Become a Patron!

vaping and flying????

armyof1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a ? Flying out to Puerto Rico soon wanted to know i can take my mod with me on board or switcase???

omeed

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i always carried my entire set up with me on my carry on (i flew to about 7 or 8 destinations like this over the past year)

what i always had in my vape case pouch thing in my carry on:
nemesis
2 batteries
either RSST or tobh
tweezers
juice bottles in ziploc

suggestions for carry on:
empty any sort of tank you have into a bottle and place bottles in your ziploc bag (no need to put empty tanks since they dont contain liquid)
no needle/syringe tip bottles (not sure if this is an issue, but i would leave my needle bottles and used plastic tip bottles when travelling to be safe)
be prepared for questions explaining that its an e-cigarette (very unlikely in my opinion)
try to keep everything together. I cant imagine what goes through a TSA person's mind when they see batteries, atty's and the likes all over a carry on.

I was only questioned once about it when I was flying back into the US from Toronto.
told them it was an advanced version of an e-cigarette. TSA lady showed her supervisor and I was on my way within a minute.

Keep in mind, TSA knows what vapes are and allow it.

They honestly probably wont care about it in checked baggage.

armyof1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank u. This gives me a bit of peace and mind

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Put your liquids in the quart ziploc bag you have for your shampoo and stuff.

Take your mods and prior to arriving put them in some kind of bag and then put that bag in the plastic bin.

Make sure that all of your batteries are in your carryon. They do not like batteries in stored baggage.

Be nice.

Last time I flew I had 4 mods with me.

armyof1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will do thank you

sgibby88

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just flew last week. I had my rdna with my Russian and nautilus mini. Was concerned about juices so I didn't bring any with me since the closest vape shop from the airport was 2 miles away. Not a single question or a problem on the way down. On my way home I had 2 30 ml bottles and a nemisis clone added to my vape stuff. Only thing asked was if I had any liquids I showed them the juices and was sent on my way

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I always take everything in my carry on bag. If they lose my checked bag (happens a lot) I will still have all I need to vape. Nothing goes in a checked bag that I can't live without for a few days or a week. All liquids go in a plastic zip lock bag so they can see going through security. Nothing over 30 ml bottles and you should be fine. Have a nice trip!

sgibby88

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I had was a carry on as well being I was only gone for 4 days

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
St. Louis , carry on allowed - no vaping in airport.
Las vegas- carry on allowed - vaping allowed in airport.
These are two I know of so far.

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
Can I travel within the US with (in carry-on) 6 VTC4s 1 VTC5, 1 100w box mod in original package, 1 30w box mod in original package, and 2 tube mods plus building materials (screwdrivers, ohm meter, volt meter, wire) and 4 attys? I'm going to be gone for a 3-4 week trip. Need it all plus my i4 charger.

Kenneth98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's ok .But don't smoke on the flying,lol

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can I travel within the US with (in carry-on) 6 VTC4s 1 VTC5, 1 100w box mod in original package, 1 30w box mod in original package, and 2 tube mods plus building materials (screwdrivers, ohm meter, volt meter, wire) and 4 attys? I'm going to be gone for a 3-4 week trip. Need it all plus my i4 charger.
I would put the rebuilding stuff in a checked bag. They may frown on screwdriver and wide. Not sure about those but better safe than sorry.

Wire not wide... Damn phone!
The rest will be okay.

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
Okay, I will consider that for the wire and screwdriver set... thank you Ld3441, and no there will be no vaping on the plane... maybe one voop. LOL :D

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Make sure batteries are in carry on bag, they don't allow batteries in checked bags. Enjoy your trip!

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
Put the wire and screwdrivers in a checked bag along with extra liquid packed in bubble pack :D

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
I posted this yesterday in another Flying thread but thought I should probably copy it here too...

An UPDATE as of NOV. 7 2014 after speaking with a TSA employee, who actually vapes herself, she sent me an email about specifics on batteries and E-cigs, this is a direct copy and paste from part of the email:

E-cigarettes and their components, such as the mouthpiece, heating element, and power supply, are not on TSA’s prohibited items list and generally are permitted through the screening checkpoint after proper security screening.

