Become a Patron!

Variable wattage question. Help!

i have an RX200. I want to run it anywhere from 120w - 200w. I have 3 batteries in it rated for 25 amps output. What ohm range do I need to run to be safe or do ohms even matter?

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ohms matter, but the surface area of coil is EXTREMELY important. Not enough wire surface and you chance catching the wire on fire.... It's a bad day, I promise. I run dual caterpillar track wire 28g*4 wrapped in a 30g (pre-built wire but I make the coils) 316L SS at about 0.2 ohms at 110 safely, you could probably push them at 130+ but anything more gets too hot for my taste

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
i have an RX200. I want to run it anywhere from 120w - 200w. I have 3 batteries in it rated for 25 amps output. What ohm range do I need to run to be safe or do ohms even matter?

Only time Ohms come into factor with a regulated mod is the lowest the chipset will allow to fire as well as the highest the chipset can handle, generally this with modern mods is in the 0.1/0.15 ohm to 2.5/3.0ohm range, every time you hit the fire button, chip reads the coil, if the coil is within its programmed range it will fire, if below it will error out and not fire at all.

Wattage you can run on the RX200 is pretty simple to figure out, the formula is (Watts/Lowest Battery Voltage)/90% Chipset Efficiency=Maximum Amps that Watt setting will handle, you can also reverse it to figure out what your batteries can handle, voltage per battery before mod shut off is about 3.2v per battery, you already know you amps 25amps, the mod is a series battery setup so Voltage X Number of Batteries, 3.2v X 3 = 9.6v lowest.

25amps X 90% (or 0.9) = 22.5 X 9.6v= 216watts max those batteries in that mod can handle safely
200watts/9.6v=20.8333/90%=23.1481amps the mod pulls max with the stock firmware, if it has the 250watt firmware upgrade, like shown above line 216watts max
216/9.6=22.5/90%=25amps

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/modrange.html - Steam engine has a page that will allow you to put in your mod specs and it creates a graph that shows you where you will get the best results. Many mods also have presets so you don't have to know everything, but if it doesn't you need to know what is max voltage/current power and ohm range of the mod. It doesn't have RX200, but it does have RX200S which is the same specs I think..

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 06.10.58.png Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 06.06.12.png

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Base RX200 is 200watts without firmware upgrade, the RX200S comes standard with the upgraded firmware so out of the box it is 250watts over the basic stock RX200.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Base RX200 is 200watts without firmware upgrade, the RX200S comes standard with the upgraded firmware so out of the box it is 250watts over the basic stock RX200.
Yeah I was too lazy to put in the specs, just pointing OP in the right direction...OPs have to do 'some' work lol. It boils down to there is a range on any mod where your build will not hit the voltage, power or current limitations of the device so it will work as expected. As long as your build fits in the graph where it can provide more than the power you want you are good to go.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Since it is a regulated device, it is about as safe as any other regulated device. Meaning even regulated devices fail, although it is rare, there is a chance. This has nothing to do with your wattage or resistance, it is just a total chip fail. (always use good quality samsung, sony, lg for this reason)

Next others are correct. The device will not fire higher or lower than the manufacturers preset limits. (usually 0.10 ohm to about 3.0 ohm )
The only other way your ohms affect your vape is in regard to the units output controller. Output Power = Voltage2/Resistance. So your mod might be able to do 200w but is limited to that formula. This is one reason people use parallel coils and parallel core claptons. Lower resistance = more power (in it's simplest terms) This mostly matters for very large coils or coils with a lot of wraps (such as a cloud coil, which can be huge)

And finally... until you become very good at building coils and can build to a specific *target wattage*, what you "want" to vape at makes no difference. Meaning, you might have a coil that runs great at 55w. The fact that you want to use 200 watts makes no difference. Consider taste, temp, first and set wattage to how you like that.

Target wattage will factor in things like power available, vape temperature desired, ramp up time, and such. No good making a coil that runs 200w if it doesn't produce vapor or the desired flavor/ temp, right?

Your atomizer will also factor into this. Example.. a MutationX will let you use higher wattage (for more cloud) than a Tsunami, using identical coils. Reason.. Air flow. MutationX is a cloud atomizer, Tsunami is a flavor atomizer.

Tsunami is the black one. Silver is MutationX V4

picture001.jpg

VU Sponsors