KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hello Folks,

Bought myself the D2 by uwell from UK ecig store. I know it's been out for a while but better late than never right!

I was a big fan of the original crown tank and although it did have an RBA deck you could purchase seperately it was so tiny I never bothered to pick it up. I was hoping Uwell would at some point make a dedicated RTA and for one reason or another I missed the fact they even had one out!

Onto the review ....

Presentation

Uwell pack everything into a metal presentation tube. Has a little logo on the front saying no leaking ever. I shall test that one out!

There is a scratch and sniff just under the lid

Contents
1 x D2 Atomizer
1 x Extra quartz glasses
1 x Cotton
1 x Extra Silicone O-rings and Screws
1 x Sticker
1 x User Manual
1x Set of fused claptons

Features
Size: Width 24.7mm x Height 70.3mm
Capacity: 4ml
Weight: 83g
Material: Stainless Steel & Quartz Glass
Heat insulated drip tip
Velocity style build deck
Double glass tube top airflow
Anti-leaking installation
Small-bore chimney design
Top filling
Top airflow - but directed under the coils bottom airflow style

IMG_1190.JPG

Initial impressions

Well my parcel delivery service must have been playing football with it as when it arrived in the brown bubble wrap envelope, the tin was crushed and the atty was lose in the in the envelope ... great start! Thankfully the atty wasn't mullered so I was able to continue.

The atty itself at first glance looks big but it's actually shorter than the original crown by a few mm so if your ok with the size of the original you know what to expect here.

It feels solid it's not a light atty but it's machined well. I particularly like the knurling everywhere making it easy to dissasemble and refill

The positive pin sits proud at the bottom of the 510 threads which is always good.

It also has the same style easy acces to the deck by screwing off the bottom base cap and removing the deck. It can only be inserted one way using the notches located in the housing. Users of the Aromamizer supreme and Boreas know how great this feature is as it makes it awesome for a quick clean of the coils, re-wick and go. Always best to remove it when the juice is low capacity though otherwise it can get messy!

My only real criticism is that the threading is a little scratchy on the top cap and base cap which I wasn't impressed with

The atty breaks down into 8 parts it's fairly easy to clean with the exception of the chimney housing (top of pic below) that is a bugger to clean out lots of nooks and crannies in there ...still held up well in the ultrasonic cleaner.

IMG_1192.JPG

I mentioned above in the features it's a top airflow. How they made this work is to have a two part glass section. The juice sits in the middle portion of the tank with the airflow being directed down under the coil between the inner and out glass portions. You can see what I mean below

IMG_1210.JPG

What's she like to build on?

It's a velocity style Deck so easy as you like. The deck isn't huge so I recommend 2.5mm coils on here (I'll post a wicking guide as a part 2) fused claptons work very well in here though

You will only be able to run dual coils in here there is no single coil option.

IMG_1208.JPG

In terms of coil placement I have them at a height where the 2.5mm bit is able to sit roughly under the coil as you can see below. Sit them centred above the bottom airflow

IMG_1209.JPG

How does she vape?

Im impressed even with the longer distance of the the air to travel im still getting really good flavour from this. The chamber inside is conical compressing the vapour before heading up the chimney. It has better flavour than the original crown but you kind of expect that when making your own coils.

It's one of those ones you don't have to crank up the wattage to get a great vape (been vaping this around 36w). This a flavour first atty not a cloud chucker.

