Become a Patron!

USB Charging and Adapters, Safety

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok, so I charge all sorts of things through USB, mostly at home or hotel, rarely in car:

- iStick 40 TCW (supposed to use 1A)
- Aspire CF Maxx (can't find instructions on what type of adapter to use)

Non vaping:

- Verizon Jetpack Mifi, wireless hotspot (ditto, don't see specifics on what type of adapter to use)
- Moto G2, Android phone, used for both personal and work
- Samsung flip phone, for certain people at work to call me
- Cheap Wal-Mart LG Trac Phone, for certain other people at work to call me

Frankly, I've used whatever's been available to charge any of these, without paying attention to what adapter I've been using. Then, I read a few stories about iSticks venting, or worse..... and similar for cell phones. My former LG Android would get hot while charging in the car lighter, and I assumed it was the phone.

Question is, when does the adapter type matter? I can't possibly observe 6 devices charging simultaneously.

Are any Android type USB adapters ok for the cell phones and hotspot? What adaptor is needed for the car?

What would be the safest adapters (specs, brands) to use for the iStick 40 and Aspire CF Maxx?

Thanks

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wikipedia has a good page explaining the evolution of the usb interface.
After reading it, you will still have no answers to your question, but explanations as to behavior of some chargers when plugged into smart devices and do not show a charging state.
You really must know the version of the usb board/smart chip in the device and the usb version the different chargers support to sort it all out. That is tough.
If in doubt, use the lowest current rated charger that gives you indication of charge.
Label the chargers that come with the device and keep them paired. At the very least, create a text file or faux fone number with the specs of the charger on the fone or perm mark it on device (like battery packs or on battery door).
This will at least keep you in the ballpark. Stuff gets bundled w/ chargers that do not have any indication of what it belongs to. Also, chargers with TUV , UL CE or other certs are safer than those that do not.
Some usb chargers have a usb jack and a usb to mini cord. You may find the cords do not pass data because they have only 2 conductors (positive and ground). Newer usb stuff uses all 4 conductors to ID charger and charging mode. The actual charger may work with the device, but the cord is wrong.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wikipedia has a good page explaining the evolution of the usb interface.
After reading it, you will still have no answers to your question, but explanations as to behavior of some chargers when plugged into smart devices and do not show a charging state.
You really must know the version of the usb board/smart chip in the device and the usb version the different chargers support to sort it all out. That is tough.
If in doubt, use the lowest current rated charger that gives you indication of charge.
Label the chargers that come with the device and keep them paired. At the very least, create a text file or faux fone number with the specs of the charger on the fone or perm mark it on device (like battery packs or on battery door).
This will at least keep you in the ballpark. Stuff gets bundled w/ chargers that do not have any indication of what it belongs to. Also, chargers with TUV , UL CE or other certs are safer than those that do not.
Some usb chargers have a usb jack and a usb to mini cord. You may find the cords do not pass data becasue they have only 2 conductors (positive and ground). Newer usb stuff uses all 4 conductors to ID charger and charging mode. The actual charger may work with the device, but the cord is wrong.

Thanks for the detailed response. I will go to lower power and look for the certifications you mentioned. I have the Aspire USB device, but the wall adaptor is unlabeled generic now. The iStick 40 concerns me, even though I believe it was the iStick 50's that occasionally went boom at one time.

VU Sponsors