Become a Patron!

Vaping Survey - please help health scientists understand successful vaping habits.

Dear Vapers,

I would like to enlist the experience and expertise in your community and forum! If you have a few minutes, please complete this anonymous survey we created to learn about vaping e-cig habits. Feel free to share! :

ADDED BY ADMIN: This survey is from the
Southeastern Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Project

http://www.sepatobaccofree.org/

Which might not be in the best interest of vaping

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8JV26LG

Thank you in advance!

-Dr. Sean McCormick
Health Promotion Council

Full disclosure: I am an objective public health researcher working from a place of pure curiosity and genuine search for truth. I am not 100% for or against vaping, but do believe we need more information, especially if we want to help people successfully switch from tobacco to vaping. I created the survey to shed light on vaping practices, with a focus on how they have helped people quit smoking tobacco, what settings, features, flavors, PG:VG ratios, etc. This project is not funded by any company or agency with commercial interests. I am happy to answer questions about my motivation and choices behind question design. *I am being honest here, so, please be honest in the survey. I am here to help (not to shut down the vaping industry). :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi Sean, welcome to the forum

As a long time vaper, I couldn't help but notice some of your questions could use some finessing and/or clarification if you want to learn about how and what people are vaping

Checking a box next to the photo of what your devices look like, it should be clarified if you are looking for an answer regarding current use or past vaping use.

For instance, I have vaped all the devices you show except Hookah, but for over a year and a half, have used only one type

Your question about Temperature Control is awkwardly presented, in that most regulated mods have TC these days, but not everyone actually uses it

Also, the battery voltage question is kinda off

It is quite possible you should ask what kind of battery vapers are using, not what volt of battery are you using

Just my unsolicited opinion - but, I smoked cigarettes (2.5 PAD!) for over 37 years and have not had one cigarette in over a year and a half, thanks to vaping

I care a lot about my fellow vapers and really care about helping those out there that are still addicted to tobacco

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea and maybe put a disclosure note at the bottom, stating this survey will not be used to compile an anti vaping champaign
ubtlukB.gif

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Expanding on what @JuicyLucy said I find surveys like this do a disservice to both the participants and the researcher. Humanity is far more complex and intricate than can truly be gleaned from a simplistic survey. Your research would be better served by simply reading the forum. Here you can be exposed to everything from the newest person just starting out to those of us who have gone full blown hobby mode and are way down the rabbit hole.

There's a section on regulated mods and one on mechanical mods (did you know there are two types) or read the section on batteries were you'll not only find what we use but also how we preach battery safety. There's a section just for people who are using the basic pen style vaporizers and one for introductions and one on health related, were the conversations lean towards "how I quit" or what experiences/concerns vapors are having. ad infinitum...

Another good approach would be to ask questions and have conversations but don't assume were all stupid. This is a very large forum with a world wide reach. We have everyone on here from retired educated professionals to the younger (but over 18) vapor.

I realize this is a more time consuming approach but unlike a snatch and grab simplistic survey this method factors in the complexity of the human element and gives you a much more accurate idea of what vaping is really all about and how it's helped get people heather. Isn't that better research?

EDIT: Here's something to look at https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...armful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Lucy. You should spend some time learning about vaping from the people here. You'll be able to raise the quality of your work by doing so.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would appear that this organization is associated with Tobacco Control initiatives and as such, I have reservations about their ultimate objective.

I, for one, will not be participating. Historically these groups have not shown the slightest bit of objectivity in regards to harm reduction so I have little reason to believe this, or their goals, have changed.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Here is something else to consider: online surveys - where participants voluntarily answer - are not scientifically valid statistical information

While they can shed some insight, they are not real science and should not be used as such

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I created the survey to shed light on vaping practices, with a focus on how they have helped people quit smoking tobacco, what settings, features, flavors, PG:VG ratios, etc. This project is not funded by any company or agency with commercial interests.

Your organization http://www.sepatobaccofree.org/ (Southeastern Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Project) seems mainly concerned with formulating anti-smoking policies for public housing at Philadelphia. Your survey items on vaping temps leads me to believe you are considering anti-vaping regulation at PA public housing and are concerned it will discourage those that really want to quit, through vaping. As others have mentioned, you may want to spend some time reading VU's threads, like these ...

