Become a Patron!

Uwell Crown coil problems?

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had the Uwell Crown for almost 2 months now. I love it. I have been using the .5 coils. When I load a new coil I prime it, let it sit for about 5 minutes, I start vaping at about 30w and work my way up to 60w. The issue I am having is when I use an ejuice that is on the sweeter side, it seems to kiil the coil almost instantly. I only use 3mg nic juices. A few weeks ago I bought the Gush ejuice, 3mg, for the first time. Loaded my tank. Almost immediately starting getting horrible tasting hits. Thought the coil had went bad. Loaded a new coil. Lasted less than a day using the Gush juice. Few days ago I bought the Steam Factory Muffcake flavor, 3mg. Loaded in the tank, within hours starting getting horrible tasting hits. Loaded a new coil, loaded more Muffcake, same thing. Less than a day and the coil went bad. I have never had issues with the ANML Looper, any of the Suicide Bunny flavors, or any other flavors I have used, and yes I prefer the sweeter flavors. I know that the sweeter juices will cut down on coil life, but less than a day? Am I missing something or doing something wrong here?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How are you priming it?

I've only had one (presumably bad) coil that lasted less than a day, but I don't prime these coils the way I prime other coils.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How are you priming it?

I've only had one (presumably bad) coil that lasted less than a day, but I don't prime these coils the way I prime other coils.

Well first I take a sewing needle and put a hole in 2 of the 4 little circles of the exposed cotton, then 2 holes in the cotton at the top of the coil. I put 3-4 drops of juice on each of the 4 circles where the cotton is exposed and 4-6 drops around the cotton at the top of the coil. I then load the tank full of juice, stand it straight up for about 5 minutes. I then start vaping at 30w.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well first I take a sewing needle and put a hole in 2 of the 4 little circles of the exposed cotton, then 2 holes in the cotton at the top of the coil. I put 3-4 drops of juice on each of the 4 circles where the cotton is exposed and 4-6 drops around the cotton at the top of the coil. I then load the tank full of juice, stand it straight up for about 5 minutes. I then start vaping at 30w.

I think that might be your problem.

Try slowly dropping liquid on to top of the coil (not the sides) - repeat it for about 10 minutes until it comes out of the holes. You shoudn't have to poke holes - only do that if it's a bad coil (I only did that once).

There's a youtube video somewhere about how to prime these coils, but that's the gist of it!

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think that might be your problem.

Try slowly dropping liquid on to top of the coil (not the sides) - repeat it for about 10 minutes until it comes out of the holes. You shoudn't have to poke holes - only do that if it's a bad coil (I only did that once).

There's a youtube video somewhere about how to prime these coils, but that's the jist of it!

Will definitely give this a try, thanks! I am just wondering why it has only happened with these 2 juices. With both of them, I loaded them into a coil that I had been using already. With both of them it was almost immediate horrible hits. With both of them, after loading the new coil, they both killed the new coil in just under a day. Maybe coincidence I guess.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Amanda is a power user. Nothing wrong with that. She is very big on priming. It's necessary. But I don't big deal it much. I keep squeezing juice till it won't take anymore. Takes about a minute. I don't "break in" my coils. I do lower power a bit just because new coils are new. And they are clean and will pop and spit/pop a bit till they dirty up a tad. Usually a tank or two to settle down. But that's it. And I haven't had any problems with any coil. I don't spend a lot of time on it.

New coils can have a taste. But I have never had any go from good to bad. I'm not really sure what's going on with your setup. But I don't think a log drawn out priming initial use procedure is your fix.

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Sounds to me like it is the juice. Not all vendor eliquids are made with quality ingredients, and there are some flavors that will just gunk up any coil. Not a big deal with drippers, since you can burn it off and rewick, but not good for tanks. I recommend you don't use those juices unless dripping.

ironman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I soaked the hell out of it the. Dry the outside. Then screw it on the base.. There might be some gurgling the beginning but shortly goes away

