Become a Patron!

Upped my wicking game

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've read more than once here "flavor is in the wicking". After alot of adjustments over a long period of time, I thought I had wicking down. I've only used one kind of cotton. I had no idea how much better I could do.

I got an Avacodo 24 in January and didn't really like it. It worked okay but I wasn't really pleased with it. It's one of my least used tanks. I just put in some new wicks and WOW. It will be in the main rotation for sure.

I also read here "The best coils are the ones you build yourself...more flavor, ect." I didn't fully buy into that but I'm coming around. The combination of a good build and the right wick can really perform!

What I was using-
0613171529-1.jpg
What I will use from now on-
0613171526-1.jpg
I never had saturation like this! The pads always took a while to get wet again after a couple pulls. The CB soaks the ejuice way faster to the coils. It gives a way better flavor. My wicks never were like this (saturation)-
0613171507_HDR-1.jpg
0613171508c-1.jpg
The cotton is soaked (which is a good thing). I wont be using pads anymore. I cant go back. My Avacado is performing great now.
As always big thanks to the entire forum for helping me learn. I know about all the other options but...baby steps :)

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those dual coils read .49 Ohms. I hit them at 55W.

I didn't want to try the Cotton Bacon for the longest time because the word, "Bacon" lol

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
with the pads..did you remove the top and bottom layer first? or did you use the whole thing

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Before I came to this forum I used the whole strip I'd cut. I saw that tip and tried it. I didnt notice much differance.
once i tried it it made a difference for me. there was less break in time and more flavor, I use the muji pads form amazon and never tried anything else

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The pads work just as well , You can get around 4 strips per pad, once cut , peel off both outer layers then stretch and fluff the pads out like webbing it can make the size of nearly 3 strips in width if spread out enough, before rolling back up its then as fluffy as CB,
Cotton's- cotton tbh , as long as you dont pack the coils tight , juice flows perfectly to them.
When they say its in the wicking its the style , not so much the actual cotton as long as its Organic clean cotton , it should all work , just as well as each other i have Bacon cotton jelly fish ,demon killer , all the same how its done cut packed,
The pads ,Ken do , puff , ud kendo and others are all relatively similar , if prepared and packed correctly into the coils and deck im finding ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not ventured that far yet & am no expert but that coil looks amazing! Better than the Claptons that came with my Big Baby Beast tank, stock. I hope my coils look that good!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The pads work just as well , You can get around 4 strips per pad, once cut , peel off both outer layers then stretch and fluff the pads out like webbing it can make the size of nearly 3 strips in width if spread out enough, before rolling back up its then as fluffy as CB,
Cotton's- cotton tbh , as long as you dont pack the coils tight , juice flows perfectly to them.
When they say its in the wicking its the style , not so much the actual cotton as long as its Organic clean cotton , it should all work , just as well as each other i have Bacon cotton jelly fish ,demon killer , all the same how its done cut packed,
The pads ,Ken do , puff , ud kendo and others are all relatively similar , if prepared and packed correctly into the coils and deck im finding ,

I know what you're talking about. Cotton is cotton but they way the fibers are entwined on a microscopic level can be different. I've done all I could with pads after watching numerous videos. CB in my opinion is the superior product. Its ready to go right out of the pack. All you have to do is peel a little off, run it through and trim.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know what you're talking about. Cotton is cotton but they way the fibers are entwined on a microscopic level can be different. I've done all I could with pads after watching numerous videos. CB in my opinion is the superior product. Its ready to go right out of the pack. All you have to do is peel a little off, run it through and trim.
Thats just Marketing , tbh , there all done similar way,
Ive bought over 15 different brands /types and although some are slightly cleaner than the other , there isnt much difference unless comparing cellular cotton and Rayon and Organic cotton , one is part cotton and Rayon ,one is just cotton other is 100% rayon