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/is-vaping-really-helps-you-quit-smoking.307582/

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-do-you-stay-motivated.344732/

It would appear that this organization is associated with Tobacco Control initiatives and as such, I have reservations about their ultimate objective.

I, for one, will not be participating. Historically these groups have not shown the slightest bit of objectivity in regards to harm reduction so I have little reason to believe this, or their goals, have changed.

Agree.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your organization http://www.sepatobaccofree.org/ (Southeastern Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Project) seems mainly concerned with formulating anti-smoking policies for public housing at Philadelphia. Your survey items on vaping temps leads me to believe you are considering anti-vaping regulation at PA public housing and are concerned it will discourage those that really want to quit, through vaping. As others have mentioned, you may want to spend some time reading VU's threads, like these ...

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/is-vaping-really-helps-you-quit-smoking.307582/

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-do-you-stay-motivated.344732/

Agree.
I can smell them a mile away

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sceptical to say at least that this "survey" won't be used for some anti-vaping Big Pharma funded anti vaping disinformation campaign.

If any reputable health org needs information there is a plethora of it out there. They can start with what studies are supported by the Royal Collage of Physicians for one. It's not like they're one of if not the most respected Medical Science institutions in the world that has only been around 500 years. Plus being the Institution that lead the world on how deadly Cigarettes are.

Just sayin'

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sceptical to say at least that this "survey" won't be used for some anti-vaping Big Pharma funded anti vaping disinformation campaign.

If any reputable health org needs information there is a plethora of it out there. They can start with what studies are supported by the Royal Collage of Physicians for one. It's not like they're one of if not the most respected Medical Science institutions in the world that has only been around 500 years. Plus being the Institution that lead the world on how deadly Cigarettes are.

Just sayin'
Ohh but they would not get grants and other money for doing that!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I agree. Tobacco control is just *people control* and is only carried on by CONTROL FREAKS to whom all I have to say is :finger:

Control freaks need to sweep around their own damn back doors and LEAVE EVERYONE ELSE ALONE.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the OP is still reading posts.
During 40+ years of smoking I quit several times using cold turkey, patch, pills that depress ya, etc. Longest I stayed quit was 6 months.

Had given up on quitting. Wife sneaked and got me a cigalike kit which was very overpriced.
I thought what the heck since she got it. I smoked my last cigarette less than 1 week later and over 2.5 yrs later still smoke free. Not 1 cigarette.
I now make all my own ejuice and only use rebuildable atomizers.
I feel lots better and save a LOT of money.

your survey will NOT properly represent my success with vaping as a risk reduction smoking cessation method.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If the OP is still reading posts.
During 40+ years of smoking I quit several times using cold turkey, patch, pills that depress ya, etc. Longest I stayed quit was 6 months.

Had given up on quitting. Wife sneaked and got me a cigalike kit which was very overpriced.
I thought what the heck since she got it. I smoked my last cigarette less than 1 week later and over 2.5 yrs later still smoke free. Not 1 cigarette.
I now make all my own ejuice and only use rebuildable atomizers.
I feel lots better and save a LOT of money.

your survey will NOT properly represent my success with vaping as a risk reduction smoking cessation method.
Same here....40+ yrs @ a pack a day. The day I started vaping is the day I quit smoking, almost 3 years ago.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I looked at the survey and it was apparent that they are clueless about vaping.

It gets worse. OP was going to spin and falsify survey results to prove an existing position ...

http://www.sepatobaccofree.org/faq#ecig

Can e-cigarettes or vaping help me quit smoking?

Answer: Electronic cigarettes and vaping have not be fully researched as tools for quitting smoking. Some studies have found that cigarette smokers can switch to e-cigarettes or vaping nicotine, which may be somewhat less harmful, though we don't know for sure. However, other studies show that the use of e-cigarettes or vaping as a way to quit smoking is associated with increased chances of smoking relapse. So, no, e-cigarettes or vaping are not the best options. Feel free to contact us to discuss or learn further or check out our interview on WHYY Radio Times.
Dr. Sean McCormick is a fraud and a piece of :poop:

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It gets worse. OP was going to spin and falsify survey results to prove an existing position ...