The draw is fairly restricted sometimes even with the air flow wide open depending on wicking which suits my style. Draw feedback is very similar to what I experienced on the original crown, and also the Pharoah dripper tank. The best way I can describe it is it's kinda of hollow if that makes sense takes a while to get there but when it does you get great flavour, so a longer draw does help on this one

Now back to the no leaks ever statement by Uwell! Actually it doesn't leak not if you wick it correctly the only time I had a bad moment and flooded the outer airflow section was when I forgot to close the airflow before refilling so make sure you do this each time :) also make sure the base cap is tightened securely and that the orings are all in place

The final con and it's a biggy is condensation unfortunately you will eventually get condensation between the inner and outer portions of the glass to the point where it's difficult to see the juice level! This not only is aesthetically annoying but it affects your ability to know when to refill

Example below

IMG_1265.JPG

My final thoughts

If you are someone who has only ever used the crown and are now looking to try an RTA for the first time this one is for you, likewise for those that prefer flavour over clouds and want a tank with decent capacity and no leaking equally this will serve you well.

I really like this atty it has really decent flavour, doesn't leak, its easy to rewick and change the coil. I like the restricted draw. I'm happy I finally have a Uwell RTA in my collection... So drawing to a close yeah I would recommend this one even with the condensation problem

Pros

Great flavour
Doesn't leak
Easy to rewick
Mid range price point
Well constructed
Knurling makes it easy to grip for assembly/dissasembly

Cons

Will flood if you forget to close the AFC
Condensation is a annoying
Scratchy threads

IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
wicking guide for the D2

I used cotton bacon Scottish roll method ...if you aren't familiar with this method google Scottish roll wicking method for the vid of the guy who came up with this ...it's awesome works a charm on just about every atty!

First put the cotton through the coils (twisting the end). They should be snug but not overly tight that you end up pulling the coils.

After you have pulled it through pull back and forth a few times to let the cotton settle into the coil.

I cut the cotton to the length of the bottom of the first black oring below

Next rake the ends to fluff them up and thin them out a bit should look similar to the below after you have done the above
IMG_1212.JPG

Next I cut the edges of the cotton following the line of the base, giving it that angle look
IMG_1211.JPG
Tease the wick ends into the juice well so that they plug the juice hole (you can check holding the base up that the cotton it sitting snug over the hole ( there should not be any gaps when looking under)

Now when doing this final step the cotton should be snug in the wells but not really tight. If it feels like you are having to force it in there pull up the end and rake some excess away, rinse and repeat

IMG_1213.JPG

Now juice it up to prime it heat the coil a tiny bit which sucks the juice into the coil wicking

Ensure the juiced up wicks are away from the bottom airflow as they will swell a little

insert into the housing ensuring the cotton isn't dragged out of position as you place it in there

screw it all back together ...fill the tank (closing the AFC) and you are away

Enjoy folks :)

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sort of forgot about this tank but do like my D1, looks like I am going to have to add the D2 to my list as well.

Thanks for the review!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I sort of forgot about this tank but do like my D1, looks like I am going to have to add the D2 to my list as well.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks mate lol was still in progress finished part one now though

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You had me at "Great Flavor Tank" that was what got me....lol

It is mate if you like the crown series you will like this one :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nice review KingPin!I have all the others, but for some reason I never ordered this one.
Might have to give it a shot.

Thanks mate I wanted the rose gold one but they had only the SS in stock :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
They got a rose gold one.....your killin me, thought only silver and matter black. Now gotta do more google fu

Well that's all I could find as well mate ...but there are pics about for it also they call it coffee rather than rose gold if I could have found that one in stock I would have snagged that instead!

Uwell_D2_3_1_5e8c3b7e-268b-4464-ab42-69ffcf786a18_grande.jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Oh, that looks like the matte version of my D1 coffee which is such a nice finish.

b11dea2e0591f45002fd5a75561cd88c.jpg

that does look so awesome mate it's like it was made for the battlestar!

The D1 and D2 are identical pretty much except for the Pre made vs DIY coils

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great review. I've thought about getting one of these tanks before but for one reason or another I never have. This review definitely put it back on my radar. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great review. I've thought about getting one of these tanks before but for one reason or another I never have. This review definitely put it back on my radar. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks for the kind words baron this is a gooden don't know why I missed it either! :)

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that does look so awesome mate it's like it was made for the battlestar!

