Become a Patron!

Vaping as a smoking cessation fails most of the time. From my observations

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just in my observations of those around me who tried vaping but went back to smoking.
1 out of 10 succeed with vaping as a smoking cessation tool.
Now this is just based on my limited observations. But I suspect it holds true.

Many reasons.
It being more trouble than smoking probably being the main reason that vaping was given up.

Any idiot can light a cig and suck.
Vaping is lots more complicated.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Giving up cigarettes 100% was one of the greatest epic struggles of my life and I dual used to varying degrees for 2.5 years.

Couldn't have done it if I didn't want it bad enough. In the end, I needed the WTA to be smoke free for a little over six months now. I suspect a lot of folks who fail also need more than nic to do it.

A true plug and play vape that doesn't have the shortcomings of what is available on the market now would certainly help though

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Giving up cigarettes 100% was one of the greatest epic struggles of my life and I dual used to varying degrees for 2.5 years.

Couldn't have done it if I didn't want it bad enough. In the end, I needed the WTA to be smoke free for a little over six months now. I suspect a lot of folks who fail also need more than nic to do it.

A true plug and play vape that doesn't have the shortcomings of what is available on the market now would certainly help though
They exist but cost more than smoking in most places.
Similar to how all approved vaping will likely be in a couple of years or less.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With me it worked pretty well.
Wife unit snuck and got me a way overpriced cigalike kit. so I figured I would try it. Thought this could work but was not paying the price for the prefilled cartos.Ordered some unfilled ones and started filling them.
Was off of cigs in 2 weeks. Still craved but nic held it off enough.
Then got some Esmart disposable clearos. Better!
Then had trouble with most of the ejuice except for one cheap tobacco.
Started DIY. Much better.
Moved up to T3S and Evods. Better still.
Started rebuilding coils. Even Better.
Then moved to mostly Subtank Mini's almost 1 yr ago and still mostly there.

Most will not go thru all of that though.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I smoked for 48+ yrs. then started vaping, the day I started vaping was the last day I smoked. same for my wife, it's been 3+ years now. Will never smoke again just because now I can breath, climb stairs without huffing and puffing, and don't cough every 2 minutes. For their health alone I can't see anyone returning to smoking!!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
When I was trying to quit someone recommended one of those self-help quit smoking books, which I did find for 99 cents on Amazon kindle. The book was boring as hell and not that inspirational to me but I did get one good takeaway that helped me quit: It pointed out how hard it was to become a tobacco addict in the first place and how, as a very young teenager, I really had to work at it.

Definitely took that to heart in trying to get a vape as satisfying as a smoke, lol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I smoked for 48+ yrs. then started vaping, the day I started vaping was the last day I smoked. same for my wife, it's been 3+ years now. Will never smoke again just because now I can breath, climb stairs without huffing and puffing, and don't cough every 2 minutes. For their health alone I can't see anyone returning to smoking!!
Good you you and your wife.
Same with me. I finished the pack of cigs I had and that was it.
Most who try vaping and fail never show up on here or similar boards.
We are a very minor number of vapers out there.
I think that all who succeed adopt vaping as some degree of a hobby as well.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I guess I was just ready. Had gotten really sick and couldn't breathe. Then a buddy called and said he hadn't smoked in like 3 weeks, I hobbled out to the truck, headed down to the local vape shop. Paid way to much for a Kanger TopBox Nano and by the 4th day looked at my mostly empty pack of cigarettes and said these are the last.

I keep the last one in the truck, it's my F/U smoke. One day I'll open that box of Marlboro's and find nothing but dust.

There were a couple of mornings that were just a little shaky, but it's been almost 2 months and I seriously don't miss it.

I also think my Gadget Geekin Tendencies help, that and it just tastes better, no Butts, No Ashtrays, and this breathing stuff is pretty damn cool.

I have 3 mods, 4 sub-ohm tanks and a couple of juices I really like.

I am down to 3% nicotine, and the goal is to be 0% by the end of summer.

