Become a Patron!

Vaping helps asthma!??

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That Rambach agar is used to test for salmonella but the PG is only a vehicle for the powder agar
mixed in with other goodies.
16c0w8j.jpg

See where the PG is only supplemental to the Rambach?
What makes it a good medium for growing salmonella isn't the PG it's the
Peptone and yeast extract mixed in with the agar, the 10ml per liter is just the carrier.
If you take out the agar, peptone and yeast you won't grow salmonella in the PG.

But I still can't find anything saying PG is used in asthma inhalers either prescription or
in hospital. I believe that assertion by the vapor industry is bogus.
Yes. I know it is a supplement, but it is still in there. If it had such wonderful antibacterial properties, salmonella wouldn't grow in it. Take e-liquid, which has flavorings and VG, where bacteria probably can thrive, as they are sugars. No one vapes straight PG. The myth is based on inhaling straight PG.
I think the problem is pretty much all the vape myths concerning this are based on a study done in the 1940's, when even cigarettes were considered healthy...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man I hate that pix of the guy with the kid and cigs..
Great article.
propylene glycol-induced hyperosmolality and lactic acidosis...interesting
The part about PG doesn't mention anything about it being a "carrier" in inhalers
in hospitals or prescription inhalers. The propellant listed in all the ones I looked at aren't made with PG, and the main carrier used in hospitals for both IV's and inhalants is saline..
but yea, it seems PG has all kind of possible nasty side effects.

What does that have to do with whether it helps asthmatics breathe?
The OP's premise and thereon is that vaping helps one breath better.
It has been posited that since instead of smoking one vapes is a variable to be considered.
But the main hypothesis is that vaping in and of it self helps asthmatics and may act as a bacteriacide.

Okay, it's a double edge sword. But I'd rather have lactic acidosis and a rash
than not be able to breathe.
Hazy you hit it on the head.. Its not listed because it may not be required ... Surely I need to do much more research but if the FDA does not require it you can bet manufacturers may not list all ingredients. That article is now 30 years old the question I am pondering is has that changed?

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. I know it is a supplement, but it is still in there. If it had such wonderful antibacterial properties, salmonella wouldn't grow in it. Take e-liquid, which has flavorings and VG, where bacteria probably can thrive, as they are sugars. No one vapes straight PG. The myth is based on inhaling straight PG.
I think the problem is pretty much all the vape myths concerning this are based on a study done in the 1940's, when even cigarettes were considered healthy...
Wrong. At the beginning and wrong at the end. The middle is okay.
Cigarettes have never been considered healthy, that doctors or people acting like doctors were used in commercials
is irrelevant. I've read studies re ciggies dating back to the mid 40s. I've held lungs from dead smokers in my hands
in 1962. In the 40's ciggies were considered necessary stimulants but the dangers, though not all - were known.

Now to the beginning. PG in itself is a bacteriacide. It kills some germs just like silver does.
I can have a silver chain around my neck and still get a boil 'cause
there are variables affecting the growth of that boil other than the silver.

The agar you mention has 10 ML PG PER LITER. That's one percent. It also has a total of 30.7 grams per liter
of stuff that turns that PG from bacteriacide to a part of a culture medium for salmonella,
BECAUSE (this is the important part) though salmonella is difficult to isolate (remember this agar of your is used to test for salmonella) the 30 gram per liter feeds the salmonella microbe but the PG keeps the other bacteria from growing.
The PG isn't actively involved in the growth of the salmonella, it's only a vehicle and supplement
to keep the other shit from confusing the culture thus permitting the isolation of salmonella.

Again, ONE PERCENT so you say it doesn't kill bacteria.
Given some time I can come up with lots of stuff that isn't harmful to humans in a 1% solution
but raise that to 10% and it is.
How about alcoholic beverages? By your criteria then we could say that alcohol doesn't inebriate
because a one percent solution doesn't do jack to a baby.
But if you give that baby a 100% solution of alcohol
you'll kill the poor bastid or at very least get him drunker than hell.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hazy you hit it on the head.. Its not listed because it may not be required ... Surely I need to do much more research but if the FDA does not require it you can bet manufacturers may not list all ingredients. That article is now 30 years old the question I am pondering is has that changed?

No, I hit you on the head. Yes, it's not required for stuff that isn't retailed but no
it would be listed in the article you linked to because that is the subject of the article
and it's purpose was to advise us of all the shit that isn't listed.

If you read the paragraphs about PG you saw that a shitload of possible negative side effects are known.
You think hospitals are gonna open themselves to law suits or spend extra money for PG
when they can use a little salted water and avoid the side effects?