KingNaga

Member For 4 Years
I drip some on the holes and down the sides of the outside then put the coil in and fill the tank. After I put everything together and put the juice away and all that I come back and with the AFC closed and i just take a few short hits without firing. I never have a problem with wicking except with the stupid Kanger coils.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds to me like it is the juice. Not all vendor eliquids are made with quality ingredients, and there are some flavors that will just gunk up any coil. Not a big deal with drippers, since you can burn it off and rewick, but not good for tanks. I recommend you don't use those juices unless dripping.
Not just quality of the ingredients but just the ingredients themselves. I use a juice from one brand where 2 of the flavors I have no issues with, just great all around. The third flavor I really like, but it just tears through my wicks and gunks the coils. Knowing the people I know how much care they put in to making it the best they can, but it's a lime and spice combination and it just wreaks havoc on the system... really good though. At this point I just count on it ending my coils lives so I toss it in with a new wick when I'm ready to rebuild later that day anyways, tank lasts me through the day then I rebuild when I get home.

Anyways, yes it could very well be the juice that's doing this. The juice I'm talking about will tear through my wicks 5X as quickly and the coils won't be the same even dryburning the RBA deck to clean, which works fine for any other juice.

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Agreed. I'm not sure of the flavor profiles for the two giving you trouble, but I'll bet they have flavorings that tend to gunk up.

Masher59

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just go around the top of the coil and let it soak down through the cotton. Try not to let it go down the inside or it will run out the air intake lol. Fill up the tank and let it sit a bit then I roll with it. I haven't had any issues at all with mine.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's called break-in.
I see you do this word mincing babble quite a bit.... You just wanna hear yourself talk.
Spend some time learning about vaping before you presume to teach.

Amanda's vid post is 100% correct... as is she. That's why she has credibility here, and you do not.

Virtually every source out there says the same thing she (& her vid) says about how to prime Crown coils for longevity.
That includes the manufacturer.

You need to stop giving others advice until you figure out what you're talking about.
No... I actually didn't give advice or tell people what they should or should not do. I shared my experience and what I have done and how it works for me. Same as others in the thread.

Perhaps you should learn the difference. :rolleyes:

Thejkaz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the RBA on my kanger mini and flavors like coffee or cake that use creamy flavors get black and gunked up very quickly. I will go through less than a tank and have to re-wick and clean the coil as it gunk is already killing the flavor. I run a DIY watermelon (sweet) for a week and the coil still looks and tastes like new. Maybe you should look at getting the RBA for the crown then you will be able to see what is going on with your coils based on the flavors you prefer.

The coils with the tank worked great, bought replacement 0.5 coils and even following the video on priming by Daryl and letting it sit for 12 hours...burnt 12 coils in 2 weeks...told the shop about it and to prove a point..bought another tank and the original coils lasted 10 days...I believe that as demand soared Uwell QC went south..now running their RBA's.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I let my tank sit around 1 hour I know overkill LOL but it literally solved any problems ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coils with the tank worked great, bought replacement 0.5 coils and even following the video on priming by Daryl and letting it sit for 12 hours...burnt 12 coils in 2 weeks...told the shop about it and to prove a point..bought another tank and the original coils lasted 10 days...I believe that as demand soared Uwell QC went south..now running their RBA's.

How are you liking the RBA? I'm using it in my Crown again today. It's tricky to wick. My last build needed a touch-up on the cotton to get it to wick well without leaking. I used UD Clapton wire and KGD cotton. It's a nice vape.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How are you liking the RBA? I'm using it in my Crown again today. It's tricky to wick. My last build needed a touch-up on the cotton to get it to wick well without leaking. I used UD Clapton wire and KGD cotton. It's a nice vape.

Are you able to top fill it without leaking?

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you able to top fill it without leaking?

It's way riskier to top fill with the RBA. Sometimes it's ok but it usually leaks. I did top fill earlier today and it leaked a few drops. If you get the cotton just right it's ok. I don't like dumping juice so I try to remember to bottom fill with the RBA. The tricky part is that the RBA should only use a small amount of cotton. Too much and you get dry hits. But if the feed holes aren't covered perfectly it leaks.

The normal heads can also be rebuilt. The stock coils are 4.5mm. I used a 4.5mm drill bit to rebuild 2 heads yesterday with 26g 316L SS wire. The top lead must always go to the negative (outside) just like the prebuilt coil or it will short. I also tried using smaller diameter coils (3mm) but they sometimes gave dry hits and didn't have the same airflow.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Coming from Kanger... I got tired of messing with coils. The RBA, was better than OCC, but all the normal stuff... Very finicky wicking, flooding, burnt hits, spitting, popping. The OCC was only good for 15-20w.