There is a placebo affect just inhaling the Vape that I think satisfies a whole lot of the "craving" for me.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
They exist but cost more than smoking in most places.
Similar to how all approved vaping will likely be in a couple of years or less.

A true plug and play without b.s? Post a link, I'll get it for my mister, would be worth it.

He wants to quit with vaping because he has COPD. His heart isn't really in it because of all the quirks.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am glad it worked for you Robert. Around here you see so many vapers, I only know one who quit but he quit everything which is good. As little life that I have left I'll probably vape till I die. If I was still smoking I more than likely would already be dead.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I knew I needed to quit because my smoker's cough was so bad that I couldn't bend over without a massive coughing fit, had that persistent cough that precedes the cancer, and had watched my father die from lung cancer, so I knew my fate if I continued. But, I was too hooked on the nicotine (and the other crap). I tried the patch and before it was over was wearing two of the med strength patches AND smoking nearly a pack a day (that whole something to do with hands and the motion of inhaling, etc was missing with the patch, plus it was impossible to properly self-regulate my nicotine dosage with it). Vaping was a perfect fit, though. Sure, it might not save me from getting lung cancer, but I think it improves my odds greatly and my smoker's cough was gone nearly immediately.

I think how successful it is depends on if the person is really ready to transition away from tobacco.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I am glad it worked for you Robert. Around here you see so many vapers, I only know one who quit but he quit everything which is good. As little life that I have left I'll probably vape till I die. If I was still smoking I more than likely would already be dead.

Glad it worked out for you! I smoked for over 37 years and was at 2.5 PAD or sometimes more for the last 20 years.

I had resigned myself to the fact that I would likely die a smoker and if not prematurely (there are many very long-lived smokers in my family) but with a greatly diminished quality of life.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I quit smoking the day I began vaping. Two of my six employees also quit smoking, not the same day, nonetheless quit by vaping.

Mind you, my help made an impact, they didn't have a clue about vaping. Asking them if they would try vaping, both said: You mean those cigalikes things I see in convenience stores?

Although you might be correct Bob, I believe with proper gear and additional knowledge the odds of quitting would be exponentially higher.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There's something to be said for the fiddling and tinkering aspect. That's one of the things my grandpa enjoyed about his pipe. He liked the flavor of the tobacco he used and smoking it (of course), but he also enjoyed the whole ritual of it (the cleaning, loading, etc).

The negative is the gear that simply doesn't work. When I was using clearomizers and tanks with cartos, many times I got bad cartos (or clearos) that simply didn't work, or barely worked. That is a huge turn off for those that are new to the scene.

Ablonz

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I guess I am not doing to bad in my so called research of vaping for a cessation tool. My dad is my biggest success story and then I had 2 friends try but they went back to smoking because of how much simpler it was to light up a smoke. My dad on the other hand still does the dual use but a pack now lasts him 2 weeks instead of 3 packs a day. Now he is getting to the point of going a day or 2 during the week without a single smoke. He has been smoking for 59 years now and most definitely enjoys his 24 mg Unflavored. It's nice to hear him say that the smokes taste like shit now. I smile everytime I hear that. Just got done making hime 740 ml of juice the other week. That would get him through till next summer when he comes back since he is a snowbird. Like the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink." I think it all has to do with the mentality of them wanting to quit smoking first.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A true plug and play without b.s? Post a link, I'll get it for my mister, would be worth it.

He wants to quit with vaping because he has COPD. His heart isn't really in it because of all the quirks.
I can't remember the name of the one I am thinking of Todd and several others reviewed it.
Uses a rectangular cartridge that just snaps in with 5 ml of juice, coil, etc in there.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Although you might be correct Bob, I believe with proper gear and additional knowledge the odds of quitting would be exponentially higher.
Yes that would help a lot.
The vape shpos selling a 100watt mod and tank setup to a beginning vaper is kinds stupid imho.

