Become a Patron!

Vape/RDA is too hot!

TheBloodyNine

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
*Edit* - Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I'll leave it here for now, but if it belongs in the "Builders Corner" section, feel free to move it. I posted here because I'm definitely a noob, lol.

Hey guys,

I've made a few posts here but I'm new. I've been sub ohming for quite a while, but I recently bought my first RDA. It's a wotofo recurve dual. I did my build on it using the coils it came with. which are wotofo branded N80 28x4+36 .26 ohm quad core fused claptons. They are 3mm coils, and the cotton I'm using is the "Cotn" brand threads. They are the shoe laced cotton strands that are exactly 3mm to fit the coils.

The problem is, I either vape it around 50 watts and it produces spitback constantly and doesn't produce much vapor. If I turn it up to around 80 watts, it's super hot. Like hot enough to burn my lips, and I'm using the added drip tip thats longer than stubby one that comes on it. I don't know much about the voltage, resistance, ohms etc. in relation to building on a RDA. I know the basics of how ohms work, but that's about it.
The coils are reading 0.13
The voltage is 2.96
and the amps are reading 0.00

As you can tell, I don't know much about any of this. Can anyone give me suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? Not to brag or anything, but I did a good job with the simple build and wicking I believe. The coils didn't appear to have any hot spots or anything when I dry burned them, and stroked them with my ceramic tweezers (before threading the cotton in). Forgive me, I don't know all the correct terminology. I don't think there's any issue there.

Any ideas?

Here's a pic or two of the deck.

https://i.imgur.com/p2IVtHf.jpg

https://imgur.com/MoeNujT

https://imgur.com/k9KHrLG

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Higher resistance, lower watts
Lower mass; faster ramp; lower watts
larger diameter; fewer loops; more wet wick; more wicking; less dryhit

www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

Regardless your atty/coil: 80w is gonna' get hot - used or not yer pumping power into an enclosed space.

TheBloodyNine

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Higher resistance, lower watts
Lower mass; faster ramp; lower watts
larger diameter; fewer loops; more wet wick; more wicking; less dryhit

www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

Regardless your atty/coil: 80w is gonna' get hot - used or not yer pumping power into an enclosed space.

Yeah, I figure it will get hot. I should have mentioned but it's technically not the first RDA that I've used before. I owned one several years ago, but I didn't do the build on it. I used it for about two weeks and went back to a sub ohm tank, but I could vape it around 80 watts and it would get pretty hot, but still usable, and it had a metal drip tip on it. This one is clear plastic, or some type of resin or something. I wouldn't think it would transfer heat as much. This thing get's so hot that it WILL burn, and the weird thing is that the heat comes out of nowhere. It'll be cool, and then it's slightly warm, and then scalding. All within a second.

Maybe that's just how RDAs are, but I don't remember having any issues with heat before. I thought maybe I needed to adjust some settings on my mod or something.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe that's just how RDAs are, but I don't remember having any issues with heat before. I thought maybe I needed to adjust some settings on my mod or something.

You might want to try a stainless steel build rather than nichrome. For me, it seems that nichrome does heat quick and unevenly. This means it'll set and draw wattage, then suddenly decide to heat, wait a little then surge in heat.

Stainless steel might seem to take just a few seconds to warm, for me it isn't noticeably any longer than nichrome "ramp up". When it gets hot though it levels out to a nice moderate heat, cools quickly once it stops drawing watts.

You might also try dropping to 65 to 70 watts and see if that helps moderate the heat. Something I find really helping me is using the K.I.S.S method (Keep It Simple Simon). Everyone finds their own way though, I'm sure you will too. :)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Coval51

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I know this is probably a dumb question, but you said you tried it at 50 watts and got spitback, you tried it at 80 watts and it was too hot. Well, that's a 30 watt difference, that's a huge change in power. Have you tried it a 55 watts, 60 watts, 65 watts, 70 watts, 75 watts??? It's much better to make small changes than to damn near double the power in one shot. Go up from 50 watts in 5 watt increments until it stops spitting and is at a temperature that you are comfortable with. It's all part of learning the vape game...you'll get there. I'm betting if you put 65 watts to those coils you'll get a nice vape.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
A little more wick in the coils could prevent spitback, as well as lower them if you can maintain good AF.

TheBloodyNine

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I know this is probably a dumb question, but you said you tried it at 50 watts and got spitback, you tried it at 80 watts and it was too hot. Well, that's a 30 watt difference, that's a huge change in power. Have you tried it a 55 watts, 60 watts, 65 watts, 70 watts, 75 watts??? It's much better to make small changes than to damn near double the power in one shot. Go up from 50 watts in 5 watt increments until it stops spitting and is at a temperature that you are comfortable with. It's all part of learning the vape game...you'll get there. I'm betting if you put 65 watts to those coils you'll get a nice vape.

I did try some wattage in between 50 and 80. 60-70 and I still got some spitback, and wasn't producing much vapor/flavor (other than the flavor of the spitback) so I jumped it up to 80.

I'm in the process of messing around with it right now, and trying a few things including the suggestions here.

I'll report back soon.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
How is the airflow set on your RDA? More air will cool the vapor and the cap off some.

Also check the alignment of your coils and be sure they aren't too close to the top cap.

You might be better off to buy a pair of 0.6 ohm coils (Nichrome or Stainless) that will vape at 0.3 ohms when you install the pair in the Recurve.

I've been vaping for 8 years but I could not do 0.13 ohms at 80 watts. No way.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might be better off to buy a pair of 0.6 ohm coils (Nichrome or Stainless) that will vape at 0.3 ohms when you install the pair in the Recurve.
I've been vaping for 8 years but I could not do 0.13 ohms at 80 watts. No way.

.25 or lower gets far too hot for me, and drains the battery charge/volts too quick. I like between .30 to .50. :) Think a bunch of us are a .30 gang. *chuckles*

VU Sponsors