I have also dropped my nic to 3mg. So far so good - less harsh, etc.

That said, are there any other recommendations for builds, etc? I don't believe I am allergic to anything, but I do believe I have a lower tolerance for heat and a lot of vapor.

Thanks in advance for your help!

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well it sounds like you found you solution lower nic is one way to help, lower wattage builds ,higher resistance different gauge wire, different diameter coil, different coil type all can adjust your issues even air flow control to an extent since your running in a kayfun i would also suggest trying different style kayfun builds

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hi All,

I have been vaping for quite some time and have noticed that "more" for me is not necessarily a good thing. For the most part, I have been using a Kayfun Lite at 1.4 - 1.6 ohms, around 7 watts, 6mg nic. Nice vape for me with good flavor.

However, my lungs have started to hurt and have been tight, as well. This happens with a variety of eliquids all at 50/50 pg/vg.

So, in an effort to "tone it down" I went to a 2.0 ohm build and kept it around 7.5 watts. I have also dropped my nic to 3mg. So far so good - less harsh, etc.

That said, are there any other recommendations for builds, etc? I don't believe I am allergic to anything, but I do believe I have a lower tolerance for heat and a lot of vapor.

Thanks in advance for your help!
You have to experiment with different things to find the cause, for me it was the VG. My lungs feel the best using 70 PG / 30 VG but that was my issue yours may be different.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For me it was flavorings like the lime in fruity pebbles made my chest tight I can vape non flavored VG all I want and get no symptoms I'd try unflavored liquid see if it's the flavors

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would also add to not rule out other health issues that may or may not be related to vaping. If you have something like a bronchile infection (bronchitis) brewing then yes,your lungs will hurt. With the weather changing its entirely possible.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would also add to not rule out other health issues that may or may not be related to vaping. If you have something like a bronchile infection (bronchitis) brewing then yes,your lungs will hurt. With the weather changing its entirely possible.

Yes, I thought about that, but when I stop vaping all seems to clear up. I am not ready to give up vaping, but at this rate, I could find myself back at Kanger single coils! (Oh boy...I hope not)

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It could be a lot of things as has been mentioned.
I wouldn't rule anything out until I tried without it to see if it helps.
Might be easy to determine.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could be a lot of things as has been mentioned.
I wouldn't rule anything out until I tried without it to see if it helps.
Might be easy to determine.

Agreed. For today, I am going to try the higher Ohm atty and see if that continues to improve the situation. There are truly a lot of variables that could be in play - just hoping to find the culprit sooner rather than later. Thanks for all the input!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For many months I could only vape either high pg in an rda or 50/50 in a clearo with very little power. Suddenly in the past few days I've been able to vape high VG - makes no sense, but I suspect there are many phases of lung renewal after years of heavy smoking!

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I thought about that, but when I stop vaping all seems to clear up. I am not ready to give up vaping, but at this rate, I could find myself back at Kanger single coils! (Oh boy...I hope not)
Well of course it would clear up when you stop vaping,wouldnt it. If you have some underlying issue going on already vaping will just add insult to injury.
If you ask the american lung association they'll tell you that the only safe thing to have in your lungs is fresh clean air(even thats getting kinda dicey these days)
Smoking and vaping are thing to avoid for people with respiratory issuse,no matter how mild.
You could try the other suggestions; max vg,max pg(your throat will hate you for the max pg but you might forget all about discomfort in your chest) and the unflavored liquid to see if it continues. Or like you mentioned yourself,go back to what you were using before it started being uncomfortable.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well of course it would clear up when you stop vaping,wouldnt it. If you have some underlying issue going on already vaping will just add insult to injury.
If you ask the american lung association they'll tell you that the only safe thing to have in your lungs is fresh clean air(even thats getting kinda dicey these days)
Smoking and vaping are thing to avoid for people with respiratory issuse,no matter how mild.
You could try the other suggestions; max vg,max pg(your throat will hate you for the max pg but you might forget all about discomfort in your chest) and the unflavored liquid to see if it continues. Or like you mentioned yourself,go back to what you were using before it started being uncomfortable.

I did go back in time...sort of. Still rebuilding, but have gone back to silica and/or Ekowool. Much, much better. Silica does not thrill me, but it does seem to help eliminate the irritation. Maybe I have found the issue. :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IIRC the Kayfun lite has adjustable airflow, right? In which case, restrict the air flow to tone down the flavor/hit.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IIRC the Kayfun lite has adjustable airflow, right? In which case, restrict the air flow to tone down the flavor/hit.

