Become a Patron!

Vandyvape Kylin, A DeucesJack Review

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Full Disclosure:

Let’s get all the disclosures out of the way. This tank was sent to me directly from Vandyvape specifically for the purposes of this review. This will not in any way, shape, or form cause me to give this tank a favorable review or change my opinion in any way.
c6a2ed09b8a4b66d771610031588b933.jpg

First Impression Out Of The Box:

Typical Vandy vape packaging with three Goon style drip tips. I love the fact that Vandyvape does this. It really sets them apart from all the other companies. Love the look of this Kylin. Looks great in shorty mode right out of the box.

What’s In The box:

The Kylin comes pre assembled in shorty mode. You also get three drip tips, 510 drip tip adapter, spare shorty glass, chimney extension, spare o'rings, spare deck screws, and one 6ml glass.
c84afc150b79ec916d2878030e5287a0.jpg

From Top To Bottom:

Choose any one of the 3 drip tip selections. All are quite comfortable and stay cool while chain vaping. The drip tip choices include a Goon style wide bore 17.5 mm drip tip, a 16mm, a 14mm and a 510 drip tip adapter that allows you to use any of your own 510 drip tips. It’s nice to have a choice in the package that will basically accommodate any style of vaping.

The top cap has some great knurling to it that makes removing when filling the tank an easy task. There is a graduated step around the actual 510 opening that looks like a little platform. I tend to like top caps that are flat on top but this platform is not to high. Still, I wish companies would just make them flat. On the inside of the top cap there is a thick o'ring that seals against the rim of the glass when you tighten the top cap down.

When the top cap is off there is no other piece attached to the glass of the tank. It is wide open. This may bother some people because they feel that there is nothing holding the glass in place. Rest assured the glass tank section is held in place by a pretty thick oring on the base of the tank. The glass does not move or wobble when filling. It's just not going anywhere, I promise.

Add the chimney extension and large glass to convert the Kylin to a 6ml tank. Even with the large glass there is no wobble when filling. There is a slight flavor difference between the two modes. The difference may be very slight and really not even worth a mentioning. I’ll put it this way, the difference in flavor is not worth the hassle of constantly filling this tank in 2ml mode. It just plows through the juice with dual coils in 2ml mode. I would have prefered a 3ml shorty mode as opposed to 2mls. In shorty mode it just goes through the juice to fast. Yes it is easily solved by converting the tank to 6ml mode but I would have liked to have seen a 3ml shorty mode because I believe with this tank it would have been much more practical

The chamber that covers the coils is made out of stainless steel and has some Kylin branding on one side and the Vandyvape logo on the other. The Kylin does have juice flow control that is very easily adjustable once on the the mod. The chamber interior has a very conical shape to it that is definite factor where flavor is concerned.

The 510 pin is gold plated just like the deck. Like all Vandyvape products so far it has a peek insulator around it for safety. The base of the deck is serialized and features the tank craetors name.

Just a little side note here. I tend to look up names of tanks just to see what the creator was thinking when they name their products. I feel it gives me a little insight into what their original thoughts and goals were. Here is what I found on the Kylin.
e70856e093519f710f85d13331e0341e.jpg

Merriam Webster:

Definition of kylin
plural
-s
: a unicorn of Chinese myth depicted with the tail of an ox and the legs and body of a deer

Urban Dictionary:
kylin
the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world. Smart, Attractive, Funny.
i wish i was just like kylin, but I’'m a just a ugly dog compared to her.

