Become a Patron!

VandyVape NS Pen

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the NS Pen from VandyVape. The NS Pen was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from VandyVape.

http://vandyvape.com/kit/NS-PEN/

Introduction

The NS or "Nicotine Salts" Pen is a new stylish, 14mm in diameter simple AIO vape pen by Vandyvape. Of course you can use whatever e-liquid you like but it is made to be ideal for using high nicotine or nicotine salts. The NS pen allows you to set various constant output voltage levels and has a magnetic cap that protects the drip-tip from dust which for a change isn't going to just end up going in the bin. The pen charges within an hour and does support pass-through, but the NS does have a con which will be a small issue to some and i must admit a big issue to me. So let's give the stylish pen which you can tailor to your vaping preference a look!

In the Box

Contents:

Vandy Vape NS Pen
1x NS Coil SS316L 1.2ohm
1x NS Coil Ceramic 1.2ohm
Spare parts
QC USB cable
User manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The NS Pen came in plastic lined cardboard packaging with viewing windows, once opened i was met by a stylish pocket friendly vape pen that wouldn't look an eyesore sticking out of the top of a shirt pocket. I received the Stainless Steel version, it also comes in Matte Black, Gun metal and Rainbow, all versions have a silver base, atomiser base section and top-cap, these 3 bands of Silver breaks up the solid colour nicely although because i have the Stainless Steel version it's all Silver. Above the Silver nut shaped top-cap we have a delrin magnetic domed dust cap, pulling off reveals a rounded delrin MTL 510 drip tip. Then we have the tank which is metal with a glass lining, the metal casing has 5 elongated viewing windows cutout so you can clearly see the level of your liquid. The battery section is quite plain with the only features being a large pill shaped fire button with translucent surround and towards the bottom "NS" printed in Black. The base of the device has a circular Black section with micro USB housed centrally, this has a Silver surround with printed branding. There is nothing wrong with the build quality, the finish is very good and as with pen style devices the ergonomics are spot on.

NS Pen Specs and Features:

Size: 128x14mm
Tank capacity: 1.5ml
Battery: 650mAh internal
Coil resistance: 1.2ohm
3 power modes – 3.4V, 3.6V or 3.8V
For nicotine salt or high nicotine e-liquid
Top fill tank
Magnetic top cap
Colour: Matte Black, Stainless Steal, Gun metal, Rainbow

The NS Pen's Various Parts and Filling

The NS Pen is an AIO vape pen so the atomiser joins on to the battery and can't be used independently. The battery has the micro USB on the base and the top of the battery is also the base of the atomiser. The coil screws straight into this base and when the tank section is screwed on to the battery the top of the coil also screws on to the narrow 3mm diameter chimney, although the tank section has threading and screws onto the battery there is also an o-ring to seal the glass lining. Not sure what metal is used on the device although fairly convinced the top-cap, base section of the atomiser and base of the battery is stainless steel. The tank section has a metal casing with viewing windows and has a glass lining. The top-cap is a nut shape which really helps with grip when unscrewing and sitting on top is a rounded MTL delrin drip tip with a 3mm bore. The magnetic cover that fits over the drip tip is also rounded and appears to be delrin, you can take the drip tip out and fit your own but the one fitted is very comfortable in the mouth and ideal for the device (if you do use your own it can't be any taller than the supplied one if you want to use the magnetic cap). When you unscrew the top-cap it reveals 2 mini fill slots so very thin nozzles need to be used (inclusion of a needle nosed bottle would of been a good move), the tank holds 1.5ml of e-liquid.

The Coils

You get two different NS Coils included, both are 1.2ohm. One is a SS316L, the other a Ceramic Coil.

Magnetic Cap

The NS has a magnetic cap which has a nice rounded look and fits into place very securely. I do like the idea of this type of cap to protect the drip tip from dust but usually when i have received a product that has a dust cap it gets tossed in the bin for a reason. More often than not when you take the cover off there is no where to put it so it doesn't take long before you will probably get fed up with holding it and throw it away. With the NS pen the dust cap fits just as well and securely to the bottom of the device which is only a small thing but so often overlooked, this cap will not be heading to the tip.

