Vapor And Cameras

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So, I have a couple of higher end beginner cameras and lenses - A Nikon D3300 w/ a standard Nikon AF‑S DX lens and Nikon D5300 w/ a Nikon 40mm macro lens.

How susceptible to "vapor invasion" are these? I would hate to think the internals could get fogged up like the inside of my windows do in my car. That would render them pretty much unusable. But when I'm trying a longer photo shoot I need my vape. When not in use, they're kept in camera bags.

What are your thoughts?

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So, I have a couple of higher end beginner cameras and lenses - A Nikon D3300 w/ a standard Nikon AF‑S DX lens and Nikon D5300 w/ a Nikon 40mm macro lens.

How susceptible to "vapor invasion" are these? I would hate to think the internals could get fogged up like the inside of my windows do in my car. That would render them pretty much unusable. But when I'm trying a longer photo shoot I need my vape. When not in use, they're kept in camera bags.

What are your thoughts?
I have a 5 or 6 year old Canon Powershot SX200IS .
I used it outside many times, been in the rain a few times also.
With all the humidity it has been exposed to, it has never fogged up or anything.
So I would think you would be safe.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

What are your thoughts?
Send me some pics of your peeping tom collection to see if they came out foggy, lol

05ae251053c7f97b3f787c370f5a560722e7fe1f12f60-UqucLx.jpeg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That'll definitely fog up a lens.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All depends, could be just a little Snatch Uh I mean Snack..............

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So anyway...

Does anyone else have any experience with the possible effects of vapor on cameras?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Might give the outside of the lens a White film?
That would suck, but at least I can easily clean it. Really more worried about the internals.
I guess it's just safer to assume I shouldn't vape around them in enclosed areas.

I'm on a couple of photography forums, I think I'll post the same question there and see what the "experts" thinks. I'm sure most (if not all) of them really don't have much experience vaping at the level we do, but I'm sure they've had at least a little experience with fog or possibly shooting in high humidity environments such as commercial kitchens.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would not worry about the Internals of Lenses because they can be covered in dust and are sealed to protect the interior of the lenses. The Internals of the camera I would think is the same but that I can't honest say for sure.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Consider this, when I was a smoker my PC's and Workstations actually had a brown film with dust on the fans and internal components but since I have been vaping nothing but dust.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping for four years and doing photography a lot longer (product photos). I vape in my home and at work all day.
I use Nikon cameras and lenses five days a week all day long and have not suffered any ill effects from vapor. I also clean my lenses once a week and only clean my camera sensor when needed.
The D5300 isn't weatherproof but can get much wetter than you would ever believe, they have very tight tolerances. You could photograph a week long vapefest and not have to worry, just clean your lens and only change your lens in a clean area.

VU Sponsors