Become a Patron!

Uwell Crown coil problems?

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unless u leave it tilted 24/7 it's unlikely that side of the cotton would dry up

The coil I replaced today was 3 days old. The only juice I used with it was a semi sweet almost clear liquid. I wish I would have kept the coil and took a pic but I chunked it. The coil and cotton was black on one side in a "V" shape, small from the inside bottom to big on the top. Other side of coil and cotton looked brand new. I do hold it at a slight angle when driving or at work, but I hold it at a much more drastic angle in the evenings, almost straight across.

ironman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He cotton will soak up the juice no matter what angle. It's a wick. Try dipping the tip of cotton strip in a cup of water. It will get saturated. Most probably a dud coil. I've had 1 or 2 from uwell

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He cotton will soak up the juice no matter what angle. It's a wick. Try dipping the tip of cotton strip in a cup of water. It will get saturated. Most probably a dud coil. I've had 1 or 2 from uwell

I've had coils last anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks so far with no consistencty. I ordered 8 boxes of .5 coils and received them today. I was comparing them to my old boxes/coils. Only difference I see is that "Uwell" is imprinted on the boxes I received today, the old boxes I have do not have that. But that could be something Uwell changed at some point.

Raistlin908

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Never heard of ppl using non Uwell coils in a Crown, but is it possible some others could fit and vape well in this otherwise nice tank? Thanks......

I just meant that my atlantis v2 was lasting longer with it's coils, never tried to put the aspire coils in the crown. I was just trying to say that the crowns supposed to be better overall and I'm getting longer life out of an 'outdated' tank and coil, sorry for the confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pax

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have had my Crown now for 1 week and having no issues with the tank or .25 coil. It is a great tank and vape. I use mostly Charlie Nobles juice and most have a sweet component to them. I will be curious how long this coil lasts. I am actually looking forward to purchasing some NI coils for the tank and seeing how they do. The last comment I would make is that I had a bad set of coils for my Kanger subtank and I can empathize that when you are looking for the setup to deliver and it does not, for whatever reason, it is extremely frustrating.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless u leave it tilted 24/7 it's unlikely that side of the cotton would dry up

Agreed. Those coils hold quite a bit of juice considering how densly the cotton is packed in them. I have been seeing so many post complaining about crown coils I'm lead to believe one of two things..

1) There is a big batch of bad coils out there.

2) Everyone one and their mothers have one so its looking like more problems than there actually are.

I had one for a few days and my only problem was that it worked too well. Sold it and got something more my speed.

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I saw a post that a user had early death of coils. He spoke with Uwell and they said they knew they had a connection problem but it has been resolved. They sent him a new base, RBA and some coils. No other info on when it was resolved or how much inventory.

Leads me to believe they know about the taste problems. I would like to think they are fixing it. I PMed their Facebook page, but have not received a reply. I'll let you know.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw a post that a user had early death of coils. He spoke with Uwell and they said they knew they had a connection problem but it has been resolved. They sent him a new base, RBA and some coils. No other info on when it was resolved or how much inventory.

Leads me to believe they know about the taste problems. I would like to think they are fixing it. I PMed their Facebook page, but have not received a reply. I'll let you know.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading the same thing. Hopefully they can sort it out.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

So it's a manufacturing issue that Uwell has acknowledged. That's good information. It sounds like the issue might have something to do with the base and not just the coils. Please keep us updated if you learn any more about it.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
personally i think the crown coils are just poorly QC'd
i ve used about
1 -.25
2 ni200
5 .5s
1 1.2

the .25 had a bad taste for a yank then was fine used it for a few days and set it aside to try the other coils
the first ni200 would not hit dry coil soon enough and the cotton burned
the second one is much much better but still does not hit dry coil soon enough
the 1.2 was horrible it was super airy and tasted like burned rubber - i gave up after 3/4 of a tank it tasted so bad
the .5 have been hit or miss - 2 were perfect no bad taste or nothing - 1 died cuz my mod kept firing in my pocket and drained the tank and burned the cotton - This happened after using that coil for about 3 weeks. 1 of the perfect ones is sitting here and used for about a week - only changed it to try a ni200 coil
the other 3 had nasty tastes for at least a tank - 1 tasted burnt after a few days 1 died after a week it just had such a lack of flavor - the other had the cotton burn with 1/2 a tank of juice in the tank

i use primarily a sweet juice that is peach,mango,vanilla,and cream

So my results with the crown coils are ALL over the place and it is the main reason I am dissatisfied with the tank. It does have the best taste between my Kanger STM and magnaus....but only marginally better then the maganus. The top fill is awesome.

