Become a Patron!

Vaping again after a long break - Couple questions - long read

hardhead

Member For 3 Years
I started vaping several years ago. Back before tanks or regulated mods. Pretty dangerous as there was no real caution about Ohms law. Even the guys in the shops would build coils and not think twice about checking resistance or the battery in the mod. I built my own coils and used a mech mod with RDA clones, not paying any attention to the battery or resistance of the coils that I built. In hindsight, VERY foolish and dangerous... There weren't any forums around to educate folks looking to start vaping.

For whatever reason, mostly frustration with constant dripping and early tank designs, I went back to analogs. Fast forward to today, I quit the analogs a few weeks ago and started vaping again. I have a couple 60w Eleaf mods and old Aspire Gen1 tanks which got very frustrating pretty quick. I wound up buying an Xfeng along with a couple Falcon tanks which were fine. My old Samsung 30Q INR batts weren't holding much of a charge so I ordered 4 Orbtronics 3120 mAh - 30A batteries which have been great. https://www.orbtronic.com/30a-18650-3120mah-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-flat-top

I recently decided to purchase another mod and 4 more batteries. Accidentally ordered these 3500 mAh hybrids which actually have good reviews from vapers, however, they are only 10A continuous. So, should I send these things back? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer) Current build on my RDA is running 22 amps @ .14 ohm and 60 watts. Keeping in mind it's a dual battery mod. :https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18650-imr-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-orbtronic-li-ion

At this point, not counting my old stuff, I'm up to 2 Baby Beast tanks, a Resa Prince, 2 Falcons and just received a Mesh Pro RDA. I don't like sticking to the same flavors day after day, which is why I have so many tanks. Finally decided an RDA or two would make things a lot easier and cheaper to change flavors (thinking a squonk mod is in the near future). I'm done buying premade SMOK coils. Already ordered rebuild-able decks for the SMOK tanks and may even give some away to other smokers that I know.

Sorry for the long read. One more question. What exactly is the attraction to mech mods. With the regulated devices available today, why would one choose a mech mod over a good regulated device? I can't think of how a mech would outperform a regulated mod in any aspect other than longevity. Obviously a mech mod doesn't have a board or circuits to fry.. But other than that, what's the point?

If you made to the end, thanks for reading.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU and welcome back to vaping.

You sort of answered part of the allure.

"I can't think of how a mech would outperform a regulated mod in any aspect other than longevity. Obviously a mech mod doesn't have a board or circuits to fry"

With a solid build and working knowledge of mechanical mods, one can outperform a regulated one by a country mile (IMO) all without a bunch of lights and knobs and buttons. Its a relatively simple device built for raw power that is controlled by the build, assembled by the handler. Im a tinkerer, mech mods give room for lots of tinkering. It was a natural marriage of sorts. My mech mods will outlive me and still be functional a long time from now.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started vaping several years ago. Back before tanks or regulated mods. Pretty dangerous as there was no real caution about Ohms law. Even the guys in the shops would build coils and not think twice about checking resistance or the battery in the mod. I built my own coils and used a mech mod with RDA clones, not paying any attention to the battery or resistance of the coils that I built. In hindsight, VERY foolish and dangerous... There weren't any forums around to educate folks looking to start vaping.

For whatever reason, mostly frustration with constant dripping and early tank designs, I went back to analogs. Fast forward to today, I quit the analogs a few weeks ago and started vaping again. I have a couple 60w Eleaf mods and old Aspire Gen1 tanks which got very frustrating pretty quick. I wound up buying an Xfeng along with a couple Falcon tanks which were fine. My old Samsung 30Q INR batts weren't holding much of a charge so I ordered 4 Orbtronics 3120 mAh - 30A batteries which have been great. https://www.orbtronic.com/30a-18650-3120mah-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-flat-top

I recently decided to purchase another mod and 4 more batteries. Accidentally ordered these 3500 mAh hybrids which actually have good reviews from vapers, however, they are only 10A continuous. So, should I send these things back? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer) Current build on my RDA is running 22 amps @ .14 ohm and 60 watts. Keeping in mind it's a dual battery mod. :https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18650-imr-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-orbtronic-li-ion

At this point, not counting my old stuff, I'm up to 2 Baby Beast tanks, a Resa Prince, 2 Falcons and just received a Mesh Pro RDA. I don't like sticking to the same flavors day after day, which is why I have so many tanks. Finally decided an RDA or two would make things a lot easier and cheaper to change flavors (thinking a squonk mod is in the near future). I'm done buying premade SMOK coils. Already ordered rebuild-able decks for the SMOK tanks and may even give some away to other smokers that I know.