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have researched this vaping myth before and have never found PG listed as an ingredient in asthma inhalers...
PG is also an ingredient in Petri dish media, which is used to grow bacteria...
My friend Petu'lka has bad asthma and has tried vaping, which makes it worse. I don't even vape around her, because it exasperates her asthma...PG and VG are respiratory irritants. Look at all the vapers who claim to be allergic to either...
Check these out:
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/suppliers/a/propglycol.htm

This one states it is in medicines, cosmetics, food, etc. I use an inhaler and I am an asthmatic and vaping has helped me, try to keep an open mind and know that everybody's body works a little different.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1120&tid=240

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/ingredients/overlay/propylene-glycol-vegetable-derived

and lastly the propylene glycol site:
http://www.propylene-glycol.com/what-is-propylene-glycol

Hope this helps! :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, I hit you on the head. Yes, it's not required for stuff that isn't retailed but no
it would be listed in the article you linked to because that is the subject of the article
and it's purpose was to advise us of all the shit that isn't listed.

If you read the paragraphs about PG you saw that a shitload of possible negative side effects are known.
You think hospitals are gonna open themselves to law suits or spend extra money for PG
when they can use a little salted water and avoid the side effects?
Yes they do all kinds of stuff That we do not know about thats why they employ Lawyers to fight your lawsuits because they get sued all the time..

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes they do all kinds of stuff That we do not know about thats why they employ Lawyers to fight your lawsuits because they get sued all the time..
Granted but you're wrong. Other than oxygen any aerosol used in a hospital uses saline
and whatever chemical specific to the condition, in asthmatics usually albuterol.
The reason being that respiratory therapists wouldn't administer a substance
to which some people can have a bad reaction to.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Granted but you're wrong. Other than oxygen any aerosol used in a hospital uses saline
and whatever chemical specific to the condition, in asthmatics usually albuterol.
The reason being that respiratory therapists wouldn't administer a substance
to which some people can have a bad reaction to.
So your premise is that all aerosols in hospitals use saline.. Ok prove it

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check these out:

This one states it is in medicines, cosmetics, food, etc. I use an inhaler and I am an asthmatic and vaping has helped me, try to keep an open mind and know that everybody's body works a little different.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/ingredients/overlay/propylene-glycol-vegetable-derived

Dude, I'm on your side here and I'm looking at two different asthma inhalers in my possession..
The CDC site doesn't mention asthma inhalers and none of the other links you posted do either.
The Time magazine article link I already posted so at this point your argument became redundant.
This: http://www.propylene-glycol.com/propylene-glycol-usp-ep/pharmaceuticals
should mention it's use in inhalers since they mention all the other meds
but doesn't

Like I said, I'm on your side here but the original premise here is whether
PG helps asthmatics and the discussion right now centers
on whether PG is an ingredient in asthma inhaler or bronchodilators
and though I've seen a bunch of vape forums and vape vendors claim it is
I haven't been able to find one single inhaler with PG in it...and I'm good at digging stuff up.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So your premise is that all aerosols in hospitals use saline.. Ok prove it
Nah, your premise is that hospitals use PG in their aerosols. You prove that
since you're the one alleging the bullshit and setting up a strawman to deflect your lack of proof.
My reply to your premise is that in my experience and that of all the doctors in my family as well as the respiratory therapists
I know (three) there are gases, solutions of albuterol which may contain PG but I've yet to see and the solvent used is usually alcohol
and water or saline solution that are used in aerosols but not PG.

you try to get into this logical shit
with me you will lose. stick to memes

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
since you're the one alleging the bullshit and setting up a strawman to deflect your lack of proof.
My reply to your premise is that in my experience and that of all the doctors in my family as well as the respiratory therapists
I know (three) there are gases, solutions of albuterol which may contain PG but I've yet to see and the solvent used is usually alcohol

Deflecting the burden of proof is not logical..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yep looks like this thread will get alot longer you are correct it is my Burden to prove which I cannot back up. I withdrawal my Premise I cannot find enough documentation to support it.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Check these out:

Which one states PG is used in inhalers?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wrong. At the beginning and wrong at the end. The middle is okay.
Cigarettes have never been considered healthy, that doctors or people acting like doctors were used in commercials
is irrelevant. I've read studies re ciggies dating back to the mid 40s. I've held lungs from dead smokers in my hands
in 1962. In the 40's ciggies were considered necessary stimulants but the dangers, though not all - were known.

Now to the beginning. PG in itself is a bacteriacide. It kills some germs just like silver does.
I can have a silver chain around my neck and still get a boil 'cause
there are variables affecting the growth of that boil other than the silver.

The agar you mention has 10 ML PG PER LITER. That's one percent. It also has a total of 30.7 grams per liter
of stuff that turns that PG from bacteriacide to a part of a culture medium for salmonella,
BECAUSE (this is the important part) though salmonella is difficult to isolate (remember this agar of your is used to test for salmonella) the 30 gram per liter feeds the salmonella microbe but the PG keeps the other bacteria from growing.
The PG isn't actively involved in the growth of the salmonella, it's only a vehicle and supplement
to keep the other shit from confusing the culture thus permitting the isolation of salmonella.

