Become a Patron!

Upgraded my mod. Coils now BURN all the time even at lower wattages.

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys. I recently replaced my Cuboid because the 510 connector was constantly creating the Atomizer short issue. I have a Smok TFV4 tank that I run with their clapton coils. I used to run the Clapton coils at 80 Watts with no problems and great vapor and flavor.

I now have a Limitless LMC Box Mod. See here for details on the Mod:
http://www.vapor-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/BoxmodPage2.jpg

I now find I can run my TFV4 @ 40 Watts and get comparable vapor/flavor as 80W on my Cuboid. I don't know why this is? I would assume all watts are made equal but it doesn't seem this way.

In any case, I am constantly getting a burning flavor with my Clapton Coils and TFV4 running my wattage at HALF of what I was running my Cuboid.

I am having to replace my Clapton coils all the time now to prevent this burning taste.

What am I doing wrong? Why is my new mod burning my coils more than the Cuboid? Am I using the wrong Coils? Are the setting on my LMC Box Mod set correctly?

Please help!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Different tanks and coils and mods, results from watt settings will vary.

Start at a lower wattage like 20 and work up as you break in the coil.
Recomended seems to be 30+ but I'm not sure exactly which clapton coil you're running

Maybe coil was not primed well or at all.

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've burnt multiple coils with this new mod. This didn't happen with the Cuboid. I have been priming them the same way. Juice on the cotton then letting it sit. So I doubt it's a priming problem.

I started at 80 Ws because I assumed that 80W on a Cuboid is the same as 80W on an LMC mod but it created burning. So on my next coils I tested I have it all the way down to 30 Ws and it still burns. I am using the standard Clapton TFV4 Coils.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know what mod you were using but 80w on a single cell mod is not the same as 80w on a multi cell mod.

It's a totally different setup so don't get stuck on the settings you used on your old setup.

Start at 20w with a very well primed coil. Cuboid doesn't really need to be primed since just assembling it forces juice up in the coil.
Other coil styles do need to be well primed... like sitting soaked for ~20 min

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh... I was thinking cubis tank... sorry.

So same tank and coils only a different mod.

It shouldn't be THAT far off with the same tank and coils.

Still... start at 20w with a new well primed coil.
Burning taste is too many watts 99% of the time.

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right. Same Tank and Coil. Cuboid switched to Limitless LMC Box Mod.

Just put a new TFV4 Clapton Coil in (again) and I will vape @ 30 W (the minimum for a TFV4 Clapton Coil) and see how it goes today again but I've already done this.... I also was able to use this same Coil @ 80W on my Cuboid Mod without issues.

So really, no idea what is causing this burning still. Doesn't make any sense to me.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you've already done that and it didn't work, why are you doing it again?

Start at 20w. Won't hurt anything to start lower right?

Tuluum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely try starting at lower watts.

Before I moved to rebuilding, I was rarely in the "recommended" range.

There could be some other issues, but that'll be a good start.

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The rated wattage on Clapton is 30W-90W which is why I am trying it out @ 30W.

But in any case, I'm now trying 20W and it barely gives me any vapor or flavor.

Still doesn't solve my problem of Cuboid being able to run this same Coil/Tank Combo @ 80W withouth burning vs. this new Mod. Don't understand what is going on. 80W on one mod should be the same as 80W on another mod should it not???

Tuluum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The rated wattage on Clapton is 30W-90W which is why I am trying it out @ 30W.

But in any case, I'm now trying 20W and it barely gives me any vapor or flavor.

Still doesn't solve my problem of Cuboid being able to run this same Coil/Tank Combo @ 80W withouth burning vs. this new Mod. Don't understand what is going on. 80W on one mod should be the same as 80W on another mod should it not???

Slowly move up the wattage. 20w will just be a starting point.

80w wont necessarily produce the same end result from mod to mod.

It could be anything from juice feed issues, to defective coils, to mod settings (especially easy on a new mod), to a defective mod.

Do you have any other atomizers to run some checks?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After priming a coil really well, I'll start at the lowest rating on the coil and work my way up to my desired wattage over the course of a half hour or so. The best solution I've found to the issues with pre-made, disposable coils is to not use them. Unless it's a Herakles plus, which has great coils, I only use RDA's. I picked up my first RTA, a serpent mini (well second RTA, I don't ever use the first one I bought) and it's working out great. I'm going to get something like the griffin and if that works out, I'll never buy another pack of coils again. If you have never used a rebuildable atomizer, you really should consider it.

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went out and got a pack of TFV4 Quad Coils because they allow a higher wattage. Will test it out and see how the flavor and vapes are.

Still using my Clapton Coil at this point. Upped the wattage a bit and will monitor if any burning continues to happen.

Regarding RBA's, the reason I don't do them is convenience and I want a tank so that I can carry juice around when I'm out.

VU Sponsors