Become a Patron!

using that bag to cover battery charger

philsubOhms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does anyone use that bag that you put the battery charger in , its a fire safe bag. I have a efest soda charger i never put it in a bag. They say you have to have a stone floor to put the bag on, then put the charger in. I mean I understand safety first but i never had a problem charging my 18650's in the efest charger. Most of the time i use the charger built in to my ipv d2 or subox nano , being that has built in circuit battery protection. Besides if i get that "charging bag" i dont have a stone floor.
Help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A meltdown situation is a rarity so you can relax, but only a little.

Keeping an eye on the charger is a good idea as is chacking it periodically to be certain there's not to much heat developing. I 'sorta' keep an eye on them (I have a couple four-bangers) and don't put batts in the charge overnight while I'm sleeping but have never felt the need to bag one.

I'll be interested to hear how other feel about this common situation.. We charge a schitt- tonne of batts.,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a couple chargers I use daily rarely check them and am very comfortable with it. As long as they are good quality chargers you should be fine. I also NEVER charge while I am sleeping.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
YEah, worth mentioning, I suppose. I use a Nitecore i4 and an XTAR VC4. Supposedly self regulating and auto-off but I wouldn't rely on that with any charger.

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1st and foremost, if possible, I never charge my batteries in my box if they are removable. I have an Efest LUC V4 and quite confortable with it. I've know some of my friends who had their boxes blown, or shorted, by charging them via the attached USB cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anyone use that bag that you put the battery charger in , its a fire safe bag. I have a efest soda charger i never put it in a bag. They say you have to have a stone floor to put the bag on, then put the charger in. I mean I understand safety first but i never had a problem charging my 18650's in the efest charger. Most of the time i use the charger built in to my ipv d2 or subox nano , being that has built in circuit battery protection. Besides if i get that "charging bag" i dont have a stone floor.
Help

I fly model airplanes and have used a bag for my Li-po packs. The thing is I don't put the charger in the bag, the pack is connected to the charger with a cable and the pack is all that's in the bag.

I have two Xtar chargers that I use for 18xxx batts. I use these in the house without a bag. I'm generally in the same room with it. If I leave the room I put my hand on the charger and batts to make sure they're not getting too warm, then leave it charging. If I leave the house or go to bed I unplug it and resume when I'm awake and there. That works for me.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO, the charger and batteries should never be placed in a sealed container. Doing so will only increase heat buildup.

Most of the problem with charging is due to cheap/poor quality charging circuits. It's not the fact that you're using any type of USB power source, which should be 5 volts, but may vary, and it shouldn't matter if it does. The charging circuit should take the applied voltage, then regulate the output voltage and current to charge your battery at the proper rate. When charged, it should cut things down to a very safe maintenance charge. Shouldn't matter if the USB output is 250 ma. or 2.5 amps, 4 or 7 volts, etc. It's the charging circuit's job to properly do these things. Cheap charging circuits have little or no protection built into them that prevents dangerous conditions should something go wrong.

Chargers are built into many boxes and even in every ego battery. And when these charging circuits are as cheap as they can be, such as in these sub 10 dollar batteries, things go wrong quite often. Even in the more expensive boxes the charging circuit uses nothing more than these cheap methods.

Battery charging is relatively easy and safe. Use a quality charger; the latest and greatest frills and displays aren't usually necessary and the money spent on frills only takes away from the needed quality. Don't charge them at the fastest rate you possibly can just to save a little time; if adjustable, set your charger's current to a lower level. It's safest to charge them at the slowest rate possible. Easier on the charger, safer on the battery, less heat, and more peace of mind.

Been vaping 5 years, using the same charger, some of my batteries are over 2 years old and still going strong. Never had a venting or failure situation and I charge all night sometimes. It's when you push your batteries or chargers to the limit of their capability that things go wrong.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not a good idea to put your charger in a li-p bag when charging,charging creates heat and those li-po bag are well insulated = really hot inside bag when charging

marshal900l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't use a bag when charging mine always have my charger on the go day or night and never had a problem with getting hot or anything.

marshal900l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been doing the same for about 2 and half years now no problems if you worry then something is most likely to happen so just not to worry about what could happen

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a bag but I'm too lazy to put the charger/mod in it, so I just put it on it.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been doing the same for about 2 and half years now no problems if you worry then something is most likely to happen so just not to worry about what could happen

if you worry then something is most likely to happen so just not to worry about what could happen
[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that 'don't say anything or you'll jinx it' philosophy. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, reconsider those overnight charges. It really is possible, albeit remote, that something could go sideways. While you're asleep is not a great time to have it happen to you. It seems silly to quit smoking, enjoy better health, then die in a preventable housefire. Besides, those e-cigarette battery charger-related fire headlines are really shitty publicity. Do it for the team, marshal! :)

VU Sponsors