With all that said vaping is still not for everyone but is a valuable tool to get off the smokes.
40+ year smoker 10 packs a week for full strength.
No smokes for over 1.5 years now.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes that would help a lot.
The vape shpos selling a 100watt mod and tank setup to a beginning vaper is kinds stupid imho.

With all that said vaping is still not for everyone but is a valuable tool to get off the smokes.
40+ year smoker 10 packs a week for full strength.
No smokes for over 1.5 years now.
THIS works for the right person though. I love my local (expensive) vape shop. I started on an ego pen for about 2 weeks, went in complaining it wasnt doing it for me and they set me up with a kbox 70 and a nautilus. That worked for about another month but then I got sick of the expense of coils and a persistent leaking issue I had. So they got me started on a subohm tank (ijust2). That satisfied me for another month or so but the prebuilt coil expense was still bugging me so we started me on a dripper. THAT was when I was good to go. I didn't smoke throughout the process but if they had started me on a dripper I would have been set. I'm now using an rx 200 with a temple as my adv and have been playing with a noisy cricket at home. We all have different tastes and for some people the small pen style or low power devices don't work well. If I hadn't had such a supportive local brick and mortar shop to help me along I would have never stuck with it.

BoostAddict

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It was easy for me . I lost my Mom and Dad to lung cancer because of smoking. Should i say more?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

digarette is the one I was thinking of.
Here is a Busardo review on it. Grimm liked his and most of the juice as well.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
THIS works for the right person though. I love my local (expensive) vape shop. I started on an ego pen for about 2 weeks, went in complaining it wasnt doing it for me and they set me up with a kbox 70 and a nautilus. That worked for about another month but then I got sick of the expense of coils and a persistent leaking issue I had. So they got me started on a subohm tank (ijust2). That satisfied me for another month or so but the prebuilt coil expense was still bugging me so we started me on a dripper. THAT was when I was good to go. I didn't smoke throughout the process but if they had started me on a dripper I would have been set. I'm now using an rx 200 with a temple as my adv and have been playing with a noisy cricket at home. We all have different tastes and for some people the small pen style or low power devices don't work well. If I hadn't had such a supportive local brick and mortar shop to help me along I would have never stuck with it.
Most that start straight out on a subohm or dripper will cough their lungs out and give up on it.
Notice that you built up?

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most that start straight out on a subohm or dripper will cough their lungs out and give up on it.
Notice that you built up?
I do, but I still think direct to a dripper would have worked for me, although everyone is different and I may be wrong. My wife went straight to a dripper when I outgrew my kbox, and never had an issue. She was a very occasional smoker and uses 0mg nic juices. But, I had it set up as a mtl pull when she took it to that would have made a significant difference.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That's is also part of my Mr.'s problem too - he gets frustrated with the normal coughing most vapers get when first vaping.

It took me about three weeks to stop with the coughing.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had no coughing problems with the cigalikes or Evods.
Now when I first tried my subtanks at a higher wattage. LOL it was rough.
I still do most of my vaping around 20 watts.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Why do people fail = Nic level. I started 7 years ago on cigalikes with a number of others. I would be the only one left in the end still vaping. None of us intended to give up smoking just to try them. For me it was perfect why? I smoked 9mg of nic a day (in the UK it tells you how much nic is in each cig). I also vaped 9mg of nic a day. My friends who smoked a pack a day were not satisfied with vaping e-cig as much as l. Also the cost and availability was prohibitive for them. You can pick up a pack of cigs anywere, thus easier to smoke.

In today's market one doesn't need to start with cigalikes, but directly to a sub ohm coil and wide drip tip is not for everyone. The more l read from new starters and my own experience of moving from 5 years on an ego pen to this new market, is that l think you need to progress to the "advanced" vaping stuff. I did not and ended buying stuff to complete the step l missed out. I now know l am (and always have been) a mtl girl.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A lot of us are not so much addicted to nicotine as we are the alkaloids in tobacco. I could not fully quit until I started using WTA
Oh l this conversation with AndriaD. She didn't explain what she meant. How do you know which one you are?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Oh l this conversation with AndriaD. She didn't explain what she meant. How do you know which one you are?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When you have the same anxiousness and irritability of quitting cold turkey as you do with vaping.

