Become a Patron!

Vape newbie - my vape still not strong enough ?

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi
This sounds a silly question here. I've managed to master squonking, built my own deck(s). Getting huge clouds - but...
It's not strong enough ! I'm still rolling cigs in between vapes.
I have a liquid that I love (butterscotch custard) at 1.8 concentration but I don't feel anything on the 'draw' if you know what I mean ?
Yes, I've tailed off the air supply setting vents down a lot to get more of a draw?
I thought 1.8 is about the strongest ?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi
This sounds a silly question here. I've managed to master squonking, built my own deck(s). Getting huge clouds - but...
It's not strong enough ! I'm still rolling cigs in between vapes.
I have a liquid that I love (butterscotch custard) at 1.8 concentration but I don't feel anything on the 'draw' if you know what I mean ?
Yes, I've tailed off the air supply setting vents down a lot to get more of a draw?
I thought 1.8 is about the strongest ?
depends what device and builds you are using but in general if you want more throat hit use a higher PG juice. huge clouds come from VG, throat hit comes from PG so a 50/50 mix would suit you best.

also if you are looking for the smoking experience a MTL atomizer would probably suit you best. using an RDA squonker with huge clouds isn't the best "cigarette simulator" to help quit. it's more of something you upgrade to later on

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The other thing you can try assuming you have the right build is upping the temp for a warmer vape this often provides the feeling of a bigger hit

Agree with ant on everything apart from the MTL front if you are DL and not getting the hit doubt MTL will help you could try upping nic though as well try not to go to high on sub ohm

Also could try upping flavour concentrates if you DIY more clouds tend to produce muted flavour especially high VG

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using dripbox 160, velocity mini clone.
I did my own build clapton coils x 2 - 0.26 guage, janonese cotton.
Mod reads 0.55 ohm( assume this is 2 x 0.275), running at 37 watts...
Not bad for a 62 year old !!!
It's only my 3rd build !

Jasonrecio

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1.8 is not the strongest,I vape 2.4 all day and some times 3.6 for 2 years now cig free. And yes I subohm my rda and tanks.

San Antonio,Texas

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
First of all - 1.8 what? 1.8 percent or 1.8 mg/ml? That's a huge difference in nic concentration.

A lot of beginners have to learn to vape enough. You don't just grab a few quick draws of e-cig gear and get an instant buzz as with a cigarette. You may simply not be vaping enough yet to get to a satisfactory nic level.

And again - this isn't the same as smoking or simply a matter of replacing nicotine with nicotine. You will go through some quit smoking withdrawal. So don't make access to cigarettes easy - put them some place where you have to get up and go get one if you really want it. You might be surprised at the number of times you can avoid a cigarette - if you have to get up and get one while your vape gear is right at hand.

Don't sweat the process either. It took me 3 months to completely lose a 30 year smoking addiction. The bottom line will be: you have to want to do it. People who don't have or can't find the motivation to quit just won't - even with vaping.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You know. That was a wonderful comment and worthy of archive.
As a newbie vaper, you have answered many of my unspoken enquiries and worries.

I suppose I could compare this to reality of a smoker trying to stop...

1. Awful patches
2. Awful mouth ulcer gum
3. Awful pills
4. Awful inhalers
5. VAPE - ah - best solution anyway !

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First of all - 1.8 what? 1.8 percent or 1.8 mg/ml? That's a huge difference in nic concentration.

A lot of beginners have to learn to vape enough. You don't just grab a few quick draws of e-cig gear and get an instant buzz as with a cigarette. You may simply not be vaping enough yet to get to a satisfactory nic level.

And again - this isn't the same as smoking or simply a matter of replacing nicotine with nicotine. You will go through some quit smoking withdrawal. So don't make access to cigarettes easy - put them some place where you have to get up and go get one if you really want it. You might be surprised at the number of times you can avoid a cigarette - if you have to get up and get one while your vape gear is right at hand.

Don't sweat the process either. It took me 3 months to completely lose a 30 year smoking addiction. The bottom line will be: you have to want to do it. People who don't have or can't find the motivation to quit just won't - even with vaping.
My experience is a little different from yours. For more than 20 years I had been smoking ~16 normal cigarettes per day. That was up until 8 weeks ago, which is when I started vaping (Wismec Reuleaux RX2/3 and Wotofo The Troll RDA 2 equipped with dual coils: fused clapton using 25.5ga Kanthal and 36ga Nichrome80 @ 8 wraps per coil and 2.5mm inner diameter which ohm'd out at .3 Ohms and was vaping them at 80 Watts). The only cigarette I have touched since that particular day was when I thought my e-cig was broken because the display on it went dark each time when I pressed the fire button... This happend to me on my 3rd day of my vaping life. The [normal] cigarette tasted almost like burnt trash (no joke), and the stench it spread into my room was even far worse than that. Next, about an hour later all of a sudden I remembered having read about the stealth mode in the user manual of my e-cig so found out the cause of the problem was I had put the thing in that mode by accident. :oops: Took a few puffs, then a few more, and still more until I could barely see what was on TV anymore. NEVER going back to smoking, and in fact even bought a 2nd e-cig (Reuleaux RX300 and a Goon RDA)... mainly just in case some day it might decide to break (for real this time). :bliss:

Last edited:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Well yeah, there's that too. lol

For a lot of us when we are in the switching over phase smoking goes real gross, real fast. After being married to cigarettes for 30 years and believing I could never quit... sure as hell didn't see that coming. For us, smoking a cigarette becomes it's own worst negative reinforcement.

