Become a Patron!

Vaping Vs Smoking

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You guys might want to add to the lists as you see fit.

Vaping pros:
1. First and foremost it's a lot less harmful to your health than smoking but you all knew that or you probably wouldn't be here.
2. Second hand vape is a lot less harmful to others in the area than smoking.
3. When you want to start vaping you turn on your device and when you want to stop you turn it off.
4. Vape comes in an endless variety of flavours.
5. Vape smells good.
6. Vape doesn't have a smell that clings to you which others find offensive.
7. Vaping is easier on the environment. Coils and empty juice bottles can be recycled.
8. No searching for a lighter to start vaping.
9. Others don't "bum" vape off of you.
10. Vaping is cheaper than smoking.

Vaping cons:
1. It's hard to do other things while vaping. You can't just carry your vape device in your mouth while you use two hands to work.
2. It's not a substitute for smoking, it's an alternative. Tobacco flavoured vape isn't tobacco smoke flavoured. It's tobacco flavoured.
3. Vape and vaping products aren't always readily available.

Smoking pros:
1. Getting cigarettes is easy and convenient.
2. If you're hands are busy just stick the cigarette in your mouth while you work.
3. Smoking delivers the nicotine rush almost immediately, whether you realize it or not. It's not necessary for most people to smoke as long or as often as a vaper vapes.
4. Some people enjoy the taste of cigarette smoke and vaping can't duplicate that.

Smoking cons:
1. Smoking is deadly to most people.
2. Second hand smoke is deadly to many people.
3. Smoke stinks, even to a smoker.
4. Smoke clings to you and makes you stink.
5. Smoking is expensive.
6. If you light a cigarette you're pretty much committed to finishing it unless you "butt" it out and carry it around increasing your stink factor.
7. You need to carry a light with you always.
8. Smoking is messy and causes tremendous waste.
9. "Have you got a smoke?" is your most often heard question.
10. Smoking devalues your house and your car.
11. Smoking makes your teeth yellow.
12. Smoking makes your skin wrinkled.
13. Smoking cause black circles below your eyes.
14. Given 11, 12 & 13 above smoking makes you sickly looking.

Keeping score:
vaping +10-3=+7
smoking +4-14=-10

vaping leads by 17 points.

Last edited:

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Another smoking con: you drop your cherry, you burn holes in whatever it lands on.

Vaping pro: NO burning stuff

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That's a good one WSF. I've not burned anything in a while now. I had a couch for 3 days and burned a hole in it. I had a car for a week and my buddy burned a hole in the back seat. I'm glad that's over.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another smoking con: you drop your cherry, you burn holes in whatever it lands on.

Vaping pro: NO burning stuff
I remember a smoke that I dropped and that went straight through a pair of nylon Adidas shorts while I was driving.

Erk469

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another vaping pro is the fact that I can go into my local bar and vape and smokers can't.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nobody has bummed a smoke off me since 2011 however they sure do like to take advantage of my kindheartedness and bum juice.
While I hate to remove any cons from the smoking list, I feel obligated to mention that 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, and 14 are all the same = bad for you.
On the vaping cons, with good planning #3 isn't an issue.
Vaping pro #5 isn't always true.
My daughter vaped some chocolate nasty shit for a while.
Was horrible if we were in the car.
Smoking pro - #1 isn't any easier or more difficult than vaping pro #5 so I'd say they cancel themselves out.
I DIY juice and order all my hardware online so I'm never out of anything.
When I smoked, I didn't order online. I did buy by the carton though.
In the event I forgot and ran out (once in 26 years) I had to make a 10 trip to town to get smokes.

So I am an ass because I couldn't add to your list (it's actually a good start by the way) and all I did was criticize.
I really didn't mean it that way, I just tend to word things like I'm a prick.
Sorry.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I think I might be in the majority when I say that I've not had anyone try and bum juice off me. I think bumming is more common amongst smokers. When I smoked I would often offer another smoker a cigarette. When I fill my tank I'm usually alone. I've never offered anyone a spot of juice. You're right that all those points are health related but some are separate, undesirable, visible effects that are not necessarily tied to poor health. People can smoke, look awful from smoking and still live long relatively healthy lives. Most of us are city dwellers and have a 711 down the street selling cigarettes 24 7. There's a lot less vape shops and they're not open all hours. There's a few variety stores in very few locations that sell juice in 10 or 15ml bottles for $10. That's not really as convenient as buying smokes. I usually buy most of my juice and gear at the BM shop. Ordering online is annoying. You really never know when it will arrive. It's hard to do spur of the moment type treat yourself shipping on line. The wait will kill you. Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming.
I can't go to the local bar and vape. Ontario has treated vaping the same as smoking in that respect. We have morons running our province and our country.

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I think I might be in the majority when I say that I've not had anyone try and bum juice off me. I think bumming is more common amongst smokers. When I smoked I would often offer another smoker a cigarette. When I fill my tank I'm usually alone. I've never offered anyone a spot of juice. You're right that all those points are health related but some are separate, undesirable, visible effects that are not necessarily tied to poor health. People can smoke, look awful from smoking and still live long relatively healthy lives. Most of us are city dwellers and have a 711 down the street selling cigarettes 24 7. There's a lot less vape shops and they're not open all hours. There's a few variety stores in very few locations that sell juice in 10 or 15ml bottles for $10. That's not really as convenient as buying smokes. I usually buy most of my juice and gear at the BM shop. Ordering online is annoying. You really never know when it will arrive. It's hard to do spur of the moment type treat yourself shipping on line. The wait will kill you. Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming.
I can't go to the local bar and vape. Ontario has treated vaping the same as smoking in that respect. We have morons running our province and our country.

