Become a Patron!

Vaping in Public

queenrilly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Before I started vaping I saw people doing it everywhere. Most were vapeholes forcing you to go through their clouds or blowing it in peoples' faces.
Now I feel like I have to stealth vape (probably because of experience above ^) or people are just looking at me all the time like it's weirder/worse to vape than smoke. I feel proud of not smoking, but self conscious when I vape in public/around crowds. I keep wishing for a vape con to be around vapers lol and the next one here isn't until October.
I notice smokers a lot more in public now too, and I can smell them like 50 yards away. :mad:
Usually you would think it would be opposite, notice more of people doing the same thing you're doing. Like when you get a new car, you never noticed before but now it seems like everyone has the same car as you. You know?
Maybe I need a vaping meetup group or something, haha.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It depends on the situation. I actually hope when I'm vaping people say either im smoking or start the "fake cough".
Then when they are shown its not - they are shocked. Clouds are so big these days people will know your not smoking.
Here in NJ they were the first state to ban vaping in public in 2010. You just stealth.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's funny because when i was a smoker i didn't give a shit where my smoke went. Now that i vape i'm SUPER conscious of where my vapor goes and who it might bother. I am as polite as possible, because as of yet Florida has no anti-vaping rules, and as long as people use a little discretion in their habits-it may stay that way. It's the folks that blow giant clouds next to people walking with their kids and families that are gonna ruin it everywhere for everyone. There's a lot of misunderstanding with vaping right now, and the last thing the public needs is a reason to side with the anti-vaping community. So i give them the fewest reasons possible. Even if there's smoking allowed outside at a restaurant, i walk out to the street or off to the side where it won't blow in anyone's face. I'd rather do it of my own accord than wait for a day when i have to do so legally. If vapors continue to practice manners, then we can avoid the witch hunt.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, when I am out, pure stealth mode.

Kinda fun being sneaky:D

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stealth is my norm. I want the nicotine and stealth allows me that opportunity without hassle. Vaping appears as smoking to many non-smokers. With new regs coming from all directions, stealth may become the norm.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It depends on the situation. I actually hope when I'm vaping people say either im smoking or start the "fake cough".
Then when they are shown its not - they are shocked. Clouds are so big these days people will know your not smoking.
Here in NJ they were the first state to ban vaping in public in 2010. You just stealth.
You can't Vape in New Jersey outdoors or where smoking areas are?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always went out of my way to avoid smoking in public unless a good 20 paces or so away from non-smoking crowds (walking down the street excepted) or standing around in front of a bar or something like that. I try to exercise the same courtesy vaping if I'm doing so openly, but I may take some stealth puffs in a more crowded environment.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can't Vape in New Jersey outdoors or where smoking areas are?
We are confined to the smokers pit in NJ! Bars (100% of all indoors), beaches, parks, near building entrances...we are banned pretty much everywhere in public, same as smoking.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I'm in public around other people, I'll take smaller hits and/or hold in the vapor a while to reduce the amount of cloud and I blow away from other people, usually down towards the ground.

Other then that, I really don't care about what others think of it. Usually 'out in public' for me is going to a park.
People usually walk/bike trails for exercise so smoking looks weird and I got used to ignoring the odd looks long before I switched to vaping.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are confined to the smokers pit in NJ! Bars (100% of all indoors), beaches, parks, near building entrances...we are banned pretty much everywhere in public, same as smoking.
Oh Ok pretty much like New York but not really enforced much. As long as you stay along the lines of smoking areas your ok.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am a bit self conscious when vaping in public, mostly because people where I live are not accustomed to seeing people vape. Some people look at me as if I a smoking a xxxx, so I try to vape in stealth mode. The other day I was stopped at a stop light and blew a pretty big cloud out my car window and the guy in the car beside me gave me that "WTF are doing" look.

Its strange that I NEVER see other people vaping in public because new vape shops are opening up all around me so I know people are vaping. The only place I see other people vaping is in vape shops.

Last edited:

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me it was kind of weird at first but people around here (Louisiana) don't make much of it. The ones that notice usually ask me about vaping either because they were considering trying it or they are just curious. I stealth vape in my office from time to time but honestly I don't think my boss would mind. He would rather me stay busy than stopping work to go smoke. We don't allow smoking in the plant but some guys dip so I m just getting my nicotine in a different way.

Of course you occasionally get someone that wants to lecture you on how its worse for you than smoking, or so they've "seen it on the internet", to which I just reply " bonjour ".

ziggzagg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I work offshore and people are growing accustomed to seeing people vape. They are still those few who try and lecture me about " You don't know what's in that juice" and I say yes I do. I make my own. :)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I live just outside New Orleans and most people really have a LAISSEZ-FAIRE attitude towards most things. They just outlawed smoking and vaping in bars, but considering the average lifestyle here I dont see the enforcement lasting long. Generally I Follow basic smoking etiquette with vaping.

