Vaping longer between charges in a regulated mod: testing an ICR battery

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My battery output based on my vaping pattern is typically 3 amps maximum. This translates to me usually using no more than 15 watts (coil resistance anywhere from 1.6 to 2.0 ohms). So for me, a high drain battery is not a necessity. And my preference is to be able to vape longer between charges, not necessarily vape stronger.

So despite some of the strong recommendations out there against the use of the more chemically volatile ICR 18650, I have purchased a pair of Samsung ICR18650 32A batteries to try in my Hana clone. It has a 3200 mAh capacity and 2C rating, which means I can output up to 6.4 amps if I wanted (or up to 30 watts on a 0.8 ohm coil to leave some room for error). The other interesting thing is that it takes a 4.35v charge, which means one would need a battery charger capable of handling this voltage. The standard charger in the US, I believe, is 4.2v.

I vaped with this battery for about 3 hours last night, and there is no drop in the clone's battery life indicator. With the Panasonic NCR18650PF, I would say that I would use 75%-85% of the battery's life in one "typical" vaping day. At this rate, the Samsung has already beaten the Panasonic, but I will provide an update later.

Most importantly, I still have all of my body parts intact, and am not out on the street due to having burned down my home :D .

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You are correct in the fact that most of the chargers used charge to 4.2v.

I think that if you want to charge to the 4.35v mark you need to get a charger from a place that sells to the RC crowd.

HobbyKid will know how to help you better than I could

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You are correct in the fact that most of the chargers used charge to 4.2v.

I think that if you want to charge to the 4.35v mark you need to get a charger from a place that sells to the RC crowd.

HobbyKid will know how to help you better than I could
Already have one, thanks ... Xtar WP2H

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks for the info about the new Xtar charger!

First I have heard of that model.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think you'll se once the ICR starts to drop off it will do so faster than the Panasonic.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think you'll se once the ICR starts to drop off it will do so faster than the Panasonic.
Ok, good to know. Will keep an eye on it.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On the 9th hour, the battery appeared to have about 2/3 life left.

From what I read elsewhere, I think the ICR's performance is compromised if it has a 4.35v charge capacity, but a 4.2v charger is used. In such a case, the battery's life between charges and output capacity are both diminished significantly (I don't remember the exact numbers). However, since I used a 4.35v charger, I'm hoping that I don't see the sudden drop-off that Scuba-Matt suggested could happen.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Crappy phone pic, but hopefully it shows that a little more than half of the battery life is still left. 15 hours later, no less! :D ... we may have a winner here.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update: after initially charging the Samsung on the WP2H, I have left it in the mod and used the USB cable to charge overnight.

The initial downtick in battery life occurs a little sooner after using this method. But the overall battery life still outlasts the Panasonic: it takes 16 hours for the Samsung to drop below half level, which means I can get close to 2 full days of vaping on a single charge.
steve-carell-not-bad-the-office.jpeg

One real negative, however. My Sigelei 30w mod won't recognize a 4.35v battery ...
argh.jpg

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Interestingly, the Samsung does work very nicely in my Tobeco DNA clone. Battery gauge still shows full life after 12 hours!
panic-smiley.gif

Dc01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would this 18650 32a work with Mech mod

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Would this 18650 32a work with Mech mod
he's specifically using that battery because of the safeties present in a regulated mod, and his fairly low wattage use. There are a lot of reasons you shouldn't put one of these in a mech, but I'll sum it up by saying no, because it's not safe. Don't.

Dc01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
he's specifically using that battery because of the safeties present in a regulated mod, and his fairly low wattage use. There are a lot of reasons you shouldn't put one of these in a mech, but I'll sum it up by saying no, because it's not safe. Don't.
Ya did my homework.....was told this battery was a 32amp by this lil smoke shop where I live .....Ya I made them exchange it .....got inr 25r instead....

VU Sponsors