Become a Patron!

Vaping is ruining student athletes: ’It’s heartbreaking,’ Massachusetts parents, school officials

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Vaping is ruining student athletes: ’It’s heartbreaking,’ Massachusetts parents, school officials say

https://www.masslive.com/boston/201...ssachusetts-parents-school-officials-say.html

Yea Sure, it was much better when I was in school and the kids were only smoking cigarettes.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Then this:

"Spear, who became an administrator in 2006, is part of a growing coalition of school officials and pediatricians who say they have been blindsided by the skyrocketing popularity of e-cigarette use among children. One of the biggest differences they say sets current teen smokers from those a generation or two earlier is that the products are increasingly enticing student athletes, threatening their health and hurting their chances at competing at higher levels.

“It’s affected a much wider spectrum of kids. It used to be quite a daring thing to smoke a cigarette in a bathroom because you could smell it, so somebody knew that someone had been smoking,” Spear told MassLive. “With these, there’s no way that you can know.”

They might as well just come out and say what they are trying to get at.

This is as close to actually spelling out the real reason for the war on vaping that I've seen to date.

The reason:
More important, more privileged students are vaping and back in the day just the poor losers smoked.
So NOW it's a problem because it's their kids instead of our kids.

The classism of these people is on full display here.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Balanced as all things should be... although this still seem The Bad.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
there is far too much pressure on young athletes these days

by the time they are 15, theirlives are already dominated by getting drafted. Younger in some sports, like swimming

a recent retiree here in aussie football said in high school "footy used to be an escape from school, now school is an escape from footy pressures"

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Balanced as all things should be... although this still seem The Bad.

I screwed up and put it in the wrong spot.

Look at this part:

"Winickoff has treated athletes who have been kicked off sports teams for vaping. Many don’t realize the pulmonary and neurological effects of using e-cigarettes, including asthma and lung conditions.

“It’s not just about coming off the product,” he added. “It’s about needing to treat them with steroids to get them back to normal.”

What the fuck?
You are an athlete that vapes so they treat you with steroids?

If you are an athlete that drinks coffee do they treat you with Ritalin?

This here:

"Kristin Beauparlant’s son, Cade, was captain of the hockey team until he got caught using e-cigarettes in school. He started undergoing treatment for nicotine addiction and learned he had developed a lung disease after at least four years of using nicotine products."

Why four years of "nicotine products" instead of e-cigarettes?

Could the "nicotine product" for 3 1/2 of that four years have been real cigarettes and then when he finally used harm reduction he got caught?

I don't believe four years of smoking anything could lead to lung disease in a young person.

This would be on every tobacco control website and anti vaping ad if it was a real provable example of lung disease from vaping.

And what do you know.

The same woman with the same kid pops up in the same propaganda rag in a different story ONE day earlier but this time there is no mention of him being on the brink of death:

‘We are not letting you steal our children’: Mass. Rep. Marjorie Decker calls out e-cigarette makers

https://www.masslive.com/boston/201...ssachusetts-parents-school-officials-say.html

"Decker was one of several lawmakers who promoted legislation to crack down on the e-cigarette market at a news conference led by Tobacco Free Mass, a coalition of public health advocates. The news conference included speeches from Paul Spear, athletic director at Framingham High School, Matt Murphy, a college student at University of Massachusetts Lowell and Kristin Beauparlant, a Newburyport mother whose son is struggling with nicotine addiction."

So just to be clear, same kid:

June 11th = "struggling with nicotine addiction."
June 12th = "nicotine addiction and learned he had developed a lung disease after at least four years of using nicotine products."

Yea, something tells me the lung disease would be front and center in the "Steal our children" article if it wasn't bullshit.

Also to be clear, ordinary average everyday mom Kristin Beauparlant just so happened to be at least as of 2009 an oncology nurse at Mass General Hospital:

https://www.newburyportnews.com/new...allenge/article_f9ff0b64-cd02-5c13-9fd0-897de

"AMESBURY — As an oncology nurse at Mass General Hospital, Kristin Beauparlant has witnessed the specter of cancer from just about every melancholy angle..."

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is such horseshit! Sadly too many people will read this and take it as gospel instead of thinking for themselves and seeing it for the horseshit that it is. Of course that's just what the anti vaping groups are hoping for and why this propaganda piece was written.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
“It’s not just about coming off the product,” he added. “It’s about needing to treat them with steroids to get them back to normal.”
What the fuck?
You are an athlete that vapes so they treat you with steroids?

