Become a Patron!

Vape tasting bad even though it’s brand new

I bought a Reuleaux rx mini a couple weeks ago and I watched a video on what to do to start and I primed it and let it sit. But it tastes bad I don’t know what to do I haven’t but changed the settings minus the wattage. Can someone help?

bluedodger

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi Tyj1999

Couple of questions. What kind of e-juice are you using? What is the atomizer resistance and what wattage are you vaping at?

Like what brand of e juice? I bought it from eliquid depot but other people have tried it and said it’s fine
The resistance is : 0.05-1.5ohm for TC modes 0.1-3.5ohm for VW/Bypass mode. Had to look it up I’m a beginner
I started vaping pretty low at like 10-20 but it still tasted bad

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Juice is like food when it comes to taste

Something I love might taste like ass to you and vice versa

The resistances you are listing are not the actual resistance of the coil you are using! You are just reading the ohms (resistance) your mod will fire.

The mod will tell you the resistance of the coil on the screen next to the ohm symbol, which looks kinda like a horseshoe, only rounder

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
What Lucy said, finding the juice that tastes right is often the most time consuming part about vaping. It'll probably take ya a while, and you'll find a lot of juice that tastes like garbage, but then you'll find something that does you right.

Welcome to VU, nice to meet ya :wave:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a Reuleaux rx mini a couple weeks ago and I watched a video on what to do to start and I primed it and let it sit. But it tastes bad I don’t know what to do I haven’t but changed the settings minus the wattage. Can someone help?
What kind of tank are you using? And does it taste bad in that it's just a bad flavor, or does it taste burnt?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First thing that popped in my head was you're tasting cotton from a new coil. It can take a while for the coil to break in. Just a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My suggestion is start with some unflavored juice.... learn to use the mod... get it vaping good then try something flavored.....and adjust from there.

I don't think you have a juice issue at all... just a basic lack of understanding about the device you are using...

Start at 20 to 30 watts is OK unless your using a coil that works best at lower wattage.. even if the coil wants morewatts. You can still burn the wick using too low a power.. just because of how much longer you might have to fire to get a vape..

Heck if you are in TC mode that too could result in but lent wicks even at low power... if the mod thinks you are using a different material for the coil than actual...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO it just sounds like the juice, just because it's popular with others doesn't mean you'll like it. For example Milkman and Unicorns Puke was very popular and still is. To me all Milkman juice tastes like soap and Unicorns Puke tastes like a shitty diaper.

Change your juice

My suggestion is start with some unflavored juice.... learn to use the mod... get it vaping good then try something flavored.....and adjust from there.

I don't think you have a juice issue at all... just a basic lack of understanding about the device you are using...

Start at 20 to 30 watts is OK unless your using a coil that works best at lower wattage.. even if the coil wants morewatts. You can still burn the wick using too low a power.. just because of how much longer you might have to fire to get a vape..

Heck if you are in TC mode that too could result in but lent wicks even at low power... if the mod thinks you are using a different material for the coil than actual...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Thank you it might be that I’m really new to vaping and don’t really know what I’m doing thanks for the tips!

Juice is like food when it comes to taste

Something I love might taste like ass to you and vice versa

The resistances you are listing are not the actual resistance of the coil you are using! You are just reading the ohms (resistance) your mod will fire.

The mod will tell you the resistance of the coil on the screen next to the ohm symbol, which looks kinda like a horseshoe, only rounder
That’s true but it tastes like almost burnt to me not like the flavor is bad. Oh okay that makes more sense sorry about the mix up and it says 0.20

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like maybe the coil was not properly primed and you are tasting burned cotton, which is what Theresa probably suspected from the start

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it tastes burnt, I really think you're looking at a coil issue. You say you primed it, but some of them are bad straight out of the pack. You can try taking a pin and poking around the cotton in the coil. Some of them are packed pretty tight, which keeps them from absorbing juice as they should.

bluedodger

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Like what brand of e juice? I bought it from eliquid depot but other people have tried it and said it’s fine
The resistance is : 0.05-1.5ohm for TC modes 0.1-3.5ohm for VW/Bypass mode. Had to look it up I’m a beginner
I started vaping pretty low at like 10-20 but it still tasted bad
I would get out of bypass mode and into a regulated variable power mode.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
IMO it just sounds like the juice, just because it's popular with others doesn't mean you'll like it. For example Milkman and Unicorns Puke was very popular and still is. To me all Milkman juice tastes like soap and Unicorns Puke tastes like a shitty diaper.

Change your juice
I always seem to miss these trends :(
Sure it might be better that I have not tried those, but just going by the name, that's something I would order. Example right here, ordered monkey fart and while it tastes like shit, at all percentages possible, I did had to have it for the name and label lol.

@ OP, try priming your coils more/better, I don't know what tank/coils you're using but in most cases the wicking can't keep up with higher VG juices, due to the factory coils being immensely packed with cotton, leading to burning out quickly or long break in time.

If you're vaping 70 VG / 30 PG and higher juices, follow my recommendation and see if that fixes your issue. If you're vaping thinner juices aka higher in PG than please ignore this message.

Find a thin sewing needle, push pin, safety pin etc.
Unscrew the coil from the tank base
Lightly insert the needle into the cotton, make sure you're not poking the wire, nor fully through the cotton, but far enough to reach half way through.
Rinse and repeat till you made around 3-5 tiny holes
Grab your eliquid and drop some juice around the whole coil, even in the middle.
When you see your cotton change in color and see its getting saturated, screw the coil back in the tank.
Now fill the tank
Without the fire button pressed, take 5-10 short drags
Let it sit for at least 5-10 minutes
Now after the time has passed, put your mod on the lower end of the coils recommendation. Example if it says 30-50 watt, best at (insert number), set it to 25.
Take a couple of hits and see how its wicking, if everything is great, increase wattage by 5 and find the spot that's satisfying to you.

Other precautions, give your coil time to wick, meaning wait at least 10-30 seconds between hits. Shorten your drags at the beginning till your cotton is fully broken in, have seen plenty of people setting their mod to 50 right away, taking 5-8 sec hits and complain about burnt cotton lol, don't be one of them.

Let us know how it plays out for you.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I’m using the Reux Mini tank and it tastes burnt to me.
Change your coil, clean your tank, fill with fresh juice. Start at low wattage and work your way up. Forget about TC, to easy to burn a new coil. Remember, it doesnt matter how many watts your mod will do, or how many watts are suggested for the coil, its all about YOUR taste. Example.. coil might suggest 45w.. you might like it better at 35w. No reason to push to 45.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If it makes you feel any better any new atty I get I always re-wick it like 10-15 times before I get it dialed in to my liking. There are even a few I almost sold but stuck with it and glad I did because they turned out to be rock stars.

It's all part of the fun :)

Vape Drive

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi. With this 0.2 coil I wouldn't go higher than 50W (as recommended) with this tank. If you've burned your coil there is no way to make it work it will taste bad, you will have to replace it as the cotton next to wire inside is not good anymore.
As it mentioned above, make sure to prime coils very well and lot it to sit for at least 5 min before using it for the first time.

VU Sponsors