Sorry for the long read. One more question. What exactly is the attraction to mech mods. With the regulated devices available today, why would one choose a mech mod over a good regulated device? I can't think of how a mech would outperform a regulated mod in any aspect other than longevity. Obviously a mech mod doesn't have a board or circuits to fry.. But other than that, what's the point?

I personally think it's just a "cool" thing -- if you vape on a mech, you're a REAL vaper, or some idiocy like that. Because you're right; setting your regulated mod for the wattage that gives you the vape you prefer and never gives more or less than that until it's time to change or charge, is FAR superior to the constant lessening of the vape you get with mechs. and of course, as you noted, the durability factor -- I've got a couple of mechs in my vapocalypse stash, but after learning how to use them and maintain them, I put them into the drawer and left them there. If the FDA ever gets its fondest wish and manages to kill the entire vape market, I'll be really glad to have them... but in the meantime, I'll be vaping on my dozen-and-a-half regulated mods. ;)

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU, glad to hear you back to vaping. I stick with regulated for self preservation, not the brightest when it comes to batteries and builds.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't know as much as some about amps/watts as they relate to series or parallel mods. I have questions on my own. I beleive that in series a dual battery mod has the amps of one of the batteries. I think you could be unsafe in that regard, altho regulated mod with safety features might help stay safe(er). 10 watts is pretty low, and I haven't looked up your batteries but I would return what I could and get top of the line for the device your going to use them in. Esp when the cost for that quality is the same or lower.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Welcome to VU and welcome back to vaping.

You sort of answered part of the allure.

"I can't think of how a mech would outperform a regulated mod in any aspect other than longevity. Obviously a mech mod doesn't have a board or circuits to fry"

With a solid build and working knowledge of mechanical mods, one can outperform a regulated one by a country mile (IMO) all without a bunch of lights and knobs and buttons. Its a relatively simple device built for raw power that is controlled by the build, assembled by the handler. Im a tinkerer, mech mods give room for lots of tinkering. It was a natural marriage of sorts. My mech mods will outlive me and still be functional a long time from now.
Have to agree. I prefer regulated mods for safety, but if you have the knowledge on resistance, power, and battery stress tests, you can do some wicked builds on a mech. I won't post my builds, but it was above the CDR for sure.
Now I basically use a mech when my regulated dies and Im waiting for a replacement.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I ordered 4 Orbtronics 3120 mAh - 30A batteries which have been great. https://www.orbtronic.com/30a-18650-3120mah-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-flat-top

No such animal exists. It's a Jackalope. A rabbit with antlers stuck to its forehead. As a rule.. Higher MaH = lower CDR
So..
20A/3000mah yes
25A/2500 mah..yes
30A/2000 mah yes
30A/3000 mah..NO This is basically a 20A 3000mah battery with a fake lable. The 30A rating simply means the battery did not explode when discharged at 30A. Oh I am sure it heated up and damaged the cell quite nicely, but it didn't explode.

Sony, Samsung and LG batteries base the CDR on a constant discharge rate that does not damage the cell or cause it to over heat. So use only these brands. Min 20A (best for regulated mods and long vape time)
There is no battery that is above 30A CDR. Any company claiming theirs is, is lying to you.

Now before I started using mech mods, i did a bunch of research on batteries and how they performed and what the stress test results were. I would rather trust my low ohm, high amp/watt build to a LG 20A battery than some random brand battery rated at 45A just to make a sale.

I know for example, that the 20A 3000mah LG Browns, can easily handle a 50A pull with a 30 second rest between pulls. The ones you have.. I wouldn't trust in a flashlight.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What exactly is the attraction to mech mods.
if you vape on a mech, you're a REAL vaper, or some idiocy like that

Well, we are always surrounded by idiots - they even get to vote. The only reason I keep a mech around is: they should be absotively, posolutely dead-simple.. There is always a chance my regulated mod - and I have several - takes a dump and needs to be shipped off for repairs (YiHi or Evolv), or replaced (Gbox 200), but - as long as the accursed switch works - my Noisy Cricket will be available and work.

I'd like to get my hands on the NC v2 with the flipping-circuit in the bottom for series vs parallel - and I'd love to get a DS-style, if I could be 120% sure I could replace a fubar'd switch. All that said, I've packed away the NC for emergencies..

