Become a Patron!

Vaping Essentials? Newbie

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, newbie here! I am going to list a few that I am about to purchase online in Malaysia (I am from PH, btw) I want to know if it is really needed and want to know your suggestions on what I still need.

1. Evic VTC mini mod
2. Billow V2 RTA
3. Lg HG2 batt
4. NiteCore i2 charger

Add-ons (for future use when I learn how to rebuild my tank)

5. UD SS316L resistance wire 26ga
6. Muji organic cotton
7. Coil Master V1

Add-ons (accessories)

8. Evic VTC mini silicone case
9. 510 thread heat sink

Add-ons (extras)
10. UD Goblin mini RTA
11. Hellboy RDA

Questions:
1. Do I need Kanthal or Ti/Ni wire too?
2. What else do I need or not need?

Sorry for the lengthy post! ✌ Thanks everyone!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice list! Very nice.
If you get more batteries, I'd get a 4 bay charger, instead of a 2 bay.
Since you're getting Stainless Steel wire, you might not need nickel, just depends on what your preference is, really.

Definitely get the ohm reader, as suggested. You might need a back up mod and tank, too. I've dropped stuff, it's important, LOL.

Welcome to VU. :) Cute baby!

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice list! Very nice.
If you get more batteries, I'd get a 4 bay charger, instead of a 2 bay.
Since you're getting Stainless Steel wire, you might not need nickel, just depends on what your preference is, really.

Definitely get the ohm reader, as suggested. You might need a back up mod and tank, too. I've dropped stuff, it's important, LOL.

Welcome to VU. :) Cute baby!

Thanks! ☺️

Oh okay probably should get the D4 instead.

It's because vape wires here in PH is expensive that's why I want to know if I should get other wires too cause it's way cheaper in Malaysia and it's going to be a one time order.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Change the Billow V2 to a nano version and the gauge of the wire to 28ga and you'll have it.

Cool list by the way. Looks like you really researched before you wrote it.

What is your vaping style? Are you an ex smoker? Or do you inhale directly into your lungs? What is your experience and your current wattage level?
Then I maybe can help with some of the other questions.

I see. Is the billow nano better? I chose the billow v2 because it has 5ml capacity. About the wire gauge, originally it was 28ga but I read somewhere that it's going to be dangerous to use SS 28ga if you don't know what you're doing or when you build it with the wrong ohm something like that. So I kind of chickened out. Or maybe I am wrong. Lol.

Thanks for checking out my post. I am still researching to know more and better about vaping.

I tried vaping year 2012 and used commando (I don't know what you call those mod, mech mod?) and an unknown tank. That time I didn't research or anything I just bought and put juice and vaped, I wasn't satisfied because clearly I didn't know what I was doing so I went back to smoking. So now I am determined to really quit and make sure I buy the right stuff.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off, nice list!

That said, I'd take the advice from @Shark Vape and get a tank with replaceable coils too - in case you don't take to building right away you'll have something ready to vape that will take a little of the frustration out of trying to perfect your builds.

If you're going to try your hand at building, I'd start with Kanthal in a few sizes - say 24, 26, and 28 - it's cheap enough, and different builds will like different wire. You won't be able to temperature-control the Kanthal, but it should be a bit more forgiving resistance-wise...

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would amend my earlier advice. You need to start with a coil head tank.
I think you'll find them much less frustrating until you learn a little bit more.

Besides, modern coil head tanks put out flavor / vapor like you wouldn't believe. Chances are you'll never need an RTA.

You'll have a better experience if you don't jump in the deep end at the beginning. jmo.

Go and check out the MTL - ex smoker's thread. There's a lot of stuff in there.

And yes, Kanthal is for vw, but not for VT.

Got it! I guess I'm stressing myself too much as a beginner. Lol! Many thanks @Shark Vape

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off, nice list!

That said, I'd take the advice from @Shark Vape and get a tank with replaceable coils too - in case you don't take to building right away you'll have something ready to vape that will take a little of the frustration out of trying to perfect your builds.

If you're going to try your hand at building, I'd start with Kanthal in a few sizes - say 24, 26, and 28 - it's cheap enough, and different builds will like different wire. You won't be able to temperature-control the Kanthal, but it should be a bit more forgiving resistance-wise...

Hi! Thanks! What tanks have replaceable coils? Of course I can research but it's easier if it comes from pros.

I think you're right I need to play with Kanthal as a practice till I get everything right for me.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is where you reach the fork in the road. On one side are the ex smokers, that is those who Vape MTL. Mouth to lung.

On the other side or the full to Vape directly into their lungs, mostly those who didn't ever smoke.

That's why I told you to search the MTL thread. Chances are you'll start out at least MTL period vaping like a smoker.

Copy that! Will start reading now. Thanks again!

