Become a Patron!

Vaping With Asthma

BrigSnip

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Never smoked. Had asthma since a kid. I've found that vaping (1.5mg nicotine) has actually helped my breathing issues. At my last checkup, the doctor did a peak flow test. I can inhale much more air now and need my inhaler less. Like, almost never. He said the practice of slowly inhaling, holding the vapor, then slowly exhaling has done wonders. Take that, asthma!

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Taking long deep breaths should be good for you.
Be careful.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I smoked since the age of 13 -- developed asthma at 24. Unlike most asthmatic smokers who switch to vaping, my asthma *symptoms* have actually gotten worse -- more wheezing, need Advair now in addition to Ventolin, though I only needed Ventolin when I smoked. I'm sure the lack of 2 lungs full of phlegm is healthier, but it sure makes coughing-up harder, takes longer and a lot more effort. I suspect it's the lack of the bronchodilators and topical anesthetics in cigarette tobacco; my asthma probably isn't actually worse, but I feel it more than I used to.

The good news is that slowly, so very very slowly, it has gradually improved just a little in the nearly-3 yrs I've been smoke-free, so I'm hopeful that ongoing healing from 39 yrs of smoke damage may eventually bring me back to the state of "very mild asthma" I enjoyed as a smoker. And I certainly smell a lot better. :D

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Never smoked. Had asthma since a kid. I've found that vaping (1.5mg nicotine) has actually helped my breathing issues. At my last checkup, the doctor did a peak flow test. I can inhale much more air now and need my inhaler less. Like, almost never. He said the practice of slowly inhaling, holding the vapor, then slowly exhaling has done wonders. Take that, asthma!

This thread will be bookmarked

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Menthol cough drops help my asthma when I'm having non-severe problems.

I can't abide menthol in anything, I can't even stand that "death by peppermint" muscle rub stuff. I did find Koolada fairly interesting when I was first trying to transition from tobacco flavors to sweet flavors; with pineapple, it's very reminiscent of pineapple sherbet, and that seemed a lot more attractive than virginia tobacco, in the fall of 2014, just before I started trying out DIY. Then I discovered blueberry muffin, created my very own strawberry & cream, and have vaped that pretty much ever since, though occasionally I venture to something blueberry, and I have a couple other DIY flavors I make, both fairly sweet with a very mild sweet tobacco aspect -- cherry-vanilla pipe tobacco, and Smocha.

Andria

Jane808

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Hope you feel better.:inlove:

BrigSnip

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been vaping 0mg since yesterday to see if I may have gotten myself addicted to nicotine. No withdrawal symptoms yet (I googled them.)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been vaping 0mg since yesterday to see if I may have gotten myself addicted to nicotine. No withdrawal symptoms yet (I googled them.)

If you've never smoked, it would be EXTREMELY difficult if not outright impossible for you to become dependent on nicotine, and addicted? Never. There's a big difference between being cranky because you haven't had your morning coffee (dependence), and holding up a liquor store to get money for your fix (addiction), or needing to be admitted to a psych ward for suicide watch because you haven't smoked in a few days (cigarette addiction).

Andria

VU Sponsors