Become a Patron!

Vaping Terminology is Overwhelming

Currently I have an eVic VT 60W on the way that I ordered from Vapenw, and after doing some research on the Internet I was overwhelmed with all those terms. What I understood that it comes with 2 atomizers, Ni and Ti, + a tank, but then I read about wicking and coiling and subtanks and rda and rta which got me confused.

My question is, how do I maintain the thing? Do I need to have parts in advance? Because an order would take 2 weeks to arrive since I ship overseas and I want to be prepared.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Currently I have an eVic VT 60W on the way that I ordered from Vapenw, and after doing some research on the Internet I was overwhelmed with all those terms. What I understood that it comes with 2 atomizers, Ni and Ti, + a tank, but then I read about wicking and coiling and subtanks and rda and rta which got me confused.

My question is, how do I maintain the thing? Do I need to have parts in advance? Because an order would take 2 weeks to arrive since I ship overseas and I want to be prepared.

Assuming you bought the kit.
It comes with 1 atomizer (tank), two coils, and the Mod (battery & control unit). The coils are what go inside the atomizer and vaporize the juice. Both these coils are used in temp control mode on the mod. Ni stands for nickel (wire or heating element), and the Ti stands for titanium (wire). You will have your Mod set for one or the other.

The coils are what have the wire/heating element & wicking material built inside. Don't worry about all the other rda's, rta's etc... You can learn about all that later. Right now, all you need is this kit and some juice. Don't go too high on the nicotine level either. If you're a pack a day cig smoker, then 6mg nic is probably good for this setup.

You might want to order some more coils since it takes two weeks to get to you. Although, a single coil should last you a couple weeks.

Watch plenty of videos on how your new kit works, hang out here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome to VU

Assuming you bought the kit.
It comes with 1 atomizer (tank), two coils, and the Mod (battery & control unit). The coils are what go inside the atomizer and vaporize the juice. Both these coils are used in temp control mode on the mod. Ni stands for nickel (wire or heating element), and the Ti stands for titanium (wire). You will have your Mod set for one or the other.

The coils are what have the wire/heating element & wicking material built inside. Don't worry about all the other rda's, rta's etc... You can learn about all that later. Right now, all you need is this kit and some juice. Don't go too high on the nicotine level either. If you're a pack a day cig smoker, then 6mg nic is probably good for this setup.

You might want to order some more coils since it takes two weeks to get to you. Although, a single coil should last you a couple weeks.

Watch plenty of videos on how your new kit works, hang out here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome to VU
Yes, I got this exact kit and it arrives tomorrow! I ordered juices with various nicotine levels so I can see what would work for me. Would you recommend a specific set of coils? I wouldn't mind paying more if the tank needs to also be changed.

Thanks!

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I got this exact kit and it arrives tomorrow! I ordered juices with various nicotine levels so I can see what would work for me. Would you recommend a specific set of coils? I wouldn't mind paying more if the tank needs to also be changed.
Thanks!

No, I can't recommend any specific coils since I've never used that system. I believe those coils are specific to that tank though, which means you will only be able to buy what they have available.

Maybe figure out which one of the two you like best and order more of that. They also have kanthal wire coils available, but those won't run in temp control mode. Temp control helps you to not burn the cotton wicking material when the tank runs out of juice. ie: "dry hit". It senses when the coils get too hot and shuts down the power. Kanthal coils, on the other hand, will allow you to dial in the flavor better (in my opinion), but will give you a nasty tasting dry hit if you accidentally run your tank dry. Too many dry hits with that coil, the wicking material will be burned and you will have to replace the coil prematurely. So if you are careful about not letting your tank run dry, kanthal coils are a good way to go. You just adjust the wattage up or down according to what you like.

You will also find that some juice will wick better than others. The higher the VG content, the thicker the juice is, thus wicks slower. PG is a thin liquid, but is a better flavor carrier than VG. With a Sub tank, I would stick with a juice that is no thicker than 70%vg and 30%pg. However, too high of a pg concentration, can irritate your throat. (at least it does mine) It's another one of those things you will figure out what works best for you.

As far as the tank is concerned, I'd hang on to that for a while until you figure out whats going on in the industry.

The RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer) is a tank where you make your own wire coils, install them, and wick them with cotton yourself. There are many videos about this as well.

The tank you bought is commonly referred to as a "sub tank", in which you buy the pre-built coil pods or cartridges. The sub-tanks have become quite advanced and are wonderful introducing new Vapers into the world of "sub-ohming" (coil resistance under 1 ohm), without the hassle of learning how to build coils yourself and all the stuff that goes along with that.

