Become a Patron!

Vapors Tongue (Fatigue)

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
Posting this here as it doesnt really fit any other category.
So, been vaping a while and usually enjoy my flavours without any issues, I mainly vape Desserts and Aniseeds, spearmints, the odd menthol, but 95% desserts.
This last week, a problem has developed, i cant taste anything im vaping, ive got banana and custards, vanillas, cookie dough, donuts, cherry tunes, tried loads, and i get a slight, every so slight taste, but mainly, its just plain, may as well be vaping cooking oil, menthols i get the feeling in my throat from menthol, but again, no taste.
Its absolutley doing my nut in now, i dont know what to do, or how long this will last, is it permament, will it go away???
Does anyone know of anything i can do to resolve this problem, or try anything that may help.

LestatBP

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
When that happens to me I brush my teeth and drink a bunch of water - even though I always drink more than a gallon a day. If that doesn't do it, I jack the watts way up for an hour or so. If that doesn't do it, I switch to something I don't particularly like or that I usually mix with something else because it is too strong, like one of my coffees or rum or bourbon and just power blast my taste buds for a few hours. I get bored easily, so generally switch off on four tanks all day because i work at home - a subtle custard, a sweet fruit, a coffee type, and a menthol, so I don't get the fatigue that often.

Good luck. I know we do this for those pleasurable sensations and the fatigue can be a PITA.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So, been vaping a while and usually enjoy my flavours without any issues, I mainly vape Desserts and Aniseeds, spearmints, the odd menthol, but 95% desserts.
This last week, a problem has developed, i cant taste anything im vaping, ive got banana and custards, vanillas, cookie dough, donuts, cherry tunes, tried loads, and i get a slight, every so slight taste, but mainly, its just plain, may as well be vaping cooking oil, menthols i get the feeling in my throat from menthol, but again, no taste.
Its absolutley doing my nut in now, i dont know what to do, or how long this will last, is it permament, will it go away???
Does anyone know of anything i can do to resolve this problem, or try anything that may help.

I would just take a break from flavors for a day, try some unflavored liquid, or a flavor totally backwards from your usuals - like Green Tea or something, something Not sweet and Not minty

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have found that when Vapers Tongue strikes Lemon Flavored water helps as does eating some Lemon Sorbet for one solution. Another couple are to eat some Fresh Pineapple or a good Dill Pickle. This has worked for me in the past and some say sniffing coffee grinds but that doesn't work at all for me since I do that every morning~!

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
Getting some great ideas to try here guys, thankyou all, keep the ideas coming people, i will try any until i find one that works

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
I don’t think your tongue has much to do with it. The term is misleading since the sinuses play the big part in taste. Hydration can help if your tongue is dry. But, blasting your nose with concentrated flavors can lead to a loss of smell. The above suggestions can help. Sometimes you just need to dial back. When it happens to me I will only vape when I have a strong craving and then only enough puffs to satisfy those cravings. Then usually not vaping a few hours before bed and a good nights sleep will do the trick.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don’t think your tongue has much to do with it. The term is misleading since the sinuses play the big part in taste. Hydration can help if your tongue is dry. But, blasting your nose with concentrated flavors can lead to a loss of smell. The above suggestions can help. Sometimes you just need to dial back. When it happens to me I will only vape when I have a strong craving and then only enough puffs to satisfy those cravings. Then usually not vaping a few hours before bed and a good nights sleep will do the trick.

Good advice -- it's much the way I vape if I have a bad cold and can't taste anything, so why bother?! I've usually found that eating/drinking something flavored quite differently from one's vape is helpful. Or, as you say, just hang on and wait for tomorrow; usually the next day, the problem has resolved. I've never gotten a great deal of flavor from vaping, which is why when I started DIY, I was using 31% flavoring -- so it had at least a little taste as well as the nice smell. And even after 4 yrs vaping, nearly 4 yrs smoke-fre4e, I still don't taste my vape the same way I taste food or drink -- it's much more subtle, and since I've vaped the same thing for over 3 yrs, many times it doesn't really have a "flavor" at all -- it's familiar and comforting, the same way my cigarettes were -- I smoked the same brand for more than 30 yrs, and really didn't notice they had a taste at all, unless I happened to bum a smoke from someone who smoked a different brand.

Hydration is always helpful, especially to vapers, since PG/VG is grabbing moisture from the mouth and mucosa to form the visible vapor. It might also help one perceive flavors better -- but even if it doesn't, it still necessary to be very mindful of hydration if one is a vaper. If you vape 50% or more VG, don't depend on mouth/throat dryness as a signal; the emollient effect of VG will tend to camouflage that dryness, leading to severe dehydration.

