Vape store employee is going to get someone hurt

Discussion in 'What NOT to do!' started by Fudgey Finger, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Fudgey Finger

Fudgey Finger Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I was just in my local vape shop and I couldn't believe what the employee was saying. I asked if they had any LG hb's and he said all they have is Sony batteries. He asked me why I would want the LG's and my response was that they have a higher CDR.

He then started telling me that the pulse rating is what matters, "because we pulse when we vape". I asked him to define a pulse and he told me a pulse is 2 seconds. He said "like a vtc5 has a 20a rating but the pulse rating is 80a so you can safely use it at 80a". I then asked him what about if there was a malfunction in the mod or the fire button was inadvertently held down. "Well you will vent a battery". Then he told me "everyone around here uses pulse ratings and uses an 80a limit on these batteries". I replied "well then someone around here is going to get hurt".

I am pretty disgusted that this guy is reccomending this stuff to his customers without any idea what they do or don't know about vaping safety. The worst part is the owner of the store was sitting there silently listening to the whole conversation.

I've never liked the thought of FDA regs, but damn this makes me think it might be for the best if this is what shop workers are reccomending. This same shop worker has given me really bad information in the past too that was thankfully corrected on this forum.

There is another worker in the shop as well, that a few weeks ago when I was considering buying a mech, was bragging about building at 0.05 on a single battery mech. He then started bragging saying "I've vented 13 batteries and look, I still have all of my fingers and teeth. You just need to be ready to throw the mod if you hear it start to hiss".

I just had to share this. Maybe I'm misinformed and there is nothing wrong with the reccomendations these guys are giving out, but I doubt it. Idiots like this are what will kill vaping. I'm certainly not going to buy anything from them again.

The store is vapeology in Bangor, Maine. Thankfully there is another shop down the road.

2. Raymcconn

Raymcconn Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I would be using the other shop, probably would of started a few weeks ago after the first worker was bragging about venting batteries. Dumb asses.

3. KarmicRage

KarmicRage Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Sounds a bit spurious like. I didn't think the pulse rating was that high either :/ I think you're right to question his advice as if he gave it to an unthinking vaper then he could cause someone serious trouble. I know the advice on here is that the CDR is a guideline as we do use the pulse ability but I would think for those that like a good long draw that would be questionable. I'm not entirely sure but I wouldn't take his advice at face value.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Carambrda, Fudgey Finger and Letitia9 like this.
  4. Teresa P

Teresa P Professional DIY Enabler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    How dare he downplay such a serious situation....sounds like you may be seeing him in that shop soon and he'll be missing a few teeth and fingers. :mad:

5. bobnat

bobnat VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    The human race is the only species in which its stupid not only live to adulthood, but then reproduce. Every other stupid thing in the world gets eaten before maturing. The human race succeeds in spite of itself.

6. KarmicRage

KarmicRage Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I can't remember who said it but my uncle always quotes this person saying "the only things that are infinite in life are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former" :D just go poke around YouTube and you'll see there alot of evidence of the latter haha

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

JAField1969, Gavlan, DonBaldy and 5 others like this.
  7. tripleheadkick78

tripleheadkick78 Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    The thing is, most vape shop owners dont even have an idea of what will be safe for the customer, dont know basic ohms law and battery safety. So if they get to employ someone who is as dumbass like the guy who vented 13 batteries, then we are in serious trouble. It is quite alarming especially the first rime vapers that will come to that shop. Owners just there for the money without genuine concerns about customer safety.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

8. Teresa P

Teresa P Professional DIY Enabler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately that is sometimes true. And it's the difference between hiring someone with the knowledge to actually sell a product in a safe manner versus hiring someone to run a cash register.

9. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Couldn’t have said more eloquently myself Bob :D

Erm what he said

Gavlan, KarmicRage, Carambrda and 2 others like this.
  10. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    What was the store in question Fudgey?

Carambrda and Neunerball like this.
  11. Neunerball

Neunerball Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I agree with all that's been mentioned! The safest way to go is the CDR. However, it's not too far fetched though, that one might use the pulse rating. The problem though is, that a drag is usually more than 2 seconds. I know that, due to the tweaking of my DNA mods, hooked up to my PC, and monitoring via the device manager. Most of my drags were at least 3 seconds long. Of course, a person that hasn't smoked as much as I did, would take an even longer drag.