I roll with the gbox, or the SXmini m-class, or the vt133. Each has been extremely reliable. And, I live around .6Ω with single coils more often than duals anymore. Why? Because I want to slap a coil around a mandrel, lock it down, pulse it, wick it and done. No screw around.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I personally think it's just a "cool" thing -- if you vape on a mech, you're a REAL vaper, or some idiocy like that.

Some do act that way, but not all.

I simply prefer the smoother vape I get from a mech - and never do crazy builds or vape very low ohms, ever, ever, ever

Plus, once you know your way around them, no fiddling required at all. I hate fidgeting with my vapes

hardhead

Member For 3 Years
That's one of the main reasons I stopped years ago. All fiddling with things to get a vape working the way you want was really irritating. Especially with those POS tanks.

Not to mention 15 ml bottles were nearly $20. Really sucked when one sprung a leak..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's one of the main reasons I stopped years ago. All fiddling with things to get a vape working the way you want was really irritating. Especially with those POS tanks.

Not to mention 15 ml bottles were nearly $20. Really sucked when one sprung a leak..

LOL..it's crazy....we used to smoke butts out of the ashtray..stale old cigs found in a coat pocket..flattened cigs hidden in the cushions of the couch......but now...we have to have the PERFECT vape.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It doesn't pulse through a board - the battery reacts to the coil, rather than the board telling the battery what to do
I'm finding it hard to believe that a control circuit would impact the vape quality, however i'm not going to discount the possibility given ive never tried a mech mod.

Regulated mods are pretty small and they are going to have very little in the way of components on a high current circuit. All you are realistically going to have between the battery and the atomiser is a transistor. There will be a separate low current circuit which provides for the control and protection aspect and it will be that low power circuit that will be feeding the base and turning the transistor on and off.

Even the typically used LM555 oscillates at 100,000 times a second. The LM7555 at 1,000,000 per second. That's not going to impact on the coil. Its just not going to have time to cool on the off period even at very low wattage settings.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm finding it hard to believe that a control circuit would impact the vape quality, however i'm not going to discount the possibility given ive never tried a mech mod.

Regulated mods are pretty small and they are going to have very little in the way of components on a high current circuit. All you are realistically going to have between the battery and the atomiser is a transistor. There will be a separate low current circuit which provides for the control and protection aspect and it will be that low power circuit that will be feeding the base and turning the transistor on and off.

Even the typically used LM555 oscillates at 100,000 times a second. The LM7555 at 1,000,000 per second. That's not going to impact on the coil. Its just not going to have time to cool on the off period even at very low wattage settings.

You're the expert!

But newbs are better off with a regulated mod anyway

Reactions: MC5

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You're the expert!
As I acknowledged, I haven't tried a mech mod and I highlighted I'm not ruling out what you are saying. I've simply explained why I struggle to see how PWM would realistically impact the atomiser in a way that is would affect the smoothness of the vape.

I can see plenty of other attractions to it, and understand why some might want to go down the route of a mech for sure.

But newbs are better off with a regulated mod anyway
I agree. Personally I'd say anyone who isn't going to take the time to learn a little about electronics, or willing to take the time to do proper checks and tests on their equipment on an ongoing basis, would be better off sticking to a regulated mod no matter how long they've been vaping.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Why would a mech give you a smoother vape?
it really wouldn't. Basically, you would be vaping at a lower wattage so yeah, less vapor = smoother vape but you could also do the exact same thing on a regulated mod simply by lowering the power level.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
As I acknowledged, I haven't tried a mech mod and I highlighted I'm not ruling out what you are saying. I've simply explained why I struggle to see how PWM would realistically impact the atomiser in a way that is would affect the smoothness of the vape.

I can see plenty of other attractions to it, and understand why some might want to go down the route of a mech for sure.

I agree. Personally I'd say anyone who isn't going to take the time to learn a little about electronics, or willing to take the time to do proper checks and tests on their equipment on an ongoing basis, would be better off sticking to a regulated mod no matter how long they've been vaping.

2 main reasons to use a mech

1 cloud competition builds in that category (super advanced vape level)
2 a back up to use while waiting for your new regulated mod to arrive (Mechs are simple and usually not much goes wrong)
3 as a collector. You might never use them, but they make a nice display. IE V3Flip Gold.. (this is going to blow your mind..)
http://www.houstonelectroniccigarettestore.com/shop/Devices/Mechanical/p/V3-FLIP-Gold-x3615959.htm

THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY US DOLLARS FOR A MECH MOD???????? My wife would slaughter me!!!!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
it really wouldn't. Basically, you would be vaping at a lower wattage so yeah, less vapor = smoother vape but you could also do the exact same thing on a regulated mod simply by lowering the power level.

