Become a Patron!

Variable Voltage vs. Variable Wattage (for dummies)

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Without getting confusing, the easiest way to explain the difference is with a metaphor relating to a car's transmission.

Variable voltage (VV) is like a manual transmission. You have more range and versatility, but if you go out of the "safe range" for your heating element, you risk burning out the coil.

Variable wattage (VW) is like an automatic transmission. Most good VW devices will give you a safe range (5-12w for example) where most heating elements can safely run.

This is not an exact science, and some VV or VW devices will be more accurate than others, but I find this is the best way to understand the difference without getting into math equations and whatnot.

Thoughts?

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
There's a lot more to it, that's why this is the for dummies. I encourage someone else to elaborate, but it's easy to get confusing in a hurry.

3.5v on 2.2ohm quickly gets to question mark bubbles over n00bs heads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While I think your analogies are good, they only made sense to me because I already know the answer.
I didn't really see an actual explanation of the two in there.
Just my humble opinion.

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Yes, but to Vape, there's no need to understand the math. This is the answer to someone that just upgraded from and ego to an MVP2 and doesn't understand ANYTHING but needs to know how to use their new device.

If you have a DNA it's a lot easier because you can see the numbers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the cruise control analogy works better. VV is manually using your accelerator to go at the "speed"(power in the case of vaping) you want and VW is setting cruise control once you've decided on your preferred "speed"(power).

And that still isn't very accurate imo. D:

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think both of those analogies are probably the best way to state VV or VW because to get into the actual mechanics of how they differ would require more usage of higher mathematics and some electrical engineering with a smattering of physics. But to put it into the easiest to understand analogies I think you both are pretty spot on. Happy Vaping all.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
VW in theory is a "set it and forget it" type of thing. It will adjust the voltage as the resistance of a coil changes keeping it consistent. Great if you run pretty close to the same Ω coil all the time and don't change up much. But for people that run different Ω coils all the time VW is not that useful since you will be constantly changing the voltage anyway.

That is my take on it anyway.

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Sounds like Rip said the same exact thing that I said, except as soon as he starts talking ohms and volts and watts, n00bs stop listening...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I like to keep it simple.

But here is a great link for you that gives you a rough idea as well as a link to a chart.

http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/volts-vs-ohms/

Me, I normally stick to a coil in the 2.0 to 2.5 ohm range depending on what topper I am using at the moment. And when I change to another liquid I just start out at 7.5 watts and work my way up until if find the perfect (for me) setting for that flavor and my mood.

And the VW setting keeps things constant as gunk builds on my coils and the resistance increases until it is time for a dry burn, cleaning and a new wick.

Hope this helps.

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
4h1z.jpg

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sounds like Rip said the same exact thing that I said, except as soon as he starts talking ohms and volts and watts, n00bs stop listening...

His pupils are too big for the lighting,

Rip_Trippers_eyes.jpg

but he's fun to watch with closed captions on.

Brassmonkey4.jpg
Brassmonkey7.jpg
Brassmonkey12.jpg
Brassmonkey10.jpg

Reactions: Ace

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thanks for a very simple start

Monoxide

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I did when I started out was use the "rule of 2" Take the ohm's of your attached atomizer lets just say it's 1.8 Ohm in this case you add 2 to that making a new number of 3.8 That is your magic starting number for your voltage. You can adjust up or down slightly from this number to fine tune how you like your vape but it's always a nice place to start out at for any atty. After you find out what voltage you like your vape at you can take the voltage number (3.8) and multiply that by itself then divide by the Ohn's and you will get your watts 3.8x3.8/1.8=8watts. Set your device to 8 watts and you will have that same vape that you liked no matter what atomizer you attach to it.

There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. I found some by a VapePowered while browsing another forum that might interest you. The videos might also be here, I haven't browsed yet.

VU Sponsors