Become a Patron!

Using 35mg Salt E-Juice in Sub-Ohm Setup?

First a brief background. I'm a social smoker, like 1 pack every two weeks of Marlboro Lights or Reds. I tried vaping before, did my homework, but didn't like it. It just wasn't a good replacement for casual cigarette smoking, just made things more complicated, didn't get the same "rush", misplaced charging cord, messy cartridges, forget to charge, yada yada.

So I decided to give it another try and did more homework and learned about the salt based e-juice. Also was recommended to get a Joyetech AIO for a good setup that is simple to use. Guy at the shop mentioned briefly the salt juice doesn't work well in sub ohm but I tried it anyway. I made sure to get a 35mg juice instead of 50mg (Naked 100 Patriot Tobacco flavor.) I probably smoke from it 3-4 times a day for no more than one or two minutes, or like 6 puffs. I'm not one of these people smoking a dozen times a day for 5+ minutes. I've enjoyed the smoking experience and it has replaced regular cigs. Love not smelling like smoke! Hit is smooth with not a lot of smoke (airflow turned down) and throat hit isn't too bad, salt effect more like a regular cig. Haven't felt ill effects although I sometimes get a slight headache but I got that with regular cigs too.

I'm mildly allergic to the PG so the 65 VG / 35 PG Salt E-juice from Naked has worked well for me.

But I'm seeing all these articles about salt juice shouldn't be used in Sub-Ohm due to the strength. Is this really that big a deal if you don't smoke it that much and use 35mg juice instead of 50? If it is "BAD" even with infrequent short smoking sessions and 35mg, can someone recommend an alternative to the Joytech AIO to be used with this salt based e-juice. Something simple, easy to use, not bigger than the Joyetech.

Thanks

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
First a brief background. I'm a social smoker, like 1 pack every two weeks of Marlboro Lights or Reds. I tried vaping before, did my homework, but didn't like it. It just wasn't a good replacement for casual cigarette smoking, just made things more complicated, didn't get the same "rush", misplaced charging cord, messy cartridges, forget to charge, yada yada.

So I decided to give it another try and did more homework and learned about the salt based e-juice. Also was recommended to get a Joyetech AIO for a good setup that is simple to use. Guy at the shop mentioned briefly the salt juice doesn't work well in sub ohm but I tried it anyway. I made sure to get a 35mg juice instead of 50mg (Naked 100 Patriot Tobacco flavor.) I probably smoke from it 3-4 times a day for no more than one or two minutes, or like 6 puffs. I'm not one of these people smoking a dozen times a day for 5+ minutes. I've enjoyed the smoking experience and it has replaced regular cigs. Love not smelling like smoke! Hit is smooth with not a lot of smoke (airflow turned down) and throat hit isn't too bad, salt effect more like a regular cig. Haven't felt ill effects although I sometimes get a slight headache but I got that with regular cigs too.

I'm mildly allergic to the PG so the 65 VG / 35 PG Salt E-juice from Naked has worked well for me.

But I'm seeing all these articles about salt juice shouldn't be used in Sub-Ohm due to the strength. Is this really that big a deal if you don't smoke it that much and use 35mg juice instead of 50? If it is "BAD" even with infrequent short smoking sessions and 35mg, can someone recommend an alternative to the Joytech AIO to be used with this salt based e-juice. Something simple, easy to use, not bigger than the Joyetech.

Thanks

Edit: everyone is different, do what you like - articles like what you read are mainly opinions meant to guide new vapers, not rules

It's not that it's "bad" in general - it will Hurt. The amount of nicotine bombarding your throat and lungs will hurt. 35mg salt nicotine is rough even at 15 watts - I would not recommend it for direct lung hits at anything above 10mg (10mg being Very Strong and more than I could stand)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Edit again, sorry - that mod is on the low side, wattage and vapor wise - not what I think of as a "subohm" mod even if the coils are below 1 ohm - most are designed for low wattage and mouth to lung puffs

Also, recent smokers have hardened leather throats (sorry lol), and aren't as sensetive to irritants

So what you are saying is that for a sub-ohm mod the Joetech AIO is on the low power side so that's why I've been able to do 35mg salt without getting sick?

I see they have a BF coil that is 1.5 ohm instead of 0.6 that it comes with for their Cubis. Fits the AIO. I'm guessing that might be a good solution so I can keep using my AIO with 35mg salt but have a less potent hit?

From Joyetech:

20W-30W(0.5ohm head); 10W-15W(1.0ohm)

So maybe 1.5ohm head will be too low of wattage and I should stick to the 0.6 ohm head or 1.0 ohm head if available?

So is the bottom line that the warnings against using salt juice with sub-ohm mods assuming much higher wattage mods and the stock Joyetech AIO actually is okay with 35mg salts?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Thanks
35 mg is ok for a causal vaper when used in a pod system only. What you are reading is about using that mg with sub ohming which which will be 5 times stronger in the quick delivery of nicotine to your body..

Nic salt gets absorbed into to your system much quicker then traditional e juice so there for sub ohming it might be way too much nic at one time resulting in a over dose.

Pod devices have a different delivery system that most use nic salts.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So what you are saying is that for a sub-ohm mod the Joetech AIO is on the low power side so that's why I've been able to do 35mg salt without getting sick?

I see they have a BF coil that is 1.5 ohm instead of 0.6 that it comes with for their Cubis. Fits the AIO. I'm guessing that might be a good solution so I can keep using my AIO with 35mg salt but have a less potent hit?

From Joyetech:

So maybe 1.5ohm head will be too low of wattage and I should stick to the 0.6 ohm head or 1.0 ohm head if available?

So is the bottom line that the warnings against using salt juice with sub-ohm mods assuming much higher wattage mods and the stock Joyetech AIO actually is okay with 35mg salts?

Whatever you like is okay to use, in my opinion - yeah the 1.5 ohm coil would make less vapor and so have a lighter punch

I vape nic salts btw, 4mg in sub-ohm (like 70 watts though) and 15mg at 10-20 watts, but I quit smoking a long time ago. I used to get heartburn when I did both, nausea too

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

From Joyetech:

Lets put it this way if you are using 35 mg nic salt , and you DO NOT feel dizzy or light headed then by all means continue to use. When you get too much nic at one time those are the first symptoms. It is all trial, and error to what you like or can tolerate when it comes to higher ohm coils, and juice percentage of nicotine.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I use 35 mg nic salt in some of my pods, like the Blu, and a few others but too strong for me in the Zenith tank using a 0.8 coil. Now a 1.5 ohm coil may be better with 35 mg nic salt for me. Just a example since everyone has different tolerances to nic.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

If it works for you and you are not getting a headache or upset stomach then IMO keep doing it. If it is not irritating your throat and you have no ill effects I would not listen to anything you hear not to do this or that. I remember a while back people saying you should be vaping at 100 Watts plus! Good Luck

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Thanks

You need to vape whatever strength nic that will satisfy you enough to keep you from smoking. If the 35mg doesn't make you sick, and you're happy with it, you're good to go.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

From Joyetech:

The higher ohm coil would be best for nic salts AND battery life in a Joytech AIO

1.5ohm coils will work great.

You'll end up around 10 watts with a 1.5 ohm coil and that's where most pod devices are at.

VU Sponsors