Become a Patron!

Vaping trendy and hip?

Ruppy_bear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I been getting a lot free stuff lately due to the fact that a know a lot of ppl quit vaping and just continue on with smoking. They didn't vape to quit smoking, they did it cuz it was new and looked interesting. (I think)

I started vaping way back (like 6 years ago) with a ego-t and I never really thought about upgrading setup. I wasn't vaping to quit smoking, I didn't really know what I was really vaping for lol. Flash forward till now I still don't know what I'm vaping for (maybe it's trying to be cool). But for some reason it kinda became kinda of a hobby for me going to different vape shops and hangout, buying a bunch parts mix matching/customizing, to trying to learn tricks.

A lot of vapers say that it's cuz these trend go-ers/hipster are ruining the scene. Then u have some vapers say that it shouldn't even be a trend as its something to help someone quit smoking.

How do u guys see it.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me? Had my kids not seen a "wanna quit smoking, come in" sign in a vape shope 3 yrs ago id still smell like a cigarette. After 25 yrs i never thought id stop. I vape 0 or 3nic but its now become a hobby as well...from learning how to make coils to buying new mods. Met a bunch of great vapers and have no regrets i walked in that store...havent touched a cig since but most importantly...my kids are proud of me and now if they ask "have u smoked?" Im not lying when i say nope. Before id say nope but had just bathed in cologne and ate 3 mints...
NO REGRETS...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently, as far as the youth is concerned, Vaping is now reserved for douchebags. It is no longer the "cool" thing to be doing from what I understand.

Works for me. Now if only the kids would tell the government that so they will leave the rest of us alone.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently, as far as the youth is concerned, Vaping is now reserved for douchebags. It is no longer the "cool" thing to be doing from what I understand.

Works for me. Now if only the kids would tell the government that so they will leave the rest of us alone.
I can live with that title...been called worse

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive noticed that the "truth" douchebags -- you know, those cringy, scripted teen commercials about a super cool hipster "revolution" against big tobacco etc -- they are now turning their focus on vaping, and in particular juul. But like the other person said here, if kids don't think vaping is cool anymore that's A-OK with me.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm 54 and when I take a vape all the young guys come over and they are like......

Nice cloud dude.....
What flavor you Vaping ?
What mod you have ?
26650, 18650, 20700 ?
What Ohms dude ?
Aliens, Clapton's, Mohawks ?

It goes on forever.......

So do I feel trendy and hip......

HELL YEAH......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm 54 and when I take a vape all the young guys come over and they are like......

Nice cloud dude.....
What flavor you Vaping ?
What mod you have ?
26650, 18650, 20700 ?
What Ohms dude ?
Aliens, Clapton's, Mohawks ?

It goes on forever.......

So do I feel trendy and hip......

HELL YEAH......

Yeah...i like that too. Then they pull out theyre mods...and i show mine and the ol man gets respect....im 45...lol

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me, I'm coming up on 56, smoked for over 36 years and have been off the Stinkies for coming up on 4 years. I never thought I'd ever quit smoking, Vaping changed all that.

My preference is Mech's and my builds produce some very healthy plumage. Is the motivation to be cool and hip? At my age I don't give a shit nor what people think of it, it keeps me off the Stinkies and that's all that matters. But I do say that I do love the Hobby side.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Me, I'm coming up on 56, smoked for over 36 years and have been off the Stinkies for coming up on 4 years. I never thought I'd ever quit smoking, Vaping changed all that.

My preference is Mech's and my builds produce some very healthy plumage. Is the motivation to be cool and hip? At my age I don't give a shit nor what people think of it, it keeps me off the Stinkies for that's all that matters. But I do say that I do love the Hobby side.

Very similar here -- smoked for 39 yrs, tried 4 times to quit and failed miserably, now, thx to vaping and ONLY to vaping, I've been smoke-free for over 4 yrs -- never ever thought that would happen! I'd given up the whole idea of quitting because I couldn't stand the suffering, but still wanted to become a non-smoker. Vaping made it happen.

