Become a Patron!

Vaping hygiene

Lisa vapes

Member For 2 Years
Hey everyone. I've been vaping a few months now and in this group a month or so.

Curious to know how you care for your tanks and mods.

Let's talk cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am the only one that vapes on my equipment.
Cleaning? Very seldom. I usually rinse out RDA's when I recoil them.
Tanks I just recoil or rewick and almost never wash them out unless changing flavors.
Drip tips cleaned about weekly or as they get to looking bad with lip gunk.

I DIY and use 60PG so not much worries about bacteria and such.

If I used max VG I would likely wash and rinse out more often.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I clean mine regularly. Not every day but probably every few days. The drip tip I tend to clean more often. My theory is that air either outside or indoors isn't 'pure', there are natural contaminants. The inside of a tank is constantly moist from vapor (especially the chimney where vapor exits through and air intake) and moisture is a good breeding ground for most bacteria and things.

For cleaning I use dishsoap (dawn) and hot water. Sometimes I let them soak for a bit to saturate and disinfect anything. Eventually I may check into an ultrasonic cleaner but for now I only have a handful of tanks/rdta's and washing with soap and water doesn't take long.

Lisa vapes

Member For 2 Years
Never would have thought to use that! Thanks. I've just been wiping everything with a paper towel or qtip.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Never would have thought to use that! Thanks. I've just been wiping everything with a paper towel or qtip.

I think that's what most do - myself included

I wipe all my gear down using vodka about once a week

Drip tips I run under water as needed

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The only time I clean my 2 Achilles RDAs is if the flavor gets funky, or, in the EXTREMELY RARE event of using a different flavor; my preferred method of cleaning is to boil them, so I don't need to use any chemicals that might leave a residue or odor.

When I used clear glass driptips, I swabbed out frequently, and rinsed daily, mainly because the condensate inside is so unsightly. When I use metal driptips, I have to rinse them pretty often because the "lip smut" builds up and feels icky. Which is why I mostly use acrylic driptips; they're not clear, so I don't see the condensate, and either lip smut doesn't build up, or I simply don't feel it. So I only clean those when I notice that the o-ring around the base is getting yellow-brown and kinda icky.

Of course, I use 86% PG, so no need to worry about any microbial growth; any microbes that can survive that much PG, I probably don't have anything to kill 'em anyway. :giggle: No Agent Orange or carbolic acid around here! And I wouldn't dare use bleach on attys or driptips, because the stink lingers, and would definitely mess up the taste.

Mods... I clean them immediately if any ejuice gets on them, or if normal smudges and fingerprints begin to look unsightly. I wouldn't be able to tolerate brass or copper mods; I'm a slob, yet a slob with a strong OCD streak, and the constant patina'ing would drive me bonkers. Brushed stainless, thankfully, doesn't have that problem, nor does painted/enameled metal. :)

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wash with soap and hot water when I recoil.... I rinse with hot water at rewick... most times.
Beyond wiping off the occasional leakage.... nothing special.

Other than contacts and threads my brass mech has never been cleaned in 3 years....... electrically important parts get regular polishing.

I like the look of natural metals better than polished. I clean enough to kill possible germs or remove sticky and that's about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am the only one that vapes on my equipment.
Cleaning? Very seldom. I usually rinse out RDA's when I recoil them.
Tanks I just recoil or rewick and almost never wash them out unless changing flavors.
Drip tips cleaned about weekly or as they get to looking bad with lip gunk.

I DIY and use 60PG so not much worries about bacteria and such.

This ^^^ has been working for me for the last 5 years now.

My DTs are currently all Delrin. They are slippery enough so skin doesn't stick to them. When I used metal DTs I washed them with warm water every few days.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This ^^^ has been working for me for the last 5 years now.

