Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Nice article. Maybe it should be in “The Good”.

While I do appreciate the authors honest opinion with facts included, I see correlations between vaping and smoking other than the only correlation. It's not stated that the only similarity is that they are both nicotine delivery systems. He also doesn’t emphatically state vaping is not smoking. Those points can be extrapolated from the content, but he doesn’t state them. I don’t like the term e-cigarette, think it should never be used, and imo is partly the reason for some of the misconceptions the polled “wrong 53%”/not knowing 23%” , have.

In a few places he allows the readers to equate vaping with smoking in a way that it shouldn’t be. Here’s a few and I’ll strike through, and [replace], so you know what I mean.

Here, using "any form of", equates vaping with smoking:
“No one wants teens, or anyone else, to take up any form of smoking, [vaping], or become addicted to nicotine.

Again here:
“In a perfect world, no one would smoke anything , [vape], eat junk food, have unprotected sex, drink alcohol or stay up too late.”

And he uses a term that includes the word “cigarette” in his description of vaping and uses it to compare differences to “smoking”:
“Clearly, American smokers and non-smokers are unfamiliar with the differences between e-cigarettes [vaping] and traditional cigarette smoking, and misunderstand how traditional cigarette smoking causes harm.”

As long as we use the term e-cigarette, there will always be those that get it wrong or don't know. Right now, according to the article that number is 76% of voters polled. And we know that FDA, media, politicians, whomever portrays vaping to be something it isn't, is who these, 53+23% = 76% of votes listen to.

"Traditional cigarette smoking" makes me laugh. If I said " they were smoking", ppl are already going to think they were smoking a cigarette as we know it. Using the preface traditional cigarette says that vaping is a non-traditional form of a cigarette.
We don’t e-cigarette and aren’t e-cigaretting.
We vape or are vaping,,,with atomizers.

Good to see a vaping positive in a large publication, but could have been better as it could have left readers with a clearer separation between vaping and smoking.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your point is well taken and I almost never use the term "e-cigarette."

I do think we can chalk this person's use of it to simply not having a lot experience with vaping and simply using what she knows.

VU Sponsors