Become a Patron!

Vape temps vs Ohms

My first setup is a Sigelei 75W with an Aspire Triton with .5 ohm coil. I came from 2-3 packs a day for 22+ years and at first, liked the cool vape this gave me. I now have found myself enjoying the warmer vape with less throat hit.

I have had my mod set at 24W @ .5 ohms (temp set at 500F) for the first two weeks of my quitting.

I took a hit off of my fiance's Kangertech tank (same mod) and it was a nice, warm vape. I was surprised when I saw she had a .5 ohm coil in her Kanger because the vape is so freaking warm. I am now using her Kanger at 18w (a bit less than I had been using) and it's pretty close to perfect.

I know some may say that "it isn't broken, so don't fix it.. use the Kangertech".... but I want to know why there is such a drastic difference when the coil has the same resistance. For what it's worth, the flavor is 100 times stronger as well.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just because two coils have the same resistance doesn't mean they contain the same amount of metal. Applying the same power to less metal creates more heat. Chamber size, amount of airflow and many other factors affect the amount of heat you feel also. Different atomizers with different coil heads performing differently with the same power being applied is common. Forget about using device 'X' settings on device 'Y'. Figure out what settings work best for 'Y'.

Thanks much! I was told to go with sub ohm coils by a friend that has been vaping for quite awhile and am unimpressed in their performance in the Triton. I tried a Triton with a 1.8 and it was a lot closer to the Kanger in regards to temps. I can go between the two for free now, so will play with different resistances on both until I find my perfect spot.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Making the wire thicker reduces resistance, and adding wires in parallel reduces resistance. So usually a smaller resistance reading means a larger mass of metal. More metal requires more power to reach the same temp. Also, more metal usually means more coil surface area in contact with juicy wick. Make it reach the same temp and it makes more vapor. The amount of metal being used to make your heating element (coil), the geometry of the coil, the amount of power you apply, the air you supply and the wicks ability to keep up with it all has to be tuned by you to perform the way you want within the range provided by your combination of equipment. Play around with all the options you have with all your stuff. You'll get your gear more dialed in to what you like and probably learn more about what you do like on the way. If you learn you want more, just remember rebuildable's and variable power mods usually offer the widest range of performance and adjustability.

VU Sponsors