But there is something with the coil that drive me insane

I prime my coils by soaking the cotton up with almost 1/2ml of juice, fill the tank, close afc and take some dry pulls, then drop wattage and build the wattage back up. Which is basically what everyone suggests. SO I do not find that priming fixes anything, it is only required to get the coil to work well period, but that is true of all tanks. This coil just happens to hold more juice then probably and other tank so it seems like a bigger PITA then other tanks

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think the base issue was being caused by some with short positive pins that were not making solid contact with the coils all the time. Not sure it had anything to do with coil longevity or taste. And there are different replacement coils on the market, some are not necessarily made by Uwell. I don't have any of the aftermarket coils to compare to the original or know what type of wire they use but going off the picture about the only difference I can make out is they don't have the Uwell logo on them where the Authentic ones do. https://www.fasttech.com/search?keywords=uwell

upload_2015-11-6_16-49-25.png

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
fyi
uwell states on thrir website they do not sell to china or hong kong, so buying any coils form fasttech is a gamble and even if they say authentic, they not be

and i have bought 4 packs form the USA that are authentic for 6.40 so 997 seems expensive with the wait time

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of the things I found attractive about the crown tank was the fairly inexpensive and what I assumed was a well made coil. I guess I didn't give mine enough time to see how well made and durable they actually were.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One of the things I found attractive about the crown tank was the fairly inexpensive and what I assumed was a well made coil. I guess I didn't give mine enough time to see how well made and durable they actually were.
Easy to focus on the negative. At first there were zero problems. Sort of unheard of. Well now some have surfaced. Seems QC needs some attention. But they will get worked out. I have 2 tanks. They are not going anywhere. And I'm not searching for another. The tank is an absolute home run. All my coils except one has worked and lasted plenty long. Get the taste thing fixed and they will be a home run too. This industry moves too fast. And companies are very responsive to problems. By the next time I have to buy coils, it will be fixed. I have 16. Should last me a few months.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Powerman. Also, the heads are not that troublesome to rebuild with your own wire and cotton. I'm vaping on a rebuilt .95 ohm 26 gauge 316 SS coil with normal KGD cotton right now. It's working fairly well in temp mode and tastes at least as good as the stock heads. It might be better to use 24 gauge wire to get a lower resistance (for temp control) but I'll have to try it to be sure. One of the heads that I rebuilt at the same time as this one came out to 1.05 ohm, which is just a bit too high for TC. Still perfectly fine for normal vaping.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get all intense with it. We have a machine shop. The TFV4 I got is a huge POS. 30.00 gone. It is under machined so it leaks. Not worth fuckin' with.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree with Powerman. Also, the heads are not that troublesome to rebuild with your own wire and cotton. I'm vaping on a rebuilt .95 ohm 26 gauge 316 SS coil with normal KGD cotton right now. It's working fairly well in temp mode and tastes at least as good as the stock heads. It might be better to use 24 gauge wire to get a lower resistance (for temp control) but I'll have to try it to be sure. One of the heads that I rebuilt at the same time as this one came out to 1.05 ohm, which is just a bit too high for TC. Still perfectly fine for normal vaping.
I have the RBA, but pretty much a standard RBA. Horizontal build. Some suggested putting cotton on perimeter to prevent flooding then wick to that. But I don't have any patience for finicky wicking. It shouldn't be that difficult.

But the standard coils have that partition with cotton. That's kinda nice if treated as a RBA. I could probably come up with something usable. SS lasts longer anyway. Might not be that big of a deal.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@CorallineAlgae you seem to b every good at rebuilding the crown/maganus style DVC coils

Is there any chance you could post a video tutorial of you doing it
I don't have the camera or other equipment to do that. I honestly wouldn't know how to begin to make a video. I'm pretty sure there was a video on youtube where somebody showed how to rewick one of the heads. Rebuilding only requires one added step.. making the coil, which requires a 4.5mm rod. I lucked out and happened to have a 4.5mm drill bit. If you try to use a smaller diameter coil it gives dry hits and reduces the airflow.