The D1 and D2 are identical pretty much except for the Pre made vs DIY coils
The crowns were all made for the battlestar! When i get a chance ill take some nice pics for you

and damn. You really got me interested in this tank. I wonder now if i can modify the original crown to seat this velocity deck. a tap and dye set and retro fit to the original crown. Regardless i think i may get this tank sooner than later

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The crowns were all made for the battlestar! When i get a chance ill take some nice pics for you

and damn. You really got me interested in this tank. I wonder now if i can modify the original crown to seat this velocity deck. a tap and dye set and retro fit to the original crown. Regardless i think i may get this tank sooner than later

I'm almost certain you'll love it mate, put it this way my wife wouldn't use any other atty other than the crown V1 since she started vaping, she now uses the D2 (I had to agree to do the rewicking for her mind!) it's really is a great vape in my top ten for sure

Just remember to close the airflow before refilling it will dump your juice if you don't! And I doubt very much you'll be able to modify the original crown it requires a completely different layout unless you go Frankenstein on it but then you might as well just use the D2???

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I meant a frankenstein. I have 4 crown tanks. Wouldnt hurt to buy 2 D2's and use one normally then take the other and a stock crown to the workbench and try to fit the rba and 510 protion onto the crown 1 tank. Regardless yes. Its something im keeping an eye on. Thankyou for the awesome tank suggestion

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Paid $8 for a battlestar combined with a rewards deal i got. Now im REALLY leaning towards the d2

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Paid $8 for a battlestar combined with a rewards deal i got. Now im REALLY leaning towards the d2

Go in the knowledge you will get condensation mate I haven't yet rebuilt this and found a way to stop it just want to reiterate this :)

On the other hand if you can put up with that ...SS fused claptons at 2.5mm hmmm awesome vape

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Im thinking to put the rba deck and 510 base into the crown tank. No condensation.

Well if you manage to do it drop a link back in here mate deffo create a seperate thread for it though I'd be really interested to know if that's possible :)

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sure it is! A dap and dye set to re-thread and some solder to seal holes as needed. Frankensteined a geekvape deck to a smok tfv12 for a friend. I took 2 tries so he wasted a few tanks but shit it works crazy

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@KingPin! do you DIY?? Just finished crafting this batch of 4 flavours a few bottles of each.

" The dutch chocolatier's smoke break " a chocolatey creamy tobacco

" Honey dipped cigar " as the title suggests

" sambuca washed lucky strike tobacco " american tobacco with a sambuca kick

" Ry4 french vanilla ice cream " creamy vanilla tobacco with hints of caramel. This is the holy shit one

retail for that much e juice is about $250 in my area. All of that cost me $20 ish dollars to make. I already had the bottles

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@KingPin! do you DIY?? Just finished crafting this batch of 4 flavours a few bottles of each.

" The dutch chocolatier's smoke break " a chocolatey creamy tobacco

" Honey dipped cigar " as the title suggests

" sambuca washed lucky strike tobacco " american tobacco with a sambuca kick

" Ry4 french vanilla ice cream " creamy vanilla tobacco with hints of caramel. This is the holy shit one

retail for that much e juice is about $250 in my area. All of that cost me $20 ish dollars to make. I already had the bottles

I only DIY :) I'm not a tobacco flavour lover except for the RY4 Double will certainly check out that last one...have you posted the recipes up?