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Kanthal works with VT/VW? This is my problem I don't know much about wires yet. Lol.
Yes, and actually, that'll be the only setting you can use with Kanthal.

Stainless Steel can be used in Power (vv/vw) or in TC with your mod. Ni and Ti can only be used in TC with any mod, that I'm aware of.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Stainless Steel can be used in Power (vv/vw) or in TC with your mod. Ni and Ti can only be used in TC with any mod, that I'm aware of.

Man I have a long way to go before I get the hang of vaping.

So with a CL Ni I can only use Ni wire, right? Same goes with a CL Ti? I asked this because the Evic VTC mini I am getting comes with the eGo One mega atty which comes with 2 CL atty head.

Then with let's say Goblin mini or any RDA, I can use any wire?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Then with let's say Goblin mini or any RDA, I can use any wire?
@Shark Vape would be able to answer that question better for you. I only use Kanthal when I build, so at least I know you can use that one.

I don't know anything about the eGo One Mega, but I've read several posts here saying there are better coil heads available for that one. I'm going to tag @DevAuto for that question. I might be wrong, but I thought I saw him posting about that one.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

To quit smoking, you don't need to learn anything. Pick up some crappy cigalikes and puff away.

I guess I'm stressing myself too much as a beginner.

Here's an analogy to help this along:
One of my home renovation clients changed his mind about an outside wall I rebuilt. He wanted to install an outside light, tying in to the wiring I just sealed up with drywall. His logic: "It can't be that difficult, can it? Just drill a hole through the wall and drop some wire down." That's the danger of homeowners getting motivated by home improvement shows, where jobs are started and finished between commercial breaks. There's DIY theory, and there's DIY reality.

Now shift that over to vaping:
DIY theory is "It can't be that difficult, can it? Wrap a coil and blow mad clouds."
DIY reality is that this stuff takes hours or days or weeks to learn. Which is why Shark and Dave suggested coil heads. Brainless. Just as easy as cigalikes, but far better.

You need to vape something stress-free while you're learning all this DIY stuff. Ohms law, wire, coil wrapping, coil install, wicking, etc. Also, there could be a lot of troubleshooting with the hardware.

Even though I had easy ways to vape, I was still motivated to learn DIY because of the money I was "wasting." I actually learned how to build coils by rebuilding the disposable attys (coil heads). I was burning up cash on juice, so I learned how to make it. Even now, my wife and I still have backup mods. If one of them dies, we casually find another while we keep vaping.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi! Thanks! What tanks have replaceable coils? Of course I can research but it's easier if it comes from pros.

I think you're right I need to play with Kanthal as a practice till I get everything right for me.
For a decent MTL tank that also has a rebuildable deck (so you almost get 2 tanks in one, though the best of neither), try the Kanger Subtank - it can handle mid-range power and offers draw options from super-tight to moderately open. You'll probably want the tighter draw first.
This is where you reach the fork in the road. On one side are the ex smokers, that is those who Vape MTL. Mouth to lung.

On the other side or the full to Vape directly into their lungs, mostly those who didn't ever smoke.

That's why I told you to search the MTL thread. Chances are you'll start out at least MTL period vaping like a smoker.
I'm going to disagree pretty heartily with this, at least with the "direct lung vapers are mostly people who never smoked." I smoked for 15 years, quit using a tight-draw MTL device (that's all there was at the time), and gradually progressed to enjoying a fuller vape as I evolved from a cigarette quitter to a hobbyist. There's no "wrong" way to vape based on your past habits or what you may prefer today.

@Shark Vape is right, though, in that lots of smokers start out as MTL users - I'm recommending the Subtank so you can experience something akin to both vaping styles and see what works for you.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
@Shark Vape would be able to answer that question better for you. I only use Kanthal when I build, so at least I know you can use that one.

I don't know anything about the eGo One Mega, but I've read several posts here saying there are better coil heads available for that one. I'm going to tag @DevAuto for that question. I might be wrong, but I thought I saw him posting about that one.

@Pauuuuula because this is going to be a one time buy, I would actually recommend against buying the eGo one mega. You would be better off with a Kanger sub-tank mini, for a couple of reasons. First, the eGo one coils are awful, and the Kanger coils are somewhat better (although not great), and as a general rule, Kanger coils are cheaper too. Second, the Kanger sub-tank mini comes with a build deck, so you can use the tank with a prebuilt coil, and practice building coils with the build deck. That way, when you run out of coils, or decide you are ready, you can keep using the same tank and won't have to replace it. Third, the eGo one tank is just plain cheap and not well constructed compared against the Kanger sub-tank mini.