What teenagers do, I could really care less, but I kinda resent them taking this life-saving technology and using it to "be cool", and in so doing, causing the FDA and all the smoke nazis to freak the fuck out about "teen vaping" and "kid flavors." When they take all the fucking flavoring out of alcoholic beverages, THEN they can worry about flavoring in vapes, and not one instant sooner.

Andria

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very similar here -- smoked for 39 yrs, tried 4 times to quit and failed miserably, now, thx to vaping and ONLY to vaping, I've been smoke-free for over 4 yrs -- never ever thought that would happen! I'd given up the whole idea of quitting because I couldn't stand the suffering, but still wanted to become a non-smoker. Vaping made it happen.

What teenagers do, I could really care less, but I kinda resent them taking this life-saving technology and using it to "be cool", and in so doing, causing the FDA and all the smoke nazis to freak the fuck out about "teen vaping" and "kid flavors." When they take all the fucking flavoring out of alcoholic beverages, THEN they can worry about flavoring in vapes, and not one instant sooner.

Andria
To me it doesn't matter if vaping disappeared tomorrow...... I have enough shit to last me a lifetime.......

What matters most is being able to see and help young people stay away from smoking cigarettes and loose almost 30 years of life to this fucking nasty habit like I did.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I been getting a lot free stuff lately due to the fact that a know a lot of ppl quit vaping and just continue on with smoking. They didn't vape to quit smoking, they did it cuz it was new and looked interesting. (I think)

I started vaping way back (like 6 years ago) with a ego-t and I never really thought about upgrading setup. I wasn't vaping to quit smoking, I didn't really know what I was really vaping for lol. Flash forward till now I still don't know what I'm vaping for (maybe it's trying to be cool). But for some reason it kinda became kinda of a hobby for me going to different vape shops and hangout, buying a bunch parts mix matching/customizing, to trying to learn tricks.

A lot of vapers say that it's cuz these trend go-ers/hipster are ruining the scene. Then u have some vapers say that it shouldn't even be a trend as its something to help someone quit smoking.

How do u guys see it.

I say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Who gives a shit why other people vape? I vape because I want to. Other people vape because they want to. For their own reasons.

I don't give a rat's ass why people vape. If they are grown, they can vape for whatever reason they see fit. I don't care if they vape, if they don't vape or why they vape or don't vape.

And I'll add that I don't give a shit if people smoke either. It's their fucking business, not mine.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What matters most is being able to see and help young people stay away from smoking cigarettes and loose almost 30 years of life to this fucking nasty habit like I did.

Yes, I agree, and any teen who's trying to get free of smoking, I will help and assist in any way, and the FDA can blow it out their ass. But the kids who just vape because it's cool... they're trivializing something that could save so many lives, and making the smoke nazis have kittens about "OMG teen vaping!"

I know I've been known to make intemperate remarks about cloud chasers, but it's been brought to my attention over and over that for many, those thick clouds really are necessary for them to feel truly satisfied with their vape, and so I've backed off those intemperate remarks a bit -- my son actually falls somewhere in that category. But the idiots who are just BLOWING PHAT CLOUDZ BRO to make a spectacle of themselves and annoy others... for them I have nothing but the utmost contempt -- THEY are the 10% who are spoiling things for everyone, where public vaping is concerned.

Intentions matter. Vaping to get free/stay free of smoking, absolutely the best possible reason to vape, NO MATTER THE VAPER'S AGE. Creating those "phat cloudz" because that's what it takes for some to be truly satisfied with vaping rather than smoking, well ok, blow some whipped cream clouds if that's what you need to do. But kids vaping to be "cool", blowing "phat cloudz" to be annoying... neither is cool at all.

Andria

Ruppy_bear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
^
But these days vaping is marketed as being cool and most of the companies want ppl to know that vaping is cool. I also know a few ppl that vape but don't smoke, one of my friends says that he doesn't have to carry his both his phone but he must carry his vapes (yes I said vapes as he carry multiple Devices)
i have also met ppl that continue to vape after they have quit smoking. They said that vaping has became a hobby for them with flavors and coils. And doing tricks has became a passion.