Your Country learned by watching, our US government- haha! This Country is really run by morons! Besides I live in one of the worst Nanny States in the Union- New York! Oh I live closer to the Canadian border than I am to NYCity or Albany(our State capital)! Never been to NYC- but I have been to Toronto, Cobourg and Niagara Falls too many times to count, we take our boat across and many road trips!

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I live about 9 miles from Niagara falls. Ontario has our resident Nanny in the form of Premier Wynne. I can't wait to see what she does when the Federal government legalizes *arijuana. You can't even buy beer in a corner store or have a glass of wine in a public place. Now she's talking about regulating vape. A true moron!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smoking cost $7 per Day or more, vaping costs me $7 week or less. If not for that fact I might still be smoking.. Although, probably a pipe and cigar vs cigarettes.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sure a lot of DIY people have those that bum juice from them. I am sending about a dozen different flavors, a mod and tank to my ex to try and get her to quite. I will often give the remaining bottle of juice I made to friends free of charge. I do mix for some friends and family but charge them what it costs to make unless there having hard times.

I don't mind aside from a friend who asked for some juice. Made him about 100ml of juice and he knows I charge what it costs. Came out to like $5 and when we met up he said he didn't have any money on him so he would get me later. I am not going to chase $5 but I am pretty sure he is never going to give me that money and I in turn will never make him juice again. It's not about the money but more about being considerate.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Shorevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been asked by 2 lovely lady's why did you smell like cotton candy lol . so Vape does linger on your body that can be a pro or con

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think most of the pro's and con's are on point but some are subjective. Not sticking up for smoking but 'having to carry a lighter with you' is no different than 'having to carry a mod/batteries with you'. Smoking does cause burns in things if you drop it, plenty of 'shit happens' moments. Depending on the user and what mod and batteries they use, mods can be explosive or batteries can burn/melt/catch fire. In those cases safety comes down to individual responsibility either way.

When I was a smoker I rarely smelled smoke so it's not true for all smokers.

If a pack of smokes gets wet and it's a total loss you're out a few bucks. If a mod gets wet and fries the board you're out $30-100+ depending on the mod. Many of these things will be different depending on the person and their habits and situation. How much money is saved vaping depends on how much someone vapes.

Some people vape 60ml a day, others only vape 5ml a day. Some make their own juice, others buy cheap juice, still others buy premium juice. If you're one of those people who vapes 50-60ml a day and buying premade juice that runs $10-20/30ml bottle then vaping would be much more expensive. If comparing the cost of smokes what's the reference cost? A $15 pack of smokes in New York? I don't live in NY and my smokes only ran me around $2.40/pack.

Building a list to help encourage someone who is weighing their options and choices as it pertains to them specifically can be a good exercise but I think there's too many variables to make a meaningful list.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
When I was a smoker I rarely smelled smoke so it's not true for all smokers.

Some people vape 60ml a day, others only vape 5ml a day.
My wife has a smoke every evening and I can definitely smell it off her. I doubt she can smell it off herself. The maintenance guy in the office building I work at is a smoker. If he's passed through the hall ten minutes before me I can tell.
How could you vape 60ml a day? You would have to be using one of those tanks that has like 8 coils and be vaping continuously, would you not? I'm new I don't know. I vape about 4 hours a day all together and I might vape like 6ml a day, if that. Actually I've been averaging a 30 a weeks. so that's less than 5 a day. If I'm drinking I vape more. I'll vape continuously for the duration and still I wouldn't vape more than 8ml in 6 hours. If I were doing that all day, 16 hours, the math would say 8/6x16=22.33ml and my wife would say "Get out":headbang:.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape all day but it's not like when I smoked. No compulsion to finish a cigarette so where I'd usually take a couple drags and set a cig down letting it burn I can just take a few hits off the vape. I don't feel the need to stop and vape for 10-15min steady like I did when I smoked. No clue how people vape that much either, I vape around 4-5ml a day but I'm using a single coil rta.

It's true when you stop smoking the sense of smell comes back. I stayed in a hotel after I quit smoking and had to pass by a smoking room. They had the door open while the staff was cleaning and I don't know if they had a poker game in there or what. It was pretty strong, I thought damn. But then every now and then there's a certain brand of smokes or a scenario where it smells worse than others, like ashtray + wet dog. I could smell that type of odor even when I smoked 1-2 packs a day.

My old boss's cars never smelled like that, he smoked in them. My car never smelled like that. Had one customer in particular though, the inside of his car was just nasty. I think he smoked a ton with the windows rolled up, the car had an ashtray under the dash and it was literally overflowing all over the hump in the middle of the car. Just ridiculous.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Another vape pro: Its easy to "light up" in the wind.

Waffle Baron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I do know I spend way more money on vaping than I ever did smoking :p But, I do enjoy it a whole hell of alot more!

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I spend a bit more but lots is on hardware that I will be able to use again and again. So the money isn't up in smoke.:drunk:

VU Sponsors