Untrue - lowering wattage on a regulated mod is nothing like the vape you get when the coil controls the battery

You need to experience it yourself to see what my definition of smoother means - its a totally different vape

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

2 a back up to use while waiting for your new regulated mod to arrive (Mechs are simple and usually not much goes wrong)
3 as a collector. You might never use them, but they make a nice display. IE V3Flip Gold.. (this is going to blow your mind..)
http://www.houstonelectroniccigarettestore.com/shop/Devices/Mechanical/p/V3-FLIP-Gold-x3615959.htm

4. you are experienced and enjoy it over regulated

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

As I quite bluntly put it to another member in another forum who commented that he had been vaping longer than I have.. experience does not equal expertise. Just because you can drive a car doesn't qualify you as a mechanic, right?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Toss them or use them in a Flashlight, stick only with Mooch's recommended batteries.

Simple answer.
I don't care about the cool factor or the "Clouds Bro's" it comes down to -
  • Smoother better quality Vape for yes you can tell the difference with modulating power from a regulated mod and just a pure DC connection
  • I feel much safer of a Mech for I'm responsible for my own safety, not some computer chip manufactured by some poor soul working in a sweat showp for slave wages
Plus with Mech's it's like going to a car dealer, an automatic you just want transportation a stick you want to drive. Well I want to Vape ;)

I could care less about clouds bro's
3 as a collector. You might never use them, but they make a nice display.
I use all of mine ;)
IE V3Flip Gold.. (this is going to blow your mind..)

THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY US DOLLARS FOR A MECH MOD???????? My wife would slaughter me!!!!

There's a number of advantages of being single ;)

Plus I wouldn't get that Tube, not worth it

Some do act that way, but not all.

I simply prefer the smoother vape I get from a mech - and never do crazy builds or vape very low ohms, ever, ever, ever

Plus, once you know your way around them, no fiddling required at all. I hate fidgeting with my vapes

Yep you do get a much smoother vape with Mech's, there's something about a pure unaltered DC power verses pulsed, modulated, etc. of a chip. Example are my pure silver Mech's for not only are they the hardest hitting Mech's I own but they are smooth, very smooth. It's not just me for when ever I have others take a hit they always comment about how smooth of a Vape it is. That and the simplicity, just hit the switch and Vape. Before I got into Mech's I dove deep into TC with my DNA 200. I got a decent vape but way too much fucking around with it. With a Mech you try a few builds to nail down the sweet spot then that's hit, very simple.

Plus Electronic's fail, that's what they do. Couple that with people working in sweatshops in 3rd world country's for slave wages? I feel much safer knowing I'm responsible for my own safety ya know.

hardhead

Member For 3 Years
Might have to dig through some boxes to find my old copper Manhattan and chrome Panzer... I already found 4 giant spools of kanthal and several old juice bottles that have turned black.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Might have to dig through some boxes to find my old copper Manhattan and chrome Panzer... I already found 4 giant spools of kanthal and several old juice bottles that have turned black.

Just do it safely if you do

Not urging people to vape either way, but get sick and tired of the mech bashers spouting half truths or uniformed opinions as fact, especially when the clouds bro crowd also inhabits the regulated world

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Not urging people to vape either way, but get sick and tired of the mech bashers spouting half truths or uniformed opinions as fact, especially when the clouds bro crowd also inhabits the regulated world

With a little bit of personal responsibility, some reading and not being the village idiot. Mechs are solid as all get out. Simple, smooth and very nice to operate, which is why I prefer them and why so many who started on them go back to them. I would put a quality mod or tube with no protections, good batteries and a proper build against any regulated mod if in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

The Panzer the OP posted can beat out most modern mods still if built right.

Not everyone that uses a mech mod is trying to impress anyone with it. Some just like what it provides. Its the beer vs wine vs liquor argument.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yep you do get a much smoother vape with Mech's, there's something about a pure unaltered DC power verses pulsed, modulated, etc. of a chip

With these two comments in mind how do you guys go about designing your mech mods?

