KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,

When Vapefly first contacted me about this particular RDA, it was pre-release, they said “Hey King, you wanna go on something?” I said “sorry would I like to have a go on what?”….“Sorry” they said, “we can’t give you any details, only that’s it’s a single coil RDA and we think you’ll like it”….”Oh Reehhhealllllyyy”, I said (in the style of Ace Ventura); you sure you can’t give me ANY details?…”Sorry no can do KingPin its pre-launch”…“fair enough” I said. “Well could you at least give me the name of it?” ….Their response was “The Pixie”

At this stage I’m thinking what if it’s some sort of minion horror arriving in the form of the Ample Pixie RDTA <cue camera pan>

D14F5F41-705C-472D-A099-D6993BD8CC56.jpeg

.......This is exactly the sort of thing I don’t touch, and for good reason…there’s simply no way I’m sucking off a minion!

So the package arrives promptly afterwards, I open it up carefully in trepidation, awaiting to see the bloody minion smiling up at me, instead before me lies this smart looking 22mm RDA…they said “ok now you have it we’ll tell you that it was designed in the Philippines by Ferdinand Factor”….ok Vapefly now we’re talking, let’s see what it’s all about then!

So in honour bound tradition; as always I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews, instead I provide you with all my findings should you be interested in the product, in the hope it helps bolster your research.

(Please note: photos appear normal size when logged in)

RDA Specification Overview & What’s in the box

• Visible Height: 24mm (29mm with drip tip)
  • Diameter: 22mm at the base
  • Well Depth: 8.4mm
  • Thread length 4.9mm (gold plated positive pin)
  • Construction: 304 Stainless Steel, Delrin Drip Tip, Peek Airflow Inserts
  • Stock Drip tip 510: Visible Height 6mm x Width 12.4mm (Tapered Bore 5.9mm > 8mm)
  • Airflow: Multiple options 1) Open slot with no insert (7.4mm x 2.5mm), 2) Insert with three 1.5mm diameter holes, 3) Insert with a single 6.7mm x 1.6mm slot, 4) MTL single hole 1.9mm Diameter.
  • Chamber Height: 6.3mm
  • Space for coil diameter: 9mm
  • Post distance for coil width: 10mm
  • Distance Squonk Pin sits above the Deck: 4.4mm
Extras: O-rings, Multi tool, 2 spare hex screws, Squonk pin, Cotton, 2 x coils, alternate airflow insert

Available Colours:
Black, Stainless, Rainbow, Gunmetal, Gold

Product Information
: http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-pixie-rda/

Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly

My version is a sample, so my experiences may differ to yours; in fact I know it will because in my pack they put in the wrong multi-tool, which I’m told will be fixed in the final retail packaging.

Assuming you get the new tri-head multi-tool, you’ll get all the bits needed to start you off including some woven Ni80 coils and Vapefly’s very own Firebolt cotton. Also take note of the alternate plastic airflow insert included in the pack; if you want to swap about airflow on this RDA you’ll want to keep this little bit handy, although I will say this; I’ve nearly lost these pieces a few times, so it’s best to pick the one you like and stick with it.

A0632A5A-959E-4DFE-B2F9-F00A1C612F69.jpeg

Aesthetically I think the RDA’s form, with the 3 hole airflow piece inserted, it’s heatsink looking delrin topper, and it’s small 510 delrin drip tip perched on top looks the business (certainly in black). This is the type of single coil RDA that would catch my eye if I were casually browsing through pictures. It’s a shame it has to share the same space as the gaudy text on the outer casing though, I’d love to have seen some that Filipino flair from Ferdinand in the outer artwork, perhaps some engraving instead; but overall it’s not too garish once you have the RTA on top of the mod.

A3F0AE46-4DB0-4F14-BF38-190BB0F5834B.jpeg

The RDA is 22mm so starts out being dinky, regardless when you first open the box you’d be mistaken for thinking its smaller still because it doesn’t really sit high at just 24mm (without the tip). Open it up though is like staring into the deck of a 24mm RDA!. No joke here this RDA has a chasm compared to many of its counterparts in the featherweight league…8.4mm deep! This RDA squonks as forgivingly as the Recurve RDA does, which for those out there who don’t know anything about that one yet; it’s really damn forgiving! I can literally saturate most of my coil which is a massive pro in my book.