Lead placement important. The one that comes out of the top of the coil and goes over the cotton wick needs to be the negative (attached to the outside of the insulator). The lead that comes out of the bottom of the coil needs to be attached to the little pin in the bottom of the head. I know that might sound confusing. It's the way they come from the factory. If the connections are reversed it can short. Carefully take apart an old head and keep the coil in good shape to use it as a guide. It's only tricky the first time or two. After that you'll have it down. The heads are meant to be thrown away so you might as well have fun dissecting them if you already like to rebuild. ^_^

I have the RBA, but pretty much a standard RBA. Horizontal build. Some suggested putting cotton on perimeter to prevent flooding then wick to that. But I don't have any patience for finicky wicking. It shouldn't be that difficult.

But the standard coils have that partition with cotton. That's kinda nice if treated as a RBA. I could probably come up with something usable. SS lasts longer anyway. Might not be that big of a deal.

Wow, that's a new one. I also build the RBA with a horizontal coil but never tried wicking it like that. It might be worth a shot. Thanks for posting about it.

With the normal heads, I never remove that thin sheet of cotton that covers the feed holes. Once you remove the old coil and the cotton around it just rinse the head under running water and wipe it dry. The outer cotton that covers the feed holes never gets dirty and it's crazy hard to replace it unless you have a pack of those thin compressed cotton sheets. It rinses completely clean. I have a couple heads that I've reused 3-4 times and the outer cotton still looks like new.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I don't know your cotton, but when I was doing STM RBA, local guru tried showing me how to wick. He would strip the outer layer of cotton off. Said it was too tight and you wanted the fluffy stuff inside.

Anyway, after reading about doing the cotton on the outside, and seeing how tight the cotton is in the Crown heads, it seemed like a good match. Peel off the outer layer and run that on the inside of the RBA walls to cover the holes, then use the fluffy inside to wick the coil to that. Maybe try that.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya, I don't know your cotton, but when I was doing STM RBA, local guru tried showing me how to wick. He would strip the outer layer of cotton off. Said it was too tight and you wanted the fluffy stuff inside.

Anyway, after reading about doing the cotton on the outside, and seeing how tight the cotton is in the Crown heads, it seemed like a good match. Peel off the outer layer and run that on the inside of the RBA walls to cover the holes, then use the fluffy inside to wick the coil to that. Maybe try that.

You're 100% right on the money. That's exactly how I do it.
xyxthumbs_zps9f993428_1.jpg_zpsznc2jxhp.gif

The cotton I was referring to earlier is different. The coil heads have cotton that wraps around the coil. That gets replaced when re-wicking or rebuilding exactly the way you said. There's another piece of cotton that doesn't wrap around the coil. It's built into the head and covers up the feed holes. That's the cotton that I leave alone. I never touch it. You can use it again and again. It only needs to be rinsed out while still in place.

Edit ti add: You can kind of see it HERE.

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I took one of mine apart. I remember you talking about strips, but mine were little squares. But ya, I just kept pulling them out. I was a little surprised how many layers there were. I was thinking you could probably use one of the outer ones for the coil, but maybe that's a little to tight for three RBA.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't see how to get the coil out without destroying it. I did try pulling out some cotton from the top, but the coil was so used up and the cotton so compacted I had no success (even with very sharp tipped tweezers). Any tips?

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had to hook it out with the point of my knife. Outside in. But little sheets/squares would come out. Once you get one out it gets easier. But I didn't destroy the coil. Once I got a couple squares out from each side the coil pushed out.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had to hook it out with the point of my knife. Outside in. But little sheets/squares would come out. Once you get one out it gets easier. But I didn't destroy the coil. Once I got a couple squares out from each side the coil pushed out.
I'll have to try again - I gave up in disgust LOL These tweezers are really sharp, so I was surprised I couldn't make any headway with those.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't see how to get the coil out without destroying it. I did try pulling out some cotton from the top, but the coil was so used up and the cotton so compacted I had no success (even with very sharp tipped tweezers). Any tips?

I also completely failed with two different sets of sharp tip tweezers. >_<' Normal tweezers (not the kind usually used for vaping) worked much much better. The sharp ones, for whatever reason, just could not pull the cotton sheets out of the head. It's easiest to start pulling them from the side of the coil that doesn't have the wire folded over it and aim to pull one or two pieces out at a time. The good news is, after you rebuild the head with normal cotton it comes out MUCH easier. I can usually remove the coil and cotton all together with a re-wicked coil.

