Become a Patron!

Vaping deemed as harmful as traditional cigarettes

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More of the same ole bullshit

Yep. I've been vaping for 5 years, and each time I read such an article, it flies in the face of:

1/ My yearly lung X-rays
2/ My twice-yearly cardiovascular checkups
3/ My bicycle racing times

The press keeps saying the reverse of what I *know* to be true, with continuous medical evidence going back 5 years to prove it. It's maddening :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ain't in Illinois - fuck, I ain't even in the US no more, thank god - and I can tell you this: this sort of yellow journalism keeps cropping out the world over. It's amazing the number of people I meet who tell me "Yeah, but I read in <insert you local rag here> that vaping is bad for you!"

How can I explain in 10 seconds that no, what you read is an article paid for by the tobacco/pharma industries, and no <your local rag> isn't impartial - or, at best, reports shit they don't know nothing about - and yes, I'm sure vaping is safe because I'm a heavy vaper and I fucking came here with my bike that's parked right outside?

Not easy...

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I ain't in Illinois - fuck, I ain't even in the US no more, thank god - and I can tell you this: this sort of yellow journalism keeps cropping out the world over. It's amazing the number of people I meet who tell me "Yeah, but I read in <insert you local rag here> that vaping is bad for you!"

How can I explain in 10 seconds that no, what you read is an article paid for by the tobacco/pharma industries, and no <your local rag> isn't impartial - or, at best, reports shit they don't know nothing about - and yes, I'm sure vaping is safe because I'm a heavy vaper and I fucking came here with my bike that's parked right outside?

Not easy...
It's not just about the yellow journalism, either. It's about the vast majority of citizens simply not caring about corrupt politics, and, if you even dare talk about common decency human ethics related subjects such as wealth distribution / the rich getting richer due to consuming the poor, then suddenly it's called obvious things like envy and "watch out, communists are coming!"

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
While e-cigarettes sales continue to grow, health departments throughout the nation are campaigning against the devices that rapidly are overtaking traditional cigarettes on the smoking market.
Overtaking? Really? News to me. BT would be seriously on the ropes if this were true.

Tobacco companies have marketed e-cigarettes as "smoking cessation" devices
I don't think so. The FDA wouldn't stand still for that.

The local department has joined forces with the Illinois Tobacco Quitline in an advertising campaign to help people stop smoking.

One of the ads that appeared last week in the Daily Journal displayed a traditional cigarette and e-cigarette next to each other with "Two wrongs don't make a right" across the top.
Wait, Ill-noise is in a financial death spiral, $15 billion behind in paying vendors, but somehow they have money to spend on ads disparaging vaping?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No one seems to be paying any attention to that rule.
I hear on the radio daily vape shops touting vaping as smoking cessation.
I have no problem with that but it is now technically forbidden in the USA is it not?

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No one seems to be paying any attention to that rule.
I hear on the radio daily vape shops touting vaping as smoking cessation.
I have no problem with that but it is now technically forbidden in the USA is it not?
Correct, they are not supposed to do that. But small, independent vape shops are hardly "tobacco companies" are they?

I pretty much guarantee you that if any of the Big Tobacco (or even Big Vapor) companies advertised their products that way, the FDA would slap them with charges that they're selling an "unapproved drug delivery device" or something similar.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Overtaking? Really? News to me. BT would be seriously on the ropes if this were true.

Wait, Ill-noise is in a financial death spiral, $15 billion behind in paying vendors, but somehow they have money to spend on ads disparaging vaping?

MSA-tobaccobonds.jpg

Notice how Illinois is #3 on that list; 100% of revenue from the infamous MSA is pledged to repay those toxic bonds.

Andria

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My guess is, it's a "you gotta spend money to make money" thing.

Ill-noise can't pay it's bills so they need to convince people raising tax on vaping for health reasons is a good idea. First disparage vaping, then raise taxes for the people's own good.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So far this weekend, there have been 39 shootings with 4 fatalities in Chicago. It's not the smoking or vaping that kills in Illinois, it's living there.
Per capita not much worse than many other cities such as Lexington KY.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Gee, it's almost like violent criminals are attracted to victims they know can't defend themselves.
Who coulda predicted that?... :crazy:

Heh. My dad had one of those stickers on his truck: "Protected by Smith & Wesson." And it really was! :giggle:

Andria

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:xD::cry::cry::xD::cry::xD::xD::cry:
I live in Illinois. For the moment I have to. Don't get me started on the idiots in this state; I think the asasination remarks from the media are sorely misplaced. Missouri is 5 miles away and I notice they're not on the list. Don't know why I crossed the river to live here but I think it has something to do with my wife's job......the state! For the moment she gets paid, but without anything getting done in Springfield, I am expecting that to end at any day. When it does, you can rest assured that these fools will get nothing else from me.........they can go rot in Hades!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ST Louis Is about #3 I think on the murder hit list.

Yep check my link. #3 on gun murders and #1 by a landslide on non fatal shootings.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Per capita not much worse than many other cities such as Lexington KY.

What the fuck does that have to do with the 39 shootings in Shitcago? Nothing, unless you are trying to deflect.