My DTs are currently all Delrin. They are slippery enough so skin doesn't stick to them. When I used metal DTs I washed them with warm water every few days.
Yep Delrin or Teflon drip tips.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Delrin, Teflon, Ultem. Really like the look of Ultem. On a budget acrylic will do. But… As you value your life stay away from the wooden drip tips! :eek:

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of my dozens of toppers, I only use two which are RDA's. I re-wick every other day so they are rinsed out pretty frequently.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since I'm having chest issues again maybe I need to recoil and clean more. I have vodka but normally use dawn and a toothbrush.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Delrin, Teflon, Ultem. Really like the look of Ultem. On a budget acrylic will do. But… As you value your life stay away from the wooden drip tips! :eek:

After making a bunch of wood DTs and finishing them with CA glue, I just couldn't get a CA process that held up for any length of time. Maybe I'm missing some trick the folks who produce these puppies know of, but after that experience I just stay clear of them. Which sucks, 'cause I really like the look of wood :(

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After making a bunch of wood DTs and finishing them with CA glue, I just couldn't get a CA process that held up for any length of time. Maybe I'm missing some trick the folks who produce these puppies know of, but after that experience I just stay clear of them. Which sucks, 'cause I really like the look of wood :(
IMO the only way to make a good performing and hygienic wooden DT is:

…First, seal the wood, by doing one of 3 things:
  • Heat up the wood and immerse it in acrylic or shellac lacquer, then let it cool/dry.
  • Same as the above, but in a vacuum chamber (same goal, forcing the wood to suck as much sealant as possible).
  • Boil it in oil (I prefer flaxseed oil) for about an hour, then let it slowly cool down, submerged. Wipe it clean and let it sit in the shade for a few weeks. This is my favorite method.
…Then (in you're making a hybrid DT) glue your mouthpiece to the base with a food grade epoxy.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO the only way to make a good performing and hygienic wooden DT is:

…First, seal the wood, by doing one of 3 things:
  • Heat up the wood and immerse it in acrylic or shellac lacquer, then let it cool/dry.
  • Same as the above, but in a vacuum chamber (same goal, forcing the wood to suck as much sealant as possible).
  • Boil it in oil (I prefer flaxseed oil) for about an hour, then let it slowly cool down, submerged. Wipe it clean and let it sit in the shade for a few weeks. This is my favorite method.
…Then (in you're making a hybrid DT) glue your mouthpiece to the base with a food grade epoxy.

I experimented with CA because a lot of the wood DTs out there are finished that way and it's considered the best way to finish them. I eliminated the glue by using O-rings to hold the wood sleeves on SS stems. That works just fine :)

The CA is really tough as wood finishes go and held up better than anything else I tried, but it just didn't hold up to my torture testing to my satisfaction. Just can't handle the heat and moisture. Even with stabilized wood like three of the four on the left below, I was not satisfied with the result.

2v7yo7n.jpg

The ones to the right of the SS stem are acrilic and work just fine, but that's no fun at all for someone who really likes wood :blah:

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The ones to the right of the SS stem are acrilic and work just fine, but that's no fun at all for someone who really likes wood :blah:
You want wood to be completely sealed and lacquered. In short: you can enjoy the look of your wooden DT, but it should be wrapped in plastic like Laura Palmer. CA is just not this kind of plastic, try epoxy for a change. Better yet, try a low temperature glass.

(Personally I'd try shellac for starters) :coffee2:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hey everyone. I've been vaping a few months now and in this group a month or so.

Curious to know how you care for your tanks and mods.

Let's talk cleaning.

When it comes to my gear I am a clean freak.

I give my drip tips a bath at least once a week.

When I go to perform a dry burn and replace my coil, gets a good soak, rinse and dry and then the dry burn.

I also clean my mod on a regular basis as with the tank.

Don't think I am completely nuts :crazy: and keep in mind that I have done this to clean EVERY MOD ( I Have no idea as to how many mods I have or have given away) I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM:D

I simply go into the kitchen with my mod and tan fully assembled and ready to go, I get out a couple of paper towels pr a clean and dry dish towel.

Then I run both hands under the faucet for a couple moments, then shake them dry in the sink and then pick up the mod and the tank and wipe it down with your BARELY wet hands/.

Then you pick up the towel and dry you mod and you now clean hands.

VapinMoody

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I keep forgetting that as a Kayfun fan boy that the ridges in the Kayfun 4 drip tip are germ collectors and should be disinfected regularly.... scurvy rot can happen...omg...:eek:

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep forgetting that as a Kayfun fan boy that the ridges in the Kayfun 4 drip tip are germ collectors and should be disinfected regularly.... scurvy rot can happen...omg...:eek:
…and the metal body of Kayfun 5 drip tip is a crust collector :grumpy:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Lack of vitamin C has nothing to do with vaping :)

VU Sponsors