David Wolf, KarmicRage and karacal like this.
  12. Fudgey Finger

Blog Posts:
    Vapeology in Bangor, Maine
    This has always been my favorite shop and where I got my first starter kit, but it's all online shops for me now.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

13. Fudgey Finger

Blog Posts:
    I agree. I go over my cells CDR, but only because I have done my homework and then made that decision. The problem lies with them telling anyone off the street that it is ok to draw 80 amps from an 18650.

14. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    @Fudgey Finger
    Yes, it would be nice to know the store! If it doesn't exist already, we should have a "black list" of stores, that give ill advice to vapers.

KarmicRage and karacal like this.
  15. Fudgey Finger

Blog Posts:
    I've posted the name twice in this thread

karacal and KingPin! like this.
  16. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    Once! :) I only noticed it in post #12 Vapeology in Bangor, Maine
    I still wonder, if there's a sticky thread listing all those black sheeps, passing misinformation to new/unexperienced vapor's.

17. Fudgey Finger

Blog Posts:
    twice. Look at the last line of my op.

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  18. pulsevape

pulsevape Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if these guys give lessons on the proper technique of juggeling chainsaws as well.

MyMagicMist, Gavlan, karacal and 2 others like this.
  19. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    I think, it might be the time to either have longer arms, or use reading glasses. :giggle:

KarmicRage likes this.
  20. Neunerball

Blog Posts:
    Or building a pipe bomb. :giggle:

MyMagicMist and KarmicRage like this.
  21. pulsevape

pulsevape Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Look I've been building pipe bombs for years and I have all the fingers.....on my left hand.....who needs two hands anyway...

22. UncleRJ

UncleRJ Will write reviews for Beer! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Good Lord The idiots are just begging to be brought up on charges.

Pulse my ass. My finger is on the trigger for like 5 seconds or even more!

23. voicenyerhed

voicenyerhed Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    That would be with reckless abandon. Duh

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

karacal likes this.
  24. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Tell um your sending Donnie Baker up there if they don't straighten up.

25. Zohmbiebuilds

Zohmbiebuilds Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Fudge, I know how you feel. We have 5 stores I can mostly walk to.. one guy is in AA and calls himself a mod tech.. I actually think he is the mod tech at the closest store. He proceeds to tell me they only sell poopfest and mxblow batteries. He also tells me that I need to build lower and the reason his store sells only single battery mechs are there safer to build low. He also tells me that there are only 5 squonkable RDAs available.

I honestly cannot stand the place. I hate it. Not to mention every and I do mean every store here sells at a 200% markup rate. They won't hire me because I'm the guy that might just honestly know a little bit about what I'm talking about and don't just run my chops about shit I don't know about.. I understand, I listed more than I talk but when I get to hearing too much bullshit, let alone bullshit that can hurt someone, I fucking say something.

We need to make a list of all these stores, name the mother fuckers. That way we can hold them accountable for unforseen/ foreseen damages.

Guys LETS HOLD THESE STORES ACCOUNTABLE.

Mods please make a section where we can start listing these stores by state and city

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

26. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Probably a lot easier to just make a list of stores that do give proper battery advice.

27. NineNine

NineNine Bronze Contributor Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Unbelievable.

28. Big Bair

Big Bair New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

29. Hype

Hype Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!! The product of inbreeding has moved into the vaping world !!! We're screwed !! A beating could resolve that idiot's point of view , but why bother ? Natural selection has it's ways , dubious ones , but effective ...

KarmicRage likes this.
  30. SteveS45

SteveS45 Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    At least the guy in shop has a limited amount of people he can endanger not like some of the self proclaimed experts with only a few months of vaping experience who are advising people on the forums.

Hype, CrazyChef v2.0 and r055co like this.
  31. Fudgey Finger

Blog Posts:
    Yeah but at least here on the forums there are people who can jump in and correct the claimed expert and tell people the advice is bad, therefore educating everyone. In this vape store people are listening to the employee and believing that he knows what he is talking about.

SpectoVia and karacal like this.
  32. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Sure I agree there but there are also many enablers who for whatever reason don't!

St.Roostifer likes this.
  33. Wu-Tangcl

Wu-Tangcl New Member

Blog Posts:
    @topic starter,
    This is definetly not an incident and not limted to the US,

I am from the Netherlands and was in a store recently that had no clue on amps either.