I live in a society where most vapers still smoke and smoking is the norm but at the same time, same place is also the home of modern vaping. I don't see what's wrong with marketing vaping as kinda cool but the hipster thing feels a bit odd for me (I don't dress like one or act like one but I feel like I'm kinda like one).

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
^
But these days vaping is marketed as being cool and most of the companies want ppl to know that vaping is cool. I also know a few ppl that vape but don't smoke, one of my friends says that he doesn't have to carry his both his phone but he must carry his vapes (yes I said vapes as he carry multiple Devices)
i have also met ppl that continue to vape after they have quit smoking. They said that vaping has became a hobby for them with flavors and coils. And doing tricks has became a passion.

I live in a society where most vapers still smoke and smoking is the norm but at the same time, same place is also the home of modern vaping. I don't see what's wrong with marketing vaping as kinda cool but the hipster thing feels a bit odd for me (I don't dress like one or act like one but I feel like I'm kinda like one).

Most people who are marketing a product want to make it look cool, really doesnt matter what it is. Cool sells. Tobacco did the same thing as did alcohol and sodas and candy and so on.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people who are marketing a product want to make it look cool, really doesnt matter what it is. Cool sells. Tobacco did the same thing as did alcohol and sodas and candy and so on.

Soccer mom mini vans are marketed as "cool". Or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at least they try.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I quit smoking thx to vaping 4 yrs ago. And I still vape, all day everyday, and very likely will continue to do so for the rest of my life. Not to do stupid tricks, or because it's "cool," nor even because it's a "hobby" -- it's not -- reading is probably the closest thing I have to a hobby -- but so that I never smoke again. Because if I quit vaping, I'd definitely be smoking again within a month, and probably within a week -- after smoking for THIRTY-NINE YEARS, that behavior isn't going to leave me. And if it did, I'd be more surprised than you can imagine -- long-standing habits are much harder to break than any chemical dependence.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Keyword. Try. Minivans are a sign of giving up on life.

Um, no, they're usually a sign that you have a baby and more shit to haul around than you can shake a stick at, or will fit in a normal car.

Andria

Ruppy_bear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
^
But u can't fight the fact that it is. If it's not the how else will the vape Industry survive. I will in the birth place of modern vaping and also where smoking is a norm. The cool factor sells and yes it's a hobby. Most vape shop sell it as a hobby here.

Every smoked a cigarette at vape shop before? I have, many times too during grand openings and even the shop owners handing out cigarettes. Shop owners will still tell it's better to vape then smoke but they aren't vaping to quit smoking. Just like race car drivers aren't driving to commute.

The vape industry can't survive by gambling everything they have on quitting smoking, cuz if they did then the industry would be in a veggie state. Then once ppl finish using it they throw it out. Industry would pretty much be screwed in a way. Plus if it's just for quitting smoking then companies wouldn't need to push out mech mods or higher tech mods. It might have started out as a way to help ppl quit smoking but it has now evolved in to something else and not just for quitting smoking.

I remember hearing this story about a vape shop owner insisting that vaping is a medical devices. He wouldn't sell to vapers that wasn't using it for that purpose nor would he even sell vape products that weren't for that purpose. Dude went out of business in less then a year.

Also mini vans are cool, your just not modding them right.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
^
But u can't fight the fact that it is. If it's not the how else will the vape Industry survive. I will in the birth place of modern vaping and also where smoking is a norm. The cool factor sells and yes it's a hobby. Most vape shop sell it as a hobby here.

Every smoked a cigarette at vape shop before? I have, many times too during grand openings and even the shop owners handing out cigarettes. Shop owners will still tell it's better to vape then smoke but they aren't vaping to quit smoking. Just like race car drivers aren't driving to commute.