Andria

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
consider using rayon over cotton wicks. when i started i had chronic vt,,, i chain vape,, anyway,, i was just about to quit vaping and go back to cigs when i found rayon.

cotton is like a kitchen rug,, it absorbs the liquid,, but not much else.
rayon is like a kids 'slip and slide',, it allows liquid to move to the coil.

many times on a fresh rayon wick you may get an 'off taste',, to avoid that,, right after you wick it,, flood the wick and hit the power button a couple of times.

i haven't had vt in at least 2 years since switching.

hope this helps you or somebody else down the road.

happy vaping! :)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Oh about the permanent thing, NO! Lol, you know how sometimes you walk into a new room and get a big whiff of something, but after a little while you forgot you smelled it? It's just desensitization, our bodies are great at adapting to things we're used to, including smells. That's why a change once in a while will do the trick. Let your nose forget those desert flavors for a while , then when you "walk back into the room" your sense of smell may be even more tickled and happy than before

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
consider using rayon over cotton wicks. when i started i had chronic vt,,, i chain vape,, anyway,, i was just about to quit vaping and go back to cigs when i found rayon.

cotton is like a kitchen rug,, it absorbs the liquid,, but not much else.
rayon is like a kids 'slip and slide',, it allows liquid to move to the coil.

many times on a fresh rayon wick you may get an 'off taste',, to avoid that,, right after you wick it,, flood the wick and hit the power button a couple of times.

i haven't had vt in at least 2 years since switching.

hope this helps you or somebody else down the road.

happy vaping! :)

Yeah... until you get a dry hit from rayon and really wanna divorce your mouth and nose! Dry hits from rayon make burnt cotton taste GREAT! :giggle:

Andria

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah... until you get a dry hit from rayon and really wanna divorce your mouth and nose! Dry hits from rayon make burnt cotton taste GREAT! :giggle:

Andria
i dunno,, the burnt cotton really bothered me dry rayon is more just annoying,, enough i rarely get a dry hit,, tend to always be playing with the tanks to keep the wick near a flooded state or use a pico squeeze to really flood it hahah :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i dunno,, the burnt cotton really bothered me dry rayon is more just annoying,, enough i rarely get a dry hit,, tend to always be playing with the tanks to keep the wick near a flooded state or use a pico squeeze to really flood it hahah :)

Oh, you'll know if you ever get a dry hit from rayon. Seriously, you'll want to remove your mouth and nose from your body and throw them away!!!! That is the foulest taste I have ever experienced, by a very long mile.

Andria

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moderated....removed content

Last edited by a moderator:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

When I was in high school, back when KISS ruled teenaged boys dreams, a guy in my school one day decided to play Gene Simmons and breathe fire. He ended up setting his hair on fire... all that long beautiful 70s hair, gone. He came to school the next day with a crewcut, no doubt courtesy of his irate dad. :giggle:

Andria

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
giphy.gif

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since I learned to avoid flavorings that I am sensitive to I have had NO vapers tongue.
Vapers tongue ins not from vaping the same flavor too long.
I have been vaping the same custard 90% of the time for over 2 years and Zero Vapers tongue.
I am 100% DIY since I have bad reactions to the ingredients in several flavoring.
If I ignore the tingly lips warning I can get inflamed mouth, throat and lungs and total loss of taste for a few days.

Just my opinion but I think the same chemicals cause vapers tongue in some who are maybe just a bit sensitive to them unlike me who it would lead to serious issues.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Pretty hard to get vapers tongue with such low percentages. No taste to start with so how are you ever going to tell if you can't taste basically flavorless?

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was in high school, back when KISS ruled teenaged boys dreams, a guy in my school one day decided to play Gene Simmons and breathe fire. He ended up setting his hair on fire... all that long beautiful 70s hair, gone. He came to school the next day with a crewcut, no doubt courtesy of his irate dad. :giggle:

Andria
HAHA I remember those days,, a guy I knew burnt both of his eyebrows off,,, he was wicked fun!

