Become a Patron!

Vaping music makers/producers.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone, I have made the same thread over at POTV's, but would also like to see people from other parts of the world that also make music.

I haven't been on here properly in about a month, as some of you know I had been very ill in March, nearly dying, and really needed to change my lifestyle.

I decided to get back into something I loved when I was younger- music. I thought it would be cool if all of us here who enjoy making music could share what we use.

I got myself a 15" MacBook Pro, a copy of Logic X, some Shure Sm58's, a interface and some JBL LSR305 studio monitors. I already had some things such as guitar and amp, but wanted to set up my own little studio.

I am happy with how its coming along, I need to remove the headboard, but underneath is currently no paint, so until then it is staying up.

GDw2s0R.jpg

I also need to get some acoustic treatment for the room, luckily it is not a bad size or shape for a studio, and move a few things around.

This is my main guitar, an ESP LTD MH1000 ( I got a great deal on it from abroad, instead of £750-800+, I got it for around about £550.
rTJYqNd.jpg

And my main amp, a Blackstar HT5M .Blackstar is a company made by ex Marshall employees. It's a high gain, 5 watt all valve head, with a 4x8 cab.
nzpkMa5.jpg

Also, here are the monitoring headphones. Some new Audio technica M50X's, and some old Sennheiser HD25 I-II's I have had for years. Also my interface.
SCMbhkc.jpg

fwQlE0E.jpg

z2Lfw3y.jpg

Studios, guitars, amps, pedals, drums, even pots and pans, if you have made music with it , post them here. We all like a look at others gear, and get GAS for some :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@5150sick you got some sound gear and like to mix mate dont you?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'll have to get some pics, but I have a similar setup - the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, a couple of M-Audio BX5 D2 monitors, a dedicated Macbook Pro, an Impact GX49 keyboard, a crapload of guitars and 5 amps, and more stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
This is my tracking and voice over room.

CCHL7HZ.jpg

We have audio codecs that stream from various recording spaces for the people I play with to feed mixes in. We make commercials and material for broadcasting. Its pretty fun.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
My sister does voice overs. In the house they just built last year, she actually had a studio drafted into the house plans. I don't have any pics of her studio, but here's her website:

https://www.ccheim.com/

Voice over is fun and your sister has a good voice and rhythm for it. We primarily do commercials and corporate presentations, safety videos, etc... We also do commercial soundscapes for a whole bunch of different applications, which is my favorite thing to do. Because my hearing is so bad I have had to build a bunch of custom stuff just to work.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is my tracking and voice over room.

CCHL7HZ.jpg

We have audio codecs that stream from various recording spaces for the people I play with to feed mixes in. We make commercials and material for broadcasting. Its pretty fun.
Looking good!

I can convert the room however I want now, it was my grandfathers but he passed on last year.What type of acoustic treatment is that, is it something you made yourself? I don't have the skills to make my own panels.

I need to add some acoustic treatment, and also get a comfortable chair! I'm currently using a dining room chair as my budget has gone on everything else. I'm getting the chair, treatment, and paint to decorate the room next Saturday.

I never realised just how much noise other people make though until I started recording in my house! If it's not a Bird tweeting, someone will flush the toilet. (the toilet is in my own house granted, and I can't exactly tell my Mum "No more of that using the toilet stuff".

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I haven't recorded anything in about 8 years - it was the opposite for me when I first tried to quit booze, I quit making music because they had always been together. I still have my TASCAM 484 though :teehee: and a Soundclick page

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=475907&content=songs

It's just...weird stuff, mostly electronic, a few with guitar, one acoustic song I layered with that Tascam 484 "Be Praise for Death" I was morbid back then

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You know what though? I'm moving in a month or so and there's an old drum set that the last dwellers left in the barn there, maybe I'll get back into it

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That Was genuinely weird (oscillated theramin pretty much puts the "weird" stamp on anything, yet I enjoyed it. Also much more skill in this than any of my tunes
No theremin - dude's been using keyboards since the mid 70's when we met. His first synth was an ARP 2600.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Looking good!

I can convert the room however I want now, it was my grandfathers but he passed on last year.What type of acoustic treatment is that, is it something you made yourself? I don't have the skills to make my own panels.

I need to add some acoustic treatment, and also get a comfortable chair! I'm currently using a dining room chair as my budget has gone on everything else. I'm getting the chair, treatment, and paint to decorate the room next Saturday.

I never realised just how much noise other people make though until I started recording in my house! If it's not a Bird tweeting, someone will flush the toilet. (the toilet is in my own house granted, and I can't exactly tell my Mum "No more of that using the toilet stuff".