Lexington, St Louis, and Atlanta being murderous shit holes have nothing to do with @Khassy point that Shitcago is a murderous shit hole. Unless you're trying to point out that lots of liberal cities, like nearly every single one on your list, are murderous shit holes.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, Atlanta just has a lot of crazy people. :giggle:

Andria
All big cities do.
Every farmer know that if you put too many critters in a crowded area they will fight and carry on.

20K or less is my tolerable city.
Just to visit though not to live in.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
:xD::cry::cry::xD::cry::xD::xD::cry:
I live in Illinois. For the moment I have to. Don't get me started on the idiots in this state; I think the asasination remarks from the media are sorely misplaced. Missouri is 5 miles away and I notice they're not on the list. Don't know why I crossed the river to live here but I think it has something to do with my wife's job......the state! For the moment she gets paid, but without anything getting done in Springfield, I am expecting that to end at any day. When it does, you can rest assured that these fools will get nothing else from me.........they can go rot in Hades!

Well, then there's this that just happened...

BREAKING: Illinois House approves a permanent income tax hike 72-45.

Personal income tax rate increases to 4.95% from 3.75%.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, then there's this that just happened...

BREAKING: Illinois House approves a permanent income tax hike 72-45.

Personal income tax rate increases to 4.95% from 3.75%.
KY's personal income tax rate starts out at 5% and goes up to 6%.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All big cities do.
Every farmer know that if you put too many critters in a crowded area they will fight and carry on.

20K or less is my tolerable city.
Just to visit though not to live in.

The town I live in, the population is stated as 30,212... but I note that the city limits is drawn rather creatively...

Lville.jpg

I live in the area where that black circle is drawn, just outside the city limits, though it surrounds us on 3 sides. If you drew a big circle around all of it, including all the gerrymandered extensions, it would probably be in the neighborhood of 50,000; draw another circle outside that by 5-10 miles, and it would probably jump to 75,000 or more, which accounts for the congestion of the major shopping areas around here, and the major roads. I.e., too damn many people, but still a lot better than "Atlanta proper."

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The town I live in, the population is stated as 30,212... but I note that the city limits is drawn rather creatively...

View attachment 85796

I live in the area where that black circle is drawn, just outside the city limits, though it surrounds us on 3 sides. If you drew a big circle around all of it, including all the gerrymandered extensions, it would probably be in the neighborhood of 50,000; draw another circle outside that by 5-10 miles, and it would probably jump to 75,000 or more, which accounts for the congestion of the major shopping areas around here, and the major roads. I.e., too damn many people, but still a lot better than "Atlanta proper."

Andria
Talk about creative annexation.
My hometown in Eastern KY only annexed property above a certain elevation because no one lived up there and could not fight it. they wanted to build a golf club on a strip mine area.
there is no way to drive there without leaving the city limits :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Talk about creative annexation.
My hometown in Eastern KY only annexed property above a certain elevation because no one lived up there and could not fight it. they wanted to build a golf club on a strip mine area.
there is no way to drive there without leaving the city limits :)

When I zoom in a bit to see what actually lies inside the city limits, it seems to take in a lot of schools, major shopping areas, and the Gwinnett county airport (more of an airstrip really, though lately enlarged to permit jet traffic), so it's undoubtedly something to do with taxation/revenue.

That little cutout where I live is an area of "pocket neighborhoods," high-density single-family homes in quite a few subdivisions. Leaving us out of the city limits is probably to our advantage, so we call on Gwinnett Co. resources rather than city resources; it's a HUGE county, one of the largest in GA, with one of the highest tax rates, so that really is a big advantage.

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I hate to rain on your parade, but here in Belgium... personal income tax rate starts at 25% and goes up to 50%.
They are talking about State income taxes. Those are on top of the Federal income tax, which tops out just over 40% (including the Medicare tax).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate to rain on your parade, but here in Belgium... personal income tax rate starts at 25% and goes up to 50%.
That was just state income taxes, we also have Federal income taxes at a much higher rate.
some cities also have "payroll taxes'. You make money from a job there you pay a few percent.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They are talking about State income taxes. Those are on top of the Federal income tax, which tops out just over 40% (including the Medicare tax).
That was just state income taxes, we also have Federal income taxes at a much higher rate.
some cities also have "payroll taxes'. You make money from a job there you pay a few percent.
I was talking about state income taxes too... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Belgium

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
In the US, total taxes collected by all levels of government are about 40% of GDP. In Belgium, they're about 48%. No one is surprised that Belgium has somewhat higher taxes overall than the US does. We were simply clarifying that the single-digit percentages that were mentioned some posts back are not even close to the total income and payroll taxes that most people have to pay.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In the US, total taxes collected by all levels of government are about 40% of GDP. In Belgium, they're about 48%. No one is surprised that Belgium has somewhat higher taxes overall than the US does. We were simply clarifying that the single-digit percentages that were mentioned some posts back are not even close to the total income and payroll taxes that most people have to pay.
I know. I was only trying to be funny... just remember the grass is always greener on the other side of The Pond! :giggle:

VU Sponsors