Become a Patron!

Variable wattage and voltage.

I am using my new mega VV batt and Aspire Nautilus, and with my lack of knowledge, I can't find a "sweet spot". Can someone explain to me the basic knowledge of variable voltage and power?

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
For the average vaper (none rebuilders) - Wattage will give you a consistent vape.
You find the wattage you like and no matter what ohms (within reason) you put on your mod it will adjust the voltage automatically.

You can also switch to VV mode if your just using your Nautilus and adjust up by .1 until you find what feels right. Try doing two or three vapes per adjustment though. Like Joe said, with VW you can "set it and forget it". I personally like using voltage because in the morning I vape at a lower level until my lungs settle and then move it up to my regular level after coffee. Usually 3.6 - 4.0v

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me, I've found that 9-10 watts on the Nautilus is about right for maximum vapor production. Any higher and I find myself dealing with dry hits after 2-3 puffs

Now that I understan and foud the calculater I have found 10 is about perfect! I just didn't realize you had to still set your VV into the equation. I messed up my DBCigs battery which is the BEST with the nautilus tank!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just as long as you find your sweet spot.

And FYI, that can vary from liquid to liquid.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yeah I find the biggest variation is from the types of liquid. I keep mainly my fruits in my nat.

I have fruit vapes in my rotation as well. And the setting from each fruit vape can be quite different. Up to two watts!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am using my new mega VV batt and Aspire Nautilus, and with my lack of knowledge, I can't find a "sweet spot". Can someone explain to me the basic knowledge of variable voltage and power?
Just something to mention remember man that on the Nautilus adjusting the airflow can change the VV/W that you run I know when my GF first got one she was whining alot )not saying you are my GF just whines.. and it was nothing more than airflow and a tad of a tweak on wattage I agree with Joe that using Wattage is just better all around some will argue but thats IMHO. :)

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
For me, someone who makes mods with both VV and VW capability, IMHO VW is a gimmick. The whole idea that your coil changes resistance
over time (which is does), and you need the electronics to somehow compensate for it is silly. It happens so slowly that you can easily do it yourself by increasing or decreasing the voltage a little. Also, more inconsistency is caused by how wet your wick is than the power which is going to the coil. You are going to get dryer (or wetter) hits no matter if your mod is in VV or VW mode as your wick dries out.

And finally, there is enough inconsistency between juices that a single power setting for every juice doesn't make sense either.

So, to summarize, even if your mod is keeping the output power at 10W (or whatever), you are still going to need to adjust it a little when the wick gets wetter or drier, if you change the juice, and if you change the wick and/or coil (by changing the atomizer) So this idea of "set it and forget it" is really nonsense.

That said, okay, some people prefer VW over VV which is why I make my mods to provide both. But VW is just a marketing gimmick, really.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
@Artisan Vaping I somewhat agree with what you're saying. Everything needs to get adjusted. All attys and juices will have a personal sweet spot and you will have a better idea of what you're exactly doing with VV. On the other hand, for newbies and less informed VW is a nice feature to have. In theory you could find a "sweet spot" in wattage and in theory put any other atty on there without checking resistance and experience something similar.

Example, a brand new vaper has a atty with a 3.5 ohm resistance, gets hit VV setting to where he wants it. Now gets a 2.0 ohm tank. They will be in for a bit of a surprise. Same case if set in VW mode, it will become a much more similar vape. Many people have no idea why or how their devices work the way they do. VW in that sense makes it easier for people, especially newbies and those that don't have the Ohm's Law app on their main screen.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Dhim, you are right and I admit that VW is probably a better feature for newbies. But this idea of "set it and forget it" is more hype than
anything else. This is of course my opinion, and some people swear by VW (and more power too them), I just think of it more as
a gimmick, is all.

Not as bad as a puff counter, though. Why the hell the Chinese insist on putting that in mods I will never know.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Dhim and @Artisan Vaping, you both (of course) are correct. And now about that puff counter.......... Ah shit, I got nothing! lol

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And that sir, is gonna take WAY tooooo many beer to contemplate!

DB Cigs

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Many folks just adjust their device until it feels right, small increments at a time. Seems that you need to sample multiple hits at each setting to get an accurate depiction. Hope this is of some value

1truk

Member For 4 Years
For me, someone who makes mods with both VV and VW capability, IMHO VW is a gimmick. The whole idea that your coil changes resistance
over time (which is does), and you need the electronics to somehow compensate for it is silly. It happens so slowly that you can easily do it yourself by increasing or decreasing the voltage a little. Also, more inconsistency is caused by how wet your wick is than the power which is going to the coil. You are going to get dryer (or wetter) hits no matter if your mod is in VV or VW mode as your wick dries out.

And finally, there is enough inconsistency between juices that a single power setting for every juice doesn't make sense either.

So, to summarize, even if your mod is keeping the output power at 10W (or whatever), you are still going to need to adjust it a little when the wick gets wetter or drier, if you change the juice, and if you change the wick and/or coil (by changing the atomizer) So this idea of "set it and forget it" is really nonsense.

That said, okay, some people prefer VW over VV which is why I make my mods to provide both. But VW is just a marketing gimmick, really.