Also check out rocketpuppys RY4 recipe (awesome) though I'm finding lately I'm having to tone down a lot of the percentages in my mixes . the stated mixes are now too strong for me gonna halve it next time

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didnt know i could post recipes!

for me i love tobacco. I tried vaping 3 different times and wasnt too thrilled until someone showed me an exact real feel tobacco juice. I personally like tobacco. Strong cigarettes and fine cigars. So i can copy the taste of a sweet or flavoured cigar or copy a good virginia blend or turkish blend. I dont mind authentic shisha flavours (ie double apple) and yes i have to agree about flavour strength. Vaping 0.2 - 0.4 ohm builds mean alot more vapout and alot less nic/flavour. I usually do 10-11% for tobacco flavours and 1-2% for added flavours like sweetener, vanilla, caramel, chocolate. I get my moneys worth for the flavours and all my friends say that the flavours i pump out are all day long enjoyable. Not rediculous and quickly worn out. i like to make "all day vape" liquids. Ill vape a flavour for like 2 weeks and switch or stay but same short list of recipes. Simply because theyre awesome. Ive had a vape store ask me to make for them but then id need to make a company and a lab and a logo and blah blah blah. I vape to enjoy it and too busy with my studies.

glad to see your also a DIYer

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Super sick, friday im ordering some more crap. Coils, empty bottles, coil wire, another battle star. In a few weeks im guna order enough gear to make 2L of juice and brew up about 10 different flavours. Mostly new tobaccos and some shisha

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its amazing how much better juice taste when it sits for 1-2 months. Thats the $30 for 30ml in the store

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good review @KingPin! ....:wave:

I don't have the atty, gave up Uwell for lent after the first tank with the hit-miss-miss coils....:cuss2:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Good review @KingPin! ....:wave:

I don't have the atty, gave up Uwell for lent after the first tank with the hit-miss-miss coils....:cuss2:

Yeah I have heard this mate out of all the coils I've used for the V1 one was janky must have been lucky ...that or they sent all the good stuff to the uk lol ;)

As it stands flavour wise this is in my top ten attys at the moment

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really liked the first crown....it was really nice to have just for the premade .25 coils. If I didn't have an atty ready to take for the day, I always grabbed the crown. Still have a shit-load of .25 coils, some are good but many are faulty. I'll have to dig one of the crowns out and give it another shot. Kinda miss it. Haven't even thought about it lately until you posted this thread.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I really liked the first crown....it was really nice to have just for the premade .25 coils. If I didn't have an atty ready to take for the day, I always grabbed the crown. Still have a shit-load of .25 coils, some are good but many are faulty. I'll have to dig one of the crowns out and give it another shot. Kinda miss it. Haven't even thought about it lately until you posted this thread.

Cloud posted a vid in another thread for the rebuilding of the V1 coils gonna give it a shot at some point!

It's halfway down in this thread mate

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/ss316l-coils-please-help.342128/#post-1826905

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just so we know how much i love the crown. And you should really try again

1. I own 4
2. I have over 100 brand new coils although i rebuild the same 10
3. Its the only tank i own after trying tanks from smok, joytech, aspire.
4. It is incredibly durable and with a good hot water clean once in a while it looks new out of the box.
5. It lets you rebuild coils and i find .3 or .35 is such a sweet spot for this tank
6. Most importantly it never ever flooded or leaked or made a mess ever.
7. I dont know anyone else who makes their tank out of food grade stainless steel.
8. I bough like 25 packs of o-ring sets to keep this thing alive for the long haul and they were only .50 cents a piece.
9. It beats the crown 2 and 3 ive tried the 3 not the 2.
10. It looks beautiful on anything

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the great review with that said I have been wanting the D2 as I have always loved my Crown tanks I think I will go ahead and get one ordered In August...

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you for the great review with that said I have been wanting the D2 as I have always loved my Crown tanks I think I will go ahead and get one ordered In August...

Thanks much appreciated :) do let me know what you think of it puff I'm interested to know if others enjoy the flavour from it as I do!

I often hate describing flavour in reviews because it's so subjective so feedback on that front is helpful for me for future stuff ;)

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks much appreciated :) do let me know what you think of it puff I'm interested to know if others enjoy the flavour from it as I do!

I often hate describing flavour in reviews because it's so subjective so feedback on that front is helpful for me for future stuff ;)
I will do that and I to think highly of the Crown tanks put in a 0.25 coil and Yum yum.

VU Sponsors