Do you work out what coil setup suits you best and then knowing what its resistance will be, use that as your starting point then simply work out what Voltage and current you are going to need to heat the coil effectively, then just spec the batteries to be capable of delivering that safely?

Would you have an aversion to having a simple high current bypass circuit to protect the coils and then a cut off if the draw reached a level that would be dangerous for the batteries you have?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With these two comments in mind how do you guys go about designing your mech mods?

Do you work out what coil setup suits you best and then knowing what its resistance will be, use that as your starting point then simply work out what Voltage and current you are going to need to heat the coil effectively, then just spec the batteries to be capable of delivering that safely?

Would you have an aversion to having a simple high current bypass circuit to protect the coils and then a cut off if the draw reached a level that would be dangerous for the batteries you have?
I don't design Mech's but I have bought a lot of them. There are simple but extremely important rules, here's what I give to those interested in Mech's.

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2. Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a. Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

http://liionwholesale.com/

https://www.imrbatteries.com/

b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d. In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)

6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I don't design mech mods

I do design my coils to the vape I like - I never vape under .5, usually .8, then check them on a regulated mod. Right now I'm using Sony VCT6 batteries, which function quite safely in that range

Only if it could offer the same performance as my mechs - I trust myself more than foreign made electronic controls

But I own well over 60 mech mods at this point and trading them all in for something that will eventually fail, no matter how well made, highly doubtful

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't design mech mods

I do design my coils to the vape I like - I never vape under .5, usually .8, then check them on a regulated mod. Right now I'm using Sony VCT6 batteries, which function quite safely in that range

Only if it could offer the same performance as my mechs - I trust myself more than foreign made electronic controls

But I own well over 60 mech mods at this point and trading them all in for something that will eventually fail, no matter how well made, highly doubtful

What I'm thinking of would definitely perform no differently from a mech mod for sure. There would be no PWM on the Voltage supply to the coil or anything like that. It would be as straightforward as any mech mods you have now. You would essentially be providing the coil a constant voltage just like your mods do.

There would be a secondary low current circuit that that would 1.) break the circuit to the coils when your batteries voltage dropped to the point you shouldn't be using them. 2.) break the circuit to the coils if the current draw goes so high it would damage your batteries and indicates something serious is going on like a short. You wouldn't need any complicated IC's or anything like that. This could all be achieved with a handful of discrete components.

Ditching your 60 mods isn't necessary, this sort of design could just be mod 61! I can't see myself ever owning 60 mods but each to their own. If you enjoy collecting them and want to do so that's your prerogative. Hell if you want one to match every outfit you wear or colours to match every lipstick you wear why not - Whatever makes you happy!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
What I'm thinking of would definitely perform no differently from a mech mod for sure. There would be no PWM on the Voltage supply to the coil or anything like that. It would be as straightforward as any mech mods you have now. You would essentially be providing the coil a constant voltage just like your mods do.

There would be a secondary low current circuit that that would 1.) break the circuit to the coils when your batteries voltage dropped to the point you shouldn't be using them. 2.) break the circuit to the coils if the current draw goes so high it would damage your batteries and indicates something serious is going on like a short. You wouldn't need any complicated IC's or anything like that. This could all be achieved with a handful of discrete components.

Ditching your 60 mods isn't necessary, this sort of design could just be mod 61! I can't see myself ever owning 60 mods but each to their own. If you enjoy collecting them and want to do so that's your prerogative. Hell if you want one to match every outfit you wear or colours to match every lipstick you wear why not - Whatever makes you happy!

You are just wanting to reinvent the wheel and dribble. Some people are perfectly happy with what they are doing, how they are doing it and their experience overall. What you are describing is not a mechanical mod. It actively defeats the purpose of simplicity and personal accountability.

Instead of continually polluting threads with your inane garbage, maybe you should start a thread in the non vaping related section, where you can write your monologues and educate all of us. We can stop by and ingest it if we want to.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You would if you were a collector.
And If I were a collector and got that tube, I would be single too. lol.

A true collector has to be selective

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You are just wanting to reinvent the wheel and dribble. Some people are perfectly happy with what they are doing, how they are doing it and their experience overall. What you are describing is not a mechanical mod. It actively defeats the purpose of simplicity and personal accountability.

Instead of continually polluting threads with your inane garbage, maybe you should start a thread in the non vaping related section, where you can write your monologues and educate all of us. We can stop by and ingest it if we want to.

Did your mother never teach you "if you can't say anything nice...."