The vape industry can't survive by gambling everything they have on quitting smoking, cuz if they did then the industry would be in a veggie state. Then once ppl finish using it they throw it out. Industry would pretty much be screwed in a way. Plus if it's just for quitting smoking then companies wouldn't need to push out mech mods or higher tech mods. It might have started out as a way to help ppl quit smoking but it has now evolved in to something else and not just for quitting smoking.

I remember hearing this story about a vape shop owner insisting that vaping is a medical devices. He wouldn't sell to vapers that wasn't using it for that purpose nor would he even sell vape products that weren't for that purpose. Dude went out of business in less then a year.

Also mini vans are cool, your just not modding them right.

Why would people "throw it out" when they "finish using it" ? You never finish using it, because it's NOT smoking cessation, it's smoking REPLACEMENT. There is no "finish," you simply switch from smoking to vaping. That's the whole problem with the entire smoking-cessation industry; they treat smoking like a disease to be cured, rather than a personal choice by those who enjoy it.

Most who stop smoking thx to vaping, if they quit vaping, are really damn prone to going back to smoking... because vaping is REPLACEMENT. So if you quit vaping... what do you use to replace THAT? I can't think of anything.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only when skinny jeans are combined with a beard or anything that resembles a Brooklyn lumberjack. Bastards have ruined beards.
Fuck'em, I'm a Unix geek! We had beards long before Hipsters. I also grew up Redneck in a Redneck Logging town, chopped wood every year to heat our home and wore plaid Pendleton's long before Hipsters Started copying it in an effort to try to look cool.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fuck'em, I'm a Unix geek! We had beards long before Hipsters. I also grew up Redneck in a Redneck Logging town, chopped wood every year to heat our home and wore plaid Pendleton's long before Hipsters Started copying it in an effort to try to look cool.

Yeah me too and I don't wear underwear either.....

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
We never required either, for all our kid paraphernalia.

Andria

If anyone took that comment seriously, thats on them. I would never drive one but thats because I am truck guy through and through and they are uglier than hell. No matter how you mod them.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

I still wear a beard myself, just sucks walking in somewhere in the city and seeing a bunch of soy boys walking around like power bottom lumberjacks with oiled beards and flannels.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Apparently, as far as the youth is concerned, Vaping is now reserved for douchebags.
Not all kids are the same though. As a whole, the kids in Anchorage and the kids in Brooklyn are pretty different I'd assume. That's just an example. Different regions have their own cool things. Then there's cliques to think about.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not all kids are the same though. As a whole, the kids in Anchorage and the kids in Brooklyn are pretty different I'd assume. That's just an example. Different regions have their own cool things. Then there's cliques to think about.
For as different as they may be, they're all pretty much the same when it comes right down to it. ...it just takes longer for the ones in the sticks to catch up with what's hot and what's not. I hear what you're saying though.

FWIW, BK and AK have more in common than you might think.

Though I believe that BK has more hipsters and Starbucks these days.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't care about being trendy, or blow clouds in public. I just enjoy vaping, and making my own liquid. There's trying to be trendy (vaping) in general life, and there's trying to be trendy among fellow vapers. I don't try to do either.

I don't keep my stuff immaculate. Some vapers worship their gear like shrines, and that's ok. Some think their stuff is a symbol of their status, that's ok too. Some care about matchy matchy, I usually dont. I will put a red tank on camo mod and vape it for weeks. I don't care if people think it's pretty.

Last edited:

Ruppy_bear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Funny thing is I kinda do but that's cuz it looks easier on the eye for me and sometimes it will just fad. My tesla invader 3 is blue (not sure which blue) was hoping for a black or sliver just to match my sliver Kennedy 24. I also took my friends red smok v3 just so I can use his tank to kinda match my v200 (broke the glass and just decided to go diy again).

Silver and blue kinda grew on me (would love a blue tank or cover).