Kylin
A fictional animal in an ancient chinese fairy tale which represents luck and happiness. It's appearance is that of a dragon and a lion. Male is called Ky and Female is called Lin.
Not sure what definition they were going for but I found it entertaining nonetheless.
The Deck:

The Kylin is a 24mm postless deck that you can run single or dual coils on. The deck does have bottom and side airflow. It is gold plated and the airflow is fully adjustable. The deck itself is gorgeous. You can get some good sized dual coils in there or one massive single coil. The wicking port is big. The cotton really needs to be fluffed in order to cover the entire slot. Knurling on the base is provided for the JFC and airflow control. The dual AFC is clicky and has a stopper on each end. It has three positions and each position will provided you with some type of direct lung hit that ranges from medium restricted to pretty wide open. Whatever you adjust on one side will be the same adjustment on the other side.
668bd8957185d23c97c521bc9b8c9aa7.jpg

f9a83e6d5d7a306a10cfac0b5ea18118.jpg
0fada1562be379006abe5045dcc47455.jpg

Building And Wicking:

As mentioned before this is a dual or single coil deck. I have run both and I do like it better in dual coil mode. I just tend to get more intense flavor. Kind of surprised there because I tend to really like single coil vapes but that is not the case with the Kylin. If you are going to run a single coil build in the Kylin I would suggest at least a 4mm ID coil. Anything less there just does not seem to be enough cotton to properly fill the wicking port.

As with most postless decks patience is a virtue. I would encourage you to take your time clipping your leads until you find just the right height for your coils. The grub screws are hex screws and they are accessed on the inside of the wicking ports.
0c5a40c96df8123b78dc79da3a0ea7cb.jpg
9ee4ef09b03e9c4707b896c643e9221c.jpg
29dd57ec2846c380315621f54b3be2c1.jpg

But Deuces, How Does She Vape:

I have to say that this is the best dual coil flavor tank I have ever vaped on. The flavor is just pure joy. It is intense, cloudy and dense. Now I am not saying this is worlds ahead of anything on the market but it is significantly better enough for me to comment. I test a lot of tanks and for me to gush over this one, well you just know it has to be good. To put it in perspective, I have not been able to put my Kylin down and I have a pretty large choice of RTA’s to choose from. No matter what juice I use it just tastes better in the Kylin.

I have dual SS Aliens in it ohming out at .18 and the flavor is just unbelievable. I am running it in TC on my Sx Mini G Class at 92 Joules. I love the draw, the way it vapes, the flavor, and the clouds. It is just a fantastic tank.

Conclusion:

Just go out and get this tank. You will not be sorry. The machining is top notch. You have a bunch of drip tip choices. You have two different sizes that you can run it in and it can be used with dual or single coils. I mean really what more could you ask for? Vandyvape has done it again and they have covered all the bases. I have everything Vandyvape has ever made and this tank is their best effort yet. That right there should tell you how good this really is because I am of the opinion that vandyvape has yet to put out a bad product as of this writing. So basically what I am saying is just go out and get one because the Kylin is Deucesjack approved with my absolute highest rating. 5 Deuces rating for sure.

If you found this review helpful please feel free to leave a comment, give it a like, and give me a follow. If you are a Vendor and would like a DeucesJack Review please PM me on this forum.

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pros and Cons:

A note about Pros and Cons. These are my Pros and Cons. They are very subjective. What may be a pro to me could be a con to you and vice versa.

Pros:

* 3 drip tips and a 510 adapter
* Shorty or tall mode
* Dual or single coil
* Machining
* Vape quality
* Flavor
* Easy to build
* Easy to wick
* Takes big coils
* Knurling
* Looks

Cons:

* Platform on top cap
* Postless deck can be a pain to build
* Some vapers might have prefered a metal fill port
* Shorty mode should have been 3mls

***Note*** These cons are extremely minor and do not affect the quality of vape this tank produces.

Specs:

* 24mm Diameter
* 2mL Standard Capacity
* 6mL Maximum Juice Capacity - Extension Glass
* Superior Stainless Steel Construction
* Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
* Innovative Postless, Quad Terminal Design
* Two PEEK-Insulated Positive Terminal Posts
* Two Negative Terminal Posts
* 24K Gold-Plated Build Deck
* Single or Double Coil Configurations
* Dual External Adjustable Airflow
* Dual Centralized Internal Air Slots
* Dual Slanted Internal Air Slots
* Convenient Threaded Top-Fill Design
* 14mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* 16mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* 17.5mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* 510 Drip Tip Adapter
* Gold-Plated 510 Contact Pin