9E8FA3F7-D281-4244-B9A6-D05A9569E09B.jpeg

….Obviously if you go crazy you’re going to get a bit of spitting. One of the marketing promises from Vapefly is: “the Pixie has the coil offset to alleviate spitting”…That’s not my experience, it’s still very much capable of that. If you don’t use enough wicking through the coil, or happen to use a tip with a wider bore compared to the stock tip; you will invariably experience this aspect. So It’s nice to have that deep chasm of squonking capability, but you still need to get the bottle squeeze right otherwise Satan comes knocking at your door.

22724479-F7AF-44AE-813C-8AC0B85AD765.jpeg

Looking inside at the top of the cap, there’s a step out lip for the centred dome and a machined out ring beside it. This and other products out there incorporating this sort of design “should” stop condensation from passing up to the user as they inhale….but this normally features on taller chambers, so I suspect that the coil being offset so close to the top creates more condensation build up one side over the other…which could be causing the spitting issues. My point being so far I haven’t been able to alleviate spitting entirely, just reduce it as much as possible. Generally I’d put all of this down to user error, but not so much on this little RDA…there’s just too many nooks and crannies for juice to build up in, and unless I wipe around the inside regularly it happens eventually.

I don’t know whether I’m just a picky sod or not, but out of say 10 products; I’ll probably like just 2 stock drip tips out of the lot of them. Unfortunately for the Pixie...it’s not one of the keepers I’ll be using. The Flavour is fantastic using it don’t get me wrong, but it’s more suited to those who really like using single round wire and lower temps. For someone like me who enjoys a warm vape; my lips cannot avoid touching the top cap, and whilst there’s a Delrin insulator on top I still noticed heat generating quickly through it with the larger coil I preferred using.

5ABBAB8A-DE7D-4410-9BC1-EA88EDFC208C.jpeg

The machining around this RDA is really good, there are a couple of nicks in my posts, but otherwise the whole RDA is spotless. I’ve seen these nick marks in a few of the posts reviewing their products to date. I believe what’s happening is they are being machined, then stored in large tubs and moved about; ultimately damaging each other in the process. Perhaps this area is something to look into Vapefly?

CFBF0592-A87D-48F8-A2FA-174F18F59A40.jpeg

The RDA breaks down into 16 pieces (if you include O-rings, peek insulators and airflow insert). I think the O-rings offer decent resistance overall, they do need lubing up to start with but once you do everything pops on and off pretty well. I noticed a lack of tiny O-Rings around both the negative post screw and positive pin. These aren’t mandatory if the screws form a good seal, so I’m just noting that in case you see any leaking and what to do to fix it (I personally haven’t had issues though). I did notice one thing which was odd: the end of the squonk pin is slightly rounded rather than being flat…now I don’t know if this is a single product thing or not but the head should always be flat to form a good seal against the positive pin of the Squonker/mod…so I’ll be listing this as a con. The dripping pin is flat however.

7844EE1E-24F3-4721-87B8-0BF27FD8E1DB.jpeg
2B24B378-E62C-486B-9C40-778A4DA0D539.jpeg

Looking at the deck you can see the squonk pin sits raised (4.4mm high), and the area its poking out from is raised as well. This means juice flows down and all around the small reservoir milled at its edges. Being you have 8.4mm to play with here, I think this approach works really well for this RDA. I can easily get 5 or 6 pulls from it which is crazy for its size...would I use it as a dripper though?, hmm it’s definitely viable, but personally I’m lazy when it comes to dripping, and I hate removing the top cap and losing the position of my airflow, so unless I can centre drip (which I can’t easily with the 510) I’ll stick to squonking.

6ADBED51-3D5D-4570-BE30-8510B67B5EC2.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly Continued

As with any RDA with the housing ring sitting flush with the base (instead of sitting on a lip) expect a small amount of juice finding its way under the base at points (which will need to be cleaned). I personally haven’t seen actual leaking issues though, other than a bit of pooling inside my Squonker 510 assembly due to the round end of the pin.