I'm picking JL's brains because she clearly has a lot of practical experience with Mech's and I don't so I'm interested in her opinion on that basis. If that bothers you tough.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Did your mother never teach you "if you can't say anything nice...."

I'm picking JL's brains because she clearly has a lot of practical experience with Mech's and I don't so I'm interested in her opinion on that basis. If that bothers you tough.

And you would have the nerve to bring up my mother again. This will not get better, best go on and report me.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I own 1 mech, planning another. What I like about regulated is if I want the same atty at lower wattage/less vapor I can dial it down easily, (w/o fanning the trigger). The 1 mech I do have, I'm enjoying the smoothness and I think the atties play a part in that, at least for me.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I own 1 mech, planning another. What I like about regulated is if I want the same atty at lower wattage/less vapor I can dial it down easily, (w/o fanning the trigger). The 1 mech I do have, I'm enjoying the smoothness and I think the atties play a part in that, at least for me.

Have you run the same atty on your mech and and your regulated and with the watts dialed up on the regulated to allow it to supply exactly what the mech does?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Have you run the same atty on your mech and and your regulated and with the watts dialed up on the regulated to allow it to supply exactly what the mech does?
Same atty, both types of mods, and no I specifically haven't. I could put the wattage to what ohm's law says the mech is doing, but it wouldn't be accurate.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Same atty, both types of mods, and no I specifically haven't. I could put the wattage to what ohm's law says the mech is doing, but it wouldn't be accurate.

If you don't mind can you give it a go and let me know how similar the vape experience is? True it wouldn't be perfectly accurate but it would be pretty close and probably as close as we could reasonably achieve outside of lab conditions.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Plus Electronic's fail, that's what they do. Couple that with people working in sweatshops in 3rd world country's for slave wages? I feel much safer knowing I'm responsible for my own safety ya know.
Sure they do. Aprox 1 in 10 million (some say even fewer) and when a regulated mod does fail, it stops working. Dead mod no boom.
With a mech, yes you are responsible for all aspects of operation, but if something fails, it keeps firing unless you can get it to stop (remove batteries, switch, or toss it into a "safe" area, like the back yard or cats litter box, metal bucket, etc.

Some of the most expensive electronics have components made in those "sweat shops" Sony and other high end electronics. You don't think IBM and Apple manufacture capacitors and resistors do you? Just because a factory isn't based in the USA does not make it a sweat shop. And.. all factory workers are underpaid. (Except maybe automobile factory workers..)

Either way, as long as you know what you are doing and what to do "IF" then using a mech is fine.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the safety thing that reg mods do, making it stop if the batteries get too low, is probably their best feature -- I space on how much batt charge I have, ALL the time... till I take a hit, get nothing, look down and see an empty battery shape. Then there have been a few times when, riding in my purse, somehow my mod got turned up to 17-18w (I vape at <10w!), and the heat of it when I tried to take a hit was ungodly -- look down and see the 17 or 18w on the display. Or it just won't fire at all, look at it and see the resistance is showing something really wonky.

That display. That's the thing I can't live without, and since mechs don't have them... I leave my vapocalypse mechs in the drawer. I've got some Kicks stashed too, so I can still vape at <10w if I ever need to use the mechs. But if I ever do really need to... I sure will miss that display. Not sure what's up with the folks who hate high-tech, but personally I LOVE high-tech (except in car engines, but that's another story). I've had a PC since 1989. Been online in one fashion or another since 1990, on the www since 1999; and finally got a mobile phone, a smartphone! in 2016, and a programmable thermostat in my house last year. Hallelujah for high-tech! I sure will miss it, if the FDA finally makes it impossible to buy mods at all, or there's an EMP. GOD FORBID EITHER ONE.

Andria

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Sure they do. Aprox 1 in 10 million (some say even fewer) and when a regulated mod does fail, it stops working. Dead mod no boom.
With a mech, yes you are responsible for all aspects of operation, but if something fails, it keeps firing unless you can get it to stop (remove batteries, switch, or toss it into a "safe" area, like the back yard or cats litter box, metal bucket, etc.

Some of the most expensive electronics have components made in those "sweat shops" Sony and other high end electronics. You don't think IBM and Apple manufacture capacitors and resistors do you? Just because a factory isn't based in the USA does not make it a sweat shop. And.. all factory workers are underpaid. (Except maybe automobile factory workers..)

Either way, as long as you know what you are doing and what to do "IF" then using a mech is fine.