Again, ONE PERCENT so you say it doesn't kill bacteria.
Given some time I can come up with lots of stuff that isn't harmful to humans in a 1% solution
but raise that to 10% and it is.
How about alcoholic beverages? By your criteria then we could say that alcohol doesn't inebriate
because a one percent solution doesn't do jack to a baby.
But if you give that baby a 100% solution of alcohol
you'll kill the poor bastid or at very least get him drunker than hell.

What % PG does one need to be considered a bactericide?
I am yet to see a study concerning vaping PG...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So it works if injected in vitrio ? Pretty sure that's not the same as vaping it...
I do know there are aerosol devices which emit a timed puff of PG for certain applications, such as locker rooms to help with surface bacteria. Should I bathe in PG for it to be effective?

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hospitals use oxygen and vapor for asthmatics when they're in distress and they don't list propylene glycol because they're not required to, that's what I've gathered from some research, and because I know my albuterol inhalers use to list it but do not anymore, I'll post links in a bit when I can find a good one that covers it all rather than a million links...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hospitals use oxygen and vapor for asthmatics when they're in distress and they don't list propylene glycol because they're not required to, that's what I've gathered from some research, and because I know my albuterol inhalers use to list it but do not anymore, I'll post links in a bit when I can find a good one that covers it all rather than a million links...

So many people are apparently allergic to PG. Look at all the vapers who claim they are. I can't imagine something which so many are allergic to wouldn't be listed as an ingredient or warning on the information page of a prescription medication, considering they list everything else and any possible side effect...

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude, I'm on your side here and I'm looking at two different asthma inhalers in my possession..
The CDC site doesn't mention asthma inhalers and none of the other links you posted do either.
The Time magazine article link I already posted so at this point your argument became redundant.
This: http://www.propylene-glycol.com/propylene-glycol-usp-ep/pharmaceuticals
should mention it's use in inhalers since they mention all the other meds
but doesn't

Like I said, I'm on your side here but the original premise here is whether
PG helps asthmatics and the discussion right now centers
on whether PG is an ingredient in asthma inhaler or bronchodilators
and though I've seen a bunch of vape forums and vape vendors claim it is
I haven't been able to find one single inhaler with PG in it...and I'm good at digging stuff up.
One my post wasn't an argument it was saying keep an open mind and posted some links about pg for anyone to look at, I am an asthmatic and vaping helps me, others say it doesn't, my point was everybody's body works a little different why does most people have to turn things into an argument this is supposed to be a community and informative forum to help other vapers etc etc

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good luck finding any actual links or research that backs this up.. That is the main issue no one yet has proved anything.. I understand what you are saying if I research I come to the same immediate conclusion .. I have yet to see a link that either credit or discredits PG currently being used in Inhalers or in Hospitals, Aerosols or for all we know our cereal

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So many people are apparently allergic to PG. Look at all the vapers who claim they are. I can't imagine something which so many are allergic to wouldn't be listed as an ingredient or warning on the information page of a prescription medication, considering they list everything else and any possible side effect...
PG is in your soaps, food, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals if you look at my links I posted it says that. PG for some in excess amounts is what's giving some people reactions. Again this is just information, I'm not looking to argue with anyone I was just trying to help and I feel like I'm being attacked for no reason, I also did not state that hospitals use pg I stated hospitals use oxygen and vapor to ease an asthmatic in distress.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
PG is in your soaps, food, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals if you look at my links I posted it says that. PG for some in excess amounts is what's giving some people reactions. Again this is just information, I'm not looking to argue with anyone I was just trying to help and I feel like I'm being attacked for no reason, I also did not state that hospitals use pg I stated hospitals use oxygen and vapor to ease an asthmatic in distress.
I am well aware PG it is in lots of products. You said you know it is in asthma inhalers. It is not. That is a lie spread on vaping forums...

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am well aware PG it is in lots of products. You said you know it is in asthma inhalers. It is not. That is a lie spread on vaping forums...
I use albuterol inhalers and I know 100% it is because it use to say it on the ingredients, that among others have been taken off the ingredients list that I've noticed, I've seen it with my own eyes is why I said what I said. I ask again I don't want to argue with anyone I'm not beat for it, I'm just providing information and I don't speak without knowing facts and doing the research myself. Thanks :)

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use albuterol inhalers and I know 100% it is because it use to say it on the ingredients, that among others have been taken off the ingredients list that I've noticed, I've seen it with my own eyes is why I said what I said. I ask again I don't want to argue with anyone I'm not beat for it, I'm just providing information and I don't speak without knowing facts and doing the research myself. Thanks :)

All you have to do is post a picture of the ingredient list... If it ever was an ingredient, there's probably a good reason why it no longer is...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Prove it is not an ingredient? Are you aware how ridiculous that is? Probably not. Maybe you can post a meme...
Good idea let me post a image for you to understand Burden of proof. I doubt it will do any good.