Answer: Electronic cigarettes and vaping have not be fully researched as tools for quitting smoking. Some studies have found that cigarette smokers can switch to e-cigarettes or vaping nicotine, which may be somewhat less harmful, though we don't know for sure. However, other studies show that the use of e-cigarettes or vaping as a way to quit smoking is associated with increased chances of smoking relapse. So, no, e-cigarettes or vaping are not the best options. Feel free to contact us to discuss or learn further or check out our interview on WHYY Radio Times.

And clearly is pretty illiterate, too: "Electronic cigarettes and vaping have not be fully researched" -- "have not be"? What the hell kind of English is THAT???

Dr. Sean McCormick:
GET THE NEWS, YOU CORRUPT QUACK: VAPING IS THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY TO QUIT SMOKING BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Andria

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Dear Vapers,

I would like to enlist the experience and expertise in your community and forum! If you have a few minutes, please complete this anonymous survey we created to learn about vaping e-cig habits. Feel free to share! :

Thank you in advance!

-Dr. Sean McCormick
Health Promotion Council

Full disclosure: I am an objective public health researcher working from a place of pure curiosity and genuine search for truth. I am not 100% for or against vaping, but do believe we need more information, especially if we want to help people successfully switch from tobacco to vaping. I created the survey to shed light on vaping practices, with a focus on how they have helped people quit smoking tobacco, what settings, features, flavors, PG:VG ratios, etc. This project is not funded by any company or agency with commercial interests. I am happy to answer questions about my motivation and choices behind question design. *I am being honest here, so, please be honest in the survey. I am here to help (not to shut down the vaping industry). :)
Well since you're happy to answer questions about your motivation you might want to start responding to why your "full disclosure" didn't disclose your affiliation to the Southeastern Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Project with a mission of tobacco prevention and control and false claims that vaping isn't a good option for quitting smoking. Unethical much? ;)
I'm one of the many who tried everything to quit smoking and was finally successful with vaping, three years cigarette free and my health has improved significantly. Don't even try to stop vaping unless your goal is to kill people with cigarettes, your patches recommendations will do just that.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Helping People Quit Smoking

The tobacco control goalpost has been moved so far that now all of a sudden nicotine IS tobacco!

e-cig (comes nicotine free)
e-juice (comes nicotine free)
vaping (the act of using a vaporizer, the equivalent of calling the word "smoking" a tobacco product)
tanks (no nicotine or tobacco involved in "tanks")
all these are considered "tobacco" now by these "people"?

The goalpost has been moved so far that they can now choose basic words and call the words "tobacco"

Cotton = Tobacco
Wire = Tobacco
Batteries = Tobacco
Circuit Board = Tobacco

At the rate these guys are going you are going to get hit with a tobacco tax when you buy a Tesla or Hybrid Vehicle
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Helping People Quit Smoking

The tobacco control goalpost has been moved so far that now all of a sudden nicotine IS tobacco!

e-cig (comes nicotine free)
e-juice (comes nicotine free)
vaping (the act of using a vaporizer, the equivalent of calling the word "smoking" a tobacco product)
tanks (no nicotine or tobacco involved in "tanks")
all these are considered "tobacco" now by these "people"?

The goalpost has been moved so far that they can now choose basic words and call the words "tobacco"

Cotton = Tobacco
Wire = Tobacco
Batteries = Tobacco
Circuit Board = Tobacco

At the rate these guys are going you are going to get hit with a tobacco tax when you buy a Tesla or Hybrid Vehicle
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Don't forget foods like Potato's, Tomato's, Eggplant, Strawberry's, etc. etc.
But at least those foods actually have Nicotine ;)

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was trying to be nice but now that others are calling him out....

You sir are a purveyor of junk science and lies. Your kind are responsible for the devolution of democracy and the rise of fascism.

You have no ethics and can't see beyond your own morally bankrupt dogma that want's to control everyone and force them to think like you. Like a good little fascist you want everyone doing the goose step under you banner of misinformation and hate.

History has shown that haters eventually are reviled and relegated to the gutter were you belong, unfortunately doing a lot of damage to others along the way.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I actually doubt this Stool Sample is actually posting these, I'd put my money on him paying some sweatshop internet forum trolls in Nigeria to.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, let's just call the OP what he is. You're a dickhead for not being honest with us.