** I agree with most of what you say, however, with VW your adjustment capabilities are more sensitive than with VV. By that I mean a VW adjustment of ".1" is not a 1 to 1 comparison with VV at ".1". This may seem like its splitting hairs but in my experience it can make a considerable difference. **

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried VW a few times and found that I change my juices too many times over the day for a single "set it and forget it" wattage setting to work optimally for me with each juice....I pretty much always use VV anymore and have a rule of thumb that works well for me....I set the voltage 2 volts above the coil resistance and adjust up or down slightly till I get the vape I like with the particular juice I'm vaping...for instance, if the coil resistance is 1.8 ohm, I set the voltage for 3.8 volts and adjust up or down slightly in .1 increments...doing it this way has worked well for me and gets me to the sweet spot very quickly with very little fiddling around...

1truk

Member For 4 Years
I've tried VW a few times and found that I change my juices too many times over the day for a single "set it and forget it" wattage setting to work optimally for me with each juice....I pretty much always use VV anymore and have a rule of thumb that works well for me....I set the voltage 2 volts above the coil resistance and adjust up or down slightly till I get the vape I like with the particular juice I'm vaping...for instance, if the coil resistance is 1.8 ohm, I set the voltage for 3.8 volts and adjust up or down slightly in .1 increments...doing it this way has worked well for me and gets me to the sweet spot very quickly with very little fiddling around...
Agreed .. I use a very similar procedure as well.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
** I agree with most of what you say, however, with VW your adjustment capabilities are more sensitive than with VV. By that I mean a VW adjustment of ".1" is not a 1 to 1 comparison with VV at ".1". This may seem like its splitting hairs but in my experience it can make a considerable difference. **

Actually I was thinking about this a couple of days ago while calibrating/measuring the SuperMax. With a .5 ohm load, for instance, the difference in output voltage between 30 and 31 watts is 3.937 V - 3.873 V = 0.064 volts. That is a very small adjustment to give you a difference of 1 Watt. If you are adjusting by 0.1 Watt increments (as many of the new chips do) then 30 to 30.1 Watts is 3.879 - 3.873 for a change of 0.006 volts. First, I doubt that the accuracy of any commercial mod's voltage regulator/sensor can measure/deliver a 6 millivolt change accurately. Second, do you really think you are going to notice a 6 millivolt increase in the output in terms of how it vapes?

What's my point? Any mod that adjusts by .1 W increments is blowing smoke up your ass. Anything less than 1 Watt increments over about 20 Watts or so isn't doing squat in a single increment. At very low wattages (say below 10W) then less than a Watt increment makes sense. For instance 5W to 5.5W is a change of 0.133V into a 1.5 ohm load. Over 50 Watts, though, it only gets worse - the difference between 70 and 71 Watts is 42 millivolts! That is getting very close to the noise floor of the electronics.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Actually I was thinking about this a couple of days ago while calibrating/measuring the SuperMax. With a .5 ohm load, for instance, the difference in output voltage between 30 and 31 watts is 3.937 V - 3.873 V = 0.064 volts. That is a very small adjustment to give you a difference of 1 Watt. If you are adjusting by 0.1 Watt increments (as many of the new chips do) then 30 to 30.1 Watts is 3.879 - 3.873 for a change of 0.006 volts. First, I doubt that the accuracy of any commercial mod's voltage regulator/sensor can measure/deliver a 6 millivolt change accurately. Second, do you really think you are going to notice a 6 millivolt increase in the output in terms of how it vapes?

What's my point? Any mod that adjusts by .1 W increments is blowing smoke up your ass. Anything less than 1 Watt increments over about 20 Watts or so isn't doing squat in a single increment. At very low wattages (say below 10W) then less than a Watt increment makes sense. For instance 5W to 5.5W is a change of 0.133V into a 1.5 ohm load. Over 50 Watts, though, it only gets worse - the difference between 70 and 71 Watts is 42 millivolts! That is getting very close to the noise floor of the electronics.
Again, I'm not trying to split hairs here and I do not have anything that goes above 30W (nor do I care to at this point) so I would tend to agree with your assessment especially when looking at the numbers. However, with my 30W BM running lower power I CAN differentiate especially with certain types of juice and the build type. Is the change earth shattering to the point where I would say "I have to have VW" absolutely not. Do I think that VW Is the only way to go? No way. Will I still buy from Provape even if they never come out with a VW device? You Betcha. Can I tell a difference between 21.0 watts and 21.5 watts with my setup? YES. Is it earth shattering? No. Is it preferable to me? Yes. And we can look at the numbers all day long and on paper and say "See here, that change is minuscule, no one could tell a difference" when in practical application a very small change can sometimes mean the difference between a mediocre and an awesome vape experience.

All that being said (I know I sound like a pro Power Bigot here but I'm really not) I could easily do without VW -vs- VV personally, but what I have a hard time doing without is regulation. I know, I know .. new battery chemistry, new battery ratings, this, that, and the other make things safe. However, my paranoia will never allow me to take these batteries to the bleeding edge without regulation of some sort. Just me !

Last edited:

VU Sponsors