Last edited:

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a respect thing, I smoked cigars for years, and I never wanted to have anyone blowing smoke on me, but, BUT vaping is considerably different.

While I don't invade people space and vape in a persons face living in TN, a fairly vape friendly state, I do vape when I shop at Wallyworld, or Costco', I just don't blatantly blow clouds in people s faces, or invade their space with vape.

I mean there are some food vapors that are down right disgusting, and it's just about respect.

The problem is that vapor is not like smoke, it does not possess the carbon particulate associated with smoke, that lingers and and has carcinogenic properties.

People are against it because if it looks like smoke, well it must be smoke, and it's a education thing that may or may not happen.

Pretty much what fir3b1rd said, follow basic smoking etiquette and you are pretty much accepted anywhere.

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I work offshore and people are growing accustomed to seeing people vape. They are still those few who try and lecture me about " You don't know what's in that juice" and I say yes I do. I make my own. :)

Bravo!

Like the ass hat California Senator Barbara Boxer soap boxing off of 6 year old data!

Last edited:

Brian L

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I vape in public the same way I smoked in public as well... I'm not trying to hide it one bit. I have two rules for myself - first is keep my clouds away from non-smokers whenever possible. Second is try not to let kids see it at all.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I try to hold off until nobody is around me. If there is alot of people where I am, I'll slip off to the side and do it. Last week I was at a county fair. I vaped in the parking area only. The goal is to not have my vapor blow into anyones face, ever.

Attention vapers are the worst. Its like "yeah I see you...big cloud bro." gtfo with that sh-t.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see people vaping in their cars all the time around here. Sitting at a red lights and drive thus a plumes of vapor coming out of windows. I do see quite of people vaping in public. I do try to be respectful of others. No need in giving people who know nothing of vaping more of a reason to dislike vaping. Hell even in a vape shop I still try not to blow clouds at others.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If I'm outdoors, I vape my head off, but I'm a <10w tootle puffer, so my "clouds" look a lot like I'm smoking -- I've had people see me from behind and come up and ask me for a light or if I've got a spare cigarette. Whatever THAT is. :giggle: If I'm in a store or restaurant or hospital, etc, I'll just go in the bathroom if I REALLY MUST vape, but after 3 yrs, I find it easier all the time to just wait till I'm outdoors. Depends on how long I have to be there. In a store, like Walmart for example, mostly I don't vape, I just wait till I leave... but if I happen to find myself in a deserted aisle (like late at night) and really feel the need, I'll stealth vape, which isn't difficult at <10w high-PG. I welcome sincere interest in vaping, anytime, anywhere, but I don't feel the need to challenge every ill-informed ANTZ idiot walking around, there's way too many of them out there these days, and I just don't have the time for that nonsense.

Andria

BearHunter104

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I only vape in my truck and at home......................don't want to OFFEND some people....

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I never blew my smoke towards someone and do not do it with my vape but I do vape where I would never attempt to smoke.

dinocore

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For me it was kind of weird at first but people around here (Louisiana) don't make much of it. The ones that notice usually ask me about vaping either because they were considering trying it or they are just curious. I stealth vape in my office from time to time but honestly I don't think my boss would mind. He would rather me stay busy than stopping work to go smoke. We don't allow smoking in the plant but some guys dip so I m just getting my nicotine in a different way.

Of course you occasionally get someone that wants to lecture you on how its worse for you than smoking, or so they've "seen it on the internet", to which I just reply " bonjour ".
same with my work, I'm allowed to blow big clouds at work! my boss would rather me take hits off my vape than go outside and smoke, I work in a restaurant, so I just blow em into the hood system, both my chef and my sous chef vape too, we literally have a vape survival kit in the office in case a glass breaks or someones cotton burns or anything lol.

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I always tried to be respectful when I was a smoker, but for some reason now that I vape, I'm even more cautious. Overly so. I don't wanna give vaping a bad name but also, I feel like people always have something to say about vaping. It's always something-- "you know that's more harmful than smoking." Or- "So great you quit cigs. Now when are you going to quit vaping?" I feel like ever since I started vaping, people feel the need to give me their opinion on it. Why?

To answer your question-- I live in a state that banned vaping in public places, so I usually only vape where I would smoke. Never around children and a lot of the times I go off to the side. I'll ask people if they mind me vaping in their house... no one has cared yet. I was at a food festival last weekend and I went all the way to the parking lot to vape. My friend thought I was being ridiculous, but there's just something about vaping that makes me self conscious. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I do. Maybe because I'm a newb. Anyone else ever feel self conscious about it?

I should add... I do get positive comments, too. But sometimes I just wanna rant. :cheers:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just feel proud, to be sucking on a vape mod instead of a cancer stick. Never thought I'd quit those... vaping showed me something completely new. After 39 yrs of those cancer sticks, I am PROUD to be a vaper.