Also, everything I wrote about the Kanger sub-tank mini also applies to the TFV4 Mini, if you buy the "full kit" it also comes with a build deck. I didn't recommend it over the Kanger primarily due to costs, the Kanger is much cheaper than the TFV4 all the way around, coils are half the price, the tank is less than half the price (if you can find it on sale), etc. Ultimately though, both would be ideal for you. The TFV4 Mini is better than the Kanger, BUT I use both tanks daily, because they are definitely both "good" tanks.

If you do decide to go with the eGo one tank, then you will want to find the CLR coils for it. The stock coils are absolutely miserable, and while I have never actually used the CLR coils with mine (it's really just sitting in a box right now) everyone I have talked to says the CLR coils are a LOT better than the standard CL coils, plus they can be rebuilt (that's what the R stands for).

I don't want to complicate things for you, so I would recommend NOT stocking up on TI, NI 200, SS, etc. until you know you are going to want to try them. Given that you are just starting out, I strongly suggest staying away from temperature controlled builds until you are comfortable with a working setup that fits your vaping needs. It adds a whole new level of complexity to vaping that you probably don't want to deal with just starting out. If you do want to try temperature control vaping, just use pre-built NI/TI/SS coils for now, until you are comfortable with rebuilding in general.

As a final note, as already mentioned somewhere above, get a backup set of everything. You don't want a single point of failure. If you only get one tank, then the tank gets broken (it happens) you won't be able to vape at all. What you get is totally up to you, but when you buy it, ask yourself "If this dies, can I still vape with what I have left?" ... If the answer is no, then you should probably buy 2. :)

HTH and good luck!

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

So with a Ni RBA I can only use Ni, right? Same goes with A Ti RBA? I asked this because the Evic VTC mini I am getting comes with the eGo One mega atty.
Then with let's say Goblin mini RBA, I can use any wire?

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ni/Ti CL head is the right term. Let me correct my self. Lol.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Pauuuuula because this is going to be a one time buy, I would actually recommend against buying the eGo one mega. You would be better off with a Kanger sub-tank mini, for a couple of reasons. First, the eGo one coils are awful, and the Kanger coils are somewhat better (although not great), and as a general rule, Kanger coils are cheaper too. Second, the Kanger sub-tank mini comes with a build deck, so you can use the tank with a prebuilt coil, and practice building coils with the build deck. That way, when you run out of coils, or decide you are ready, you can keep using the same tank and won't have to replace it. Third, the eGo one tank is just plain cheap and not well constructed compared against the Kanger sub-tank mini.

Also, everything I wrote about the Kanger sub-tank mini also applies to the TFV4 Mini, if you buy the "full kit" it also comes with a build deck. I didn't recommend it over the Kanger primarily due to costs, the Kanger is much cheaper than the TFV4 all the way around, coils are half the price, the tank is less than half the price (if you can find it on sale), etc. Ultimately though, both would be ideal for you. The TFV4 Mini is better than the Kanger, BUT I use both tanks daily, because they are definitely both "good" tanks.

If you do decide to go with the eGo one tank, then you will want to find the CLR coils for it. The stock coils are absolutely miserable, and while I have never actually used the CLR coils with mine (it's really just sitting in a box right now) everyone I have talked to says the CLR coils are a LOT better than the standard CL coils, plus they can be rebuilt (that's what the R stands for).

I don't want to complicate things for you, so I would recommend NOT stocking up on TI, NI 200, SS, etc. until you know you are going to want to try them. Given that you are just starting out, I strongly suggest staying away from temperature controlled builds until you are comfortable with a working setup that fits your vaping needs. It adds a whole new level of complexity to vaping that you probably don't want to deal with just starting out. If you do want to try temperature control vaping, just use pre-built NI/TI/SS coils for now, until you are comfortable with rebuilding in general.

As a final note, as already mentioned somewhere above, get a backup set of everything. You don't want a single point of failure. If you only get one tank, then the tank gets broken (it happens) you won't be able to vape at all. What you get is totally up to you, but when you buy it, ask yourself "If this dies, can I still vape with what I have left?" ... If the answer is no, then you should probably buy 2. :)

HTH and good luck!

Oh thanks! This answered my thoughts on the ego one mega. I'll take everything you said in consideration and take it in my brain one at a time. Haha! Information overload! But hey guys! Really thanks for everything.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What other mods are advisable aside from the evic mini?

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I should get myself a less complicated mod to use. But, what are the options? Because this is a one time buy, I need to buy everything I need now and future use. It's very expensive here in the PH. Very. So I want to make the most out of my one time chance.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guys, I need your opinion on these ff mods.

Egrip
Subox Nano
iStick 40/60W
Ipv 4s
iCandy 50W
Sigelei 50/75W
Smpl

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have posted this like 3 times now so im a broken record but if your just starting I would look at the VTC mini, Cuboid which is a 2 battery VTC or a wismec RX200. All three work very well and get very high marks. Im also not sure a Billow V2 is the best choice. I have one and have been rebuilding for years and frankly building on it sucks. Its small and cramped and you have to get the wick JUST right or it will dry burn or flood. Its just frustrating to build on frankly compared to my other stuff.