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moderated....removed content
hmmm,, i post a fire test on cotton to show its about the same as the posted rayon fire test,, and i get my post deleted and see a post about derailing a thread by the 1 guy always trying to pick fights where ever he goes?

later, peace

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
hmmm,, i post a fire test on cotton to show its about the same as the posted rayon fire test,, and i get my post deleted and see a post about derailing a thread by the 1 guy always trying to pick fights where ever he goes?

later, peace

It says mine is edited by a moderator too, but I don't see any edits, nor can I imagine what there is to be edited; nothing against the rules there. Your post, well I suppose it had to be removed to keep idiots from trying out a child's prank. :facepalm: Since we're all children here, y'know, who don't know any better. :facepalm:

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and see a post about derailing a thread by the 1 guy always trying to pick fights where ever he goes?
let me guess Steve?
Have him on ignore but if his is the lat post I see that he did post but not what it contains unless I peek.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't think there's anything in the rules about staying forcibly on-topic. People talk. Some of us do it with a keyboard. Over at asshat central, if you go off-topic, you risk being suspended or banned... but here... you usually have to actually DO SOMETHING WRONG to be moderated. Not sure why posting a kid's prank is "wrong," but you know... moderators are fallible humans like the rest of us. Even if they don't think so. ;)

I'm pretty much with Cromwell on the issue of vaper's tongue; I'm not really sure that it really exists. But I do know for a fact that ex-smokers have a great deal of healing to do, to be able to taste things "normally," and that amount of healing is different for every one of us -- I still use about 25% flavoring in my vape, but I don't expect it to jump up and down in my mouth and scream STRAWBERRY!!!!!!!!!!! It tastes good enough to vape all day every day for over 3 yrs, so that's good enough. I came down from the original 31% flavoring because vaping it all day every day, after a while it was just overwhelming, just *too much*.

Andria

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
let me guess Steve?
Have him on ignore but if his is the lat post I see that he did post but not what it contains unless I peek.
thanks,, others contacted me to use the ignore feature as they have. I dont stop by too often,, just would like a pleasant visit with everyone.

i hope your journey is going well, mine keeps getting better :) ap on my phone says i have save $10k not smoking! been busy looking to buy land to build a tiny house,,, we built a 'mcmansion' back in the day,, but now we need so little. We want enough yard for a garden and our dog,, and i may need a mad scientist garage for all of the crazy things i like to test and build.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes Andria and different flavorings will require different percentages to work out.
I have some strawberry that is about 15%, but my custard mix is about 7%.
And quite nice at that percentage for me.
However my sense of taste is a bit more sensitive than most peoples is I think.
Like BBQ chips for instance, I like the flavor but they are just too strong for me.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think there's anything in the rules about staying forcibly on-topic. People talk. Some of us do it with a keyboard. Over at asshat central, if you go off-topic, you risk being suspended or banned... but here... you usually have to actually DO SOMETHING WRONG to be moderated. Not sure why posting a kid's prank is "wrong," but you know... moderators are fallible humans like the rest of us. Even if they don't think so. ;)

I'm pretty much with Cromwell on the issue of vaper's tongue; I'm not really sure that it really exists. But I do know for a fact that ex-smokers have a great deal of healing to do, to be able to taste things "normally," and that amount of healing is different for every one of us -- I still use about 25% flavoring in my vape, but I don't expect it to jump up and down in my mouth and scream STRAWBERRY!!!!!!!!!!! It tastes good enough to vape all day every day for over 3 yrs, so that's good enough. I came down from the original 31% flavoring because vaping it all day every day, after a while it was just overwhelming, just *too much*.

Andria

i think vt is a combo of many things,, and the combo can be dif for everyone. all i know is rayon was able to keep the ejuice/eliquid flow more consistent for my chain vaping habits.

the mods contacted me,, the video i linked had a kid doing a stupid stunt,, i wasn't thinking about kids when i posted it,, i was trying to show how fast cotton catches fire too... i brain farted the rest of the content/message with the kid........so the mods 'did the right thing'......i should have found a better video.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes Andria and different flavorings will require different percentages to work out.
I have some strawberry that is about 15%, but my custard mix is about 7%.
And quite nice at that percentage for me.
However my sense of taste is a bit more sensitive than most peoples is I think.
Like BBQ chips for instance, I like the flavor but they are just too strong for me.

You know I have a "super smeller" rather than a "super taster," but I think I might have just a *touch* of the super-taster thing, because as much as I love BBQ chips, they often make me cough.... I think it's just such intense flavor, it tickles my throat -- I often get the same tickle from chocolate-covered cherries, which also have very intense flavor.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I see a quote from the Returds buttbuddy who reports back to ECF.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks,, others contacted me to use the ignore feature as they have. I dont stop by too often,, just would like a pleasant visit with everyone.

i hope your journey is going well, mine keeps getting better :) ap on my phone says i have save $10k not smoking! been busy looking to buy land to build a tiny house,,, we built a 'mcmansion' back in the day,, but now we need so little. We want enough yard for a garden and our dog,, and i may need a mad scientist garage for all of the crazy things i like to test and build.