When you just can't stop feeling anxious and still keep smoking no matter how much you vape and how much will power you put into it.

Once I got WTA I was able to completely stop without any anxiety or the typical nervousness and feeling of agitation.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you have the same anxiousness and irritability of quitting cold turkey as you do with vaping.

When you just can't stop feeling anxious and still keep smoking no matter how much you vape and how much will power you put into it.

Once I got WTA I was able to completely stop without any anxiety or the typical nervousness and feeling of agitation.
So you felt like this when you where vaping? Right from the get go?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'd be happy with vaping for a few hours then need a cig, period. When I upped the nic level in my vape I actually smoked more cigarettes than at lower nic vaping levels.

Vape7od

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good you you and your wife.
Same with me. I finished the pack of cigs I had and that was it.
Most who try vaping and fail never show up on here or similar boards.
We are a very minor number of vapers out there.
I think that all who succeed adopt vaping as some degree of a hobby as well.
I think your absolutely right.. The most succesful quitters seem to be those who are now hobbyist vapers to some degree.. I was ready to quit when i finally picked up my first vape. It was a joyetech AIO then within a week i upgraded to a maus tank n cuboid bu week 3 i had my first rda, at a month in i was working on my first clapton coils,then got my first mech mod, and by 2 months i was building my own duel fused claptons in a noisey cricket.. Now its about 3 months in and i havent smoked a Newport, have built up the small collection of gear that is pictured below, i am researching building my own box and DIY juice, and i have a part time job at the B&M that i first started at.. My wife, who i love dearly, started vaping tge same wesk i did but is currently smoking more than vaping. She stopped cigs completely for about a week or 2 (at least thats what she told me atthe time) but she just cant seem to get back off the smokes.
I say all that to show how my experience as a hobbyist seems to be the main difference between me and my wifes ability and interest in quitting. I think when a person puts so much time money and effort into vaping it makes it mentally harder to convince themselves smokin is a good choice.
Sometimes i still crave a Newport but i just dont smoke because it no longer fits into my lifestyle and/or thought pattern now that i am a rather obsessed vaper..
Peace and Wick Grease..

de311b17d74776cf317e97de0647f944.jpg

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Vape7od

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A lot of us are not so much addicted to nicotine as we are the alkaloids in tobacco. I could not fully quit until I started using WTA
Whays WTA?
That's is also part of my Mr.'s problem too - he gets frustrated with the normal coughing most vapers get when first vaping.

It took me about three weeks to stop with the coughing.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
vaping is no magic bullet....so let's not fool ourselves it is....to beat the devil of addiction may take a variety of things and approaches,......vapers used to understand that...we used to be more concerned with beating smoking than collecting gear.....but there is no doubt in my lifetime vaping has proven to be one of the best if not the best tool in the toolbox to kick smoking....also it is the best nicotine replacment therapy, and the best alternative to smoking......but just because you don't put down cigs after trying vaping is no reason to stop vaping use it alongside other things to stop smoking.

Satchvai

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I taught government mandated smoking cessation classes. Vaping and quitting cold turkey, the two statistically best ways to quit, were criticised while NRT and Chantix were praised. Vaping is an incredible smoking cessation product. A recent European study showed results in the 30% range. Compared to NRT, which is in the 5 to 8% range, vaping IS a magic bullet. It worked for me, a 30 year smoker and my older brother, a 40 year smoker. I went full hobbyist mode but he just uses an I taste 30 with a Nautilus mini and 3 strong flavors and is perfectly content.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't want to stop smoking you can always find reasons why not to.
If you do, vaping is the best method.
I did not really want to quit smoking.
But thought I would give vaping a shot since the wife unit had bought me a way overpriced cigalike setup.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I taught government mandated smoking cessation classes. Vaping and quitting cold turkey, the two statistically best ways to quit, were criticised while NRT and Chantix were praised. Vaping is an incredible smoking cessation product. A recent European study showed results in the 30% range. Compared to NRT, which is in the 5 to 8% range, vaping IS a magic bullet. It worked for me, a 30 year smoker and my older brother, a 40 year smoker. I went full hobbyist mode but he just uses an I taste 30 with a Nautilus mini and 3 strong flavors and is perfectly content.
no, 30% is not a magic bullet and saying it is is setting people up for failure....when people try and say lose wieght there is no magic bullet there is no one diet that works...it is a combined effort on many fronts that helps people lose wieght.....the amount they eat...what they eat...exercise, lifstyle changes, all need to be brought into play for an effective and substainable wieght loss program...and so it is with quitting smoking.There is no one reason people started and continued t smoke there will be no one solution for everybody....vaping was created to be a smoking cessation therapy not a cult.