What I have loved so much about the Crown is no messing around. No leaking, flooding, dry hits. It can certainly do what most are vaping at these days. I have the RBA, but so far have not saw the point of trying it. And hearing about finicky wicking and flooding, probably never will.

And the pre built have been pretty trouble free for me. I've used all that came with the new tanks, and a couple 0.5s I bought. I have some 0.25s coming. I squirt juice in, and go. It's not that complicated. Just has more cotton.

There can always be bad runs and bad batches or lots. And if that's the case, it's hard to pin point from the user end what went wrong. All I know is that if Crown coils "required" a super strict, complicated priming procedure for it to even work.. Well this sub forum would be over flowing with new Crown owners burning up every coil they get. I mean heck, people are still freaking out over the ohms reading moving around on their D2. :)

Right now, for a couple months, my Crowns have been very straightforward and hassle free. Definitely one of it's strengths, at least for me, besides it's performance.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had the Uwell Crown for almost 2 months now. I love it. I have been using the .5 coils. When I load a new coil I prime it, let it sit for about 5 minutes, I start vaping at about 30w and work my way up to 60w. The issue I am having is when I use an ejuice that is on the sweeter side, it seems to kiil the coil almost instantly. I only use 3mg nic juices. A few weeks ago I bought the Gush ejuice, 3mg, for the first time. Loaded my tank. Almost immediately starting getting horrible tasting hits. Thought the coil had went bad. Loaded a new coil. Lasted less than a day using the Gush juice. Few days ago I bought the Steam Factory Muffcake flavor, 3mg. Loaded in the tank, within hours starting getting horrible tasting hits. Loaded a new coil, loaded more Muffcake, same thing. Less than a day and the coil went bad. I have never had issues with the ANML Looper, any of the Suicide Bunny flavors, or any other flavors I have used, and yes I prefer the sweeter flavors. I know that the sweeter juices will cut down on coil life, but less than a day? Am I missing something or doing something wrong here?
Here's the video:

I don't know, but give it a try!
I followed all the advice and thought I had this sorted out. But with chocolate ju ce, an 0.5 I put in on Saturday was burnt last night, Sunday. There is a small black mark on the top of the cotton. I was only vaping at 55w at the time. On a side note, my Arctic 0.5 coils, kenthal not SS like Crown, burn if I take a longer drag, even at lower watts. I guess I can use the coils I have left, but I do like sweet juices. For now, using Herakles with 0.6 and Atlantis V2 with 0.3 when the Herk feels too warm. Neither taste as good as Crown, but the coils are lasting, regardless of juice or vaping method.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I followed all the advice and thought I had this sorted out. But with chocolate ju ce, an 0.5 I put in on Saturday was burnt last night, Sunday. There is a small black mark on the top of the cotton. I was only vaping at 55w at the time. On a side note, my Arctic 0.5 coils, kenthal not SS like Crown, burn if I take a longer drag, even at lower watts. I guess I can use the coils I have left, but I do like sweet juices. For now, using Herakles with 0.6 and Atlantis V2 with 0.3 when the Herk feels too warm. Neither taste as good as Crown, but the coils are lasting, regardless of juice or vaping method.
Chocolate burns at high temps - and 55w is too high for chocolate (at least any chocolate I've made)!

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my Crown the same day as the OP came out, 10/28.

I didn't see this post until the next day, but successfully broke in a .5 coil using about the same technique as I have been using to break in Kanger OCC coils. There are some differences though:

The Kanger OCCs take about 4 drops or so in the juice holes and one in the center to prime. 5 seconds and you can slap the coil in and go to the mod and slowly add power. The Crown took about 1/2ml or more to prime. I added drops of juice to the holes around in a circle, then added juice to the top of the wick, went back to the holes (which were practically dry) and added another drop, added more around the top, and so on until the wick was saturated, but not dripping or soaked. No juice in the coil either as per the instructions that came with it.