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Another good thing with the avacado is wick it so the cotton just barely goes into the hole. I also prefer rolling the cotton and then thinning the ends but that's just how I like it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think CB is a blend of cotton & rayon isn't it (would explain Franks experience of exceptional wicking compared to pads)?
Gives you the best of both worlds I would imagine, haven't tried it yet... still working on my lifetime supply of rayon and 8 pads of KJD left.
Might just order CB when the KJD is near finished.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It may come down to how fluffed up the cotton is. Pads are packed pretty tight in layers. The past few times I've used pads I've cut two strips just slightly wider than my coil, peeled the outer layers off then stacked the two strips. Gently pull along the length and remove any of the excess fluff and open the cotton up some. Works pretty well. Wicks well, no dry hits on 3.5mm coils. Scottish roll works well too for similar reasons.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is 1/3 cotton pad cut in to a strip then spread out thinly before rolling up ,
d9e5bb27fce1f4398a24ed2674166b96.jpg
a05cd803048ecf872f1b76bdcb80cfb2.jpg
1811d5441a233670a0e5c2c0d40f0f6a.jpg

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can do the same without cutting the pad, just peeling off one layer of the entire pad and the rolling it (Scottish roll method). I use that with rayon as well, it always work for me.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Done all that^^. Like others have posted its probably a different type. A better type imo. Ive seen ten page debates about this vs that. Some people take a stance others say they're wrong. CB kicked the shit out of what I used for years right out of the pack, and tasted way better. I used to believe the people saying its just put in a fancy pouch and marked up price. I made the thread because I dont believe that anymore. I've experienced first hand how good it is. I aint tryin to sell it, just trying to help people find better ways.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not against cotton bacon, just never had a chance to try it.
I'm still convinced rayon wicks the same, or better, and it's probably cheaper.
Just that

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just that

I used Rayon for the longest time, still have a half a box of it...and the wicking of the 2 are similar if not the same...the biggest difference for me, since I only use RDA's...is that moment where you thought you dripped but didnt and take a rip...This is when Rayon truly makes Korean Baby Jesus Cry.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all in what you prefer, nothing right or wrong with it. Would suck if there was just one bag being sold called 'vape wick' and that's all we had to choose from.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using cotton bacon for about 5 months. It is a blend if cotton and rayon as the op stated. Local guys said CB v1 tasted a little better but I will never know. I just bought native wick cotton but haven't tried yet. A buddy uses it and said it wicks better than cb and tastes a hair better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just that
It is the same thing, fancy name for rayon, it just costs a LOT more than a 3lb box of cellucotton.....:giggle:

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Like others have posted its probably a different type. A better type imo

I use exclusively Muji cotton, same method @benley73 uses, I've gotten so good I know exactly how much to cut so it fits all diameters of coils perfectly :D

Not a fan of Cotton Bacon myself, I find it has a half a tank break in period (2-3ml) before I get full flavor, it does wick really good though...

Love the Avocado 24, I had three but one got run over, still have two but don't use them much anymore since I've been testing a couple tanks.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use exclusively Muji cotton, same method @benley73 uses, I've gotten so good I know exactly how much to cut so it fits all diameters of coils perfectly :D

Not a fan of Cotton Bacon myself, I find it has a half a tank break in period (2-3ml) before I get full flavor, it does wick really good though...

Love the Avocado 24, I had three but one got run over, still have two but don't use them much anymore since I've been testing a couple tanks.
Same here I found tastes dont kick in properly,
until its had half a tank run through it. I can taste it but its better once its been used for a little while,
Where as the pads once done correctly seem to give Flavours a lot sooner , but its what ever your happy with there definitely plenty of different brands out there but most use the same starting cotton and you pay more for foil packaging

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It will be a little while but I will eventually try Ready X Wicks.

You will probably be a little disappointed with RXW, it was much better than silica back in the day and does last a very long time but performance just isn't there compared to cotton or rayon.

kittyn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is the same thing, fancy name for rayon, it just costs a LOT more than a 3lb box of cellucotton.....:giggle:
Yeah, probably, but I don't want a 3lb box of cellucotton hanging around. I'd rather pay more and have it easily stashable than have to clean up a fluffy mess when a kid or dog got into it lol

May change once I have the current house and storage areas sorted out, but have moved recently enough that it's still pure chaos over here

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DIY cotton bacon:

Just for kicks I spread a KJD pad out like you would for a Scottish roll, placed a layer of rayon in and rolled one up :D
20170618_100127-1.jpg

Wicks well, not sure if better than just a pad but this was a beta test in an rda. Next up will be in a merlin mini to see how well it can keep up with chain vaping in an rta :cheers:

20170618_100736-1.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors