Become a Patron!

Vanilla bean ice cream -Cap vs TFA

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a recipe that I want to try but it calls for VBIC Cap- I only have TFA. Is this a good sub? What is the difference?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How is the cap?
I mean mixed on a stand alone or a slight mix does it have a funky note to it?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a recipe that I want to try but it calls for VBIC Cap- I only have TFA. Is this a good sub? What is the difference?

I switch between them both all the time, and sometimes even mix them together 50/50.
CAP is maybe more Vanilla-ish and TFA is slightly sweeter, but both are pretty close in taste IMO.
Probably the closest flavors I've found to imitate Ice Cream anyway.
But I like to add 1-2% TFA Dairy Milk to help it along even more.

Oh, and for some reason the CAP seems to need a week or more to get better.
And the TFA only needs a couple days, go figure...

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
How is the cap?

Haven't noticed any weird taste with either one yet.
Although I haven't done any stand alone, but mixing with fruits usually.

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Heabob! I will try the recipe with the TPA- maybe add a little extra vanilla to make up the difference. Appreciate your input :)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How is the cap?

I get a slight funky note with most creamy CAP flavors which seems to vanish in 2-3+ weeks. For me, it's VBIC is no exception.

Ron
---
"The days can go on with regularity over and over, one day indistinguishable from the next. A long continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is a change. "- Travis Bickle

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I get a slight funky note with most creamy CAP flavors which seems to vanish in 2-3+ weeks. For me, it's VBIC is no exception.

Ron
---
"The days can go on with regularity over and over, one day indistinguishable from the next. A long continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is a change. "- Travis Bickle
Some of the creams from cap have put me off on cap.
Some vanilla just sock me between the eyes with a headache.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Ron
---

Sounds like you might like the TFA version better...

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you might like the TFA version better...

I'm usually more inclined, as you, to mix both together. I hope to get the best out of each, or at least a bit of flavor complexity. In addition, I have no problem waiting a month+ or however long it takes for CAP or the mix to age well. ;)

What I need to determine is which or what combo of both might work out the best for me with the addition of the 1.5% TPA Malt and 4.5% NF Malt combination you kindly suggested in the past.

Then I'd need to determine if FA or INW Coconut (or a combo) would suit me best. (for a Coconut Malt juice) I do like both.
Next would be to consider if a bit of Koolada in the mix would be warranted.

Who said DIY was easy? :facepalm:

Ron
---
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."- Kurt Vonnegut

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm usually more inclined, as you, to mix both together. I hope to get the best out of each, or at least a bit of flavor complexity. In addition, I have no problem waiting a month+ or however long it takes for CAP or the mix to age well. ;)

What I need to determine is which or what combo of both might work out the best for me with the addition of the 1.5% TPA Malt and 4.5% NF Malt combination you kindly suggested in the past.

Then I'd need to determine if FA or INW Coconut (or a combo) would suit me best. (for a Coconut Malt juice) I do like both.
Next would be to consider if a bit of Koolada in the mix would be warranted.

Who said DIY was easy? :facepalm:

Ron
---
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."- Kurt Vonnegut

My latest Strawberry Malt v2 (work in progress)
NF Organic Malt 5% (thinking this may need to go higher tho)
CAP VBIC 3% (I've also used TFA VBIC and can't really tell much difference without doing a side by side comparison)
INW Shisha Strawberry 2.5% (may go up to 3% next time)
TFA Dairy Milk 1%
TFA Malted Milk 1%
FA Oba Oba 0.5%

Malt is still kinda hard to detect in this but it was still pretty decent.
VBIC at 4% & Dairy Milk at 2% was too much, and I may even drop them lower next time, as I think they're still hiding the Malt flavor.
I'd for sure mix both FA & INW Coconuts together as FA is a little weak in the taste for me anyway.
Good idea with the Coconut Malt:D

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank You for the NF suggestion amount! While I have the NF, I have not had the chance yet to use it. I did make a 6% TFA VBIC (along with some creams & marshmallow) and 2% TFA Malt. While it was decent, it did not taste malty to me at all.

While a nice vanilla malt would be fine, I believe I would be happier with a different flavored one. Selecting a flavoring, or flavor combination, which would leave enough of a footprint without making the overall total flavor amount too high is something for me to ponder. For example, while I might like say a Butter Pecan (FW) ice cream malt, your valid comments in the "Mixing with butterscotch" thread might mean an overall 20%+ total flavor amount.

Ron
---
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks, Heabob. I've been wanting to buy some VBIC and the place I wanted to order doesn't have CAP VBIC. I'll try the TFA instead.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank You for the NF suggestion amount! While I have the NF, I have not had the chance yet to use it. I did make a 6% TFA VBIC (along with some creams & marshmallow) and 2% TFA Malt. While it was decent, it did not taste malty to me at all.

I found the same thing with TFA Malted Milk, not much Malt taste, NF at least tastes more like Malt to me, just need to find the right amount.

Balancing flavors to be able to taste 2 or 3 things at once is quite a challenge.
Keep adding other things, or higher amounts, then you need more of something else because it got covered up.
I can see how easy it would be to end up with 20% flavoring, lol.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I switch between them both all the time, and sometimes even mix them together 50/50.
CAP is maybe more Vanilla-ish and TFA is slightly sweeter, but both are pretty close in taste IMO.
Probably the closest flavors I've found to imitate Ice Cream anyway.
But I like to add 1-2% TFA Dairy Milk to help it along even more.

Oh, and for some reason the CAP seems to need a week or more to get better.
And the TFA only needs a couple days, go figure...
Completely agree. Cap really doesn't start to shine until after you steep your juice for 1-2 weeks. If you leave it for a month, it's amazing.

TFA is great for sweeter and short steep recipes, but doesn't do well on its own. I usually add some milk or Bavarian Cream or Vanilla Swirl depending on the recipe.

Heabob, just trying to quote you m8, but I'm not sure how to do that thru Tapatalk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors