Become a Patron!

Upgrading from Kanger Subtank? Suggestions?

Hi all, I currently have the Kangertech Subtank Mini (http://www.kangeronline.com/products/kanger-subtank-mini-clearomizer) on the K-Box and would like to upgrade.

I would like an RBA/RDA/whatever that produces better flavor and that can hold more juice than the tiny little RBA that comes with the Subtank. The thing is also just an absolute PITA to rebuild or even drip fresh juice when not using the tank. The polished pieces don't help as more often than not the wrong threading gets loosened.

With my current setup I can't take longer than 1-3 second draws without it drying out inside the middle of the coil, despite plenty of juice on the wick (Different wicking methods and coils have not helped this at all). I also can't seem to push it past ~20W without getting a dry burnt taste.

What are a couple of atty's I should take a look at? Would it be better to ditch the KBOX altogether? It goes up to 40W on a single 3.7v 2500mAh 18650 battery.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Interesting.

IMHO, you are the proud owner of a subtank mini with some serious issues.

While Kanger produces some amazing products, some that come off of the production line are "Duds".

I had one of those myself and the place that I purchased it from made it right.

Anyway, after the issue was resolved, the thing worked great. However they go through liquid very fast and you are always having to top off the Mini. So I purchased the full sized Subtank Plus which holds more liquid (7ml) and will last longer between fills.

Granted that the RBA heads are tiny but I find them workable even with my poor eyesight and fat fingers. Just takes a bit of practice.

All of the above being said, I most sincerely hope you find the RTA of your dreams!

IMHO, you are the proud owner of a subtank mini with some serious issues

What makes you say that? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just new to this and not sure what *could* be wrong with it.

The leaky tank is a big issue for me; if I leave juice in the tank over night it will be empty by morning. I like the tank because it holds lots of juice, but I don't like the tank because it holds lots of juice. Nice to not have to drip it every few draws but at the same time it makes it difficult if I want to change flavors.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
They do have some QC issues.

Same can be said about just about any Chinese company.

Perfect example, I purchased a ST mini. Worked great until I dropped the sucker and shattered the freaking glass tank.

Ok, thats on me. My bad.

So I say to myself, "Self, bad move but the device comes with a replacement glass" so you are covered.

No I was not. The glass tube fit the inner cage so tightly that it could not be removed.

And just to save the VU peanut gallery time, I know all about the hot/warm/ ancient incantations used to remove the old and slip in the new.

The tank was not having anything to do with it.

So I reached out to the community and found someone with the top part of the tank complete with glass. Just needed new O-Rings installed.

The new part was made to looser tolerances so when I replaced the O-Rings the new glass slid on easy as can be. Sealed up fine and works like a charm.

I think that your problem is that your tank, for whatever reason is not sealing properly. No airtight seal = leaks. I have had this issue with other tanks not just Kanger. You might wish to disassemble it to see if the O-rings are installed correctly. Or install the spares that came with it.

If that does not work, contact the place you purchased it from and try to exchange for a new unit that does not leak.

One more note and keep in mind I am just trying to help you out.

IMHO, the Subtank Mini on paper looks like it holds a lot of E-Liquid. It holds exactly the amount specified.

But the flavor and vapor the ST Mini supplies comes at a cost.

The little bastard goes through liquid very, very fast.

That being said,the Mini hold just about 2 hours of liquid the way I vape before it needs filled.

Which is why I also ordered the Subtank Plus with the 7 ml tank just so I can get perhaps 5 hours of vaping between refills.

I hope this helps you out!

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
I have a Mini v2 and it's stellar. Comes with extra glass and a set of black o-rings

The 0.5 Ohm attys are very good. Not impressed with the 1.6 Ohms in the least

Had for 8 weeks and no leaking issues, although I swapped red->black half way through

RBA takes up a serious amount of room, and I found the wick should not be contact with the channels

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Depends on what you want to spend.. I only buy authentic but I assume all of the ones I will mention can be had in clone form..

1. Taifun GT or GT II -- Hands down the best flavor I have ever gotten from any atomizer... The GT II is easily the best RTA I've ever owned!!!!

2. Kayfun v4 -- 2nd on my choice list. Awesome, awesome flavor..

3. Kayfun Lite -- You can score these at a very nice price these days. Awesome flavor a bit of a pain to refill

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Personally the erlkoengin is my favorite single coil RTA but the wicking tends to be reminiscent of a bonsai tree.
The aqua v2 is a little less complicated with phenominal flavor.
The lemo isn't bad but filling it is a pain in the ass. Then again its a single coil vs the dual of the aqua2.
The lemo2 is easy to fill but really sucks with anything more than a 50/50juice. If you're using 50/50 lemo2 all the way. Anything thicker look into thr lemo1 or aqua for dual coil.

I'm saying these assuming you're running the tank wide open and are accustomed to that airflow, if you like something more restrictive look into the kayfun4 or taifun2

Last edited:

sprad05

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have to agree with a couple of the other people, I just got the subtank myself and it has been AMAZING! The flavor is great and I've run it up to 50W with multiple hits and not had any dry hits. I will say, I sort of wicked it normally and really didn't have any issues until I just tried to make it dry hit to test it. But I have since used the "pankcake" wicking method and haven't been able to make it dry hit yet. So, I would highly recommend the pancake wicking method.

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Friends and coworkers are saying great things about the Magnus Subtank. I think I would need more than 30w to drive it tho

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like you should buy a RDA (dripper) if you want to drip. If you're going to use it on the Subox Mini, you will need a dripper with an adjustable positive pin because the stupid positive in the Subox is not adjustable. You will have to make sure that you don't over-extend the pin on the dripper or it will mash down the Subox contact pin and your Subtank won't make contact anymore. I did that with my Freakshow Mini (which I do not recommend, leaks like crazy) and I had to disassemble the Subox and push the contact back up from the inside.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just got a Subtank Mini and love it. Doesn't go through juice as fast as I thought it would. A tank last me a whole work day and I can vape at work. I will say that the flavor and vapor is not as good as my Lemo 2's. But for the ease of coil change/rebuild without draining the tank, the trade-off is worth it. Granted I have not yet tried the rebuildable deck yet. One thing I will note is this thing does not leak at all. It was a big fear of mine before getting it. I read lots of horror stories This thing has been left in a hot car an spent all day in the saddlebag of my bike in the heat and it did not leak or seep one bit.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't tried the OCC coils yet. The rba is a joy to build on and wick. I am having too much fun with it to bother with the pre-built coils And,yeah, no leaks as long as you have the bell nice and tight.

philfish8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am in the same boat, I have a subtank nano and am looking for a new subtank that has better airflow, hopefully better flavor and the option for temp control nickel coils. I love this little tank, just want to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a subtank nano...a kayfun lite plus...a taifun gt and a taifun gt with the taifun gt2 base...one tank ive recently aquired will have them all collecting dust...The Orchid v4

This is an older style tank but, considered the grand father of subtanks...this tank has so many upgrades and custom options available for it today, it isnt even funny.

Air flow upgrades to which can equal a well breathing rda..Juice capacity up to 7ml or even more...low ohm coil builds down to .20 possible.

This has to be the most versatile tank on the market still today..Its not a buy it and its done type tank unless you are happy with the stock air flow and capacity (flavor is outstanding at 25 watts and dual .70 ohm 28g coils in stock configuration) ...if you arent afraid to do a little work this can be your dream tank.

Im new to this orchid tank myself ... after doing alot of research i have no doubt this will be the only tank i own in many different configurations, making them each unique with both style and performance.

Just a possible option for you to consider..if you want to learn more about the orchid and what can be done, check out this thread...http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors