Become a Patron!

Uwell Crown Questions

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone! I just have two questions regarding the Uwell Crown coils and RBA Head.

1. Are the 0.25ohm and 0.5ohm dual coil heads capable of temp control or is temp control only possible with the NI200 coil?

2. Is the RBA head with the pre-installed ss coil also capable of temp control?

I find it a bit confusing since the manual states the NI200 as its temp control coil but I do see an SS316 setting on my Cuboid. And the package of both the Crown and its RBA head states that the coils included are SS coils... Any Crown users out there who can shed light on this?

bobdole462

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do know that the 0.5ohm coils do work in TC SS mode on the RX200. I am not sure about the Cuboid though or the 0.25ohm coil for that matter as I havn't used it yet.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The .25 SS coils work in the standard SS temp mode on my mods. Evic mini and Koopor Plus. And taste way better than the .15 Ni200 coil. As for the RBA head, I don't know but I imagine the SS coil on it works in tc also.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm using both 0.25 & 0.5 Ohm replacement coils in TC for SS on all my mods the VTC Mini, Reuleaux RX200, and Reuleaux DNA200. Works like a charm.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All SS coils can work in both TC and Power modes, no matter what they are installed in (Tanks/RBA/RDA/etc), though you may need to adjust the TCR values for different types of SS (SS 304/316/317,etc) in TC mode.

The Crowns 0.25 & 0.5 coils are SS316L and work in TC. The RBA head comes with SS pre-installed, and 2 extra SS coils that all work in TC.

The Ni200 coil can only be used in "TC Ni" mode (and has inferior flavor/vapor production).

The Cuboid has support for all TC modes (Ni/Ti/SS) and the SS mode should be defaulted to SS316L, so you won't need to adjust any TCR values. If you don't have the SS mode, you may need a Firmware Upgrade (V3.10 now available), which will give you SS mode, 3 user adjustable TCR modes, and "200W".

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The Crowns 0.25 & 0.5 coils are SS316 and work in TC. The RBA head comes with SS pre-installed, and 2 extra SS coils that all work in TC.
Actually, it's SS 316L.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I suppose you're right, although it doesn't change anything in relation to settings and functions. The 0.06% increase in its carbon composition doesn't affect it's TCR, the mod won't be able to tell the difference between the two, so serves no relation to change in flavor or vapor production. But it will improve it's corrosion resistance, so I guess that's a plus for coil lifespan :D.

SS316L has become the standard for pre-built SS coils, and I have yet to run into anything that uses just SS316 for its coils, so I have a tendency to forget it exists lol, so I always forget the L at the end (especially since no one actually says that when they speak either haha) I'll edit my previous post for information continuity sake ;)

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as OP's question about the manual not mentioning the SS heads as TC capable, that's how fast the state of the art is progressing - when the Crown came out Ni200 was the only wire most mods would work with in TC mode...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the clarification, everyone! Much appreciated! I I may ask though, what temp and wattage should I set the mod to in tc mode?

Now if I understand correctly, we set the mod at say, 350°F, and the wattage we set it to depends on how fast it gets to my set temp (350°F)?

I know it depends on our preference but I vape most my coils in power mode at 38-43w if that's any help in configuring my settings...

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the clarification, everyone! Much appreciated! I I may ask though, what temp and wattage should I set the mod to in tc mode?
Now if I understand correctly, we set the mod at say, 350°F, and the wattage we set it to depends on how fast it gets to my set temp (350°F)?
I know it depends on our preference but I vape most my coils in power mode at 38-43w if that's any help in configuring my settings...

I'm gonna give my tried and true settings for the Crown. No matter the coil (Ni200 .15 / SS .25 / SS .5) this seems to be the sweet spot for me

550f at 40W (maybe 35W for the Ni), won't be hot, but not too cool either, a nice happy medium for me, and flavor is stellar! I take nice 5-6sec hits, and it always just a hair under "Temp Protect" for me, which is perfect (my particular vaping style, no PWM wavy bullshit for me lol). It's all subjective, I know that better than most, but give it a shot and let me/us know what you think

P.S. - I have yet to tinker with my RBA section, so that's why I haven't given any input on it yet

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...Now if I understand correctly, we set the mod at say, 350°F, and the wattage we set it to depends on how fast it gets to my set temp (350°F)?...
That is correct! If you hit temp protection too often/quick, you either increase the temperature setting, or lower the wattage.
I don't recommend any setting, due to the various liquids. Not all of them like it hot, some taste better when hot. Therefore, you'll have to play around with the settings, in order to find the sweet spot.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna give my tried and true settings for the Crown. No matter the coil (Ni200 .15 / SS .25 / SS .5) this seems to be the sweet spot for me

550f at 40W (maybe 35W for the Ni), won't be hot, but not too cool either, a nice happy medium for me, and flavor is stellar! I take nice 5-6sec hits, and it always just a hair under "Temp Protect" for me, which is perfect (my particular vaping style, no PWM wavy bullshit for me lol). It's all subjective, I know better than most, but give it a shot and let me/us know what you think

P.S. - I have yet to tinker with my RBA section, so that's why I haven't given any input on it yet
That seems like a great place to start since we have similar preferences as to vapor temp, thanks! I also like a medium vape Will try this out tom at work and see if how it works out for me. Thank you for your input!

I also haven't tried out my rba section as the .5ohm works perfectly for me so far. But I'll definitely slap it on when all my free coils die out on me. Keepimg my fingers crossed. Don't want that to happen soon!

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is correct! If you hit temp protection too often/quick, you either increase the temperature setting, or lower the wattage.
I don't recommend any setting, due to the various liquids. Not all of them like it hot, some taste better when hot. Therefore, you'll have to play around with the settings, in order to find the sweet spot.
I agree, some of my liquids like it hot and some taste awful when subjected to higher wattages.

It's nice that I get different notes of flavor with one kind of liquid and I've been quite happy playing around with that in wattage mode.

It's just this temp control thing, I want to see what the hype is all about

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@DED420

I found that the setting you gave is a good start. What worked out for me though was 500°F @ 40w since my draws aren't as long. I think I'm drawing at around 3secs tops.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
@HaileStorm I absolutely LOVE the Crown. I have some others that I like as well, but I always come back to the Crown. Right now my 3 favorite mods are all Wismec, the Cuboid, RX200 and VaporFlask Stout. My personal favorite vape (and personal is huge) is the .5 SS at about 50 watts and around 400-420 degrees. My juice is 70/30 VG/PG and that works well for me. My personal opinion of TC is you have to find what works for you as far as taste, temperature etc. But, the Crown on the Cuboid is a great set up in my opinion. Good luck!!!

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@HaileStorm I absolutely LOVE the Crown. I have some others that I like as well, but I always come back to the Crown. Right now my 3 favorite mods are all Wismec, the Cuboid, RX200 and VaporFlask Stout. My personal favorite vape (and personal is huge) is the .5 SS at about 50 watts and around 400-420 degrees. My juice is 70/30 VG/PG and that works well for me. My personal opinion of TC is you have to find what works for you as far as taste, temperature etc. But, the Crown on the Cuboid is a great set up in my opinion. Good luck!!!
I absolutely agree with you, the Crown is a real gem! I'm really torn as to which tank to bring with me when I'm out hitting the bars, the Crown or the Triton 2. Both are really excellent tanks! The Cuboid is my favorite mod for now as well but I am waiting for the Snow Wolf v2 to come out and see how that looks. Cant wait!

I'm vaping a slightly higher vg at 80%. Im still playing around with the settings but settled for 500°F @ 40w. That said, what's the real benefit of tc from wattage mode? I find the juice Im vaping tastes the same in power mode and tc.

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That said, what's the real benefit of tc from wattage mode? I find the juice Im vaping tastes the same in power mode and tc.