Just go slow, do your research before going out and spending a lot of money. Concentrate on figuring out what juices you like and the nic level that works best for you. And have fun

Last edited:
No, I can't recommend any specific coils since I've never used that system. I believe those coils are specific to that tank though, which means you will only be able to buy what they have available.

Maybe figure out which one of the two you like best and order more of that. They also have kanthal wire coils available, but those won't run in temp control mode. Temp control helps you to not burn the cotton wicking material when the tank runs out of juice. ie: "dry hit". It senses when the coils get too hot and shuts down the power. Kanthal coils, on the other hand, will allow you to dial in the flavor better (in my opinion), but will give you a nasty tasting dry hit if you accidentally run your tank dry. Too many dry hits with that coil, the wicking material will be burned and you will have to replace the coil prematurely. So if you are careful about not letting your tank run dry, kanthal coils are a good way to go. You just adjust the wattage up or down according to what you like.

You will also find that some juice will wick better than others. The higher the VG content, the thicker the juice is, thus wicks slower. PG is a thin liquid, but is a better flavor carrier than VG. With a Sub tank, I would stick with a juice that is no thicker than 70%vg and 30%pg. However, too high of a pg concentration, can irritate your throat. (at least it does mine) It's another one of those things you will figure out what works best for you.

As far as the tank is concerned, I'd hang on to that for a while until you figure out whats going on in the industry.

The RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer) is a tank where you make your own wire coils, install them, and wick them with cotton yourself. There are many videos about this as well.

The tank you bought is commonly referred to as a "sub tank", in which you buy the pre-built coil pods or cartridges. The sub-tanks have become quite advanced and are wonderful introducing new Vapers into the world of "sub-ohming" (coil resistance under 1 ohm), without the hassle of learning how to build coils yourself and all the stuff that goes along with that.

Just go slow, do your research before going out and spending a lot of money. Concentrate on figuring out what juices you like and the nic level that works best for you. And have fun
Wow, this has been really helpful. Much appreciated.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saudi Arabia, where selling of vaporizers is banned. There's a chance that I'd open the package and find out it was confiscated, but one of my old colleagues didn't have problems ordering his, so fingers crossed
Oh ok, good luck bro, I hope you get it all intact!!

VAPE ON

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saudi Arabia, where selling of vaporizers is banned. There's a chance that I'd open the package and find out it was confiscated, but one of my old colleagues didn't have problems ordering his, so fingers crossed

Is it illegal for you to own one and use it? Weird since Saudi Arabia is one of the world's largest importer's of tobacco products like cigarettes.

Is it illegal for you to own one and use it? Weird since Saudi Arabia is one of the world's largest importer's of tobacco products like cigarettes.
Not quite sure, but I'd say yes. When I tried to ship it here my carrier put my shipment on hold until I verbally confirmed that I take full responsibility.

Smoking cigarettes and hookah is very common among Saudis, but ecigs are banned nonetheless. Well, it's not like drugs or alcohol, but you can't buy it from stores.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not quite sure, but I'd say yes. When I tried to ship it here my carrier put my shipment on hold until I verbally confirmed that I take full responsibility.

Smoking cigarettes and hookah is very common among Saudis, but ecigs are banned nonetheless. Well, it's not like drugs or alcohol, but you can't buy it from stores.

Very strange. Wonder what they used for reasoning. I guess in SA, what ever the king says is law, regardless of reason.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to chime in as I used one of these for two weeks before adding it to our store. It's a very solid device and I have to say I'm quite impressed with it. The tank is probably the most efficient (i.e. the amount of juice it uses) that I've come across. It does come with Ni (Nickel) and Ti (Titanium) coils. Make absolutely sure that you set the mod on Ti mode when using the Ti coils. If you leave it in Ni mode you'll blow the Ti coil. This is the first off-the-shelf atomizer I've come across with Ti coils. They have a slightly slower ramp up time than the Ni and tend to run a tad hotter at a given temp setting. That said I quite like the Ti coils.

I think they're being offered primarily due to the fact that there are some concerns (founded or not) about the safety of Ni coils. Please understand I don't think there's any need to panic but agree with what I've read that more research is needed to make sure none of the nickel is being aerosolized as that could be harmful. I personally doubt it is, but I'm no scientist. It is true that Nickel is a known human carcinogen and Titanium is known to be safe for virtually everyone (some people do have an allergy) as that's what's used with hip/knee replacements.

VU Sponsors