Second difference:

I start Kanger's OCCs at about 11w and go slowly up 1w at a time until I get somewhere between 20w and 30w. That's usually a decent vape in that range, but I usually end up vaping the OCCs between 35w and 45w after a few hours or the first refill.

The Crown I started at 15w and got absolutely nothing out of. I might as well have dry-hit the thing without firing up until the upper 20s to lower 30s when I started getting faint whispers of a cloud; think a 1-2 second ego hit with no flavor. I still went up 1-2w at a time and didn't fire for longer than 3 seconds at a time. We were watching a movie at the time so I slowly went up. 1-2 hits every 5-10 minutes raising the wattage 1-2 watts every time. By the time the movie was over I was at around 45-48 watts and getting decent cloud and flavor. When I pushed over 50 that's when it woke up and started to shine.

The first whole Crown tank tasted good, but was a bit wonky. The second tank was when the light bulb went on and Jesus came and touched me. I pushed the power up between 60-70w and there it was.

I have been vaping between 55-60 the most though. Same great flavor and slightly cooler, but still warm vape.

I realize though that some juices are just coil killers. I haven't had any issues vaping VV cinnamon roll between 55-70w though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I actually put the bottle tip in the holes and squeeze juice in. I keep going till it won't take anymore. Juice flows out of hole. Go around each hole. Wait a second to see if it will soak up. Usually does once or twice, then it won't take anymore. Done. Takes about a minute. I know what the video says, but I know it's done when it won't soak up anymore.

And when I say I lower watts... I'm talking like 10w. Normal is 65w, drop it to 55w. Just because new clean coils don't need full power. Spits and pops a bit till it gets a little dirty.

This is all with general fruit juice. I don't do baked goods or dairy stuff.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you adding your own DIY sweetener to your juice? Some home brew sweeteners can cause this issue.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The normal heads can also be rebuilt. The stock coils are 4.5mm. I used a 4.5mm drill bit to rebuild 2 heads yesterday with 26g 316L SS wire. The top lead must always go to the negative (outside) just like the prebuilt coil or it will short. I also tried using smaller diameter coils (3mm) but they sometimes gave dry hits and didn't have the same airflow.

Hey, could you clarify what you mean by the bolded part? Do you simply mean outside of the cotton, or are you talking about the legs sticking out the bottom, and which one goes above and below the grommet? Thanks!

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Are you adding your own DIY sweetener to your juice? Some home brew sweeteners can cause this issue.
I do not add sweeteners but I can not deal with the fruits, berries, cereals, and custards that are so popular now. So I gravitate towards chocolate, peach as the only fruit, or the occasional menthol. As for tobacco flavors, most are low VG and leave an aftertaste. Open to suggestions though.

As a new vaper without DIY experience, I did manage to do an autopsy on the coil tonight. The cotton deep inside the casing was badly scorched along the outsides near the wicking holes.

I really have doubts if vaping can work for me, if the only flavors I like will kill the experience. Not to mention some coughing.

I considered the natural extract tobacco until I saw it was 50 pct PG.

My mind wants to vape, but as it stands now, my body has other ideas, and I have invested plenty in the past few months.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you don't like fruit, that's tough. I'm not very picky, so fruit is easy for me. Dairy is gross to me in real life, so that's out. And I love apple pie and doughnuts.... But I'd rather eat the real thing. :)

I'm not all about syrup sweet fruit either... Some I have really liked is citrus... Lime, Mandarin, lemonade. Light. Pineapple. Lighter tart stuff is a nice change. I don't know, give it a shot.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape for the nicotine hit.. Hell, if flavors were giving me problems I'd vape 100% VG with no flavor and 5mgs of nic and be just fine...However, two of my current flavors in the Crown are Lakeside CheeseCake and Toucan Killer..both are custom juices from my local shop...I like the clean taste of the .25 stainless/Japanese cotton coils in my Crown...all I'm really after is the nic hit anyway...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I vape for the nicotine hit.. Hell, if flavors were giving me problems I'd vape 100% VG with no flavor and 5mgs of nic and be just fine...However, two of my current flavors in the Crown are Lakeside CheeseCake and Toucan Killer..both are custom juices from my local shop...I like the clean taste of the .25 stainless/Japanese cotton coils in my Crown...all I'm really after is the nic hit anyway...