The Tank On Different Mods:

On The Ijoy Captain:
6ae413be0d0aa988f35085dbfaae94f4.jpg

On The SX Mini G Class:
42956e6d1b0d17b450801d721ed8bf2f.jpg

On The Lost Vape Triade:
3994bf1307295b6d1fe8b21dba278928.jpg

On The Smoant Charon:
863684456dd6c1b973e64ede519c86b1.jpg

On The Smok GX350:
c924a7e5bbce7f568961650540aaa446.jpg

On The Craving Vapor Hexohm V3:
90db3fb06a52b627ffca528cc4baad63.jpg

On The Laisimo Wyvern:
1c2d49ceefc2d4f88ff99b03d1c9be09.jpg

On The Vaporesso Tarrot Mini:
9a74e34192a2a48135a3062b609095a9.jpg

On The Vaporesso Nebula:
7256b6214372b5c2565561d043c04eb7.jpg

Almost forgot the Kylin is now available in multiple colors. Check them out here.
http://www.vandyvape.com/

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Pros and Cons:

A note about Pros and Cons. These are my Pros and Cons. They are very subjective. What may be a pro to me could be a con to you and vice versa.

Pros:

* 3 drip tips and a 510 adapter
* Shorty or tall mode
* Dual or single coil
* Machining
* Vape quality
* Flavor
* Easy to build
* Easy to wick
* Takes big coils
* Knurling
* Looks

Cons:

* Platform on top cap
* Postless deck can be a pain to build
* Some vapers might have prefered a metal fill port
* Shorty mode should have been 3mls

***Note*** These cons are extremely minor and do not affect the quality of vape this tank produces.

Specs:

* 24mm Diameter
* 2mL Standard Capacity
* 6mL Maximum Juice Capacity - Extension Glass
* Superior Stainless Steel Construction
* Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
* Innovative Postless, Quad Terminal Design
* Two PEEK-Insulated Positive Terminal Posts
* Two Negative Terminal Posts
* 24K Gold-Plated Build Deck
* Single or Double Coil Configurations
* Dual External Adjustable Airflow
* Dual Centralized Internal Air Slots
* Dual Slanted Internal Air Slots
* Convenient Threaded Top-Fill Design
* 14mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* 16mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* 17.5mm Wide Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* 510 Drip Tip Adapter
* Gold-Plated 510 Contact Pin

The Tank On Different Mods:

On The Ijoy Captain:
6ae413be0d0aa988f35085dbfaae94f4.jpg

On The SX Mini G Class:
42956e6d1b0d17b450801d721ed8bf2f.jpg

On The Lost Vape Triade:
3994bf1307295b6d1fe8b21dba278928.jpg

On The Smoant Charon:
863684456dd6c1b973e64ede519c86b1.jpg

On The Smok GX350:
c924a7e5bbce7f568961650540aaa446.jpg

On The Craving Vapor Hexohm V3:
90db3fb06a52b627ffca528cc4baad63.jpg

On The Laisimo Wyvern:
1c2d49ceefc2d4f88ff99b03d1c9be09.jpg

On The Vaporesso Tarrot Mini:
9a74e34192a2a48135a3062b609095a9.jpg

On The Vaporesso Nebula:
7256b6214372b5c2565561d043c04eb7.jpg

Almost forgot the Kylin is now available in multiple colors. Check them out here.
http://www.vandyvape.com/
Nice review jack!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Leaking? No but still working on the best way to wick it. So far I found less is more. If u over stuff it like rip does in his video it's dry hit city

I don't wick it like Ripp either. I wick it like I normally would a deck of this type but I take special care to make sure my cotton definitely touches the bottom of the wicking ports. I also make sure my cotton is extra fluffy. I do use 4mm ID coils as well.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I don't wick it like Ripp either. I wick it like I normally would a deck of this type but I take special care to make sure my cotton definitely touches the bottom of the wicking ports. I also make sure my cotton is extra fluffy. I do use 4mm ID coils as well.
Wait are u talking pharaoh or kylin?

iNcEnDiArY

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thanks so much for the review. I was thinking of getting this as my second tank but saw a few posts about a bad batch (the black colored ones) that leaked.

