Become a Patron!

Vaping in tv shows

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every now and then you spot a vape in a movie or the commercials for the closed system type pens. I found it interesting while watching the most recent episode of 'The Night Shift' during a scene on a plane one of the doctors is in the middle of a medical emergency. He passes a passenger holding a regulated mod with an rda, while all the passengers are panicking he's about to take a rip still in his seat. The doctor advised against it and the show continues so it seemed insignificant. Later the doctor's trying to cauterize an incision made during a procedure while the plane is still in the air, there's not much in the med kit - vape to the rescue! He borrows the guy's mod and with the cap of the rda popped off uses the coil to cauterize the incision.

Just a few things that came to mind. It brought attention to vaping and involved a more robust setup than the standard vape pens seen on tv. Without making vaping look horrible it sent the message that hey, you shouldn't just hit your rda on board no matter what the situation, so follow the rules. It also made it out to be sort of a sideline hero giving the impression that hey, maybe not all vapes are bad (regardless of the unorthodox use of it as a cauterization iron).

Anyway, I thought it was kind of cool. It may help make it more acceptable since so many still look at them like they're some sort of space age crack pipe. At the same time it was brief so it wasn't shoving it down anyone's throat.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are probably dozens of vapes on the set with actual people actually using them. Vapes are so common place irl, it's odd how you don't see them more frequently in movies and whatnot.

I posted a selfie yesterday on Facebook and I had a cigarette in the pic, even though I only smoked two yesterday. Later I had to think about why that was acceptable to me. Knowing my kids would see the pic I decided it wasn't okay anymore (not that it ever was). I started vaping and didn't like the idea of being seen with the "mouth fedora", but as time goes by my perception has changed. I like the idea of seeing vapes more on TV, print and films.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
in hand of god they were using mech mods to vape something other then what I use

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was reading a "cozy mystery" series recently and there was a mention of a "vape mods" store, and the heroine has to go looking for the proprietor of said shop; not wanting the employees to know she was investigating a murder, she claims to be a vaper, and when the guy asked her nic level, she says "umm.. 80?" So he knew right away she WASN'T a vaper, and advised her of that fact in derisive terms. Apparently the author is either a vaper herself, has good friends who vape, or just did some good research for the book.

Andria

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha that's pretty awesome. I would definitely incorporate vaping into a book. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't read much these days (paper). Cool to know it's making its way into novels and stuff though too. I just think it's pretty cool to include it, not as a means to promote it necessarily but to help calm the public's perception a little. Seems like so many that haven't heard about them or have only heard tragedy in the news around them seem to think they're some dark seedy thing of the underworld. Maybe if people were a little more exposed to seeing them they wouldn't be so scary.

It's like the public who doesn't vape sees a vape pen and they're a little unsure but because it's small and non threatening they tolerate it. Then they see a box mod and rta/rda and they freak out like holy shit! Close your windows, button down the hatches! Like what exactly do you think is going to happen? And ffs it's a single coil build, it's not going to pause air traffic.

Maybe it's just the area I'm in, it's rural midwest. Not a lot of vapers around here. Any time I've been in a public place like a parking lot heading to a store or something I never see anyone else vaping. More often than not I get odd stares as if I just set up a blanket and lawn chair and broke out with paraphernalia. I see mothers with their small kids kind of look over their shoulder as they hurry them along and to be clear I'm not vaping next to people with kids. This is when they're a good 30-40ft+ from me. Most of my stuff is single coil builds.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Heh... mostly what I've gotten in parking lots is "Is that one o'them thar electronic cigarette thangs? Does it really work?" "Yes, and yes." "But I mean... does it REALLY help you quit smoking?" "What it does is, once you've made up your mind to quit, and actually do it, it replaces the cigarettes so you don't go around with cravings all the time." "Coooooooool! I'ma gunna get me one of them thangs!" :D

Or, someone sees my vapor and asks me if I can spare a cigarette. To which I hold up my vape and say "Does this look like a cigarette to you?" :giggle:

Andria

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
my favorite is "Do you have a light?" while im vaping. I just laugh and shake my head

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Don't watch a lot of TV or movies - the only vaping I've ever seen on such is awhile back on Nurse Jackie, a doctor was vaping on a pen with banana flavor juice.

He said something like "I do look like a douche with this thing."

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
my favorite is "Do you have a light?" while im vaping. I just laugh and shake my head

I've gotten that one too. :D But I noticed almost right after I started vaping, the downside of that: when I find a stray thread on my garments, I no longer have the means of quickly getting rid of it, not carrying a lighter anymore. :giggle:

Andria

Bigbob2322

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
In the last episode of the TV series The Night Shift a doctor on a plane uses a passengers box mod to cauterize a hemorrhaging pregnant lady.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was watching Hell's Kitchen the other night, some of the contestants were sitting around in the lounge area. In the past several can be seen smoking though this season with the all stars I noticed Giovanni kicking back with a regulated box and rta.

On the downside, just watched the latest episode of S.W.A.T. and they chose to portray vaping in a negative light. First a mention of an escaped inmate's girlfriend being caught smuggling vape pens into the prison. Then when they busted down the door of a suspect they caught him with a duffel full of what looked like smok stick vapes and 'hash oil'.

It'd be nice if they portrayed them more accurately rather than choosing to just make them look like 'evil' drug paraphernalia. All that does is feeds into the msm fear mongering b.s.

VU Sponsors