Keep a couple of pieces of the cotton to help you measure how wide a strip you need to cut off of the pad. It doesn't have to be exact.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also completely failed with two different sets of sharp tip tweezers. >_<' Normal tweezers (not the kind usually used for vaping) worked much much better. The sharp ones, for whatever reason, just could not pull the cotton sheets out of the head. It's easiest to start pulling them from the side of the coil that doesn't have the wire folded over it and aim to pull one or two pieces out at a time. The good news is, after you rebuild the head with normal cotton it comes out MUCH easier. I can usually remove the coil and cotton all together with a re-wicked coil.

Keep a couple of pieces of the cotton to help you measure how wide a strip you need to cut off of the pad. It doesn't have to be exact.
That did it - thanks! Easy with the right tweezers LOL I used an old washed and dried coil that wasn't as stuck together.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That did it - thanks! Easy with the right tweezers LOL I used an old washed and dried coil that wasn't as stuck together.

Woohoo! \(◠ヮ◠)/ Sooooo happy to hear it worked. I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who absolutely could NOT get the cotton out with pointy tweezers. I'm just so used to doing all my vaping tasks with the pointy little things. I know how frustrating it can be. Trust me, once you have a few tricks down it will be a piece of cake. Figuring it all out for the first time is the only challenge. I can rebuild the heads easier than the RBA now. That probably sounds like an exaggeration but it's true. The heads have a lot of little details to them (like the little spots on the black insulator that fit into the notches at the bottom of the head) but once you learn about all the different parts it's a breeze.

Congrats on the victory to you and Powerman! ( ^‿^)o自自o(^‿^ ) cheers

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you want to do a really neat job on a rebuild you can separate the inner and outer shields, wrap the inner shield with the dense outside layer of Japanese cotton then slide it inside the outer shield. They're pressed together and takes a little work to get them apart but a 8mm or so diameter pin will slide through the top but not the bottom so you can tap / press it apart that way. Easy to choose either horizontal or vertical coils once apart. Make sure you line up your holes & groves when putting it back together else the wicking holes will be blocked.

upload_2015-11-8_1-31-53.png

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been using the same coil for 3 days now. Same juice, ANML Looper 3mg at 60W. I can already tell the flavor is starting get flat and has a bit of a burnt taste. Just loaded up my Herkales that I've had for awhile now but never used with a .6 coil. Loaded it with the Muffcake 3mg that killed 2 of my Crown coils almost instantly. Other than not having the top fill, I'm not hating it. Got it up to 45W as of now with no issues as of yet. Depending on coil life/flavor with the Herkales I may be switching to the Herkales permanently from the Crown which kind of sucks because I just received the 8 boxes of .5 coils for the Crown that I ordered.

ironman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using the same coil for 3 days now. Same juice, ANML Looper 3mg at 60W. I can already tell the flavor is starting get flat and has a bit of a burnt taste. Just loaded up my Herkales that I've had for awhile now but never used with a .6 coil. Loaded it with the Muffcake 3mg that killed 2 of my Crown coils almost instantly. Other than not having the top fill, I'm not hating it. Got it up to 45W as of now with no issues as of yet. Depending on coil life/flavor with the Herkales I may be switching to the Herkales permanently from the Crown which kind of sucks because I just received the 8 boxes of .5 coils for the Crown that I ordered.
Send them to me.. I'll take care of them

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I was alternating tanks this week between the Crown with the .5 and the Herakles with the .6. Used the same wattage for both, 60-65w. The .5 on the Crown crapped out after about 6 days. Loaded a .25 coil in the Crown last night will see how it goes. Also went and bought a Smok TFV4 yesterday. Will rotate the Crown, Herakles, and TFV4 and just try to find which tank with which coil works best for me.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm using the Ni200 coils on my Crown and I love them. I'm still on the first coil and its been about 2 weeks with no change in flavor.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's the video:

I don't know, but give it a try!