Arrive Alive

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks so much for the review. I was thinking of getting this as my second tank but saw a few posts about a bad batch (the black colored ones) that leaked.

Arrive Alive
I'm not trying to disparage anyone but I would take those leaking reports with a grain of salt. Wicking the Kylin is kind of counter intuitive and may take a few trys before you get it right. Just saying. Don't get me wrong, it has its cons but so far this is the best dual coil flavor tank I own.

iNcEnDiArY

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm not trying to disparage anyone but I would take those leaking reports with a grain of salt. Wicking the Kylin is kind of counter intuitive and may take a few trys before you get it right. Just saying. Don't get me wrong, it has its cons but so far this is the best dual coil flavor tank I own.
Your review actually cleared my doubts.
Think I'll be getting the ss instead of the black one. Thanks again. And your reviews are really awesome

Arrive Alive

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the review! Looks good. Hows the feel of the airflow?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It's a medium lung hit at its lowest setting and a wide open airy lung hit when its fully wide open. At its lowest setting I wouldn't exactly call it a restrictive lung hit at all. No matter which way you run the AFC it's pretty airy. I'm sure the postless deck adds to its airiness as there is no velocity style deck or posts to create turbulence. All in all a very smooth draw.

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a medium lung hit at its lowest setting and a wide open airy lung hit when its fully wide open. At its lowest setting I wouldn't exactly call it a restrictive lung hit at all. No matter which way you run the AFC it's pretty airy. I'm sure the postless deck adds to its airiness as there is no velocity style deck or posts to create turbulence. All in all a very smooth draw.
Thanks, smooth is key for me. I like a medium dtl

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks jack great review mate ...ordered one today! Wasnt all that impressed with the icon so was on the fence for a while getting another vandyvape product so soon fingers crossed this'll be much better :)

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks jack great review mate ...ordered one today! Wasnt all that impressed with the icon so was on the fence for a while getting another vandyvape product so soon fingers crossed this'll be much better :)

Wow! Really bro? I love my Icon. If you weren't in the UK I'd take it off your hands. Lol. Oh well, different strokes for different folks but it's all good as long as we're not smoking. Out of all the Vandyvape products my least favorite was the Govad but only because you have to drip down the sides. Otherwise it's a great RDA. I'm pretty sure you'll like the Kylin. What color did you get?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Wow! Really bro? I love my Icon. If you weren't in the UK I'd take it off your hands. Lol. Oh well, different strokes for different folks but it's all good as long as we're not smoking. Out of all the Vandyvape products my least favorite was the Govad but only because you have to drip down the sides. Otherwise it's a great RDA. I'm pretty sure you'll like the Kylin. What color did you get?

SS ...

Do you know what I'll give the icon another go it's not like I won't use it ever, also think there was oil residue on it. Mine was covered in it when I got it so might have to boil it, as I'm yet to get an ultrasonic cleaner...but yeah I honestly preferred the Peerless for draw and flavour ...just hated it's build deck and the fact mine leaked from the negative screw but I'm gonna try and sort the latter with some ptfe tape.
I did see if I could transfer the posts between the two lol although stupidly I didn't check whether I could simply swap the tops over crap I'll have to try that bet I can!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
SS ...

Do you know what I'll give the icon another go it's not like I won't use it ever, also think there was oil residue on it. Mine was covered in it when I got it so might have to boil it, as I'm yet to get an ultrasonic cleaner...but yeah I honestly preferred the Peerless for draw and flavour ...just hated it's build deck and the fact mine leaked from the negative screw but I'm gonna try and sort the latter with some ptfe tape.
I did see if I could transfer the posts between the two lol although stupidly I didn't check whether I could simply swap the tops over crap I'll have to try that bet I can!
I love the look of SS. Given a choice I always take it over black.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah I'm the same although I like Matt black tanks but not shiny or glossy looking ones