This room had the ceilings and walls torn out and was mounted on both sides with mass loaded vinyl treatments and has two layers of sheetrock with a cavity on the surface as well as some denim type insulation in the walls. Every stud and seam has been filled and sealed. Only thing I didnt do was a soundproof door, but the one I have has been drilled out on the top and bottom and shot full of foam. I built all of the acoustic treatments for about the cost of 4 bass traps and a weekends worth of time, about 180 lbs of sound insulation in this room. For a room that has a bad shape, it sounds really good. It is like going to another world when you walk in it. It is very acoustically neutral and offers no noticeable coloration of sound. I have on the bottom of my list of honey do's, several small diffusers that I can use when I want to color the sound.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a quick song I made recently, about my alcohol addiction. The main reason I am building the studio is to keep me away from pubs, and other alcoholics. At my lowest, I hung with street drinkers, as these were the only people it was normal to open a bottle of vodka at 8AM with. Listen to bottom of a bottle take 2, the first take I had mixed wrong with the vocals too loud as I didn't have monitors at the time.
https://soundcloud.com/conan-jonathon-pierre-middleton

It's by no means a masterpiece, but I am having fun- I bet it will sound really strange to some of you to hear a man from the UK rapping.

@CrazyChef v2.0 , that track was cool, but very, very strange lol! I like experimental stuff sometimes though.

@jwill ,I unfortunately can't tear out the built in wardrobes, or knock any walls down. The room is a nice size though, 14x11x8.7 feet. Using a room mode calculator I've found the resonant frequencies and where exactly certain frequencies will be emphasised or weakened.

I can't go to the lengths you have gone to at the moment, all I can do is add things such as Rockwool, or acoustic foam. I have been told the Rockwool is better though, even though it looks much worse. I was thinking of installing the Rockwool, and covering it with some of those big, fabric posters, with some of my favourite artists from various genres on them. Dimebag has to be one one, thats for sure, Wiley is another.

The acoustics aren't awful without treatment at the moment- like the simple clap test is good, and dry vocals sound really good. I think I am lucky with this room.

I do want to add some soundproofing to one of the doors- it was my grandad's bedroom before he died, and it has an en suite. So after you flush the toilet, on recordings you can hear it refilling. I'm going to get some of the stuff on a roll to try and make it a bit better.

How much Rockwool would you recommend, and should I go for 50MM, or 100MM? I get double the coverage with the 50MM as you get more slabs.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
This is a quick song I made recently, about my alcohol addiction. The main reason I am building the studio is to keep me away from pubs, and other alcoholics. At my lowest, I hung with street drinkers, as these were the only people it was normal to open a bottle of vodka at 8AM with. Listen to bottom of a bottle take 2, the first take I had mixed wrong with the vocals too loud as I didn't have monitors at the time.
https://soundcloud.com/conan-jonathon-pierre-middleton

It's by no means a masterpiece, but I am having fun- I bet it will sound really strange to some of you to hear a man from the UK rapping.

@CrazyChef v2.0 , that track was cool, but very, very strange lol! I like experimental stuff sometimes though.

@jwill ,I unfortunately can't tear out the built in wardrobes, or knock any walls down. The room is a nice size though, 14x11x8.7 feet. Using a room mode calculator I've found the resonant frequencies and where exactly certain frequencies will be emphasised or weakened.

I can't go to the lengths you have gone to at the moment, all I can do is add things such as Rockwool, or acoustic foam. I have been told the Rockwool is better though, even though it looks much worse. I was thinking of installing the Rockwool, and covering it with some of those big, fabric posters, with some of my favourite artists from various genres on them. Dimebag has to be one one, thats for sure, Wiley is another.

The acoustics aren't awful without treatment at the moment- like the simple clap test is good, and dry vocals sound really good. I think I am lucky with this room.

I do want to add some soundproofing to one of the doors- it was my grandad's bedroom before he died, and it has an en suite. So after you flush the toilet, on recordings you can hear it refilling. I'm going to get some of the stuff on a roll to try and make it a bit better.

How much Rockwool would you recommend, and should I go for 50MM, or 100MM? I get double the coverage with the 50MM as you get more slabs.

Good for you to quit the bottle and take up something much healthier. As far as room setup our needs are much different for what is required in the application. When you get ready to do some treatments PM me, we can get a call up and show you a way to do some treatments without breaking the bank. Thats a good sized room for what you are doing. Congrats on the drinking thing.

VU Sponsors