Become a Patron!

UWELL Amulet Pod System (Pod Watch)

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Amulet Pod System from Uwell. The Uwell Amulet Pod System was supplied for the purpose of this review by Pearl from Cigabuy.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-uwell-...15902.html

Introduction

Uwell best known for their series of Crown Tanks and more recently the very well received Caliburn bring us the Amulet, the first but no doubt not the last pod watch. The Amulet has a basic smart watch appearance giving the time and then the main body can be detached from the strap section to reveal it's a pod vaping device. The Amulet is a basic draw activated pod device with a small 370mAh battery and accommodates 2ml capacity pods with shallow mouthpiece. Of course it is somewhat of a gimmick but how does it vape? let's find out!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Uwell Amulet Pod Kit
1 x Micro USB Cable
1 x User Manual
Information Cards

Aesthetics and ergonomics

The Amulet comes in a plastic container with a cardboard sleeve and on opening the container the assembled pod watch is nicely presented. The device only comes in Black and is very easy to describe as it looks just like an oversized smart watch with silicone sports strap. The Black face of the watch/device has a mirrored type finish and it fitted very well on my wrist so therefore very portable and ergonomic. The device can be used independently of it's frame and strap where it becomes very much a small stealth device.

Amulet Specs and Features:

Material: PCTG, Polycarbonate, Silicone
Size: 47.7 x 37.5 x 17.2 mm
Net Weight: 27g
Juice Capacity: 2ml
Battery Capacity: 370mAh
Maximum Wattage: 10W
Resistance of Coil: 1.6Ω
The draw-activated mechanism is simple and easy to use.
The PCBA is dust-proof, effectively protects the core unit of the device.
The chip has multiple circuit protection functions to supply stable, safe and reliable performance.
Touch to wake up the screen, check the date and time at any time.
Refillable pod, cost-effective to use.
Simple and compact appearance. It can be worn as a watch to free your hands.
Colour Option: Black

The Amulet's Main Sections

The Amulet has a frame for the device to clip into which is worn on the wrist. It has a silicone sports strap much the same as on the Apple watch and each side has a retractable rod for easy removal which makes me believe different colour straps will be available soon. The main device gets secured in place by guiding the top mouth section into a cavity shaped for it then pressing into place the bottom which clicks it secure into the frame. On the outside of the frame we have a release button which you need to press to release the device, the catch that holds the device in place uses the USB port as a notch for the catch to hold the device secure which i'm not sure is such a good idea!

The Pod

The pod is a shallow rectangular shape which holds 2ml of e-liquid which has a very low profile central mouth section. The pod is tinted but seeing your juice level when detached isn't an issue although when it's attached light can't pass properly through so seeing the level clearly just isn't possible and a major con, we also have a min fill line which again is hidden when in place so pretty much pointless.
Looking at the bottom of the pod we have your two contacts and the hole which will lead to the membrane switch. To one side we have quite a large silicone bung which stays attached to the pod when lifted up which reveals a very generous fill port and as already mentioned when filling because the pod is detached seeing the juice level isn't any issue, good job!
The pod accommodates a Kanthal vertical coil with a 1.6ohm resistance so the device will be low power and the 2ml of liquid will go a long way. The pod is a sealed unit so the coil can't be replaced and only one pod is included which just isn't good enough!

Fitting The Pod

The device allows the pod to be fully visible at the front and sides as it press fits into place secured by using 2 tracks on the back of the screen section that protrudes, this back section stops light passing properly through the pod so i had real difficulties seeing the juice level.
When looking inside the pods bay we can see the 2 Gold plated, spring loaded contacts and the hole that leads to the membrane switch, this all has a silicone surround and it's a really neat and tidy job.
The pod fits very securely with no movement and the groove texture on both sides of the pod is needed for grip when removing it.

The Watch Face (Screen)

The front of the device that faces you when it's clicked into the watch frame is a mirrored black panel which although main purpose is being a watch does give certain vaping information. Top left we have the resistance and top right the battery status bar. Then in very large font we have the hour and minutes underneath. Bottom left we have the date and finally bottom right the day, the display is very bright and as a watch it does it's job!

Review Continued Below:

Last edited:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Navigating The Amulet

The Amulet is a simple draw activated device so when switched on simply take a draw to vape. On the left side of the device we do have a physical button which can be used to switch the device on and off by clicking it quickly 5 times. The display only stays on for about 10 seconds so if you need to see the time when the screen is off simply press the button once and the display comes back on, long pressing the button (for 4 seconds) flips the screen.
To set the time and date you need to click the button 3 times which brings up all the values that can be changed with the current item that can be altered blinking, each press of the button moves to the next item that can be altered. The watch screen has two virtual buttons left and right which are used during setting the time and date altering values up or down, setting and going back to the main watch screen is done by long pressing the side button.

Protections

The Amulet has all the usual protections you would expect:

Over-vape Protection (8s)
Open Circuit Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Low Power Protection
Temperature Protection

My Experience Using The Amulet

After using the device i have to be honest and say i much prefer to wear a watch and have a separate vaping device and the Amulet does have a novelty feel to it which no doubt will be copied several times before pod watches disappear as just that (was a fad or novelty), after saying that many will be interested in getting one and why not!
The watch is comfortable to wear and the fact you need to press the side button to show the time as it doesn't stay displayed for long really didn't bother me although it might bother others.
With the device being all plastic and using the USB as the support for the catch with no metallic surround for support does worry me that over time the shell could start to crack but after a couple of weeks of use mine is holding up well, i guess only time will tell if this does become an issue. Of course once the wearable pod watch novelty wears off the device can just be used independently as a stealth pod device.
When it comes to vaping the Amulet surprised me as it vapes great with both a draw and flavour very similar to the Caliburn, a loose MTL but definitely not DL (just a very nice draw). I have been using it for a couple of weeks alongside testing other products and the flavour is showing no sign of dropping off so really decent longevity which is a good job as you only receive one pod. The Amulet vaped equally well with both 70VG freebase and 50/50 nic salts. Using independently of the frame and strap just as a stealth pod device (which of course still displays the time) it would be one of the best pod devices available for it's draw and flavour but i did have issues. The first issue being not able to see your juice level very well and another being it's shocking battery life, sometimes what sounds like a puny battery life can surprise but not on this occasion. The low profile mouth section also needs getting use to and i just couldn't avoid my lips coming in contact with the main section of the pod, it's quite a warm vape and any form of chain vaping became too hot on my lips. The device is direct output but with the resistance being 1.6ohm any drop off seemed minimal and although battery life was not good it did charge in 40 minutes while supporting pass through.

Pod watch concept well executed
Large bright display
Device can be used independently of frame and strap
Device fits in frame securely
Pod fits securely
No issues filling
Virtual buttons for altering time and date
Device can be turned on and off
Release button
Simple draw activated device
Very nice loose MTL draw (comparable to Caliburn)
Very good flavour (comparable to Caliburn)
Good pod longevity
Charges in 40 minutes while supporting pass through
Multiple safety protections

Cons

Shocking battery life
Only one pod included
Lips got too hot with any form of chain vaping
Question mark about durability of using USB port for holding catch
Can't see juice level very easily without moving pod
Mouthpiece felt strange
Only one colour option

I would once again like to thank Pearl from Cigabuy for supplying the Amulet Pod system for the purpose of this review.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-uwell-...15902.html

VU Sponsors