Mainly coil life and possible health concerns. I popped in the frankly under performing ni200 head that came with my crown and figured I'd just use it until it was time to change. The stupid thing just won't die. Tank after tank and it just laughed at me. I pulled it after I got sick of the underwhelming performance, but it's still sitting here on my desk, good to go in a pinch. It's way harder to hurt a coil head in TC mod. If you never run tanks very low(say always refilling at the half way mark) or prefer vaping at a lower wattage the actual value of temperature control decreases, with the caveat that some people like extremely cool vapes and TC can reliably provide that with shorter ramp up time. I know a guy who only vapes fruit flavors at about 420 degrees and he loves temp control, because he can run in the 20-30 watt range for fast, instant heating without ever "burning the hell out of all of the flavor" as he insists most of us do, but for most people the most substantial benefit is coil longevity and health concerns.

The idea is, perfectly set, you're never heat damaging your wicking material, so the only thing that causes your coils to "age" is buildup on the coils themselves. Depending on the flavoring of of the juice in question, that can take a very long time. On the other hand, if you vape dark, sweet liquid that really caramelizes and gunks up coils, you might not notice any real change at all. There's also the health aspect, in that overheating your juice may produce some toxins that you are better off not inhaling as well as toxins from actually burning the wicking material and the "gunk" that builds up on the coils. I've had TC self built coils that lasted MONTHS before needing any maintenance and after burning off the gunk(which I hear you aren't supposed to do anymore, my bad) they were good to go again. I just used new wick, but frankly, I could have pulled the old wick back through, as it was still in fine shape. As for the health side, that's kind of a personal preference. I'm not too concerned about it, but some people take it very serious. I figure no longer smoking two packs a day and primarily breathing clean, country air gives me enough wiggle room on the occasional potentially harmful trace chemicals that I'm not terribly concerned, but your opinion may vary.

Compare that to regular, non TC mode, where you pick a power setting, and maybe that works great in optimal conditions, but maybe you get a little singing of the wicking over time when you hold the button down a little too soon or too late, and maybe the occasional dry hit if the wick isn't performing perfectly. Eventually it gets gunked up enough that you are "burning" the buildup on your coils just to get the liquid on top of that to vaporize and you can taste that, so time to change coils again. In a rebuildable the wick will actually just fall apart if you keep it in use long enough, from the constant minor singing and carbonization that occurs.

That said, on the Crown I really prefer the .25 Ohm heads at 60-70 watts in power mode, adjusted depending on the juice. The SS coils have non resistant legs soldered to them, so the SS TCR isn't exactly right, but even playing with custom TCR settings I can't get the things to perform as well in TC mode as I feel they should. They may only last me 2-3 weeks, but I'd rather get the vape I enjoy than a sub par temperature controlled one that lasts longer. Longevity at that point is just more time to feel disappointed.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mainly coil life and possible health concerns. I popped in the frankly under performing ni200 head that came with my crown and figured I'd just use it until it was time to change. The stupid thing just won't die. Tank after tank and it just laughed at me. I pulled it after I got sick of the underwhelming performance, but it's still sitting here on my desk, good to go in a pinch. It's way harder to hurt a coil head in TC mod. If you never run tanks very low(say always refilling at the half way mark) or prefer vaping at a lower wattage the actual value of temperature control decreases, with the caveat that some people like extremely cool vapes and TC can reliably provide that with shorter ramp up time. I know a guy who only vapes fruit flavors at about 420 degrees and he loves temp control, because he can run in the 20-30 watt range for fast, instant heating without ever "burning the hell out of all of the flavor" as he insists most of us do, but for most people the most substantial benefit is coil longevity and health concerns.

The idea is, perfectly set, you're never heat damaging your wicking material, so the only thing that causes your coils to "age" is buildup on the coils themselves. Depending on the flavoring of of the juice in question, that can take a very long time. On the other hand, if you vape dark, sweet liquid that really caramelizes and gunks up coils, you might not notice any real change at all. There's also the health aspect, in that overheating your juice may produce some toxins that you are better off not inhaling as well as toxins from actually burning the wicking material and the "gunk" that builds up on the coils. I've had TC self built coils that lasted MONTHS before needing any maintenance and after burning off the gunk(which I hear you aren't supposed to do anymore, my bad) they were good to go again. I just used new wick, but frankly, I could have pulled the old wick back through, as it was still in fine shape. As for the health side, that's kind of a personal preference. I'm not too concerned about it, but some people take it very serious. I figure no longer smoking two packs a day and primarily breathing clean, country air gives me enough wiggle room on the occasional potentially harmful trace chemicals that I'm not terribly concerned, but your opinion may vary.