LOL going well for me 3 years off of cigs last January. b over 3 and yes a well equipped laboratory is nice :)
LOL yes a well equipped Laboratory is nice.

3+ years off of 40 yrs of smoking. 100% DIY for over 3 years due to my problems with lots of commercial ejuice ingredients.
And doing well.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow someones post gets edited and I get blamed? Must be some paranoia going because maybe a Moderator saw something they didn't like?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know I have a "super smeller" rather than a "super taster," but I think I might have just a *touch* of the super-taster thing, because as much as I love BBQ chips, they often make me cough.... I think it's just such intense flavor, it tickles my throat -- I often get the same tickle from chocolate-covered cherries, which also have very intense flavor.

Andria
My smeller comes and goes. Very sensitive at times and not so much at others.
But then I am a chronic sinus sufferer and a Septal Deviate :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
let me guess Steve?

Yeah keep saying you have me on ignore, people PM me saying how full of shit you are since you respond to every post acting like you never saw mine.

Last edited:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL going well for me 3 years off of cigs last January. b over 3 and yes a well equipped laboratory is nice :)
LOL yes a well equipped Laboratory is nice.

3+ years off of 40 yrs of smoking. 100% DIY for over 3 years due to my problems with lots of commercial ejuice ingredients.
And doing well.
I bought some retail ejuice a couple weeks ago,,,,,,,dang that stuff was 'sugary' and gunked up my coils quick. I too have been 'diy' 100% for nearly 2 years. Finally down to about 8% flavoring,, vaping the same recipe for most of that time. I dont seem to tire of it. ..-.>>> got lucky on that. My smoking was near yours 2pad/35years. I dont miss the cigs. I wander between 0-4mg nic, alll depending on my mood or what people i will be around.

Martymcfly

Member For 1 Year
I just got a vapers a few days ago. The first time it happened to me I had to wait 3 days or so before I could taste any flavor. This time I was able to get away with just trying out a new flavor the next day. My favorites dont taste as flavorful as they usually do still, but there coming back slowly.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It says mine is edited by a moderator too, but I don't see any edits, nor can I imagine what there is to be edited; nothing against the rules there. Your post, well I suppose it had to be removed to keep idiots from trying out a child's prank. :facepalm: Since we're all children here, y'know, who don't know any better. :facepalm:

Andria
the mods suggested I find another video,, start around 1:40

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got a vapers a few days ago. The first time it happened to me I had to wait 3 days or so before I could taste any flavor. This time I was able to get away with just trying out a new flavor the next day. My favorites dont taste as flavorful as they usually do still, but there coming back slowly.
check your email box at the upper right :)

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I chain vape 25/8, and I find that I don't really get vaper's tongue often as I tend to switch up my juice each time my tank/bottle is empty. The difference in flavors makes it so my tongue doesn't go numb I guess. Also, i find that using some Vick's inhaler or Boom Boom helps too! Clears up any sinuses and smelling issues in a jiffy!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the mods suggested I find another video,, start around 1:40

I've never ever had my cotton wick catch fire -- Achilles are GREAT attys. :D Why can't other manufacturers make something with such a great tight draw and superior flavor?

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My smeller comes and goes. Very sensitive at times and not so much at others.
But then I am a chronic sinus sufferer and a Septal Deviate :)

I've often wished I could go back to a "smoker's nose" without having to go back to smoking. :giggle: I'm trying out Flonase for my godawful allergies, and it might be serving the purpose -- my son told me today that my rose that's blooming smelled GREAT... so I went and sniffed it; couldn't smell a thing. So I may be snorting up Flonase in perpetuity. :giggle:

Andria

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
WOW, a lot to catch up on in 24Hrs. Ok so i did experiment a little last night. Coffee inhalation did nothing, started drinking more water, see how that goes, i did get a jar of pickled onions and ate some, that somewhat helped but only for an hour, tried sucking peppermint and that helps a little for a short time. I think i will try to cut back a little tho and see how it goes, Unfortunatley i smoked heavily, 40+ a day and only gave up in January this year, i am still on Nic and i do chain vape, ive lost count of how many times a day i refill my tank, if anything, the lack of flavour and enjoyment right now has forcibly made me cut back slightly on chain vaping, so im going to avoid my desserts for a short while, i will stick with the fruit, menthols, blackjacks etc for a bit and see if it helps any as i can taste them a bit better, then ill give the desserts a go again, i thank all of you for the advice, i know most of you have probably been where i am right now, and its frustrating, but im determined to plod on, again, many thanks, i appreciate all your comments.

VU Sponsors