Word. You and me both.

Pax

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I got my new Crown a few days ago, I started with the .25 coil. I generally followed the approach of soaking the coil by hitting the holes with a drop and then applied the juice in a circular fashion until I could see that the holes were juice saturated. I filled the tank and let it sit for 5 minutes. Started at 40 watts with Charlie Nobles Tripoli and had no issue. Increased the wattage to 60 and I was set. I observed that it used much more juice initially based on usage with other tanks but that seems to have leveled off. I also realized that when your tank gives you that slightly dry hit it is time to add juice. The coils on the Kanger have a few hits left even when you think you are out??? Love this tank and looking forward to trying the TC coils. Great flavor as advertised, easy filling and no leaks.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, could you clarify what you mean by the bolded part? Do you simply mean outside of the cotton, or are you talking about the legs sticking out the bottom, and which one goes above and below the grommet? Thanks!
Sure thing. The lead that comes out of the top of the coil, the long one that goes over the cotton, should be the negative lead. It's the one that you trap between the body of the coil head and the black insulator.

The lead that comes out of the bottom of the coil is the positive. It goes to the center-pin of the coil head.

If you put the leads the other way around it can short out pretty easily.

mine had the same problem, tried priming it according to Daryls video, primed it by letting the coil soak on juice until it didn't soak anymore and also through dropping juice from the top method. started it off at 15W and gradually over an hour moving up to 45W, same black burnt mark at the top of all 12 coils. as was pointed out early could be a bad batch of coils..have 2 boxes of 0.5 on order from fasttech..lets hope I don't get any more duds

for RBA top filling doesn't seem to be an option as 8 out of 10 times it will leak. you'll notice that the tank has a vacuum effect when you tighten it and this causes the leak. the only success that I've had with top filling is to turn the tank upside down once I'm sure that it's tight enough To flip over and tighten it while upside down with the airflow open as this releases the air from the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure thing. The lead that comes out of the top of the coil, the long one that goes over the cotton, should be the negative lead. It's the one that you trap between the body of the coil head and the black insulator.

The lead that comes out of the bottom of the coil is the positive. It goes to the center-pin of the coil head.

If you put the leads the other way around it can short out pretty easily.

Thanks! Good to know, I'll have to check the included ni200 coil I rebuilt with kanthal. lol

Raistlin908

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm having the same problem with my crown, coils are burning up fast, I prime the coils like you guys but the coils keep burning up in like 1 or 2 days. My Atlantis coils are lasting way longer with the same juices, and I thought the crown coils were supposed to last much longer.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is everyone having the problems with coils from packs they'be bought? I haven't tried any of mine yet, just the .25 and .5 coils that came with the tank. No special priming steps, just common sense wetting the cotton well, then ramping up 5 watts at a time. Used each one about two weeks, then ran it through my hypersonic cleaner. Cotton still looks pearly white, and am using the .5 again atm the moment. Working perfectly. I'll have to see what happens with the coils in the pack I bought, but so far the included coils are better than I could have imagined.

Raistlin908

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered a pack of the .25 and .5, waiting on them. The coils that came with the tank burnt up quick for me. I've been hearing that it's a bad batch of coils from other forums but who knows. I love the performance of the tank, I would like to get at least 1 week out of a coil. I'm just a little disappointed at the life especially when I'm getting like 2 weeks with my atlantis v2 coils

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had one of my crown coils burn up. I ordered my replacement coils from Premium Vapes..I run the .25 on the IPV4's at 65-70w and getting about 2 weeks out of them.. I started running the .5 on the IPVD2 at 50-55w yesterday so I'm not sure yet when it needs replaced.. really love my crown tanks or I wouldn't own three of them, lol
062e6d4f7b9cc3ee1b6c0cfa103dc73f.jpg

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered a pack of the .25 and .5, waiting on them. The coils that came with the tank burnt up quick for me. I've been hearing that it's a bad batch of coils from other forums but who knows. I love the performance of the tank, I would like to get at least 1 week out of a coil. I'm just a little disappointed at the life especially when I'm getting like 2 weeks with my atlantis v2 coils

I've had the Crown tank for a couple of months and I also find that the coils burn out quicker than other coils. I can get a lot of use out of each head but only if I rewick or rebuild them. If you don't like to rewick or rebuild heads then Atlantis coil tanks or the Crown nickel heads may be the better option for you.