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got mine other seek had ka1dual quad twisted by compwire premades ohmed at .11 watts 115-130 but 130 was to hot n dry hits scorched juice was comfortable 120 I decided to go old skool like ice age style n did a 24g ni80 quad parallel 3mm was a pita to get in there ohmed at .08 but couldn't fire in power mode, (got rx300 seen reports it reads a lower ohm than should),so I pulled a strand out n have at triple parallel ohms at .15 can't push more than a 120w now 95-110 is perfect n oh not much diff in vapor or flavor about the same

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got mine other seek had ka1dual quad twisted by compwire premades ohmed at .11 watts 115-130 but 130 was to hot n dry hits scorched juice was comfortable 120 I decided to go old skool like ice age style n did a 24g ni80 quad parallel 3mm was a pita to get in there ohmed at .08 but couldn't fire in power mode, (got rx300 seen reports it reads a lower ohm than should),so I pulled a strand out n have at triple parallel ohms at .15 can't push more than a 120w now 95-110 is perfect n oh not much diff in vapor or flavor about the same

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have to say Jack my kylin was leaking pretty bad looks like its coming through between the AFC ring underneath the base

on top of that when I tried to tighten my 510 it snapped ...literally shared off rendering my atty unususable

I didn't order a coloured one looks like I'm not having much luck with vandyvape

I reached out to them as per my pm to you they have contacted me back already hopefully I'll get it resolved

Before It broke though really great flavour lol

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have to say Jack my kylin was leaking pretty bad looks like its coming through between the AFC ring underneath the base

on top of that when I tried to tighten my 510 it snapped ...literally shared off rendering my atty unususable

I didn't order a coloured one looks like I'm not having much luck with vandyvape

I reached out to them as per my pm to you they have contacted me back already hopefully I'll get it resolved

Before It broke though really great flavour lol
Its the way ya wick it too much the juice don't absorb into cotton too lil leaks from the afc but also noticed if ya run high wats 120 or higher n wicked properly the coils can't compensate n juice n condensate drip outta the cotton n collected in the afc n I like the 6no glass better than the two the two gotta refill frequently but the 6 I can tank to last half day

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Lol the 6 I was draining on a dog walk ;)

Na mine has something up with it even with the juice flows completely shut off (and vaped off excess juice) leave it sitting its letting by ...my leak wasn't coming out of the the AFC hole it's between the ring and the base it's not sealed properly

anyway it's mute point now as I said I sheared the 510 no amount of different wicking techniques is gonna help me now lol but I'll bear that in mind for the replacement deck fingers crossed

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lol the 6 I was draining on a dog walk ;)

Na mine has something up with it even with the juice flows completely shut off (and vaped off excess juice) leave it sitting its letting by ...my leak wasn't coming out of the the AFC hole it's between the ring and the base it's not sealed properly

anyway it's mute point now as I said I sheared the 510 no amount of different wicking techniques is gonna help me now lol but I'll bear that in mind for the replacement deck fingers crossed
Mine leaks like a sieve there too. I put the atty back in the box.

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh yea are ya part gorilla to shear the 510 off n not have had one issue ill get a lil juice n condensate collecting at the base but that's it n this stupid finger print that etched into the deck

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
See its right there on the left side View attachment 84478

Mine had that same etch it's just a machining mark

No I didnt gorilla the 510 on the original...when I I went to take it apart to reseat the positive post I noticed it's made of two parts first time I've ever seen that lizard apparently it's one solid peice now with the newer coloured versions? Dunno someone else would need to confirm ...it's like some sort of squonk pin inside but it was really brittle

IMG_1174.JPG

The problem is the bit that sheared off is stuck in the bottom of the positive post and it doesn't come completely off the deck due to being attached to the plastic wedge underneath it so as I said mine is now unusable

I'm in convo with vandyvape at the moment hoping to sort a replacement deck hope they come through :)

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is how mine "leaks" n its I believe more condensation that juice leak

Attachments

• 20170616_133939.jpg
    20170616_133939.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 22

VU Sponsors