It is important to note, however, that regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, TSOs make the final decision on whether to permit certain items into the sterile areas of the airport. In addition, the prohibited and permitted items list is not intended to be all-inclusive; TSA reviews these lists periodically, and changes are announced and posted as necessary.

The liquid content of e-cigarettes and refills is also generally permitted through TSA security checkpoints if it is compliant with 3-1-1 rules. Current TSA policy allows passengers to carry liquids, gels, and aerosols through the security checkpoint in their carry-on property in containers of 3.4 ounces or smaller. At the screening checkpoint, each passenger is asked to remove his or her quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols and place it on the conveyor belt for proper security screening. For more information about TSA’s 3-1-1 policy, please see http: www.tsa.gov 311 index.shtm.

Passengers wishing to use e-cigarettes on commercial aircraft are encouraged to contact their airlines—TSA does not regulate the use of e-cigarettes in aircraft cabins.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Travelers can go directly to these tips at http: www.tsa.gov traveler-information .

Passengers may carry most consumer batteries and personal battery-powered devices through security screening checkpoints and on board commercial aircraft. Spare batteries placed in a passenger’s carry-on baggage must be protected from damage and short circuit, and battery-powered devices should be protected from accidental activation.

When intended for personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This applies to cell phone batteries, hearing-aid button cells, most standard laptop computer batteries, and AA and AAA batteries commonly available in retail stores.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage and in aircraft cabins include:

• Dry cell alkaline batteries (common-use AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, etc.).
• Dry cell rechargeable batteries, such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
• Lithium ion batteries (such as rechargeable lithium and lithium polymer batteries found in cameras, cell phones, laptop computers and radio-controlled toys) with less than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content (ELC) (or 100 watt hours per battery).
• Up to two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of ELC per battery), such as batteries found in large, after-market laptop computers or used in professional audio-visual application.
• Lithium metal batteries (non-rechargeable and primary lithium batteries) generally used with cameras and other small personal electronics.

With the exception of spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are allowed in checked baggage. Batteries in checked baggage must be installed in a device or, if uninstalled, protected from damage and short circuit. If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, passengers should insulate battery terminals from contact with metal and other batteries. Each battery should be placed in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or secured with tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage. In addition, lithium ion batteries rated over 300 watt hours (25g ELC) are forbidden.

Please be advised that while TSA screens all checked baggage, airlines make the decision to remove dangerous or hazardous materials from checked bags following inspection. Therefore, we recommend that travelers contact their airline prior to their travel date to determine any additional guidelines.

For further information regarding the transport of batteries and battery-powered devices on commercial aircraft, travelers should visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Web site athttp://safetravel.dot.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The most important thing in my tiney little mind is to be very nice to the TSA folks while you are being screened and ask them how to display your vape gear.

It works wonders!

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd advise against trying to get one of those mods that looks like a grenade past TSA... and if you do, don't joke about it, they don't have much of a sense of humor...

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know for a fact that @m3rma1d has vooped mid-flight.

I did not, I veeped. :)
10593171_10205310298222854_8954126200867735168_n.jpg

mommabird62

Member For 4 Years
I did not, I veeped. :)
10593171_10205310298222854_8954126200867735168_n.jpg

LOL I am traveling to St Thomas soon and decided instead of carrying any of my usual mods, I picked up an iStick and a istaste vv3 that I still have. Won't have to worry about batteries, chargers and building gear. But dang, I am going to miss my usual gear....and my dogs! LOL

I loaded a Nautilus on the istick, which is as big as the mod itself and it vapes darn good. As for stealth, I will have some swedish snus handy for on the plane;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

Someone beat me to this. I wanted an ecig disguised as an asthmatic inhaler so I wouldn't have to hide or stealth my hits. I saw one offered somewhere on the web. As I remember they were pricey ($200+). I always end up having to make several trips to the john to hide but at least that option still exists. No one, ever, seems to question a medical device like an inhaler carried in a pocket. Maybe purses are a little more stealthy. Hope you're having a great time at St Tom.

VU Sponsors