Andria

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just feel proud, to be sucking on a vape mod instead of a cancer stick. Never thought I'd quit those... vaping showed me something completely new. After 39 yrs of those cancer sticks, I am PROUD to be a vaper.

Andria

You are right to feel that way! I know if I'm self conscious, it's something I need to get over. Maybe I feel this way because I know smokers and I know non-smokers, but I don't know any vapers. I am absolutely thrilled to be saving money and doing something healthier. Plus... vaping is fun. We've got all kinds of devices and flavors! So awesome not being tied down to one overpriced flavor made by an evil company.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are right to feel that way! I know if I'm self conscious, it's something I need to get over. Maybe I feel this way because I know smokers and I know non-smokers, but I don't know any vapers. I am absolutely thrilled to be saving money and doing something healthier. Plus... vaping is fun. We've got all kinds of devices and flavors! So awesome not being tied down to one overpriced flavor made by an evil company.

You're a non-smoker... you just happen to also be a vaper, which is how you got to be a non-smoker. Without vaping, like me, you'd probably return to being a smoker. Maybe not willingly... I sure wouldn't... but there would come a point, where I simply didn't have a choice. Vaping provides the choice.

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Others' opinions are not more important than your health. Screw anyone who doesn't like that.

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're a non-smoker... you just happen to also be a vaper, which is how you got to be a non-smoker. Without vaping, like me, you'd probably return to being a smoker. Maybe not willingly... I sure wouldn't... but there would come a point, where I simply didn't have a choice. Vaping provides the choice.

Andria

I am a non-smoker! Now that is something I never thought I'd say... It almost feels weird to type out. :D

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am a non-smoker! Now that is something I never thought I'd say... It almost feels weird to type out. :D

Ain't that the truth?!?! You know those commercials about smoking, where the girl is being bossed around by a huge bully... smoking... that was exactly how it felt. People call their spouse their "ball and chain", but my husband is my MATE... smoking was a ball and chain about the size of Canada at the very least. I felt like I'd been freed from smoker's prison! For the first 6 months after I switched, every so often I'd get up and do a little hoochy koochie dance, in pure joy -- "I don't smoke anymore!" :D

Andria

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes! That's a good way to put it... a ball and chain. A month ago I pulled into the gas station and then realized "I don't need to be here!" I should have a dance too lol because every so often I realize I'm still vaping and haven't had a cigarette and just blurt something out along the lines of, "Guys! I'm still vaping! Can you believe it?!" And my friends/family just look like "yeah Kallie I see that." LOL. People don't understand why vapers are so "into" vaping. I totally get it now.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion you are only really a Non-Smoker when you no longer actually have some killer sticks stashed someplace like in the freezer.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a bit self conscious when vaping in public, mostly because people where I live are not accustomed to seeing people vape. Some people look at me as if I a smoking a xxxx, so I try to vape in stealth mode. The other day I was stopped at a stop light and blew a pretty big cloud out my car window and the guy in the car beside me gave me that "WTF are doing" look.

Its strange that I NEVER see other people vaping in public because new vape shops are opening up all around me so I know people are vaping. The only place I see other people vaping is in vape shops.
lmfao, I get that same wtf r u doing look when I'm at a stop light too. I've had a few, cough like I blew it in their face and their not even 20 feet from me. some people don't know what it is. I have noticed a lot of stealth vapors. wish I knew how to stealth vape

Cloud Chasing

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
same with my work, I'm allowed to blow big clouds at work! my boss would rather me take hits off my vape than go outside and smoke, I work in a restaurant, so I just blow em into the hood system, both my chef and my sous chef vape too, we literally have a vape survival kit in the office in case a glass breaks or someones cotton burns or anything lol.
that's awesome! can I work there plz

Cloud Chasing

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday at a Red Light I had my Pico Kit with me and I blew a big cloud out the drivers side window which the wind blew across my windshield and right into a contractors drivers window to my right~! At first he looked surprised at the smell and the second cloud followed right behind~! He turned and looked at me and smiled mouthing Smells Good~! Strawberry Candy

kittyn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In my opinion you are only really a Non-Smoker when you no longer actually have some killer sticks stashed someplace like in the freezer.

Haha, then I have been a non-smoker for 79 days.

Only 76 without a cigarette though. I bummed a couple off my mom the first couple days in there.

I tried stashing for 'its an option, you dont HAVE to vape!' mental purposes. I discovered I have 0 self control.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Haha, then I have been a non-smoker for 79 days.

Only 76 without a cigarette though. I bummed a couple off my mom the first couple days in there.

I tried stashing for 'its an option, you dont HAVE to vape!' mental purposes. I discovered I have 0 self control.

I have self-control when it's ME calling the shots, than being without cigarettes and a vehicle to go get them -- that just plain pisses me off! So my last open pk with 12 in it has been in a ziplock in the back of my freezer for 3 yrs, 1 month, and 3 wks. :)

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Over 3 years but still keeping cigarettes just makes no sense at all.

VU Sponsors