This is outrageous - just as bad as the kid with a Juul whose parents conned the insurance company into paying for rehab

The reason:
More important, more privileged students are vaping and back in the day just the poor losers smoked.
So NOW it's a problem because it's their kids instead of our kids.
The classism of these people is on full display here.

No shit, they certainly never had rehab for us economically challenged teenage smokers

+Caffeine

Member For 2 Years
Totally not surprised this is from Massachusetts.

Juuling teens is just the modern day equivalent of the smoking epidemic from the previous generation.

Yes, it's likely less dangerous than cigarettes but it's just another form of teenage rebellion and desire to fit in, be cool etc. Cigarettes then were seen as soon, now in this day and age the Juul is the modern, hip version.

The reality is, no matter what generation it is...there will always be dangers and temptations for teens. It's the parents job to stay on top of these dangers and engage their children by educating them NOT by discovering there's a problem, throwing money at it and complaining about it.

Juul has been around for what, four years now? Talking to their kids about should have been done quite a long time ago.

Fozzy

Member For 4 Years
I screwed up and put it in the wrong spot.

It sounds like the coach needed an excuse to give his players steroids.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh most drugs and such were not a REAL problem until the middle and upper class started using them.
Was not considered a problem as long as it stayed in the lower class.
It is the history of illegal drug use in America and the same for many other aspects of US history.
Take Train safety, in the early days it was horrible but no real attention to it until a train wreck killed a bunch of important people.
It is the way of humans everywhere, not just in the USA.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree, but vaping is not unsafe its is just unpopular.
Vaping cannot be totally safe and I suspect that it may hinder an athlete's performance a bit.
Vaping is MUCH safer than smoking but doing neither is safer.

Fozzy

Member For 4 Years
Of course putting nothing in your body is safer. But when compared to the alternative it's safe. We sell NSAIDs over the counter and they are estimated to hospitalize over 100k people annually and result in countless 1000s of deaths annually.

Sugar is the leading cause of childhood diabetes and obesity. Again completely unrestricted. Caffeine is a drug and we market that stuff directly to kids.with Redbull and Monster. Hell they sponsor athletic events and are supposed to improve performance.

So the attack on vaping has nothing to do with what's in the interest of our children its about squashing businesses that threaten corporate profits of big industry

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do not forget the fear of the ignorant or the I don't do it so no one should crowds.
These are the ones that the medical industry, tobacco industry and pharma industries play upon and use as their front men.
All those industries do NOT make more money from healthy people.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Of course putting nothing in your body is safer. But when compared to the alternative it's safe. We sell NSAIDs over the counter and they are estimated to hospitalize over 100k people annually and result in countless 1000s of deaths annually.

Put nothing in your body and death is around 3 days away.
Sure NSAIDS, etc can kill and do sometimes.
Mistakes in hospitals kill more than do guns in the USA.
However I prefer to avoid strawmen.

Athletes should be particular about what they put in their body and darned sure should not be smoking.
they need their body to be in the best condition possible.
However especially with teen athletes that is a pipedream.
I do agree with the comment about the coach just looking for an excuse to use steroids on the teens.
It is all about winning, whether for profit or pride.

I view the article this thread is based on to be just alarmism and much ado about nothing.
And of course the industries profiting from illnesses from smoking to be pushing it to those I mentioned earlier to use them to increase their profits.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Funny thing. I used to race mountain bikes competitively. Had to quit smoking to do it and after taking a trip to Holland (where everyone smokes for some reason), came back home to a two pack a day habit again. Needless to say those next few weeks of racing was bad. This is actually how I ended up vaping, to kick the stinkies for a 1,000th time to race.

After vaping for a while and my lungs getting healthy again, I was all set to race again. I never was a real winner but thats not because of vaping, I just wasnt that fast on the trail and terrible on the climb. I also do ultra distance road cycling and love the looks of people when I am vaping up a storm at 25+ MPH on the 150th mile, leaving a trail of clouds like a choo choo train.

This article is total bullshit. I vape from the time I wake up, until I go to sleep. Presently due to poor fitness routines I can dance for 10 X 3 min rounds of boxing with a sparring partner. That is not a fitness limited situation. I attribute it to vaping because my lungs are no longer thrashed from smoking.