The housing ring has two stops located underneath so that airflow is always directed centrally at the coil. Being you can swap over airflow inserts to hone the restriction of the draw, these stops are a good idea and work in harmony with the easy mounting experience this RDA offers. The airflow is located high up and steps inwardly acting to form a guard against casual over squonking around this part of the deck, it also helps by narrowing the chamber to get air closer to the coil....so really it’s kind of like an 18mm RDA within a 22mm RDA when you put all the bits back together.

46F67D54-65AF-4212-AC6A-AFEC85982AA2.jpeg 501E5ED7-6AF8-42B4-9E98-F30821ADD11D.jpeg

The airflow inserts can be swapped out at any time which is handy. There’s a small indent you can use to push it out slightly, and if you then look at the housing from the other side you’ll see a tiny lip to get your finger nail under to pull it free.

596BB085-795E-4CF5-AB61-2C7E75110CA4.jpeg B1A0C50D-EE37-41B4-BB49-7615AA8E1627.jpeg

Vapefly is all about giving users the ability to adjust airflow in unique ways, and they don’t just follow the herd like some out there, rather they do their own thing. This aspect is one of the things I enjoy most waiting for their product releases. The Pixie is no exception; you have the option of using a 3 holed peek insert (each hole is 1.5mm diameter): this piece gives you a restricted direct lung draw. Then you have a cyclops slot peek insert (6.7mm x 1,6mm) which gives you a lesser restricted draw. The third option is no insert at all (7.5mm x 2.5mm) and this gives you a lose inhale. Not only do you have these three options; but they also machined a small hole in the housing for the mouth to lung vapers out there…though don’t be excepting a cigarette restricted draw here because the single hole is 1.9mm so it’s quite lose for a true MTL.

EA56489D-161D-4E12-AA34-52EB48537CFB.jpeg

Coil Building & Wicking

The biggest draw for me is how easy and forgiving this 22mm RDA is with building. The deck is really well laid out.

The velocity style posts sit inwards from the edges so you can get access to the back of them to snip the leads and avoid any shorting issues should you leave legs a little longer.

2A8F9C2E-5B3A-453C-B1CA-351E4B14281B.jpeg

You have access to a wide and long building area ...10mm post distance, and 9mm between the post and airflow inlet. So it’ll house coils between 3 - 4mm with no issues.

7A5EFF98-9661-4B18-A340-B68F2A2F2018.jpeg BCBC6280-9495-4538-8490-015FF5A5EC2C.jpeg

There’s two little lip cut outs to show you where to position the coil looking down on the deck, which I’ve stuck to.

4B815183-09C1-405F-B990-BD4BD124FB8F.jpeg

Then based on the coil diameter size just lift it slightly higher the larger it is, this makes sure the airflow will be hitting the bottom half of the coil.
I personally landed on using a 3.5mm ID coil in the end, as such I positioned the top of the coil so it sits in line with the top of the posts.

DDB21C12-46CB-489E-A4BB-82390F56565E.jpeg

When it comes to wicking; I’ve been approaching this like a dripper even when squonking…just leave the cotton tails long enough to fold around and sit them in the reservoir. Then at the front area pack it down so you still have a nice gap underneath the coil for the air to travel unrestricted.

Really there’s nothing much more to say here, it’s simple, not trying to re-invent the wheel but you can tell there was careful thought put into it all… I think the execution of this is deck is absolutely bang on the money….even the post screws are wider than previous screws Vapefly have used before.

If I had to nit-pick, I would like to have seen deeper cut outs into the hex screw heads to make sure my allen key doesn’t slip when wrenching down hard as they felt a little soft, but there are spares in the pack to try instead.

How’s it Vape

It goes without saying depending on which insert you use it will change the experience on the draw. In my time using this RDA; I found it suited the insert with 3 holes the best...offering a more restricted hit along with a smooth quiet draw. The noise and choppiness of the draw would increase slightly using the cyclops insert, and increase further using no insert at all.