Honestly, I think it might be the stainless steel wire. It heats up super fast and gets hot enough to break down the cotton. The cotton on all of the 0.25 & 0.5 ohm stainless steel heads is burned away where it touches the coil. It happens no matter how well the heads are primed, even at low wattage. I think stainless steel coils will need temperature control mods for the coils to last as long as kanthal heads. I could be completely wrong. It's just a suspicion.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had the Crown tank for a couple of months and I also find that the coils burn out quicker than other coils. I can get a lot of use out of each head but only if I rewick or rebuild them. If you don't like to rewick or rebuild heads then Atlantis coil tanks or the Crown nickel heads may be the better option for you.

Honestly, I think it might be the stainless steel wire. It heats up super fast and gets hot enough to break down the cotton. The cotton on all of the 0.25 & 0.5 ohm stainless steel heads is burned away where it touches the coil. It happens no matter how well the heads are primed, even at low wattage. I think stainless steel coils will need temperature control mods for the coils to last as long as kanthal heads. I could be completely wrong. It's just a suspicion.
Ya... that's my problem now...

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/temp-control-on-crown-ss-coils.153413/

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Never heard of ppl using non Uwell coils in a Crown, but is it possible some others could fit and vape well in this otherwise nice tank? Thanks......

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am getting so frustrated with this thing. I prime it. Start at low wattage and work my way up. Granted, I use the sweeter juices, which I know will shorten coil life, but this is ridiculous. I loaded a new coil Monday or Tuesday, it just went out on me. Took it out. Small black spot on top of the cotton. Looking down into it, one side of the wire looked fine, the other was black as night. Now that I think about it, I wonder if its the angle that I hold it when I am taking pulls? Regardless, received new coils in the mail today just primed one and letting it sit. If this continues with the Crown, I've got a brand new Herakles with a box of coils sitting on my dresser that I will try.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am getting so frustrated with this thing. I prime it. Start at low wattage and work my way up. Granted, I use the sweeter juices, which I know will shorten coil life, but this is ridiculous. I loaded a new coil Monday or Tuesday, it just went out on me. Took it out. Small black spot on top of the cotton. Looking down into it, one side of the wire looked fine, the other was black as night. Now that I think about it, I wonder if its the angle that I hold it when I am taking pulls? Regardless, received new coils in the mail today just primed one and letting it sit. If this continues with the Crown, I've got a brand new Herakles with a box of coils sitting on my dresser that I will try.
Sorry to hear your having troubles but I threw my Hercules in the garbage when I got my crown tanks. (3) I don't vape sweet or dark colored juice, in fact all my juice is gin clear. I'm getting about two and a half weeks on the .25 at 65-70 watts...just sayin

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The taste thing is a common complaint these days. As far as premature death, only isolated incidents.

Many belive they need a rigorous priming procedure. I myself don't do anything special. Prime it and go. One thing that is not in dispute is that these coils have a lot of dense cotton. So whether you take 30 minutes or 1, you do need to make sure it is thoroughly soaked.

I myself had only had one coil burn a hit and it was pretty new. The cotton was burned evenly by the whole coil. But I am also using the SS in temp control and just learned there are a few hiccups running TC on these coils. Don't know if you are.

Other than that, my coils have lasted a long time. Like 3 weeks. And I only replaced them for the heck of it. They were not toast. New ones had a little better flavor, but the old one did not HAVE to be replaced. Hope that helps.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, here are the two theories I have come up with.

1. Bad coils.

2. The angle that I am holding the mod. When I am driving or at work I hold it pretty straight up. But in the evenings, I kick back in my recliner and vape away. I am thinking that holding it at such a drastic angle in the evenings being laid back and using it so much, that the "bottom side" of the coil is getting juice and the "top side" is not, hence the uneven blackening of one side of the coil/cotton and the short coil life. I've got some pics of my tank a little more than half full. I can only imagine what goes on when I am using the tank laid back with less than half of a tank of juice. Sorry for the huge pics, I have no idea how to resize.

Straight up
download

Tilted
download

VU Sponsors