Compare that to regular, non TC mode, where you pick a power setting, and maybe that works great in optimal conditions, but maybe you get a little singing of the wicking over time when you hold the button down a little too soon or too late, and maybe the occasional dry hit if the wick isn't performing perfectly. Eventually it gets gunked up enough that you are "burning" the buildup on your coils just to get the liquid on top of that to vaporize and you can taste that, so time to change coils again. In a rebuildable the wick will actually just fall apart if you keep it in use long enough, from the constant minor singing and carbonization that occurs.

That said, on the Crown I really prefer the .25 Ohm heads at 60-70 watts in power mode, adjusted depending on the juice. The SS coils have non resistant legs soldered to them, so the SS TCR isn't exactly right, but even playing with custom TCR settings I can't get the things to perform as well in TC mode as I feel they should. They may only last me 2-3 weeks, but I'd rather get the vape I enjoy than a sub par temperature controlled one that lasts longer. Longevity at that point is just more time to feel disappointed.
Thank you, Red for the very informative post!

I didn't like the ni200 coil either. It tasted funny. And I think I read somewhere that ni200 coils produce harmful vapors. I just cant remember where I read about it. Anyway, I'm really liking the .5ohm ss coil. Haven't tried the .25ohm though.

So mainly it all boils down to longevity then... interesting. I guess I'll keep vaping in tc mode, if that's the case. Thought it'd taste different through tc mode. It leaves me to wonder when the regular coils (kanthal?) can be used in tc mode as well.

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad you enjoyed it, I know I can get a little wordy. Here I go again.

The possible health concerns from nickel coils has been around since the start of vaping with no real conclusive answers. Frankly, it temperature controls better than SS in my experience, but not enough that I wouldn't probably just stick with SS if you have a mod that supports TC for it. Kanthal has almost no change in resistance as it heats up in the ranges we use it at, so the answer to that is likely never. All temperature control is basically "faking" it. Real TC would require a thermal probe right up against the coil. What we are calling TC is really just taking advantage of the fact that we know the theoretical TCR(Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) for certain coil materials, so the device registers the resistance change as it heats up, and when it hits the resistance that it "knows" theoretically should equate to the temperature you've set, it lowers and raises the voltage to attempt to keep it at that resistance. If it resistance starts to climb higher it backs off on power, if it starts to fall it amps it back up. The more the temperature changes the resistance of the material, the more accurate that pseudo TC is. So, ni200 is great because it has a high TCR and changes a lot. Some of the new ceramic coil/chip tanks use tungsten, which also changes a lot. SS changes, just not as much, so the calculations for determining what temperature equates to what resistance just aren't as accurate with the same hardware. That said, if your mod had the hardware to calculate really, really tiny resistance changes SS would be just as good. Hell, Kanthal has a TCR that you could theoretically build a device sensitive enough to detect, but you're talking about developing resistance sensors that could fit in a mod that perform at a level we currently only use in specialized energy fields and are usually thousands of dollars. To do TCR reliably on Kanthal, your mod would need to be able to detect resistance changes out to the 5th or 6th decimal place. It's hard to find a decently priced multimeter that goes to the third decimal, much less beyond.

So, Nickel is currently the "best" temperature control wire we have because of it's high TCR, Titanium and Resistherm come in second at a little over half the sensitivity of Nickel, and SS is third at a little less than a sixth as sensitive as Nickel. In a slightly ironic twist, the extremely low TCR of Kanthal, the very thing that make it "King" of resistance wires for vaping for so long, makes it completely terrible for doing temperature control the way we currently handle it.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad you enjoyed it, I know I can get a little wordy. Here I go again.