Using the 3 hole leaves it drawing with a restriction more akin to the Armor V1.0 RDA (which is slightly tighter than the Hadaly) and suits me fine, so that’s how I ended up using it the most. I just don’t go nuts with the type of coil mass I’m using, especially with the reduced airflow and found it to produce great flavour with a lovely moist vapour production.

So it’s as forgiving as the recurve in squonking before it leaks, has better flavour, is more suited to a restricted draw, though it does have a tendency to spit if you over do things or don’t wipe away condensation build up …that’s about sums my thoughts up on this one except to say - I found it delivers a great tasting vape with both bakery and fruity flavours.

Pro’s
  • Great Flavour
  • Multiple airflow options (suits restricted draw the most)
  • Can swap out airflow inserts at any time
  • Moist Vapour Production
  • Great machining and paint finish overall
  • Super easy to build on
  • Forgiving with coil size
  • Wicking approach is the same for dripping or squonking
  • Deep well for its size
  • [personal] lovely form and Delrin topper helps
  • Decent O-ring resistance throughout
  • Fixed airflow works well with airflow options
  • Can use it for squonking or dripping
Cons’s
  • Rounded head on the squonk pin (not sure if that just mine but didn’t form good seal)
  • [personal] didn’t like the stock drip tip, it’s too small
  • [personal] Not crazy on the pixie writing (would have preferred engraving)
  • Spitting experienced, this RDA can be temperamental (don’t squeeze too much)
  • Would like Vapefly to look into why small nicks keep appearing on their posts
  • Would like to have seen deeper cut out on the hex screws
Final Conclusion

Do I like the Pixie? – When I’m not testing for reviewing I use single coil RDA’s to vape on a lot (there’s always one in my rotation at least). I’ve been using the Recurve RDA as my daily beater since June, and I think I’ve found a replacement for it with the Pixie, so yeah; I really like it and Vapefly were right after all.

I’ve tried to cast my critical eye here over the past month using this one but I can’t find much wrong with it…other than the rounded pin head, the only thing I want to get rid of is that temperamental spitting when I overdo the squonking.

In terms of vapers out there wanting a loser draw, as I mentioned in my review - this RDA has a lot of airflow options, but it caters best to those looking for a more restricted hit (unless that is you don’t really care about draw experience).

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, I hope the information serves you well…. until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

Smiling Ogre

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sweet review! You really worked it over. Love your approach. Got my attention immediately as I really like a good 22, single, RDA. Kudos and thanks for doing this! Very helpful!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Particularly enjoyed this write up, I'm going to look into this one. Thank you for a good read.:hug:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rounded head on the squonk pin
How big of a mess did this make, I am kind of disappointed. When I saw this last week it looked like it had good potential for a squonk RDA. However I don't feel like having to find a squonk pin for it.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great review as always, KP....and those are some really nice photos....!

Thanks matey, this one took ages to photo and edit so really appreciate you noticing :vino:

Oh there was another couple to show the wicking and what it looks like with a Merlin drip tip in but had the damn 10 limit

AB0EBB7E-DDCF-4FAD-A9F8-7005EB676F63.jpeg 3AAFB201-4FFF-46F6-9823-FC38D05533E2.jpeg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sweet review! You really worked it over. Love your approach. Got my attention immediately as I really like a good 22, single, RDA. Kudos and thanks for doing this! Very helpful!

Thanks matey ...yay another lover of the 22’s! Which ones you fond of?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Particularly enjoyed this write up, I'm going to look into this one. Thank you for a good read.:hug:

:blowkiss: let me know if you want to know anything else...and thank you very much for putting up with me more than anything :hug:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Saw you all over the Phenom as well mate hahaha you gonna do it?

how is the flave 22 its on my wish list
The Flave is good, but I haven't had time for more experiments with different builds, been just using a single wire coil. Seems like most attys are pretty decent now. They are running out of things to do with the lil guys....:)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
How big of a mess did this make, I am kind of disappointed. When I saw this last week it looked like it had good potential for a squonk RDA. However I don't feel like having to find a squonk pin for it.

It’s not rounded to an extreme, so it’s not really bad where it’s gushing (it’s more the edges of the Phillip head on it that will weep a little)...there was a bit of juice either side of the positive pin in the assembly, but it didn’t affect that feedlink before this review...

So perhaps a mod with a decent sealed unit is the way to go, or sand the pin flat....it could just be one of those things on mine so best to check if others are reporting it too :cheers:

In the meantime I’ll be feeding it back just in case.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The Flave is good, but I haven't had time for more experiments with different builds, been just using a single wire coil. Seems like most attys are pretty decent now. They are running out of things to do with the lil guys....:)

let me know after you had a play, or just tag me in if you drop your thoughts in the forum mate cause I’m deciding whether it’s that or the new psyclone atty next “the citadel”....I got a little bit :xD: looking at that a hadaly with better mounts ...shwiiiinnng

3310E6A5-A491-47A0-9DAA-F72C4949AA9B.jpeg

Yeah agree mate it’s getting harder and harder to come up with new stuff now ... so instead let’s make a robot chubby and ram it home

854A5007-A07B-473A-94E9-FE40546C246E.jpeg

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
let me know after you had a play, or just tag me in if you drop your thoughts in the forum mate cause I’m deciding whether it’s that or the new psyclone atty next “the citadel”....I got a little bit :xD: looking at that a hadaly with better mounts ...shwiiiinnng

View attachment 121060

Yeah agree mate it’s getting harder and harder to come up with new stuff now ... so instead let’s make a robot chubby and ram it home

View attachment 121059

We were just talking about those goofy blue mods earlier:giggle::giggle:
They must have sent out 1000 of those things for free.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I am eagerly awaiting your review on that Smoant Campbel kit @KingPin!:D

I even figured out the name of it.:D:D:D

It’s the “Smoant Boyfriend” (Jwill came up with that one hahahahaha.....I like it so ordained it by that name)

Sadly mate my time is tight (between family, work, friends, moderating, challenges, reviewing there aren’t enough hours in the day not to be a little picky about what I spend my time on (though am working on their naboo mod at the moment), I’m gonna check out Ogres vid in a bit see what he thinks of it though :D

.......... it was sent unannounced and had I of known about it, wouldn’t have touched it with a barge pole (figuratively speaking of course:giggle:)
it’s just too out there for me, So if anyone in our community from the UK (must have been a member for a month or more) wants the Smoant Boyfriend let me know and I’ll send you it (it’s new and unused other than to get it out and take a look)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You know, I'd be willing to bet if you put one of those little Smok tanks on there this would make a wonderful gift for the female vaper in your life.

What are they calling that top thing anyway?

Every review I've seen of it the reviewer appears to take a cloud comp style hit but they let out the amount of vapor of a gas station cigilike.

Plus none of them look like they are enjoying the act of trying to get vapor out of the thing.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You know, I'd be willing to bet if you put one of those little Smok tanks on there this would make a wonderful gift for the female vaper in your life.

What are they calling that top thing anyway?

Every review I've seen of it the reviewer appears to take a cloud comp style hit but they let out the amount of vapor of a gas station cigilike.

Plus none of them look like they are enjoying the act of trying to get vapor out of the thing.

It got a flaming on reddit I saw that ...originally it was meant for alcohol to be used in the liquid section when Smoant demo’d it at ECC, but Smoant decided not to market it that way so said use soft drinks....so far I’ve heard people reporting of spitting using it with thinner liquids unless they restrict the draw to MTL...no idea mate haven’t used it myself

And yeah I believe the mod is unregulated so you could stick a little atty on top and build accordingly to vape it that way without the dong on top (single battery mod)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I've got a bunch of different "22" rta's and a few rda's. So far the pulse is the best I have but I'm always watching because the small chambers have an inherent flavor advantage imho.

For some reason I never did partake in the pulse 22, 24, or the dead rabbit come to think of it, I see these two compared a lot out there.

Smiling Ogre

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For some reason I never did partake in the pulse 22, 24, or the dead rabbit come to think of it, I see these two compared a lot out there.
I tried both Pulse RDA's and honestly did not find them to be exceptional. I passed on the Dear Rabbit. Having said that, I do find the Pulse 22 to be "very good" and use it often.

VU Sponsors