Thats where personal responsibility comes into play as well as the understanding all responsibility falls on the user, which some are willing to accept for the type of experience they want. Its no different than anything else with implied risks. If a person really, really takes the time and learns to build, learns their devices and lives within reason the inherent risks diminishes tremendously and the product over its life becomes a better value overall. I still have and regularly use my first mech mod, how many can say the same about their first regulated mod? I am sure far fewer due to the nature of them being disposable and underpowered by current norms.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thats where personal responsibility comes into play as well as the understanding all responsibility falls on the user, which some are willing to accept for the type of experience they want. Its no different than anything else with implied risks. If a person really, really takes the time and learns to build, learns their devices and lives within reason the inherent risks diminishes tremendously and the product over its life becomes a better value overall. I still have and regularly use my first mech mod, how many can say the same about their first regulated mod? I am sure far fewer due to the nature of them being disposable and underpowered by current norms.

My very first "regulated mod" was an Innokin iTaste vv3... and 4 yrs later, it still works -- my son used it last summer when he switched over from smoking to vaping, until he realized he wanted a bit more power than the 11w it provides. Of the 4 vv3s I bought in 2014, 3 of them still work fine... and I think the death of the 4th one was my own fault. The Sigelei Zmax flat-top I bought in 2014 also still works just fine. I just started buying box mods in 2015 and learned to prefer them, because they're harder to knock over. :D

I sold a Vamo v2 in 2016, which was bought in 2014, and it still worked at that time, when I sold it; also sold my very first box mod in 2016, which I got in 2015, an eLeaf i-something or other. The 2nd one of those eLeafs DID die an early death, when its battery started discharging in nothing flat even when turned off. But most mods I've ever bought, most of them regulated, still work.

The quality of regulated mods depends a great deal on who makes them -- I'd trust 99% of Innokins over anything else (they had a couple of dogs, but not many)... and many Sigeleis also seem to be of excellent quality and durability, though they've also had a few questionable mods, more than Innokin has.

Andria

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
My very first "regulated mod" was an Innokin iTaste vv3... and 4 yrs later, it still works -- my son used it last summer when he switched over from smoking to vaping, until he realized he wanted a bit more power than the 11w it provides. Of the 4 vv3s I bought in 2014, 3 of them still work fine... and I think the death of the 4th one was my own fault. The Sigelei Zmax flat-top I bought in 2014 also still works just fine. I just started buying box mods in 2015 and learned to prefer them, because they're harder to knock over. :D

I sold a Vamo v2 in 2016, which was bought in 2014, and it still worked at that time, when I sold it; also sold my very first box mod in 2016, which I got in 2015, an eLeaf i-something or other. The 2nd one of those eLeafs DID die an early death, when its battery started discharging in nothing flat even when turned off. But most mods I've ever bought, most of them regulated, still work.

The quality of regulated mods depends a great deal on who makes them -- I'd trust 99% of Innokins over anything else (they had a couple of dogs, but not many)... and many Sigeleis also seem to be of excellent quality and durability, though they've also had a few questionable mods, more than Innokin has.

Andria

Agreed about the quality of Innokin as I have 3 MVP 20W's, and some of those little VV sticks my wife still regularly uses. If pulled out to 30,000 feet most people who have been vaping for sometime couldn't find their first regulated mod, much less put a current atomizer on it and use it to satisfaction for what they have become accustomed. If I remember correctly from other posts you are a pretty low wattage user, which kind of bucks the current trends. A person who started on cigalikes and moved on to say a vape style that is much cloudier and somewhere around 55 watts, would not be satisfied with their old itaste.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Moreso than mech, regulated lends a false sence of safety to new users, or anyone that doesn't take the time learn about battery safety.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I use mine, but mostly as a back up. I also like to keep a hand in, just to practice should i ever decide to enter a competition in the mechanical mod division. I won't say what my competition builds are, but I have literally studied my batteries to death. lol. Plus a healthy "chicken" limit. (Like the point when you drive a motorcycle that you wont go faster, even though the speedometer says you can.. lol)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I use mine, but mostly as a back up. I also like to keep a hand in, just to practice should i ever decide to enter a competition in the mechanical mod division. I won't say what my competition builds are, but I have literally studied my batteries to death. lol. Plus a healthy "chicken" limit. (Like the point when you drive a motorcycle that you wont go faster, even though the speedometer says you can.. lol)

Definitely understand and appreciate that.

VU Sponsors