Become a Patron!

Vape hitting harsh

Shladis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I posted before asking about an ego that I had, and I mentioned I bought a mystery box that gave me a random mod, RDA or RDTA, and a Battery. Turns out I got a Praxis SS clone mod, along with a style of mojo nucleus RDA. I've been vaping on it for a few hit, and no matter what I do it hits harsh, and burns the back of my throat. Keep in mind I'm using non nicotine VG based juice. I had my cotton set up by a guy running a vape shop so I'm assuming the setup is fine. I was just wondering what the problem could be. Maybe I just need to get used to it?

Note: I'm using a 18650 battery at 4.1 volts, and have tried it when it was at 3.7 volts.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What flavor is the juice?
If it is a citrus based juice or a mint/cinnamon, it could be why it's hurting your throat.
Often these flavors of liquids can have a throat hit until you get used to the flavor.

Shladis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What flavor is the juice?
If it is a citrus based juice or a mint/cinnamon, it could be why it's hurting your throat.
Often these flavors of liquids can have a throat hit until you get used to the flavor.
It's a blueberry juice, and I figured out that as long as I take short drags but with a lot of force I can get really good smoke out of it without the burning. Is it possibly just because I was dragging for too long? I was trying to drag on it as if it were a hookah pretty much. But sometimes when I fine tune how it's screwed on it'll burn the second I begin dragging. So at the moment, anytime I mess with the set up I have to go through this trial and error to make it so I can do my quick forceful drags.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a blueberry juice, and I figured out that as long as I take short drags but with a lot of force I can get really good smoke out of it without the burning. Is it possibly just because I was dragging for too long? I was trying to drag on it as if it were a hookah pretty much. But sometimes when I fine tune how it's screwed on it'll burn the second I begin dragging. So at the moment, anytime I mess with the set up I have to go through this trial and error to make it so I can do my quick forceful drags.

My first thought is that your "pro" wicked it too tight but before I go placing blame,what are your coil specs?

Shladis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first thought is that your "pro" wicked it too tight but before I go placing blame,what are your coil specs?
uhh not even sure tbh I just paid him $4 and he did it for me with all the materials and everything. Heres some pics of the wick and the juice I'm using.
20150627_182252.jpg 20150627_195331.jpg 20150627_195403.jpg

Attachments

• 20150627_195414.jpg
    20150627_195414.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 7

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your cotton looks burnt. Burnt cotton does not taste good... You have to keep it wet in a dripper. I tend to pull the cap on my drippers every couple puffs to make sure.

Shladis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your cotton looks burnt. Burnt cotton does not taste good... You have to keep it wet in a dripper. I tend to pull the cap on my drippers every couple puffs to make sure.
Yeah I've been checking it every 3 drags, then I add a little more juice every 6-7 puffs. It's been hitting harsh even before it started looking burned. Also it still tastes perfectly fine

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I've burnt my cotton, it's been a harsh vape. I could still taste the juice, but it was harsh and had a burnt taste. I am fairly new to drippers myself though...

Shladis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I've burnt my cotton, it's been a harsh vape. I could still taste the juice, but it was harsh and had a burnt taste. I am fairly new to drippers myself though...
I'll definitely have the cotton replaced the, and see if it helps. Thanks!

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problem, hope you get it figured out.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
uhh not even sure tbh I just paid him $4 and he did it for me with all the materials and everything. Heres some pics of the wick and the juice I'm using.
View attachment 23548 View attachment 23549 View attachment 23550
Coil specs are something that you need to be paying attention to regardless of who builds it. Even more so on an unregulated mod.
for one,it isn't his fingers and face on the the line and for two,we can't help you identify the problem without this info.
Just for an example,that could be a 22g nichrome single or it could be a 24g kanthal single. It's hard to tell from a pic.
there is a HUGE difference in power usage between the two regardless of the batts max outward and the mods volt drop.
Just some quick math but with 9-10 wraps @ 3mm,there's roughly a 1.5ohm difference between the two.
my advice to you is do a little research and invest in a cheap reader.
get a basic understanding of ohms law and build it yourself if for nothing more than your own personal well being.
be safe.
cheers,

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Coil specs are something that you need to be paying attention to regardless of who builds it. Even more so on an unregulated mod.
for one,it isn't his fingers and face on the the line and for two,we can't help you identify the problem without this info.
Just for an example,that could be a 22g nichrome single or it could be a 24g kanthal single. It's hard to tell from a pic.
there is a HUGE difference in power usage between the two regardless of the batts max outward and the mods volt drop.
Just some quick math but with 9-10 wraps @ 3mm,there's roughly a 1.5ohm difference between the two.
get a basic understanding of ohms law and build it yourself if for nothing more than your own personal well being.
be safe.
cheers,
This and rewick it.

Shladis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
be safe.
cheers,
I believe he mentioned something about Kanthal, and I rewicked it(watched a youtube vid on how) and it doesnt hit harsh anymore. I did switch over to a 3mg nicotine juice at the same time from cloudsauce. But I will definitely look into replacing my own coils so I'm safe. Also I heard that it possibly may have been some residue from the factory seeing as to how I, being stupid, didn't clean it thoroughly. Thanks for all the tips though guys! I think the problem was partially the wick, inexperience using an RDA, and possibly because I didn't clean it. But as I said it only hits harsh(by harsh I mean it just burn my throat a bit) when I drag on it for more than 5-6 seconds.

Pegasus Vape

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
[QUOTE=" I've been vaping on it for a few hit, and no matter what I do it hits harsh, and burns the back of my throat. Keep in mind I'm using non nicotine VG based juice. I had my cotton set up by a guy running a vape shop so I'm assuming the setup is fine. .[/QUOTE]

Just a thought, if you haven't tried a different juice since this problem has been going on, maybe pick something up real quick, another flavor you like besides blueberry- something clear in color too- and it may be that particular juice that is causing the issue. I've purchased various juices that just simply taste burnt after a series of hits, likely to do with the flavoring the manufacturers of that juice use. Blueberry in particular since it's so often mixed dark; whether that be flavoring or added coloring, either will make a generally very harsh hit after just a little while.. something must build up/collect in your vape that vapes differently.... that is if this theory is sound.... anyway best of luck hope it gets resolved!

happy vaping

VU Sponsors