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good idea let me post a image for you to understand Burden of proof. I doubt it will do any good.

A meme is more on your level...

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
people seriously, can't we all get along? Why is everybody so uptight and arguing? we should be helping each other out not going tit for tat we're all adults here or at least we all should be if we're vaping right!?
I hope all you reasonable vaper's have a "vapetastic" weekend!

Vapor Depot

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All you have to do is post a picture of the ingredient list... If it ever was an ingredient, there's probably a good reason why it no longer is...
I would have posted a pic hun a long time ago but I don't save my medication bottles or packages, but I'm a nut on reading labels before I put something into my body and know for a fact it was on there, give me till after the holidays, I'm gonna try and hunt one down and end this drama!

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would have posted a pic hun a long time ago but I don't save my medication bottles or packages, but I'm a nut on reading labels before I put something into my body and know for a fact it was on there, give me till after the holidays, I'm gonna try and hunt one down and end this drama!
There's no drama. It is just a vaping myth spread on forums that PG is used in inhalers. It is not. If it ever was, it no longer is. Probably because PG is an irritant when inhaled...
Mrsscary is just one of my stalkers...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's no drama. It is just a vaping myth spread on forums that PG is used in inhalers. It is not. If it ever was, it no longer is. Probably because PG is an irritant when inhaled...
Mrsscary is just one of my stalkers...
Here ya go Stevie Boy this is your meme. It is your Unicorn iCal logic
b4d654cd3d80470ce139d32b8960ae25.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
people seriously, can't we all get along? Why is everybody so uptight and arguing? we should be helping each other out not going tit for tat we're all adults here or at least we all should be if we're vaping right!?
Do not believe Stevie Boy he only has fans.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are a group of morons who stalk me whenever I post, who are of limited means, who rely on memes...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FWIW, one of the staff at my local Vape Shop told me that he was asthmatic, and has not used his inhaler since he started vaping.
I think this is an area that deserves more study, along with claims of weight loss from vaping.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FWIW, one of the staff at my local Vape Shop told me that he was asthmatic, and has not used his inhaler since he started vaping.
I think this is an area that deserves more study, along with claims of weight loss from vaping.
Was he a smoker?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I believe he was, but had had asthma since childhood. This convo was over a month ago, so I cannot swear to that though.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe he was, but had had asthma since childhood. This convo was over a month ago, so I cannot swear to that though.
The act of not smoking helps with asthma for many, not what is in e-liquid...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The act of not smoking helps with asthma for many, not what is in e-liquid...

Can't argue with that, however infants here in my country are discouraged from smoking. I believe he was using an inhaler (Ventolin if I recall) since childhood.

I have a good friend who is battling the demon nicotine and is looking to try vaping but was afraid because he has asthma being currently on advair 250 50. Well I've seen a number of vapers, here, who suffer from asthma, so it was interesting to read about your experience:) Thanks, your answers helped!

mixsomniac

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Prove it is not an ingredient? Are you aware how ridiculous that is? Probably not. Maybe you can post a meme...
HAHAHAHAHA ........solid gold answer. he even followed up and posted a meme that proved your point and contradicted his own.
These forums are being taken over aren't they, your hurting someones pocket steve why else would they stalk you with memes

mixsomniac

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It's also been suggested that ex-smokers asthmatic or not may get fewer side effects because leftover tar in the lungs could act as some sort of barrier,
not impossible right? but I imagine it has to do with moisture, the severity of the asthma and vaping technique I'd bet most asthmatics are MTL vapers?

edit: For weight loss I would'nt be surprised if that was just water weight.
Look at how much water weight competition fighters can lose before a big fight, vaping dries you out big time

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For weight loss I would'nt be surprised if that was just water weight.
Look at how much water weight competition fighters can lose before a big fight, vaping dries you out big time

Actualy, Since this thread was started so long ao, I've encountered more examplles of weight loss.

Mostly in 20-40 year old females. Several expained it in a similar way, that if they had a food craving, they would substitute a vape instead.

Most of them vaped desert favors. Go figure.

Here lately the outdoors has been making my chest so tight that I can barely breathe. When this happens I take a few good draws from my vape and I'm good... I guess that the vapor is taking the pollen out with it? Does anyone know anything about this?

Quitting smoking is an essential step for asthma patients, crucial for the effective treatment of their disease.

However it is not always easy for them. In these cases, a less harmful alternative to tobacco smoking can be a valid option.

This evidence-based notion that substitution of conventional cigarettes with electronic cigarettes is unlikely to raise significant respiratory concerns can improve counselling between physicians and their asthmatic patients, who are using or intend to use electronic cigarettes.

VU Sponsors