That in itself still isn't enough for smokers with heavier habits than yours. Morning cravings can be brutal for heavy smokers. So, you get that will power rolled up and just try vaping first - chain vaping the bejeezers out of that thing. If that still doesn't cut it you can always have the cigarette. There are no epic fails here, unlike with the ACS quit smoking program guidelines where one cigarette equals total failure. This is a process, and it's different for every person. We don't kick you out of the community support group for admitting you smoked a cigarette.

One thing I did for about my first 4 months was to use two different nic levels. In the morning I headed straight for my higher nic level - no questions asked. The rest of the day I was ok on my lower nic level. But if I was having a craving fit the tank with the higher nic level was right there.

Flexibility in this process - it's a good thing.

4f37ae2e795f8abd256f1c1e60067164.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With an RDA if you get a bottle of 3mg/ml and another one of 6mg/ml (same flavor, different nic level) you can adjust your nic level pretty much instantaneously by simply deciding the number of drops that you take from each bottle each time when you drip. Just be sure to drip the 6mg first, the 3mg second... or else it won't mix itself properly so that the higher nic one will then tend to float atop the lower nic one and scratches your thorax on the exhale like sandpaper. Another useful tip IMO is to get a drip stick or an empty bottle and premix your juice into that one, get it to the nic level that you tend to use most often. Doing that will keep you from the extra hassle of having to drip from two separate bottles each and every single time. Whenever I want to chain vape I use 3mg (you can decide to use less if you get a bottle of 0mg in addition to whatever nic level... and that also will enable you to make the nic level of what's in your RDA go down enough fast / using less drops so you don't easily tend to overdrip your RDA... and/or choose an RDA with deep juice wells, also so you don't overdrip). This is how I keep myself from getting nic sick whilst I chain vape, and how I up the nic level of my RDA if I get cravings for nic. Craving for nic is not the same thing as wanting to chain vape. The latter being more of a stress reaction or wanting to keep tasting the vape.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You guys have been so useful on here.
I had a lot of questions at the back of my mind that you guys actually hit on. This is a GREAT forum

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
5. VAPE - ah - best solution anyway !
This is the important one. I still miss the nasty throat hit of burning plant matter but I'll live longer with out it.

What he said. The higher the Nic the more throat hit. 1.8mg is considered low but 18 mg/ml is high and will give a harsher vape but may make you nic sick. That said if it's 1.8mg try upping the nic, when I first started I used 24 - 18 nic even on an RDA but now I'm down to 3. Being that your still smoking you may want to try a higher nic.

Last edited:

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aha.
Just ordered a 3 mg/ml similar flavour today.
Thanks everyone for a very mindful discussion.
As a newbie, I have found this ( the vapeingunderground site) to be an inspiration to stop the cigarettes x

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Aha.
As a newbie, I have found this ( the vapeingunderground site) to be an inspiration to stop the cigarettes x
I used 24mg nic for the first couple months when I quit smoking, anything less and I was thinking about smokes. I went down to 18mg after a couple months and vaped that for about a month, then to 12mg, now I've been at 6-10mg nic for the last couple years in every atty, regardless of the wattage.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Aha.

When I gave up I started at 3mg myself was on 20 cigs a day ..was good for me there with sub ohming especially as I found i chain vaped more at the start to avoid the cravings. If I had anymore I was spinning like a gooden lol but everyone is different as inspects pointed out above me ...

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aha.
Don't be afraid of going higher on nicotine level to stop the cravings. You may need 6mg or higher. Like has been mentioned, everyone is different. For me, I started subhom with 6 mg and found the cravings were high so went to 12mg and have stayed with that for a month with a tank of 6mg that I grab off and on through the day. The most important thing is I'm not smoking so if higher nicotine works thats what I'll do and reduce the level with time.

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still at 12. I find that several shops only go up to 6mg now so I bought a liter of 100mg VG from MFS. The conversion with 100mg is easy. If you have a 30ml bottle of 6mg juice just add 2ml of 100 to make it 12.
Sorry for all the numbers.

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm still at 12. I find that several shops only go up to 6mg now so I bought a liter of 100mg VG from MFS. The conversion with 100mg is easy. If you have a 30ml bottle of 6mg juice just add 2ml of 100 to make it 12.
Sorry for all the numbers.

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.

Very useful. As a newbie, I didn't realise you could buy nicotine fluid !

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I gave up I started at 3mg myself was on 20 cigs a day ..was good for me there with sub ohming especially as I found i chain vaped more at the start to avoid the cravings. If I had anymore I was spinning like a gooden lol but everyone is different as inspects pointed out above me ...

Great knowledge - thanks

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't be afraid of going higher on nicotine level to stop the cravings. You may need 6mg or higher. Like has been mentioned, everyone is different. For me, I started subhom with 6 mg and found the cravings were high so went to 12mg and have stayed with that for a month with a tank of 6mg that I grab off and on through the day. The most important thing is I'm not smoking so if higher nicotine works thats what I'll do and reduce the level with time.

Again, I'm finding this info very useful

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very useful. As a newbie, I didn't realise you could buy nicotine fluid !
No worries. We were all newbies once and things change so much you'll never stop learning or know it all. At least I don't. LoL

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've been using 6mg since day one. I tried cutting down to 3mg and found I was vaping continuously, not that that's a bad thing. I like the taste of the 0mg in the sample tanks at the vape shop way better than what I'm getting with the 6mg stuff. They have the exact same tank, coil and use the same wattage I use. It's just the nic that alters the taste and throat hit so much. I'm going to start watering down my juice slowly with a lower nic juice in the same flavour. In any case maybe the OP is using too little nic to satisfy. More nic also increases the throat hit somewhat. I think 9mg juice works OK in sub-ohm setups.

VU Sponsors