That, and he's also a dickhead for wanting to control other people in the first place. It's called a lot of things in the DSM-5, since it's a symptom of mental health pathology, but I just call it what it is: CONTROL FREAK.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And let's also point out so that this quack can read it: ACTUAL doctors, who ACTUALLY treat patients, are IN FAVOR OF VAPING, because IT ACTUALLY WORKS to help people quit smoking and stay that way, UNLIKE EVERY CESSATION PRODUCT OFFERED BY BIG PHARMA.

In the words of my own doctor: "ANYTHING is better than smoking."

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I actually doubt this Stool Sample is actually posting these, I'd put my money on him paying some sweatshop internet forum trolls in Nigeria to.

Now, i'd send him a Stool Sample
He doesn't even need to ask.
All I need is an address...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
3mg? That's just about a homeopathic level of nicotine. Tomato juice has more than that, doesn't it? ;)

Which is one reason I continue to assert that nicotine alone is not very "addictive", nor even terribly "habit-forming", at all -- the ONLY reason I continue to use 3mg is because of Alzheimers in one grandmother, and senile dementia in the other: I'd like my marbles to remain firmly in place, despite what may well be a much longer life, thx to quitting smoking. If nicotine was as addictive as all the idiot "tobacco control" morons have been blathering, I'm pretty sure that after smoking for 39 yrs, I'd still need a buttload of it. I needed the MAOIs from tobacco quite badly, to be able to finally quit, but nicotine? Pfft. That's not a thang at all. Quitting the WTA was very challenging, thx to those MAOIs, but not nearly as difficult as cold-turkey smoking cessation, nor even when I tried those USELESS patches -- it took 15 months of steady weaning-down, but that was pretty simple, since it's a liquid that I added to my ejuice, and could add progressively less.

If these "tobacco control" morons had even HALF a brain, and/or REALLY wanted anyone to ACTUALLY quit smoking, they'd figure this shit out themselves, and their butt buddy big pharma could add some WTA to those useless patches -- they might approach 10% effectiveness, if they had that, rather than the pathetic 3%-5% effective they are currently. Which just goes to prove that they don't REALLY want anyone to actually quit smoking; they just want people they can demonize and belittle, to give themselves a false sense of superiority, and above all -- JOBS -- demonizing and belittling smokers.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3mg? That's just about a homeopathic level of nicotine. Tomato juice has more than that, doesn't it? ;)
Green tomatoes has 10 times the nicotine of ripe tomatoes.
You would have to consume over 20 kg of green tomatoes to get 1 mg of nicotine.
Eggplant seems to be the highest nic content veggie. However you would still have to eat 10 kg of eggplant to get 1 mg of nicotine.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Part 2'

So lets say that I Vape 10 ml of 3mg ejuice a day. I would have to eat over my own weight in green tomatoes to get the same amount of nicotine?

Somehow I do not think that eating green tomatoes will work as a smoking cessation method.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Part 2'

So lets say that I Vape 10 ml of 3mg ejuice a day. I would have to eat over my own weight in green tomatoes to get the same amount of nicotine?

Somehow I do not think that eating green tomatoes will work as a smoking cessation method.

It damn sure wouldn't for me, I can't abide green tomatoes. I can't eat tomatoes at all, I can't digest all that acid without massive digestive upset and pain.

Thank god for vaping. We WILL get the best of these "tobacco control" idiots who are merely self-serving drones of big pharma.

Andria

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Dear Vapers,

ADDED BY ADMIN: This survey is from the
Southeastern Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Project

http://www.sepatobaccofree.org/

Which might not be in the best interest of vaping

Thank you in advance!

-Dr. Sean McCormick
Health Promotion Council

I think everyone on here is right on the money. Hang around here and browse around. You will get so much insight and info.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You would have to consume over 20 kg of green tomatoes to get 1 mg of nicotine.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm not sure whether 3mg is the most popular strength or not, but it certainly wouldn't be adequate for someone actively trying to substitute vapor for cigarettes.