My grandpa quit smoking cigarettes back in the 80s for good and this was before vaping. He wanted to hold his grandchild so he did it. I also know ppl that quit smoking from vaping. They started out using vaping as a way to substitute smoking, but then eventually they stopped when they started to cut down on vaping and then eventually stopped. It's pretty much base on willpower and how bad u want to quit. If your mental willpower isn't strong then your chances of quitting is going to easy.

I'm not vaping to quit smoking, I'm vaping cuz I like to vape and I enjoy the flavors, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to vape I guess.

Also most vape pens have life span of only a year or two the most, once that's up your pretty much force to get a new device. So u can pretty much throw it out. I know cuz I use be a ego-t for 3 to 4 years.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It might have started out as a way to help ppl quit smoking but it has now evolved in to something else and not just for quitting smoking.

Sorry, it was never only about quitting smoking and I'm afraid this type of discussion has been had on VU many times in as many years as VU has existed. "Clouds bro" and cloud compititions were all about being trendy and cool a few years ago.

Which brings me back to, who gives a shit? That's a question you have not answered. Why should I give a shit if somebody wants to be "trendy" or if they are wanting to quit smoking?

To vape or not to vape is an individual question. And it doesn't matter WHY somebody chooses to vape.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I promise, I could not possibly care less about being cool or trendy.

I started vaping because my niece had me (nagged me :) ) try hers and I loved it. I think I have maybe smoked 20 cigarettes in my life and the last one has to be 35 years ago. I never could stand cigarettes. I did chew for a good while, but I quit that probably 8 years ago. (pretty tough)

I am also a tech guy who was immediately taken in by the hobbyist side of the whole thing.

On the day of my first experience with vaping, I hadn't had nicotine in my body since I quit chewing. I am VERY health conscious since I quit drinking 13 years ago. (THAT was bondage)

I'm convinced (after MASSIVE research) that the health effects are not great enough to significantly diminish mine.

I vape because I like it.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am also btw, as a health conscious individual, all in for the way vaping is helping people get away from the slow motion suicide of tobacco. I just wanted to make that clear. I'm just one of the apparently few weird ones who vapes just because I like it. :crazy:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like all the stuff you can build to be groovy and just a cool dude......
54e36ef74b75a3787ea08b02877e1a06.jpg
f3b315a0c220388ab3c99b856d7bc511.jpg
7989b277fc18dbb20b0f35d882073f2f.jpg
ff3cc5b8113c05f4344385e90b913fc6.jpg
bd41c0d1040738ca6cf3b17f400f0b25.jpg
cc90c046c83493de6f8e9530a8e8cb13.jpg

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Started out as a way to quit smoking (smoked 22 years) that went well and now it's a hobby and I enjoy the flavors so it keeps me away from sweets as well as cigarettes..

Build my own coils, Make my own juice etc etc..

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to be trendy and modern, but using a wood mod ?
9323299521eb8b04b7e49f2273476176.jpg

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quit smoking 4 years ago because of poor health, but the pull didn't go away. Started vaping a couple of years ago because I was desperate to stay off cigarettes. I could not care less about being trendy or cool - at 64 I'm too fucking old to care about any of that. In fact I get a little embarrassed when some young person comments on my vaping. I'm not doing it to impress anybody. But I do enjoy having quality things and doing it up right and vaping and the involved gear is no exception.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quit smoking 4 years ago because of poor health, but the pull didn't go away. Started vaping a couple of years ago because I was desperate to stay off cigarettes. I could not care less about being trendy or cool - at 64 I'm too fucking old to care about any of that. In fact I get a little embarrassed when some young person comments on my vaping. I'm not doing it to impress anybody. But I do enjoy having quality things and doing it up right and vaping and the involved gear is no exception.
It's not about being trendy, it's all about living a couple of extra years here and there.... And staying away from those cancer sticks.......

Sometimes things are taken to an extreme, but if a young guy is vaping I support him and speak to him about how tough it is to quit smoking......

Don't feel embarrassed Grandpa, you should be proud your staying away from Cigarettes and doing the best you can for your health...... I'm 54 and smoked 26 years.....

And I find vaping to be helping me for real !!!

VU Sponsors