I always have my airflow turned way down and agree, it does really help. Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Are you lung hitting the kayfun or mouth to lung hitting it?
I notice from being on a RDA with big ole holes when I hit on my kayfun I forget to mouth to lung it and it hurts.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! Mouth to lung for me. Another day in and I am feeling much better with the Ekowool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So...my Ekowool experiment only helped for a short time and now, I am having the same issues. Frustrating.

My next step is to vape only unflavored pg/vg/nic - a process of elimination if you will to see if its flavor related. Additionally, I will up my water intake.

If this does not work, what should my next step be? I am thinking to try VG only?

Thanks, again to all!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or go to a regular tank rather than the Kayfun (RBA), much milder vape and hope that curbs the urge to smoke?.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or go to a regular tank rather than the Kayfun (RBA), much milder vape and hope that curbs the urge to smoke?.

Yes, that is a good point. I will definitely give that a try. It is quite possible that Kayfuns and RDAs are just too much for me. I have been using them (Kayfuns) for a good 6 months without too much trouble. Yet, the problem could simply be cumulative. I never did have this problem with Evods, or Protanks. Thanks for the help!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
So...my Ekowool experiment only helped for a short time and now, I am having the same issues. Frustrating.

My next step is to vape only unflavored pg/vg/nic - a process of elimination if you will to see if its flavor related. Additionally, I will up my water intake.

If this does not work, what should my next step be? I am thinking to try VG only?

I really, really encourage you to do that. Give it a couple days with the unflavored. If there are ingredients in flavoring that irritate you, you might be able to get away with it on certain coils, or below some specific wattage, or whatever. But using unflavored with absolutely narrow this down most quickly. For me, if I vape flavorings with diacetyl/subs (like many caramel or custard flavors), my lungs hurt the next day. Some people can't use cinnamon flavors for the same reason.

If unflavored still bothers you, you're down to PG, VG, or the specific nic base you have. You could pick which you choose to temporarily eliminate while you track down the issue.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing with silica wicks: I find that about half of the silica ropes I buy seem to be contaminated with something or other that makes the vape ultra-harsh. As a result, I've taken to torching the wick before coiling it.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really, really encourage you to do that. Give it a couple days with the unflavored. If there are ingredients in flavoring that irritate you, you might be able to get away with it on certain coils, or below some specific wattage, or whatever. But using unflavored with absolutely narrow this down most quickly. For me, if I vape flavorings with diacetyl/subs (like many caramel or custard flavors), my lungs hurt the next day. Some people can't use cinnamon flavors for the same reason.

If unflavored still bothers you, you're down to PG, VG, or the specific nic base you have. You could pick which you choose to temporarily eliminate while you track down the issue.

You know...you bring up an interesting point about wattage. I have mostly been a Provari user and I have always kept my devices somewhere between 3.0 and 3.7. But, I have recently added DNA 20/30 devices and have been using them exclusively. I wonder if it could simply be a power issue and with the DNA devices, I cannot turn it down low enough to get me into a comfortable range using Kayfuns?

One more thing to consider :)

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, in addition to the suggestions above, I have one additional possibility for the irritation I am getting.

It turns out that I diluted several of my usual eliquids (which I have been vaping for a long time with no issue) with a PG/VG mix that was from a supplier that I don't normally use. I have identified all of those bottles and set them aside.

As I move through my process of elimination, I am going to return my normal vaping setups/patterns, not using these diluted liquids, and if the issues subside, it is likely something in the PG/VG mix from this one particular supplier that is causing the issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed and once again, thanks to all for the support and great suggestions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sounds like you've developed a PG or VG sensitivity. I've has issues with both at different times. PG started to hurt my throat, and VG made me weeze.

Now I have a problem with neither lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you've developed a PG or VG sensitivity. I've has issues with both at different times. PG started to hurt my throat, and VG made me weeze.

Now I have a problem with neither lol

I've had exactly the same experiences - weird how these things can come and go!

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Figured it out!!!

It was a sensitivity to an 'off brand' of PG/VG mix I was using. Dumped it all and the DIY I had made. Back to using my old supplier and e-liquids I have been using for some time. Ahhh....relief!

VU Sponsors