Fozzy

Member For 4 Years
Don't get me started I can understand Pharma and Big Tobacco's agenda but the AMA and the FDA, organizations that are to protect the public, are now more interested self preservation than protecting the public health. It's a farce. We let the fox into the hen house a long time. Now the ones who are supposed to be watching out for our best interest are in the pocket of industry.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh no, not another" vaping made".........
my penis fall off
me fuck my best friends wife
me beat the kids
me steal drugs
me sell my body

story.......................

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Whats heartbreaking is morons are ruining vaping with fake science and propaganda. People that want to kick the leading cause of preventable death will just keep smoking themselves to death because they are uninformed and think they are trading one poison for another. Thats whats heartbreaking.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep the medical industry does not want less customers and pharma makes big bucks off of meds to treat the ills caused by smoking.
Chemo drugs at thousands a pop?
And the oxygen concentrator industry exists mainly because of smokers ills.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whats heartbreaking is morons are ruining vaping with fake science and propaganda. People that want to kick the leading cause of preventable death will just keep smoking themselves to death because they are uninformed and think they are trading one poison for another. Thats whats heartbreaking.
Ohh I see it all the time around here. a lifelong smoker will manage to get out between coughing fits how vaping is bad for ya.
they all think I am crazy for vaping. I may be a bit daft, but not for vaping :)

the media programming people against the peoples own best interests is sad.. Well bad really the sad part is that most suck it up.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The privatization of science in this country is bad from many angles.
Many of their reports are nothing more than advertisements for those who fund them.
Be it for a product, politics, social stance, etc.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sure give that Athlete Steroids because he vaped once and let him blow everyone away in his weight class because you just legally gave him a PED. Fucking crazy motherfuckers.

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Good thing kids don’t drink booze or experiment with drugs anymore. They’d be suffering from cirrhosis and xxxxxx madness after “years” of use. I think these parents should look at the bright side, much better they just vape nicotine and aren’t drinking and drugging.
Because there’s no mention of drinking and drugging being reported on in regards to teens these days vaping must have eradicated it. Hooray another win for vaping!!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I wrote a long soapbox rant and deleted it.

We are all doomed. I am not aware of any other generation of kids set up for such a real world test failure as the current crop of 0-25 year kids. They will be making decisions for us one day and they have no survival instincts. That is terrifying.

bikerboogieman

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year

We are all doomed. I am not aware of any other generation of kids set up for such a real world test failure as the current crop of 0-25 year kids. They will be making decisions for us one day and they have no survival instincts. That is terrifying.

Great observation right there. Truth and reality are a real bitch. Just wait until they get a taste of both.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The Devolution of the human species thru technology.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personal responsibility is pretty much dead in the younger ones in the USA.
And many older ones as well.
Few take responsibility for the results of their decisions and actions.
It is always someone else's fault. Everyone is a victim..

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny thing. I used to race mountain bikes competitively. Had to quit smoking to do it and after taking a trip to Holland (where everyone smokes for some reason), came back home to a two pack a day habit again. Needless to say those next few weeks of racing was bad. This is actually how I ended up vaping, to kick the stinkies for a 1,000th time to race.

After vaping for a while and my lungs getting healthy again, I was all set to race again. I never was a real winner but thats not because of vaping, I just wasnt that fast on the trail and terrible on the climb. I also do ultra distance road cycling and love the looks of people when I am vaping up a storm at 25+ MPH on the 150th mile, leaving a trail of clouds like a choo choo train.

This article is total bullshit. I vape from the time I wake up, until I go to sleep. Presently due to poor fitness routines I can dance for 10 X 3 min rounds of boxing with a sparring partner. That is not a fitness limited situation. I attribute it to vaping because my lungs are no longer thrashed from smoking.
I did bmx racing as a kid and then basketball. Was slated to goto Duke to play and fucked it up with personal choices. Was in band for a few years bellowing on a trumpet. Cigs really took a toll on those dreams but I just don't see that teen vaping can ruin things the way cigarettes do. My ex wife's nephew plays high school football and is being looked at by recruiters from all over. I've told him the same. Inhaling nothing but air would be best but vaping is definitely better than smoking.

VU Sponsors