The possible health concerns from nickel coils has been around since the start of vaping with no real conclusive answers. Frankly, it temperature controls better than SS in my experience, but not enough that I wouldn't probably just stick with SS if you have a mod that supports TC for it. Kanthal has almost no change in resistance as it heats up in the ranges we use it at, so the answer to that is likely never. All temperature control is basically "faking" it. Real TC would require a thermal probe right up against the coil. What we are calling TC is really just taking advantage of the fact that we know the theoretical TCR(Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) for certain coil materials, so the device registers the resistance change as it heats up, and when it hits the resistance that it "knows" theoretically should equate to the temperature you've set, it lowers and raises the voltage to attempt to keep it at that resistance. If it resistance starts to climb higher it backs off on power, if it starts to fall it amps it back up. The more the temperature changes the resistance of the material, the more accurate that pseudo TC is. So, ni200 is great because it has a high TCR and changes a lot. Some of the new ceramic coil/chip tanks use tungsten, which also changes a lot. SS changes, just not as much, so the calculations for determining what temperature equates to what resistance just aren't as accurate with the same hardware. That said, if your mod had the hardware to calculate really, really tiny resistance changes SS would be just as good. Hell, Kanthal has a TCR that you could theoretically build a device sensitive enough to detect, but you're talking about developing resistance sensors that could fit in a mod that perform at a level we currently only use in specialized energy fields and are usually thousands of dollars. To do TCR reliably on Kanthal, your mod would need to be able to detect resistance changes out to the 5th or 6th decimal place. It's hard to find a decently priced multimeter that goes to the third decimal, much less beyond.

So, Nickel is currently the "best" temperature control wire we have because of it's high TCR, Titanium and Resistherm come in second at a little over half the sensitivity of Nickel, and SS is third at a little less than a sixth as sensitive as Nickel. In a slightly ironic twist, the extremely low TCR of Kanthal, the very thing that make it "King" of resistance wires for vaping for so long, makes it completely terrible for doing temperature control the way we currently handle it.
I get the "faking it" part, and I guess the future of vaping really does fall on tc. Maybe in time, hopefully, they'll be able to develop mods and tanks that "talk" to one another to be able to develop a proper and accurate tc mode. I really wouldn't mind paying extra if these come into reality.

Honestly, vaping tech as it seems, seem pretty "pre-historic" in the way... how the juice wicks, how it calculates tc, etc. Honestly, before I quit smoking altogether, I expected some high-tech magic (for the lack of a better word) when I transitioned to vaping only to see that vaping is somewhat a pre-historic tech when you think about it. But then again, vaping technology is rapidly advancing. One can only guess where it'll get to five years from now. Which also, in part, makes it sort of exciting if we car bear the wait.

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have this kind of image in my head of where vaping is heading if unnecessary legislation doesn't strangle all the innovation. I picture a device that pumps juice into a completely wickless vaporization chamber as needed, all regulated and adjusted by the computer to provide a vape exactly like you want. You set the temperature, density, and draw resistance of your vape and the device just takes care of everything else on the fly. Occasionally you pull out the actual heating element and clean it, or more likely throw it away and pop in a new disposable one, and away you go. Juice injection, the wave of the future! :) Who really knows?

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have this kind of image in my head of where vaping is heading if unnecessary legislation doesn't strangle all the innovation. I picture a device that pumps juice into a completely wickless vaporization chamber as needed, all regulated and adjusted by the computer to provide a vape exactly like you want. You set the temperature, density, and draw resistance of your vape and the device just takes care of everything else on the fly. Occasionally you pull out the actual heating element and clean it, or more likely throw it away and pop in a new disposable one, and away you go. Juice injection, the wave of the future! :) Who really knows?
If they do come out with something like that, I'll buy without hesitation. But yeah, who knows? The possibilities are endless with the rate of development that's been going on with vape gear.

dud3r

Member For 4 Years
I've been using the Ni coil in my Crown. Have the Sigelei 150 and it doesn't support the stainless TC. Time to change that.

VU Sponsors