SS is a good choice I like it alot and it will work in VW mode oe TC mode. I would also buy a pair of ceramic tweezers. if your willing to spend the money I think coilmaster sells a full kit that has the coiler and tweezers, scissors, clippers and a bunch of stuff in it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Egrip - has a dedicated tank. Some really enjoyed these, but I can imagine they'd be hard to clean out.
Subox Nano - I don't have one, but have heard good things, and you'd likely be very happy with this as a back up. or even the regular sized one.
iStick 40/60W - I've heard good things about these, too. Don't get the 50w. A lot of people had trouble with them.
Ipv 4s - might be bigger than what you're looking for, but iPV makes good stuff.
iCandy 50W - haven't heard of this one.
Sigelei 50/75W - Lots of happy customers
Smpl - I don't recommend this to new vapers. I won't use one myself, but yes, they're quite nice looking.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
What other mods are advisable aside from the evic mini?
To be honest, the eVic VTC Mini (and likely it's newer big brother the Cuboid) is an awesome mod, and while it sounds complicated the way everyone talks, it really isn't. It is very versatile and can be as simple and bullet proof as you like, or it can be complicated if you choose to get complicated with it. It is a great mod for a beginner because you can start with simple settings and experiment with it as you grow and find your own vaping style and needs. I find it hard to recommend any other mods that would make such a great starter mod and have enough power to keep up with you into the future. Considering it's current price point, it really is the mod to beat. Don't get me wrong, there are other good, basic mods out there that you could start with, but they are very limiting and offer no room for growth.

Just my $0.02 on the subject, HTH!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
O'K
you may wanna pick up
bolt cutters
come along
9 pound sledge
arc welder
and a chainsaw.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guys! Thanks so much for all your inputs. Now I am decided to get the evic mini. And for back up maybe the subox nano and iStick. Depends on their availability.

My next concern is what atomizer to get.

The subox nano comes with a tank. How long can I use it before I change the coils? Or can I just rewick it? Are those disposable?

For RDA's how long will it take till I change coils? Or rewicking will do too?

Ni/Ti are for VT right? Same with SS when used on an evic mini? Then Kanthal is for VW only?

For battery charger, is it okay to get a universal charger?

I hope I don't annoy anyone by asking too much questions. I do research on my own too. Read and watch but of course I want other vapers opinion too. ✌️

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
image.png

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not enough new vapers with English as second language to mock at HEMO.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No, just go into threads where sombody it trying to get help, and be,.. well you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against assholes. Some of my friends are assholes. They are just not assholes posting crap to confuse someone who is trying to get off the stinkies.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, just go into threads where sombody it trying to get help, and be,.. well you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against assholes. Some of my friends are assholes. They are just not assholes posting crap to confuse someone who is trying to get off the stinkies.
mall-cop-2-photo-lead.jpg

Last edited:

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guys! Thanks so much for all your inputs. Now I am decided to get the evic mini. And for back up maybe the subox nano and iStick. Depends on their availability.

My next concern is what atomizer to get.

The subox nano comes with a tank. How long can I use it before I change the coils? Or can I just rewick it? Are those disposable?

For RDA's how long will it take till I change coils? Or rewicking will do too?

Ni/Ti are for VT right? Same with SS when used on an evic mini? Then Kanthal is for VW only?

For battery charger, is it okay to get a universal charger?

I hope I don't annoy anyone by asking too much questions. I do research on my own too. Read and watch but of course I want other vapers opinion too. ✌️

If your making a big one time buy than needs to last you I personally would scratch the sunbox and istick and either get 2 vtc mini's or better yet a vtc mini and a cuboid. for the price of the subbox and istick you could get the second one. The cuboid would be nice because it would give you longer battery life and/or the ability to vape more aggressive builds if you found that was your thing. The prices for the two really dont seem to be that vast where I have looked.

As far as tanks just do a lot of reading and video watching. You really want something with a nice open build deck. The griffon looks really nice actually as far as that goes the only downside is it has a smaller juice capacity. Im a fan of most new tanks that use the velocity style deck they just work awesome. Stuff like the billow v2 with that older offset post style just makes it a pain in the ass to build on and trying to fit coils in with that limited space.

Im a big fan or the armomamizer rdta but other are not so your just gonna have to really research. Good luck and I hope ya get everything ya need. Its a really good time to start to vape but the choices can be overwhelming.

Pauuuuula

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Oh. So I was right. He's being rude. But I ignored it because I thought everyone here is nice and helpful and what not.

Thanks @pulsevape. Maybe next time if you're annoyed with some posts, don't read them.

VU Sponsors