Then there's also the question of what defines "most popular". Is it the volume of liquid sold at that strength, or or the number of people who buy that strength? When people go though 10-30 ml a day of 3mg, sales of that strength are going to be vastly out of proportion to the number of people using it. There's a heck of a lot of us who've stuck to MTL vaping something stronger, who go though 5ml or less a day.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Which is one reason I continue to assert that nicotine alone is not very "addictive", nor even terribly "habit-forming", at all -- the ONLY reason I continue to use 3mg is because of Alzheimers in one grandmother, and senile dementia in the other: I'd like my marbles to remain firmly in place, despite what may well be a much longer life, thx to quitting smoking. If nicotine was as addictive as all the idiot "tobacco control" morons have been blathering, I'm pretty sure that after smoking for 39 yrs, I'd still need a buttload of it. I needed the MAOIs from tobacco quite badly, to be able to finally quit, but nicotine? Pfft. That's not a thang at all. Quitting the WTA was very challenging, thx to those MAOIs, but not nearly as difficult as cold-turkey smoking cessation, nor even when I tried those USELESS patches -- it took 15 months of steady weaning-down, but that was pretty simple, since it's a liquid that I added to my ejuice, and could add progressively less.

If these "tobacco control" morons had even HALF a brain, and/or REALLY wanted anyone to ACTUALLY quit smoking, they'd figure this shit out themselves, and their butt buddy big pharma could add some WTA to those useless patches -- they might approach 10% effectiveness, if they had that, rather than the pathetic 3%-5% effective they are currently. Which just goes to prove that they don't REALLY want anyone to actually quit smoking; they just want people they can demonize and belittle, to give themselves a false sense of superiority, and above all -- JOBS -- demonizing and belittling smokers.

Andria
People are different.

I'm 3-1/2 years cig free. I was "stuck" at 15mg for several years. Late last year, I started cutting back, 0.5mg at at time. (I mix big batches that last months). I'm currently at 13 and find my consumption of liquid has increased somewhat. In other words, I'm using the about same amount of nic, but inhaling more PG, VG, and flavorings. To my way of thinking, that's not a good thing, so I'm going to stop here until my consumption is back to 5ml a day. If it doesn't get there by the time I've used all the 13 I've mixed, I'll make the next batch marginally stronger.

Oh and when I need to spend time someplace I can't vape (that's pretty rare, most often involving airline travel, which I rather despise), I still find nic gum essential to maintaining my sanity.

Bottom line: Some people are more dependent on nic than others. But we know that's true of pretty much any "addictive" substance. One guy who works for me is a "social" smoker. When it comes to alcohol, I can take it or leave it and I mostly leave it, while my wife (who has never used nic) is not a happy camper without some wine in the evening. Same sort of thing is true about substances we can't talk about here.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm not sure whether 3mg is the most popular strength or not, but it certainly wouldn't be adequate for someone actively trying to substitute vapor for cigarettes.

Then there's also the question of what defines "most popular". Is it the volume of liquid sold at that strength, or or the number of people who buy that strength? When people go though 10-30 ml a day of 3mg, sales of that strength are going to be vastly out of proportion to the number of people using it. There's a heck of a lot of us who've stuck to MTL vaping something stronger, who go though 5ml or less a day.
You just got me curious as to how much nicotine is in some vegetables.
I kept on hearing 'but vegetables have nicotine in them'.
So Google Fu time.

Turns out most are in the ng/g strength of nicotine.
Eggplant has the highest of any I saw.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I smell deep dark trouble!

Where's the Eggman!!!!!!!!

RIP Divine

Andria

What I get really sick of hearing is that nicotine is more addictive or as addictive as <censored>, BULLSHIT! I've known/know people addicted to that shit, not even FUCKING CLOSE!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Where's the Eggman!!!!!!!!

RIP Divine

What I get really sick of hearing is that nicotine is more addictive or as addictive as <censored>, BULLSHIT! I've known/know people addicted to that shit, not even FUCKING CLOSE!

Yeah, I really do think it's much closer to caffeine -- some people can take it or leave it, or maybe have a bit in the morning but try to do without it most other times (that would be my own position), and some people simply cannot function without it -- when I told my son that part of my fix for the puffy ankles and sore lumpy feet I started suffering just after I started vaping was to substantially reduce my caffeine intake (while increasing fluids and potassium), he was completely appalled and said he hoped that vaping didn't affect him that way -- without caffeine, he has about as much charm as a honey badger. :D Nicotine seems quite similar.

Andria

VU Sponsors