Using the NS Pen

Yep! you guessed it, the NS pen is 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off the device but rather than most vape pens of this type it's not just direct output or constant output at one set voltage which would mean all you can do is vape and get what your given. Instead the NS has 3 different constant voltage levels which will with the 1.2ohm coil give a constant wattage output, for those who regularly vape nicotine salts i believe there is ideal wattage's depending on how high the mg is. Although the device can reduce voltage to give this constant output it doesn't support voltage boost so once the voltage left on the battery falls below the set level it then becomes direct output for the remaining life of the battery. The surround of the fire button lights up the colour of the level you are on when vaping and to change level you simply press the fire button 3 times, each 3 presses takes you to the next level.

Level 1: The surround of the fire button will light up Red when vaping and this gives you a constant output of 3.4v until the battery goes below 3.4v then it will give direct output until the battery cuts off at 3.2v.

Level 2: The surround of the fire button will light up Green when vaping and this gives you a constant output of 3.6v until the battery goes below 3.6v then it will give direct output until the battery cuts off at 3.2v.

Level 3: The surround of the fire button will light up White when vaping and this gives you a constant output of 3.8v until the battery goes below 3.8v then it will give direct output until the battery cuts off at 3.2v.

The device also has all the usual safety protections you would expect and the light flashes various amount of times when a protection kicks in. The protections include Over vape protection (10s), Low voltage protection, Over charge protection and Short circuit protection. I did say in the introduction there was a con to the device and it's battery status indication which doesn't exist so you need to use your own judgement in drop off when the device goes into direct output mode. This will cause the biggest issue when vaping using level 1 as when the device changes to direct output the battery life is very low.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Charging the NS

The NS pen has a 650mAh built in battery which will need to be charged via the micro USB port on the base of the battery. I found it charged in just shy of an hour and although i wouldn't personally vape while it's charging it does support pass-through. When charging the USB port lights Red and once fully charged it turns Green.

My Experience Using the NS Pen

I used the NS Pen with the 1.2ohm ceramic coil installed, the first tank full i used was 70VG e-liquid as i wanted to see how it coped with higher VG from the start of the coils life and it wicked with no issues, not even a hint of a dry hit. After that i used nic salts e-liquid, i don't usually use high mg or nic salts as i vape using only 3mg (2mg with my DIY juice) but at the moment i am looking at a couple of ranges of nic salts liquids so getting devices like this at the moment is ideal for trying both the liquids and the devices. Not being a nic salts user normally and not really knowing what is the ideal wattage in comparison to mg i used the device on level 1 which gave me a constant output of 3.4v. I found this level gave a surprisingly good vape and plenty for me with the nic salts, it also gave me the longest consistent vape time and made the most of the batteries life. The vapor production was no great shakes but with the ceramic coil absolutely no complaints about the flavour, it was very good. The draw is what i would describe as a classic MTL draw (if there is such a thing), not over tight but certainly not loose. I am always looking at 2 or 3 devices at any one time that i use as my main vaping devices while i test them so when i get pod systems and vape pens which aren't really my thing i don't use them for a long period of time as a main device but tend to use them for a longer period of time but just 3 hours here, 3 hours there, taking with me shopping etc. So i do clock up a fair few hours but spread out so judging battery life is tricky. I did use this device quite a bit over a 2 week period and only charged the battery twice so certainly using the device on 3.4v with nic salts where i didn't need to continuously vape, battery life seemed very good.

Final thoughts

I am not ideally qualified to give my opinion on the device not being a usual high nicotine or nic salts user. My experience though using the device made me feel this is an ideal device for what it was designed for and i would think the different voltage levels are a big pro for high nicotine and nic salts users tailoring the device to what best suits them. The lack of battery status indication is the only drawback that i found.

Well made
Good machining and nice finish
Stylish
Ergonomic
Good flavour
3 constant output levels
LED indication for power level
Safety protections
Magnetic cap (fits on pocket of device when vaping)
Ideal for high nic and nic salts
2 coils included
Pocket friendly
Good battery life when using with high nic and nic salts
Charges in about 1 hour

Cons

No battery status indication
1.5ml (if using nic salts not bad but 2ml would be better)
Can only use bottles with thin nozzles (inclusion of a needle nose bottle would of been a good move)

I would once again like to thank Ariel from Vandyvape for supplying the NS Pen for the purpose of this review.

http://vandyvape.com/kit/NS-PEN/

VU Sponsors