Looking for a good set of batterys also and the guy actually told me that the amp rating tells you how long the battery's last.
    the higher the rating the longer they will last.
    I told him that even though I'm new to vaping but experience on battery's through RC hobby,
    that the Mah is the capacity on the battery and depending on how high wattage you vape thats how long you battery's will last.
    I even calculated it to him on a piece of paper.

He just looked me straight in the eyes and said if you know so much about it, then why you come asking me?
    Then he said to buy my battery's elsewhere and he will continue to inform customers who actually want to know the truth...

I just left after that....

34. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    This is what I would have done:
    [​IMG]

35. St.Roostifer

St.Roostifer Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    After reading the comments in this thread, I feel even better about the shop I frequent.

I do wonder how shops hire such ignorant people. These aren't battery operated trinkets were playing with. I have been to a few other places where I could tell the person behind the counter was a deer caught in the headlights.

Vape Fan and Wu-Tangcl like this.
  36. SavageCheef

SavageCheef New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sheesh, that guy is setting his store up to be sued. Hopefully you've done your homework and realized that no 18650 battery manufactured is 80A.

37. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    There already are plenty of places on the Net and Social Media for this and if you had been into Vaping for more than a couple of months you might be familiar with them.

38. Zohmbiebuilds

Zohmbiebuilds Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I only care that I'm if cigarettes now. Your probably right. I would. Maybe when I get a year under my belt I'll magically know much more.

Why do you find it necessary to downplay people brother. Owell. I think it would be much more helpful and friendly to pm me and let me know that places. But, I've learned quite alot in my time vaping and am extremely thankful.

Have a great day

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

St.Roostifer likes this.
  39. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    All the experiences you claim to have had must be magical.

40. fozzy71

fozzy71 Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I would be blowing up their facebook page and emailing (or better yet talking face to face with) the owner to tell him you are never coming back and will be telling everyone on forums and social media to avoid them as well.

SteveS45 likes this.
  41. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Now there is a definite solution to a problem. Like when the employee at a vape shop near me was playing with a figget spinner and did not take the time to look if he had what I was looking to purchase. I went back and spoke to his Boss personally, telling him what he lost in sales along with the future sales for the coils. Also made a point of telling the boss if his employee is using that stupid shit while dealing with me he is going to be paying for a Workers Compensation Case for it to be removed from his rectum!

Theserialvapist and fozzy71 like this.
  42. fozzy71

fozzy71 Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    yep, voting with your wallet is great but if you don't let upper management know (and maybe even show them receipts from other places you bought afterwards) it doesn't help correct the issue, and prevent other's from getting bad or dangerous advice.

SteveS45 likes this.
  43. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I did more than just show him the receipt and his employee is prohibited from using that ridiculous piece of shit while at work!

fozzy71 likes this.
  44. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Like I stated previously there is more danger from some of the really bad advice I see online than the few in a local shop.

fozzy71 likes this.
  45. LokiM

LokiM New Member

Blog Posts:
    whoa! iv'e experienced something like this. i was out to my aunt's place. then my coil died on me and didn't brought my tools with me so i decided to have it build on the nearest shop. i talked to the guy and asked him to build for me, then he asked me what wire to use how many loops etc, luckily i know my stuff. then i started to question him if there's someone going to buy without any knowledge of vaping and wanting to switch what would he do. then he told me he would build him something that produces big clouds. and i was like wtf? that should be around 0.2ohms and building that stuff on a newbie without experience that's looking for trouble.

EDIT:
    btw most of the shops in my country do the samething they're in it for the clouds.

St.Roostifer likes this.
  46. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
  47. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes push seven seconds. Usually, I will not try to go over ten. Do too much of that though and it starts draining off the battery too quickly. *sigh* Then, I need to swap out batteries to keep vaping.

48. Matty Vapes

Matty Vapes Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    jeez

49. David Wolf

David Wolf Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I think the Consumer Product Safety Commison should handle vaping battery safety efforts, the same way they do other batteries and the FDA should stay the hell out of it, they know nothing about batteries or vaping. :)

50. David Wolf

David Wolf Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    This “we” doesn’t use pulse ratings and I don’t recommend that anyone do that.

KingPin! and Fudgey Finger like this.