Last edited:

Satchvai

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
no, 30% is not a magic bullet and saying it is is setting people up for failure....when people try and say lose wieght there is no magic bullet there is no one diet that works...it is a combined effort on many fronts that helps people lose wieght.....the amount they eat...what they eat...exercise, lifstyle changes, all need to be brought into play for an effective and substainable wieght loss program...and so it is with quitting smoking.There is no one reason people started and continued t smoke there will be no one solution for everybody....
I forgot to include "in comparison to current products available on the market" Typing on a tablet is a PITA sometimes. I don't think it's setting up anyone for failure if they know the chances going in.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Before vaping came into my life the longest I'd been able to go without lighting up was about two weeks. Since vaping, it's now been seventy three days and counting. I absolutely have no intention of ever light another analog.
Yes vaping does work for some of us.
Did for me. In past years I had quit using various other methods, but the longest I stayed quit was about 3 months.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was not easy for me either and I went between the two for a while. I was not until I got a decent set up (Kanger Subox mini kit) that I was able to get away from it. I still get the urge to smoke, especially when I'm around someone rolling their own cig. I shared a cig with my wife last November on her bday (she only smokes on the rarest of occasions) and it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever put in my mouth at the time. I think I'm done forever, at least I hope so.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was not easy for me either and I went between the two for a while. I was not until I got a decent set up (Kanger Subox mini kit) that I was able to get away from it. I still get the urge to smoke, especially when I'm around someone rolling their own cig. I shared a cig with my wife last November on her bday (she only smokes on the rarest of occasions) and it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever put in my mouth at the time. I think I'm done forever, at least I hope so.
I hope so too.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me there is no magic bullet....the thing that probblly helped me the most was Niacin...I had read several articles of Orthomolecuar Doctors who had started using high doese of niacin to treat alcoholisim and depression, and they found some succsses with smoking.... regular exercise routine,staying busy, niacin, and vaping it's what helped me.

An interesting piece of information to consider is 80% of schizphrrenics smoke......that is one helluva big number....these people are self medicating with whatever is in smoking tobacco I'm betting it is the MAOIs in tobacco smoke......for alot of us we started smoking young in an attempt to deal with insurmountable problems that the adults around us were not equipped to deal with..the blind leading the blind, and especailly among the poor and blue collar , the tools they used were alcohol, violence,,drugs, and tobacco.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me smoking was a red flag...my smoking rose and fell depending on how i lived my life....when I did things, and had a lifestyle tht was not true to myslef or unhealthy for me physically,spiritully or psycologically..my smoking rose...when I did things that inspired me or affirmed my true health in all senses of the word,,my smoking fell....,you don't run across many happy addicts.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having a kid helped me quit. I never liked to hold her after I had smoked and constantly washing my hands and changing my clothes got old fast. Also, the first time she pushed me away and told me I smelled funny was a enough motivation for me to take stopping seriously.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Until vaping came along I tried to stop smoking 3 times each time for 3 months, at one of those times I pulled out a filling from chewing too much Nicorette gum.
With Vaping I threw away my half full pack the same day I started vaping and haven't looked back for the last 4 years.

VU Sponsors