Thank you for posting this. I had a .25 coil go out on me yesterday after 5-6 days. I loaded another coil last night and used this video. Something else clicked in my head this morning though. I just realized when I am vaping. I'm not actually "pulling" on the drip tip, rather I have been letting the coil do the work and "push" into my mouth. I think this could be a major part of my problem. Thank you again for posting the video.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for posting this. I had a .25 coil go out on me yesterday after 5-6 days. I loaded another coil last night and used this video. Something else clicked in my head this morning though. I just realized when I am vaping. I'm not actually "pulling" on the drip tip, rather I have been letting the coil do the work and "push" into my mouth. I think this could be a major part of my problem. Thank you again for posting the video.

Well so much for that. Got up to 80 watts an hour ago and the burnt nasty hits started repeatedly. I followed the video to the letter. Using my Smok TFV4 now with the triple coil at 100w with no issues.

The .25 are definately the flavor coils atleast for me..But the useage life is really short 2-3 days tops, I've tried every priming method i've found including the link in the video..All with same results, just glad I'm not alone with this!

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The .25 are definately the flavor coils atleast for me..But the useage life is really short 2-3 days tops, I've tried every priming method i've found including the link in the video..All with same results, just glad I'm not alone with this!

I contacted Uwell service about the issue I was having. They emailed me back and told me there was a bad batch of coils that was produced and distributed. They told me to send them any coils I still had and they would replace them. I shipped them 31 new coils. Last week they shipped me 8 new coils and a new tank.

I contacted Uwell service about the issue I was having. They emailed me back and told me there was a bad batch of coils that was produced and distributed. They told me to send them any coils I still had and they would replace them. I shipped them 31 new coils. Last week they shipped me 8 new coils and a new tank.

Have the new coils been any better for you??

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've heard there are fake crown coils out there... that said my coils must be genuine because I'm getting 3 weeks to a month out of the .25...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've heard there are fake crown coils out there... that said my coils must be genuine because I'm getting 3 weeks to a month out of the .25...

Haven't heard of fake Crowns yet. I know there are fake Kanger coils. I also know Crown did have a bad batch and from what I've seen so far they have been doing right by their customers. This is the 3rd person I heard of that got a tank out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I recently got a new crown tank and my .25 coil lasted about three days before I started getting burned hits. I was running it on a Snow Wolf Mini at 65 degrees. I have not tried the .5 coil yet.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I recently got a new crown tank and my .25 coil lasted about three days before I started getting burned hits. I was running it on a Snow Wolf Mini at 65 degrees. I have not tried the .5 coil yet.
65 degrees?? Lol
I run mine at 60-65w just fine..I do take the time to really prime a new coil and start low breaking it in..Absolutely no burnt or dry hits at all..vaping two tanks on two mods in my daily rotation I think helps these coils last, not chain vaping the same coil...
7d4b23354ff08dd06c51a8d53691a3e6.jpg

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have the new coils been any better for you??

Honestly I just loaded a new one yesterday. While I was waiting to receive the new ones I was using my TFV4 daily. But I will post how the new ones work out.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a tank in exchange for 23 coils??? I'd be pissed. but thats me.

Honestly, I wasn't thrilled at first. But it did come with 3 coils and replacement glass. Then I started thinking, they didn't have to respond to my email, or could have told me I was on my own as far as being stuck with bad coils.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
65 degrees?? Lol
I run mine at 60-65w just fine..I do take the time to really prime a new coil and start low breaking it in..Absolutely no burnt or dry hits at all..vaping two tanks on two mods in my daily rotation I think helps these coils last, not chain vaping the same coil...

I chain-vape my .25 Crown on 55-60w power and 360f with cinnamon roll juice and have gotten a solid 3-4 weeks on a coil.

By the time I change my coils the wicks are brown, but they're not burnt. I've also never gotten a dry hit from my Crown with any coil.

I used to get weird burnt hits from my Subtanks and my Starre, but I figured out that the coils were loosening up and the resistance was reading all over the place. I now check the coils to make sure they're tight and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I chain-vape my .25 Crown on 55-60w power and 360f with cinnamon roll juice and have gotten a solid 3-4 weeks on a coil.

By the time I change my coils the wicks are brown, but they're not burnt. I've also never gotten a dry hit from my Crown with any coil.

I used to get weird burnt hits from my Subtanks and my Starre, but I figured out that the coils were loosening up and the resistance was reading all over the place. I now check the coils to make sure they're tight and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Same here

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
65 degrees?? Lol

Sorry... Watts. I've been doing a lot of TC lately

VU Sponsors